Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Research & Conquer

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Research & Conquer [20 July 2013] V31a pg 96

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm

OliverFA wrote:Thanks for the update Isaiah. Let me know when it's time to do the XML

Have you gotten a start on the coordinatoes and territories yet? If not, it may be worth while getting started on those, especially if Isaiah has decided to keep the gameplay as is.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby iancanton on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:09 am

a basic research only assaults its advanced one and it's own laboratory ought to be a basic research assaults only its advanced one and its own laboratory.

can u please update the first post to show the number of start positions per player in small games? do both mine and non-mine homeland regions start with n2 neutrals, with non-homeland mines being n3 and bridge mines being n4? how about non-mine non-homeland regions, or do these vary according to a neutral map prepared previously?

my own feeling is that the payback time for the researches is on the long side (so that the best strategy in most clan wars will probably be to load one player to target an enemy capital while deploying minimal troops for research) but, given the meticulous work that has already been done to balance the researches against each other, i'm most interested to see in beta how well the land neutrals compensate for this before we attempt to make adjustments.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:51 am

iancanton wrote:a basic research only assaults its advanced one and it's own laboratory ought to be a basic research assaults only its advanced one and its own laboratory.

can u please update the first post to show the number of start positions per player in small games? do both mine and non-mine homeland regions start with n2 neutrals, with non-homeland mines being n3 and bridge mines being n4? how about non-mine non-homeland regions, or do these vary according to a neutral map prepared previously?

my own feeling is that the payback time for the researches is on the long side (so that the best strategy in most clan wars will probably be to load one player to target an enemy capital while deploying minimal troops for research) but, given the meticulous work that has already been done to balance the researches against each other, i'm most interested to see in beta how well the land neutrals compensate for this before we attempt to make adjustments.

The only start positions will be the labs and homeland capitals, both which will start with 3. I'll get the change in the wording next update.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:37 am

iancanton wrote:a basic research only assaults its advanced one and it's own laboratory ought to be a basic research assaults only its advanced one and its own laboratory.

Thanks for the feedback Ian, it's always nice to see new contributors :)

There will definitely be a lot of tweaking required to get the land neutral/research neutral balance done right. One other potential solution for the quick elimination problem that I've thought of is switching the losing ondition to holding at least one land territory and possibly making research bonuses dependent on owning your capital. That way if you lose your capital it still hurts a lot, but at least you still have a chance if you have stacks out on the board. It'll be hard to tell whether this will be necessary until it gets to beta though... there's so many things which may end up changing, but it's just impossible to tell until the map has hit beta.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:26 am

OP updated with all bonuses, starting neutrals etc. Let me know if everything looks good and if I missed anything!! Will get an map update here by the end of the weekend!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Large:
Click image to enlarge.

Small:
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Research & Conquer [17 Aug 2013] V32 pg 98

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:06 am

Hi Isaiah,

Thanks for the updates, here's some thoughts/comments:

* The small map doesn't have the glow around the neutral territories, I'm guessing that still needs to be added?

* I think the only change you made to the map above is the addition of "no standard reinforcement bonus"?

* The colour for N (and possibly E) territories could use some tweaking so they stand out better from the neutral territories with the glow.

* The OP's section re: bonuses has a line that says "+1 per mine" but doesn't have "Mining" in front of it. Also, according to the current map the bonus is +2, which is what I think we're sticking with? If so, then the OP needs to be updated for +2 per mine

It's really nice to see this map getting so close to getting it's graphics stamp. Thanks for all of your hard work with keeping this going :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby iancanton on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:20 pm

what happens in a triples game if u lose ur capital, then deliberately miss three turns to be eliminated, so that a teammate receives ur lab and researches? any particular advantage in owning two labs and two researches? do u then have two homelands for national pride?

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:40 pm

iancanton wrote:what happens in a triples game if u lose ur capital, then deliberately miss three turns to be eliminated, so that a teammate receives ur lab and researches? any particular advantage in owning two labs and two researches? do u then have two homelands for national pride?

Well, if you lose your capital, you are eliminated. That is the losing condition. As for your last point, let me mull it over. I'll post later.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:50 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:Hi Isaiah,

Thanks for the updates, here's some thoughts/comments:

1. The small map doesn't have the glow around the neutral territories, I'm guessing that still needs to be added?

2. I think the only change you made to the map above is the addition of "no standard reinforcement bonus"?

3. The colour for N (and possibly E) territories could use some tweaking so they stand out better from the neutral territories with the glow.

4. The OP's section re: bonuses has a line that says "+1 per mine" but doesn't have "Mining" in front of it. Also, according to the current map the bonus is +2, which is what I think we're sticking with? If so, then the OP needs to be updated for +2 per mine

It's really nice to see this map getting so close to getting it's graphics stamp. Thanks for all of your hard work with keeping this going :)

Thanks Tanarri!

1. Yea I totally forgot about that. :oops:
2. Pretty much except for a little rearranging I did with the legend.
3. They may, but looking at the CB tests these are the best ones thus far. I have to change N & E, and W & SE as they are too close together.
3. I'll get the OP changed to reflect what is on the map which is the +2 per mine.

I'm glad as well. It's been an uphill battle to get this back on track, but it is well worth the effort. Thank you to all who have pitched in again!

