Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Peru

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Peru V 4.6

Postby natty dread on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:36 pm

The water currently... it seems to be in a different angle, it doesn't look like water looked from above, it looks like water you're looking at from the side, you know what I mean?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Rih0 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:15 pm

The water seem a little to the side

I understood natty. I will be looking for a better image, or maybe just changing this one. It can also be just eye efect, since its smaller on the up part.

I think there would be nice clearer regions

I also understand your point. I just prefer the way they are. I may change it eventually, but its fine like this.

take a peru vegetation/geological map from google and put it behind half transparent colors

I dont know if taking a google image will help too much. you can see that I already tryed something like that on my african horn map(didn`t worked very much).

as for any tipic peruvian cultural things, I will think a little if I got space on the map for that.

Im liking your opinions, give more ideas!
Private Rih0

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:10 pm

natty_dread wrote:The water currently... it seems to be in a different angle, it doesn't look like water looked from above, it looks like water you're looking at from the side, you know what I mean?

I do, at least. It's rather distracting, I must say.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:14 pm

Some other things:
1. You need to be more consistent with your river bridges.
2. Your ports and wooden bridge are really fuzzy.
3. The letters are a bit fuzzy in the large version.

;) Sully ;)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ender516 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:54 pm

The bridges are consistent. The wooden bridges connect different territories, while the land bridges connect two parts of the same territory that happen to lie on different sides of a river.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Ah, I see.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Rih0 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:48 pm

yeah, well, I thought about changing that. I will think a bit.
Private Rih0

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:05 pm

On the whole i think you're on the right way, but as i notice that some things are really well done, I also see others that need a rework.
The first thing i notice are the colors, i like them, but they are bad for colorblind people:
I know that you've a minimap, but minimap is another problem, but i'd like to talk about it later.
Borders are clear and visible, i'd suggest to use bridges also for brazil and cuzco instead of using those bold black lines.
I think you should try to draw smaller piers, nothing wrong with what you have now, but i'm pretty sure that they will look better if smaller.
In the same way you should try to draw sea connections with smaller dots, maybe 3px instead of 5.
The textures you used for the sea doesn't fit with the rest of the map, i think you should try to draw the sea or use a different texture, with more trasparency and less zoomed.
Legends and minimap.....mmmm no offense but i want to be honest, they doesn't work at all imo.
The minimap looks like a jigsaw puzzle, you don't have the space for all those small shapes. You could try to increase the width of your map (you have 30px left) and rework complitely the legend/minimap: place the bonuses part in the bottom left corner, get rid of the passable legend that's self explanatory.If something is not impassable, then is passable. Move the Keywords in the middle (with other 30 px you should have the space to insert abbreviation in the main legend without a dedicated inset), then place everything else on the top of the legend, under the flag.
"estabilished 1824" ....isn't it better near the flag?
Nothing against natty or the fact that you want to add his name on your map, but first find the space to fit everything, then use the space left to thank people.

As said there is still some work to do, but it is a good map, so go ahead :)
Looking forward your next update

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Rih0 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:49 pm

thanks noone(thenobodies)
Private Rih0

Postby RjBeals on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:07 pm

this map just looks blurry for some reason.
Private RjBeals

Postby iancanton on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:21 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:The textures you used for the sea doesn't fit with the rest of the map, i think you should try to draw the sea or use a different texture, with more trasparency and less zoomed.

the sea effect looks good on its own but, as nobodies says, it's too zoomed-in, so it makes the land look too flat and featureless.

to help a little bit with this, try putting a mountain at the start of each river, to suggest that the water flows from high ground to lower ground. one mountain (nevado mismi, which is the most distant source of the river amazon) will be where cuzco and puno meet arequipa, while the other mountain will be where north loreto and san martin meet amazonas region. these mountains will also help to form a visual barrier at the start of each river.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/73784.html

white caps on some of the mountains will give an illusion of height. also try a tree-like texture in the jungle, perhaps like the one in siege!, to remove the flatness.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Rih0 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:28 pm

