Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Castle Battle

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Castle Battle (aka Siege 2.0) - New attack route and cavalry

Postby zimmah on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 pm

snapdoodle wrote:I agree with Seamusk. It needs to be large enough for the details to come through. A3 and D3 for my vote.

A3 and d# still look a bit big compared to the wall and the archers, but still i think they are the best option.

what to do with the flags tho?
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby White Moose on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:35 pm

Very nice map.

Though i have a big problem at reading the text below "Bombardment Routes", accually, really bad. I can't be the only one..
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby Telvannia on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:46 pm

White Moose wrote:Very nice map.

Though i have a big problem at reading the text below "Bombardment Routes", accually, really bad. I can't be the only one..

The legend will be changed to fit the rest of the map, when the rest of the map has been updates slightly, because the changes might/will change what the legend has to say.

zimmah wrote:
snapdoodle wrote:I agree with Seamusk. It needs to be large enough for the details to come through. A3 and D3 for my vote.

A3 and d# still look a bit big compared to the wall and the archers, but still i think they are the best option.

The flags are to increase the territory count, and to add a bit more gameplay. You have got to image this slightly like a turn based stratergy, where the flag shows where you are allowed to move your army too.

I will go and scale all the men and siege weapons to fit the new scale. Probably not till tomorrow though.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby zimmah on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Telvannia wrote:
White Moose wrote:Very nice map.

The legend will be changed to fit the rest of the map, when the rest of the map has been updates slightly, because the changes might/will change what the legend has to say.

zimmah wrote:

The flags are to increase the territory count, and to add a bit more gameplay. You have got to image this slightly like a turn based stratergy, where the flag shows where you are allowed to move your army too.

I will go and scale all the men and siege weapons to fit the new scale. Probably not till tomorrow though.

i think you mis-interpreted my question, i ment to ask: what will you do with the scale of the flags once you scaled down the units holding them? since they need to be big enough to put the armies on instead of army circles?
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Telvannia on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:27 pm

zimmah wrote:
Telvannia wrote:
zimmah wrote:

i think you mis-interpreted my question, i ment to ask: what will you do with the scale of the flags once you scaled down the units holding them? since they need to be big enough to put the armies on instead of army circles?

Ah, yes i see what you mean now, umm, that is a good question, i could not scale them down but then they might look stupidly out of proportion, but that might be the only option...

Postby bryguy on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Telvannia wrote:
zimmah wrote:
Telvannia wrote:
zimmah wrote:

Ah, yes i see what you mean now, umm, that is a good question, i could not scale them down but then they might look stupidly out of proportion, but that might be the only option...

why not put more men along the top of the wall and have nobody holding the flags inside the castle?
Corporal bryguy

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:09 pm

This post is just to say that Im back. Tomorrow I will read all the comments about playabilty to discuss, and of course place my opinion about the graphics... But Telvannia is really great at graphs, so I dont know I will have many complaints, lol :mrgreen:
Major Marvaddin

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:33 pm

Hey, people. For now I read almost all the posts, so I will place some opinions.

First, about graphics:
I liked the A3 and D3 size the most, too. The variations added to attackers are great, and the horses are very good too.

Some other things:
- I think the defenders deserve a more beautiful standard too, something that can inspire them more in the battle. Thats not difficult, I assume. ;)
- Using the new smaller size, Im sure we will soon have legions inside the castle, too! Yay! :D
- The attack lines: I dislike the actual ones much more than the old dotted lines. In fact, those we have now are not that visible near the standard and the wooden bridges over the moat.
- About routes between towers and barrels: in fact, barrels arent supposed to conquer any territories, so, they should have no connections to defenders rally points, and to towers, there should be one way from towers to them. In fact, we could replace those routes writing something in the legend, like "towers can attack adjacent oil barrels and towers"... ideas?
- About the little plataform over the gate: thats beautiful, but isnt it making trouble about maiking visible gate connecting to defenders rally points? Anyway I loved the archers, so maybe we could put some in the towers, maybe without roof?

Some questions about playability:
Juan_Bottom wrote:I seems to me,... that if someone gets stuck outside of the castle walls, it will be impossible to get back inside. Or am I being dumb? Other than that, I don't have a single thing to say about the map. I even like the attack lines.

The good news are, I think that invade the castle wont be that difficult, due to the catapults and ram bonuses (unless, of course people inside the castle is getting an even better bonus from buildings). The bad news are... I think that leave the castle is harder, because the gate is the single way to leave. As an option this is what Im thinking about:
A hidden passage accessible from the castle and with an exit "behind" the attackers. This exit is hidden, so attackers cant reach it and use it to invade. This would be implemented as one way borders, of course. Ideas?

max is gr8 wrote:Add farms or something, the people still need to eat and the way things are going the defenders have the advantage, sort it out by giving the people on the outside houses or camps, and a trade blockade, or something like that.

This is something I wouldnt like to do. The map is not focused on the months of the siege, while attackers wait the defenders to die without food and water, lol. It focuses the battle moment, with people burning in the oil, etc. I dont think this idea works at this map, but its a good one and I think there are other maps using it.

About making it more alike to a real castle, I can say this:
- we can think about a village near the castle, possibly to east, like a secondary target... Maybe we could even use the normal continent idea in this area, but its probably very difficult to implement graphically, once the map has already little space to be used.

- one idea much more possible is make it really a castle, and maybe even with more buildings near it. In this case, I would remove the inner wall (its not that important, anyway), and would replace it with the castle itself. We can even put the batlle inside the castle by 3 ways, I think:
> making each adjacent tower a territory, and maybe giving a progressive bonus for each number of them;
> using a skeletal castle, like in the old PC game called "Dominus". This picture ilustrates the idea:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/M ... castle.jpg
> using a small separated map to the castle inside, like the pow camps in bamboo map.