Here are the updates!!!
Items done:
1. Glow added around neutral regions on small;
2. Changed all the outer glow on all the homelands, so now they are distinguishable on the CB tests.
3. And I think that was it. LOL!

Large:
Click image to enlarge.

Small:
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Research & Conquer [24 Aug 2013] V33 pg 98

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:54 am

isaiah40...the small legend test...it's still not easily legible for me.
I think the issue is that is more squashed up to the left by comparison with the large version.
Is it possible to extend it so it takes up more of the real estate.
Also, does it need a slight drop shadow or backlight so that is reads better. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:25 am

cairnswk wrote:isaiah40...the small legend test...it's still not easily legible for me.
I think the issue is that is more squashed up to the left by comparison with the large version.
Also, does it need a slight drop shadow or backlight so that is reads better. :)

I'll experiment with some different colors to try and bring it out more. As for drop shadow, this text is supposed to be etched into the plate so that won't work. As for backlight, what do you mean?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:58 pm

I like the new colours you came up with. The only suggestion I can make at this point is to change either W or N to something different from each other that will still be different enough from the neutral territories... looking at the colours, some sort of pink/light purple glow may work. As it is now, I can barely tell the difference between the two colours of homelands.

I do also see what Cairn is saying regarding the small legend as well, it is a bit difficult to read in some of the areas due to the texture colour of the plate, I think.

Other than those two things, I think this is ready graphically. Is it worth getting Oliver to start on the XML at this point? I don't think there's going to be any reason to change anything that will affect the XML?
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:28 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:isaiah40...the small legend test...it's still not easily legible for me.

I'll experiment with some different colors to try and bring it out more. As for drop shadow, this text is supposed to be etched into the plate so that won't work. As for backlight, what do you mean?

Sorry i wasn't aware it was etched plate.
backlighting is just my term for outer glow
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:37 am

iancanton wrote:what happens in a triples game if u lose ur capital, then deliberately miss three turns to be eliminated, so that a teammate receives ur lab and researches? any particular advantage in owning two labs and two researches? do u then have two homelands for national pride?

This problem keeps coming back to haunt us... and just when we thought deciding on one starting spot per player solved it :P

Looks like we're going to need to cram another line worth of text into the legend somewhere stating something like "duplicate researches do not provide additional bonuses" or "research bonuses do not stack".
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:27 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:

This problem keeps coming back to haunt us... and just when we thought deciding on one starting spot per player solved it :P

Looks like we're going to need to cram another line worth of text into the legend somewhere stating something like "duplicate researches do not provide additional bonuses" or "research bonuses do not stack".

It doesn't matter because if you lose your capital you are eliminated from the game, so your teammates wouldn't receive what labs and researches you had.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:46 am

isaiah40 wrote:
-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:

It doesn't matter because if you lose your capital you are eliminated from the game, so your teammates wouldn't receive what labs and researches you had.

The exact scenario that ian proposed won't happen, but if in a team game one of the teammates does deadbeat, then another teammate inherits all his territories. This means it's still possible for someone to own more than one set of researches.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby OliverFA on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:44 pm

isaiah40 wrote:

Well, if you lose your capital, you are eliminated. That is the losing condition. As for your last point, let me mull it over. I'll post later.

I'd like to add my two cents about this issue:

First, the chances of a capital appearing in a nuclear spoils game is very low.

Second, the cons of allowing a player to continue playing with a lab and without a capital far outweighs the pros of "fixing" the nuclear spoils issue. So the "solution" would create more problems than it fixed.

However... If this really must be fixed, then I vote for allowing a player to continue playing as long as he has any territory from a homeland.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:05 pm

I say let's see how it plays in beta, and then if it needs to be changed, then we can do it at that time.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby OliverFA on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:17 pm

isaiah40 wrote:I say let's see how it plays in beta, and then if it needs to be changed, then we can do it at that time.

I agree. The best course of action for the map at this moment is to move it to beta so some actual play feedback can be collected.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby Aleena on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:12 pm

Though I know my opinion does not count - I second that motion - think Beta testing would really help give us the feel of the game play and what needs to be done...
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:59 am

isaiah40 wrote:I say let's see how it plays in beta, and then if it needs to be changed, then we can do it at that time.

Are we at the point then that Oliver should get started on the XML? I think the only possible graphical tweak that's remaining at this point is finding another colour for either N or W homeland territories which is different from the other? That shouldn't affect the XML development at all, AFAIK.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby OliverFA on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:13 am

Good question Tanarri ;-)

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:31 am

I don't understand why Standing Army, Conscription, and Mining have coloured titles, while National Pride, Sabotage, and Propaganda are plain black.

I haven't really followed this map, but my first impression in looking at it is that someone started colouring the titles and got bored halfway through.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Sergeant 1st Class Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:35 am

Dukasaur wrote:I don't understand why Standing Army, Conscription, and Mining have coloured titles, while National Pride, Sabotage, and Propaganda are plain black.

I haven't really followed this map, but my first impression in looking at it is that someone started colouring the titles and got bored halfway through.

Hi Dukasaur and welcome to the thread.

The colours are there as a visual aid for matching the basic researches with the advanced researches. A while back (probably a couple years by now) there was some concern that the naming convention alone wasn't enough to make it obvious which basic techs matched up with which advanced ones, so after some discussion we decided to colour the techs which had matching basic/advanced versions to make it visually easier to identify matching techs.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box