Guys of the foundr, do NOt trash this. I just need to find some time for all that improvements
Private Rih0

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:21 am

Rih0 wrote:Guys of the foundr, do NOt trash this. I just need to find some time for all that improvements

Don't worry here nobody wants to bin your map, everyone has a real life ;)
But, if you can't find the necessary time to work on it, a viable option could be to put it on vacation for a while and restart to work on it when you have more free time. :)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:06 am

Haw we doing here? Are we looking at a vacation? Let me know!
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Rih0 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:40 am

actually, I dont know. Im not finding any great ideas for this map, and also, I dont have much time for working on it. Maybe next month I can upgrade it.
Private Rih0

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Rih0 wrote:actually, I dont know. Im not finding any great ideas for this map, and also, I dont have much time for working on it. Maybe next month I can upgrade it.

This map is now on vacation for a while; under mapmaker request.
When you're ready to continue this project, post an update and send a PM to one of the Foundry Mods. :)

[Moved]
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Re: Peru V 5.0

Postby Rih0 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:50 am

Finnally! Peru is now back on track with all new graphics (I had to make the map all over again) :cry:
Thanks everyone who asked me to keep it. Hope its better now.

V 5.0: Sorry for adding apurimac to keywords, I couldn't find any better font.

The next upgrade will be bridges. Any ideas?
Private Rih0

Postby theBastard on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:41 pm

looks good. I´m not expert, but I think the colours will be still problems as in previous version. you need another colour of mountains and maybe all coast bonuses will need more different colours.

are these connection lanes between ports and Ecuador and Chile needed? why not only "the ports are connect to each other"? - it could gives more moves. and I think connection with Ecuador and Chile is not needed.
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Nice work. But what about the large map?

When working on graphics you should start from the large map first, it's much easier to resize from large -> small.

Postby Rih0 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 pm

"""""""""are these connection lanes between ports and Ecuador and Chile needed? why not only "the ports are connect to each other"? - it could gives more moves. and I think connection with Ecuador and Chile is not needed."""""""

I wanted to make a net around peru, and we are not discussing gameplay anymore.

If i go for the large map first I'll have to remake the map again. :cry:
Private Rih0

Postby theBastard on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Rih0 wrote:I wanted to make a net around peru, and we are not discussing gameplay anymore.

ok. yes there is enough time to speak about GP
Rih0 wrote:If i go for the large map first I'll have to remake the map again. :cry:

why? just enlarge the small one and do edits if something will not fit...

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:11 pm

theBastard wrote:why? just enlarge the small one and do edits if something will not fit...

No no no, you can't do that. You can't enlarge bitmap graphics, it will result in loss of quality and artifacts. This is exactly why you should do the large map first: You can always resize down from large, but you can't resize up from small.

If i go for the large map first I'll have to remake the map again. :cry:

Well, do you have any other options? You'll have to make the large map eventually. It's better to do it now, then work on the large map until everyone is satisfied with it, then shrink it down to small and do the necessary edits and touch-ups. Trust me, it's much easier that way: the alternative would be working on the small map now, then having to do the large map later from scratch and trying to remember exactly how you did everything and repeating it in larger scale...

Don't feel discouraged. Mapmaking is hard work, but it will all pay off in the end.

Postby theBastard on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:11 am

natty_dread wrote:No no no, you can't do that. You can't enlarge bitmap graphics, it will result in loss of quality and artifacts. This is exactly why you should do the large map first: You can always resize down from large, but you can't resize up from small.

good to know, damned :lol:
natty_dread wrote:Don't feel discouraged. Mapmaking is hard work, but it will all pay off in the end.

yes, yes. go for it. maybe sometimes you will be frustrate, take a break and work again. good luck.

Postby Rih0 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:38 am

thanks
Private Rih0

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box