Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - San Diego Tycoon

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Continue development of one of these maps?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:22 am

Total votes : 0

Postby oaktown on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:36 pm

TroyMcClure wrote:Te freeways are the barriers in this virtual map. So think of the places where it's impossible to get across (infamous California freeways) and the places where there is no freeway is an underpass or a way across for your real estate project to expand.

Yeah, i get the concept of unpassable borders and why the gaps are there... I'm saying that if the gaps represent underpasses, why not actually draw an underpass? The gaps make it look like the freeways stop in the middle of town.
Captain oaktown

Postby TroyMcClure on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:19 am

oaktown wrote:
TroyMcClure wrote:Te freeways are the barriers in this virtual map. So think of the places where it's impossible to get across (infamous California freeways) and the places where there is no freeway is an underpass or a way across for your real estate project to expand.

Yeah, i get the concept of unpassable borders and why the gaps are there... I'm saying that if the gaps represent underpasses, why not actually draw an underpass? The gaps make it look like the freeways stop in the middle of town.

Oh yeah, I see. I can do that. But the freeways are like map roads, so it might look ...different... I'll try it out.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby Elijah S on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:50 am

TroyMcClure wrote:
Elijah S wrote:Troy-
I like this map and would definitely play it...
My suggestions right now are:
The east county areas be changed to something other than blue... The blue seems to give it an ocean look.
The areas you have labelled as North County aren't really what native San Diegans consider North County... that's further north and includes Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos, Escondido, etc...

Just food for thought there...

Glad to see you're proceeding with this!

I'll change the blue to try something else.

For playability I called the top continent North County. What else can I call it? "North Side", "North San Diego",...

It's probably fine calling it North County. The only people who would know are those who live here. But you could call it Mira Mesa, Miramar or maybe just Inland?
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Postby TroyMcClure on Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:49 am

oaktown wrote:

OK here's with overpasses or "pass thru"s as it says on the legend.

+I thinned the road and added heavy shadow to try and make it clear what it is.

+changed east county color

+Also I renamed north county to Miramar (there's already a country called Mir Mesa, Inland sounds generic)

I'm assuming the first choice map is what I'd move forward with in development, but I don't know if the elite think there is enough support for the map.

Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby Elijah S on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:08 pm

Troy-
I was thinking about this map last night and thought that perhaps the title seems somewhat restrictive.

Maybe if it was called "San Diego Tycoon" or something similar, it might have more of a competitive appeal ?
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Postby Coleman on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:13 pm

I'm sorry but these circles don't do anything, the idea of army circles is altering the area in the circle so the numbers display better.

Try something like this:
RjBeals wrote:While in Photoshop, click and hold on the selection tool and it will expand to show other shapes. Select the Circle shape.

Then choose a fixed size of 22 x 22 pixels.

Then create a new layer for your circles. Or you can create 1 layer per circle and keep them within a folder. Up to you. While on that layer, click & fill your circle with solid white.

Then adjust the blending options or Opacity on the layer (or folder) until you are satisfied. I also used the blending options to add a 1px outer stroke around each circle.

Good Luck!

Link to Photoshop Layered File
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:55 am

Elijah S wrote:Troy-
I was thinking about this map last night and thought that perhaps the title seems somewhat restrictive.

Maybe if it was called "San Diego Tycoon" or something similar, it might have more of a competitive appeal ?

Yeah, that sounds cool.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby moomaster2000 on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:45 am

I support this fully!

I live a lil north of Torrey Pines.
Corporal moomaster2000

Previous

Return to Recycling Box