Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Baltic States

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Baltic States [Updated on Jul. 27 pg. 1 and 4]

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Wow, this map just keeps getting better!

I don't much care for the airplanes/airports idea, though. They really don't add anything to the map. I agree with adding the region names to the minimap. I take it you're not doing a World 2.1 type thing with subcontinents anymore? Or, if you are, is that what the "Control ____" at the bottom right is, and you've just left the bonuses out for now? If so, may I suggest separating the three countries with a thicker line on the minimap and real map? Right now you have thicker lines between sub-continents - do so between the continents, too, and make them thicker than the lines between the sub-continents. Does this make sense?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby l3eater on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:12 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Wow, this map just keeps getting better!

I don't much care for the airplanes/airports idea, though. They really don't add anything to the map. I agree with adding the region names to the minimap. I take it you're not doing a World 2.1 type thing with subcontinents anymore? Or, if you are, is that what the "Control ____" at the bottom right is, and you've just left the bonuses out for now? If so, may I suggest separating the three countries with a thicker line on the minimap and real map? Right now you have thicker lines between sub-continents - do so between the continents, too, and make them thicker than the lines between the sub-continents. Does this make sense?

Ok, so the lines that separate the countries should be thicker than the ones that separate the sub-contintents, right?

As for the Plane idea, i want this map to be as correct as possible, that all :D

Edit: And yes, im going for a 2.1 kind
Private l3eater

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:14 pm

l3eater wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Wow, this map just keeps getting better!

Ok, so the lines that separate the countries should be thicker than the ones that separate the sub-contintents, right?

As for the Plane idea, i want this map to be as correct as possible, that all :D

Edit: And yes, im going for a 2.1 kind

Yes, make the lines between the three countries thicker than the ones between each sub-continent, on both the real map and the minimap.

How does adding planes make it more correct?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:07 am

While tha map is still quite pretty, I don't 'get' the airport idea either.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:28 am

How do you attack the planes?

Where will their armies go?

What can the planes attack?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:16 am

Im more than happy with hte progress of this one. Its still got a long way to gp graphically but youve proven your willingness to work with the system.

What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:27 am

p.s. can you removed the [brackets] please? Reserved for official use and [abandon/vacation] only ;)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby oaktown on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:53 am

welcome to the Main Foundry, I3eater! Nice to have some new blood around here. :)

I like the simple style - bold colors, playful mountains. Think about how you can make all of the elements on the map fit this style, though - the transparent coats of arms don't right now.

Region bonuses look more or less good right now, so now think about where players will best want to start. It looks as if most games will start with a lot of fighting around the north-west and north-east quarters of the map, but I actually like the balance of good bonuses for somebody who goes after a southern start. I do wish that more of the impassables protected regions rather than splitting them up, but it will work like this.

I'll reserve my judgement on the airplanes until I see attack routes and army count placement, but my first thought is that you may want to consider having either the capitals or the aircraft bonus, but not both. Play with it and see what you come up with.

Colors will need some work to make them better distinguishable for us color-blind users, and indeed something will need to be done to set the regions apart as well - thicker borders, an inner glow, different textures, etc.

Keep up the good work!

The triangles don't stand out, and they don't really say "capital" to me. And check the spelling of "capital."
Captain oaktown

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 am

"Idea passed?" Already??? WAY TO GO BUDDY!!!

RjBeals wrote:So I don't have to say the red and the orange regions looks like the bonus values should be swapped

That looks red to you? They all look like salmon to me.....

Anyway, I think that the 3 and the 2 bonuses should be swapped, due to the number of territory borders. The 2 looks slightly harder to hold than the 3 does, so I'd swap them.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby l3eater on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:49 am

Im more than happy with hte progress of this one. Its still got a long way to gp graphically but youve proven your willingness to work with the system

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! I was wondering when i'll get this but i never thought i'd get it this soon!

yeti_c wrote:How do you attack the planes?

Where will their armies go?

What can the planes attack?

C.

1) Attack lines will be made
2) Ether on top of them or beside
3) the planes can bombard the capitals and airport, attack other planes and the areas where the attack lines will go

welcome to the Main Foundry, I3eater! Nice to have some new blood around here. :)

Thanks for the welcome oaktown!

I do wish that more of the impassables protected regions rather than splitting them up, but it will work like this.

The is, however i must of deleted the mountains that were supposed to go at the most southern region, also, a lake will be included in the next update
Private l3eater

Re: Baltic States (Updated on Jul. 27 pg. 1 and 4) (I)

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:16 pm

My vote still goes to nixing the airplanes. They don't add anything to the map but clutter, IMO. Classic gameplay with some a capitals bonus will work well.

For the capital symbol, maybe use a star instead of a triangle? Capitals are usually marked by stars on maps, so most people will get it more intuitively that way.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby l3eater on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:18 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:My vote still goes to nixing the airplanes. They don't add anything to the map but clutter, IMO. Classic gameplay with some a capitals bonus will work well.

For the capital symbol, maybe use a star instead of a triangle? Capitals are usually marked by stars on maps, so most people will get it more intuitively that way.

If people do really dislike the plane idea, then i'll trash it, as for the capital symbol, i just got so happy that i could make a triangle on GIMP, but never fear for it'll change on the next update.
Private l3eater

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:54 pm

I'm not a big fan of the airplanes either.
They clutter up the graphics a bit, and right now it doesn't look like it would provide much for gameplay.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby l3eater on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:39 pm

With a strong agreement that the planes should be taken off the map, i'll try even harder to convince to the people that it's a good idea. :D

And as you all know, they hasn't been much updates, that because im currently on a mini-vacation, since my cousin came and that her dog died of stomach cancer i think, i will resume major updates after August 24.
Private l3eater

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 pm

Its quite a few days after August 24th.
Any "major updates" currently being worked on?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby oaktown on Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:13 pm

alright 13eater, it's been six weeks - you've got a few days before this one gets Vacation tagged.
Captain oaktown

Postby oaktown on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:56 pm

This thread has been moved to the Scrap Heap... if the original mapmaker PMs a Foundry CA to say that he's starting it back up we will, of course, bring this project back to the Foundry.
Captain oaktown

Previous

Return to Recycling Box