Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Oasis Sahara

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Oasis Sahara, V1.8: page 4

Postby ender516 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:58 pm

This comment may be more graphical than gameplay, but the split colour anchors don't come across well to me. I would suggest a pair of anchors, one of each colour, crossing each other at an angle.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby nilcius on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:07 am

ender516 wrote:..., crossing each other at an angle.

Can you explain what you mean with this?

Update: I will be away the next 10 days, so i'll finish this when I'm back ;)
Sergeant nilcius

Postby ender516 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:40 pm

nilcius wrote:
ender516 wrote:..., crossing each other at an angle.

Can you explain what you mean with this?

Update: I will be away the next 10 days, so i'll finish this when I'm back ;)

Just something like this:
but without the ropes.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby nilcius on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 am

Here is the next update (1.9 ): removed the desert, changed the anchors (although the ones that cross each other aren't perfect yet, but you can already let me know what you think of it)
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant nilcius

Re: Oasis Sahara, V1.9: page 4

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Yeah, those anchor icons will need work, but it looks like the right idea.

I think Sudan should be worth at most 4. 5 troops for 6 territories is excessive.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:11 pm

The openness and vast amount of borders on the map (a 'desert of borders' created by the general size and number of bonus zones) I think will make the majority of the bonus zones difficult hold, while employing the typical 'hold, expand, limit borders' while combining a new bonus with a previous. Only 8 or so regions look like typical 'internal regions' for a bonus zone, in the sense they are not border regions of some kind (land/sea anchor borders). Classic has something like 24 internal regions, Asia - 20, Europa - 17, Middle East - 18, North America - 25. But I don't really know what I'm saying, since I'm no gameplay-monkey.

The Oasis Auto-deploys I think will help the 'desert of borders'.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby The Bison King on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:11 am

I think Sudan should be worth at most 4. 5 troops for 6 territories is excessive.

This I agree with.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby mattattam on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:03 pm

The anchors are much better this way. They still need some work but that can be accomplished in the graphics shop.

Also I suggest organizing the bonus legend better. They are all scattered throughout and they are not made easy to find. An example is to do a down up, down up pattern. Start with Morocco in the top left with Mauretania underneath, followed by Western Coast, Mall, Algeria, etc. In the bottom right of the bonus legend end it with Horn of Africa, Sudan, etc.

I'm liking this map and I think there is enough interest to make a large map too :) when you're up for it.
Major mattattam

Postby ghirrindin on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 pm

Like the map and love the geographical focus. I have a couple suggestions. The southeast appears comparatively weaker than the northern and western portions of the map, partly due to the distribution of the oases. I'm not sure if there was a guiding logic behind the placement of the oases, but you may want to consider adding an additional one on the Horn or in South Sudan or in that vicinity to balance things out. Secondly, I would support changing the name of this map from "Oasis Sahara" to "The Sahara" or simply "Sahara." My reason is the current name may confuse some players into thinking your map is the sequel to the popular Oasis map already in play. It's obviously your call, but I'd like to see this map have its own identity.
Sergeant ghirrindin

Postby MrBenn on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:59 pm

ghirrindin wrote:I would support changing the name of this map from "Oasis Sahara" to "The Sahara" or simply "Sahara." My reason is the current name may confuse some players into thinking your map is the sequel to the popular Oasis map already in play. It's obviously your call, but I'd like to see this map have its own identity.

I was about to suggest the very same thing ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Teflon Kris on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
nilcius wrote:Ports start with 3 also, you agree with that?

It doesn't seem to me that ports have much particular significance except for the fact that they connect to other ports, and those other ports also start neutral, so I'd say 3 might be too high.

Yeah - defo make the posts a +1 neutral to start. In fact, you could do interesting things with the ports such as decay, maybe even killer neutral. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:07 pm

[Moved]

Alas! It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Previous

Return to Recycling Box