Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - San Diego Tycoon

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Continue development of one of these maps?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:22 am

Total votes : 0

[Abandoned] - San Diego Tycoon

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:21 am

Map A

Map B

Map C

San Diego Real Estate! Yes, now you can buy up some of the world’s most expensive real estate in one of the biggest tourist destinations in America.
One of the differences of this map is that units are money more than army pieces. The more money you get the more land you can "out bid" and take over from other developers.

37 areas inside 6 regions. Each region has a bonus tourist attraction. If you have 2 tourist attraction areas, you get +1. Own 3 and you get +2, etc..

Please give opinions and advice. Your input is very much appreciated, especially regarding region bonuses and adding and removing boundaries. What if anything could make this map work?

Thank you.
Last edited by TroyMcClure on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:04 am, edited 22 times in total.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby nagerous on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:27 am

Ocean Beach should probably be only a 3 bonus, im not sure if there is a bonus between fort rosecrans and n.a.s. also with the $s its kinda confusing that that means 2 more soldiers
Captain nagerous

Postby nagerous on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:28 am

also I think with the bonuses it probably should be just 1 extra man if you hold the entire continent, because if someone is lucky and starts with lots of them, the other players are immediately disadvantaged
Captain nagerous

Postby Coleman on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:46 am

Assuming the red is impassible borders
Code: Select all
0-------------0-----------------0-----------------0-----------0-----0---------------0
|Continent    |Continent Borders|Territory Borders|Territories|Bonus|Classic Compare|
0-------------0-----------------0-----------------0-----------0-----0---------------0
|Downtown     |        5        |        4        |     6     |  5  | Europe/Asia   |
|Border       |        2        |        4        |     5     |  4  | North America |
|Ocean Beach  |        2        |        3        |     5     |  3  | Africa        |
|East Country |        2        |        3        |     5     |  3  | Africa        |
|Pacific Beach|        2        |        2        |     4     |  2  | South America |
|North Country|        1        |        2        |     4     |  2  | Australia     |
0-------------0-----------------0-----------------0-----------0-----0---------------O

Tourist attractions should probably be +1 not +2
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:05 am

Coleman wrote:Assuming the red is impassible borders
|Continent    |Continent Borders|Territory Borders|Territories|Bonus|Classic Compare|
|Downtown     |        5        |        4        |     6     |  5  | Europe/Asia   |
|Border       |        2        |        4        |     5     |  4  | North America |
|Ocean Beach  |        2        |        3        |     5     |  3  | Africa        |
|East Country |        2        |        3        |     5     |  3  | Africa        |
|Pacific Beach|        2        |        2        |     4     |  2  | South America |
|North Country|        1        |        2        |     4     |  2  | Australia     |
0-------------0-----------------0-----------------0-----------0-----0---------------O

Very interesting. Is this the way of figuring out bonuses? I can update the map.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby Coleman on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:07 am

TroyMcClure wrote:
Coleman wrote:Assuming the red is impassible borders

Very interesting. Is this the way of figuring out bonuses? I can update the map.

Well it is how I'd do it. I like your map a lot really. Looks good enough to play to me. Wish more people would comment so I could see how the rest of the foundry feels.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:07 am

nagerous wrote:also I think with the bonuses it probably should be just 1 extra man if you hold the entire continent, because if someone is lucky and starts with lots of them, the other players are immediately disadvantaged

Sounds like +1 is better. One question, is there a way to make sure a player doesn't get all the bonuses at the start of the game? Doesn't the CC game make sure no player gets an entire bonus area?
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby Coleman on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:09 am

TroyMcClure wrote:
nagerous wrote:also I think with the bonuses it probably should be just 1 extra man if you hold the entire continent, because if someone is lucky and starts with lots of them, the other players are immediately disadvantaged

Sounds like +1 is better. One question, is there a way to make sure a player doesn't get all the bonuses at the start of the game? Doesn't the CC game make sure no player gets an entire bonus area?

LOL!

Unfortunately no... It is 100% random. Judging by how King of the Mountains ends up working you should expect people to start with 1 or 2 statistically speaking.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:11 am

Coleman wrote:
Well it is how I'd do it. I like your map a lot really. Looks good enough to play to me. Wish more people would comment so I could see how the rest of the foundry feels.

Thanks Coleman. Even if you don't like a font, let me know. I like playing with my Fireworks. I need to smooth out some border lines.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:15 am

nagerous wrote:... the $s its kinda confusing that that means 2 more soldiers

I'd like to keep the money, it's part of the theme. What about something like ...
Ocean Beach = 3$
North County = 2$
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby nagerous on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:15 am

have something that says red line = impassable border to make it clear
Captain nagerous

Postby mibi on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:17 am

love those 80's colors.

but why are their jets in north country, is there an air base up there?
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:19 am

Read the territory names Mibi. :P
Sergeant Coleman

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:20 am

mibi wrote:love those 80's colors.

but why are their jets in north country, is there an air base up there?

Yes, San Diego is a big navy town. has a big navy base and marine airbase. See the movie Top Gun.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:24 am

nagerous wrote:have something that says red line = impassable border to make it clear

OK.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby johloh on Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:33 pm

the first thing you have to change is the title...san diego, "america's finest city"? is that supposed to be a joke?
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby pancakemix on Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:42 pm

Instead of having the tourist attractions +1, as previously mentioned, you should make them hold 2, get 1, hold 3, get 2, etc., because if you start with 2 or 3, you have a major advantage.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby TroyMcClure on Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:50 am

pancakemix wrote:Instead of having the tourist attractions +1, as previously mentioned, you should make them hold 2, get 1, hold 3, get 2, etc., because if you start with 2 or 3, you have a major advantage.

You only get the extra unit in the territory. So, the extra unit is placed on the tourist attraction. It's like a card bonus for holding a territory. This way you have to take another turn to move the new unit.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby TroyMcClure on Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:52 am

johloh wrote:the first thing you have to change is the title...san diego, "america's finest city"? is that supposed to be a joke?

No joke. It's the city moto.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby mibi on Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:54 am

TroyMcClure wrote:
pancakemix wrote:Instead of having the tourist attractions +1, as previously mentioned, you should make them hold 2, get 1, hold 3, get 2, etc., because if you start with 2 or 3, you have a major advantage.

You only get the extra unit in the territory. So, the extra unit is placed on the tourist attraction. It's like a card bonus for holding a territory. This way you have to take another turn to move the new unit.

I dont think this is possible with XML, I could be wrong tho.
Captain mibi

Postby TroyMcClure on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:06 pm

mibi wrote:
TroyMcClure wrote:

I dont think this is possible with XML, I could be wrong tho.

Who can I ask about this?
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby fireedud on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:07 pm

Andy.[size=0]AndLack[/size]
Cook fireedud

Postby TroyMcClure on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:28 pm

fireedud wrote:Andy.[size=0]AndLack[/size]

I didn't see this username. can you give me more info
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby pancakemix on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:37 pm

KEYOGI could also help with this.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby DiM on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:49 pm

TroyMcClure wrote:
fireedud wrote:Andy.[size=0]AndLack[/size]

I didn't see this username. can you give me more info

the username is AndyDufresne.

but it's not possible. i'm 100% sure.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Next

Return to Recycling Box