Opinions, please...
Im having a busy time in the college, so I wont be able to wrok on it this week. For now, lets try to acumulate ideas and discuss them.

Tel, if there is something that you think its impossible or very hard, please tell us.
Its all for now. Thanks to all that placed good comments. :mrgreen:
Major Marvaddin

Postby max is gr8 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:44 am

Most castles had escape holes, so maybe have a one way attack from the mountain to the base of the mountain, AND if there isn't one there should be!!!
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Androidz on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:40 pm

Hmm during a Siege. Their basicly trying to arrive at Main Castle. The Throne Room, Upper Tower. And as i see this map dont got it. which is the most important thing during a seige. you should add it.
Private Androidz

Postby dittoeevee8888 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:58 pm

Firstly, great map. Graphics really do look good.

Points to discuss
  • New bird standard, does it look good and does it work well at replacing army circles?
    I don't think that it should replace army circles. The attacking army flag has a laurel on it, and with the bird, it isn't that visible. Unless if you remove the laurel, the bird would look good then.
  • Any major concern about the attackers graphics, if not i will move more on to working on the defenders.
    I don't see any.
  • Do the defenders standards work for army circles?
    I think it would.
  • Anything you think needs to go in the castle graphically while im working on it?
    I don't really think so...
  • Who likes my dead defending archer? :lol:
    Not me, although it goes well with the theme of the map, it looks weird (to me) that the blood that the dead archer is leaking out...

Also, the part under Seige Conver (or Tower, can't read the font that well) that says "AD - AutoDeployment" looks like the Seige Conver or Tower is also AD, unless if it really is, but as far as my understanding goes, it isn't.

I like the brown attack routes a lot better than the white attack routes though.
Sergeant 1st Class dittoeevee8888

Postby The Weird One on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Just to throw in my two cents: the attack routes look confusing as Hell. If you could maybe make them less prominent, it would most likely aid this map's understandability greatly. Other than that, it looks great.
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby seamusk on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 am

Can you do me a favor and put the page # of the new map in the subject or something. I had to hunt down the map.

I would lessen the opacity on the attack lines.
Lieutenant seamusk

Postby danfrank on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:24 pm

I too do not think scale is that big of issue. I like the size of the men That you originally had them. Things would tend to get smaller as you look deeper into the map so a man standing in between two castle walls could appear to be the same size as the distant wall.. i think this map is awesome and would definitly become Cc`s number 1 map once quenched..
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby George3356 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:55 pm

I think its alright but i am not a fan of maps with aa ton of places to take over which i feel this map does. But i no others will like it.
Cook George3356

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:05 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Juan_Bottom wrote:
I seems to me,... that if someone gets stuck outside of the castle walls, it will be impossible to get back inside. Or am I being dumb? Other than that, I don't have a single thing to say about the map. I even like the attack lines.

The good news are, I think that invade the castle wont be that difficult, due to the catapults and ram bonuses (unless, of course people inside the castle is getting an even better bonus from buildings). The bad news are... I think that leave the castle is harder, because the gate is the single way to leave. As an option this is what Im thinking about:
A hidden passage accessible from the castle and with an exit "behind" the attackers. This exit is hidden, so attackers cant reach it and use it to invade. This would be implemented as one way borders, of course. Ideas?

Yeah, this is what I ment.

I don't know what this means for your map, but I have AOL dail-up and your map killed it. I can't view the new map at all, and the old one took 7 minutes for the image to load.

Is there any way to incorporate attack lines from the towers?

The new attack paths seemed ok(from what I saw before AOL died) but they do need a little something. Maybe making them more realistic and rough would help them to blend?

I don't really have much to say, cause I can't view it :( .
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby ccm87 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:09 pm

hey, i really like the map!
=D>
Cook ccm87

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:47 pm

Sorry guys this doesnt seem to be doing anything. Im going to unsticky it for the time being.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby bryguy on Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:33 pm

awww!! i really liked this!
Corporal bryguy

Postby Telvannia on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:15 am

It is still being worked on, but behind the scenes. There has been slow communication between me and marv causing slow down to the development.

Hopefully i should have a big update up soon :D

Postby Ethitts on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Why does this not have an idea stamp yet?
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Telvannia on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:40 am

Ethitts wrote:Why does this not have an idea stamp yet?

Lack of updates i think. Also there is not currently a version up which is workable, i need to add in the attack routes ect...

Postby Telvannia on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Right, time for a nice, big, juicy update.

Click image to enlarge.

Changes in this Update

1.Redone the entire defending area,

2.New attack routes.

3.Rearraged practically everything.

To Do List

1.Finish attack routes off

2.Add legend

3.Add names

4.Split the main keep into 3-4 territories.

5.Minor touch-ups.

Points to Discuss

1.New layout better or worse?

2.New attack routes, thoughts?

3.Anything else?

Postby Androidz on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:07 pm

love it, seem to be you have removed some terretories?? But verry nice=) cant wait to see a legend and army numbers=D

aslo the 2 areas on the bottom with just 1 man should probbably be alot of armies as the others, also some armies on some other places on the map good work=)

And add some windows at the castle it looks so emety. Or some paintings/who made the map just something.

The attacklines on briges on wall need to be more ligher i dont see them at all almost.
Last edited by Androidz on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private Androidz

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:14 pm

looks much improved. especially in terms of the cleanliness of the graphics
Lieutenant whitestazn88

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box