Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - The Hamptons

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Long Island v13 [D] pgs 1 & 19 (NEW LOOK)

Postby captainwalrus on Tue May 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Dr.Winnerman wrote:Take failboat out, not everyone gets it, Replace it with a good boat name

I think the failboat is a fine name.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Tue May 19, 2009 7:41 pm

captainwalrus wrote:
Dr.Winnerman wrote:Take failboat out, not everyone gets it, Replace it with a good boat name

I think the failboat is a fine name.

ok.
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed May 20, 2009 8:10 pm

Im against boats as an idea in general...I think roads would be much better.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed May 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Im against boats as an idea in general...I think roads would be much better.

The thing about the boats that i like better that a road is that it helps to get rid of the linear feel of the map. If there was just a road, the map would still only be at most two territories wide, which i don't think would make well for an intrestin, or fair match. I think that I am going to stick with the boats, unless the vast majority of the public wants them gone. :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby lanyards on Sat May 23, 2009 9:53 am

Suggestions:

1) The title and continent bonus legend are right on the left side border. It looks like there is a few pixels of space between the top of the title and the top border of the map. I think it would look better if the title and legend were equally spaced into the cornor, and to keep the legend within the dead grey space jus move the title and legend over maybe 2 pixels and up 2 or however much needed to make it equal and look good.

2) I think you should give the dead grey space a 1 pixel black border like the rest of the map's borders are. Or atleast see how it looks, I thought it might look better.

3) I don't like the bridge between Long Beach and Jonis Beach, try again. :)

4) Bottom right of the map, switch the signatures so sailorseal is on top.

5) I'm pretty sure I can see faint lines in the water, 1 connecting the Failboat and Young Fool boats, and another one going north off the left side of the Juno boat. Maybe they are just part of the water texture, but those are the only ones I see.

I like the style of the map by the way. Congrats.

--lanyards
Last edited by lanyards on Sun May 24, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sat May 23, 2009 6:49 pm

lanyards wrote:Suggestions:

1) The title and continent bonus legend are right on the left side border. It looks like there is a few pixels of space between the top of the title and the top border of the map. I think it would look better if the title and legend were equally spaced into the cornor, and to keep the legend within the dead grey space jus move the title and legend over maybe 2 pixels and up 2 or however much needed to make it equal and look good.

I will try moving everything. If i don't have enough room. i will make some smaller to fit.
lanyards wrote:2) I think you should give the dead grey space a 1 pixel black border like the rest of the map's borders are. Or atleast see how it looks, I thought it might look better.

I will, i forgot to put it back on for this update, but i will fix
lanyards wrote:3) I don't like the bridge between Long Beach and Jonis Beach, try again. :)

Ya, me either. I will try fixing it.
lanyards wrote:4) Bottom right of the map, switch the signatures so sailorseal is on top.

Good idea. i think that i will also change the color.
lanyards wrote:5) I'm pretty sure I can see faint lines in the water, 1 connecting the Failboat and Young Fool boats, and another one going north off the left side of the Juno boat. Maybe they are just part of the water texture, but those are the only ones I see.

I like the style of the map by the way. COngrats.

--lanyards

That is part of the texture. I will see what i can do to fix them.
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby apb23 on Sat May 23, 2009 6:59 pm

NICE!!!!!!!!
Corporal 1st Class apb23

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat May 23, 2009 7:25 pm

I'd consider changing the blue boats to another color...why not a nice magenta or light purple? Something that stands out a little more than the blue on blue. Even a lighter/paler red for the other boats might be nice as well---considering the light/pale colors you have elsewhere on the map. Keep up with that theme I think.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby oaktown on Sat May 23, 2009 7:41 pm

hmm... haven't checked in since you went from lighthouses to boats, and while boats is an improvement I'm still not convinced that it works. To me, a Long Island map is a stretch to begin with. It seems like we're running out of ideas when we have to target such specific regions of the globe as Long Island (as well as others we've seen in the foundry lately). But if somebody is intent on making such a map, I think some work should go into the project to make it represent the region in an accurate and interesting way. This map isn't doing that right now.

For starters, the action on this map isn't going to take place on the land, it's going to take place on the boats. Why go after the six territories of Nassau, or the Hamptons, when you can get the same bonus by taking four boats and holding them with fewer borders? And nobody is ever going to bother with Central Suffolk until late in the game, which removes about 50% of the land mass from early play. So the land regions - which is what this map is named after - are weaker than the part of the map that is completely made up, reducing this map to fiction. May as well call this map "Battle of the Yacht Owners." ;) Yet without the boats, you've got a big bottleneck of a map. This is a region that really presents a gameplay challenge.

Let's say the gameplay gets worked out and the boats begin to make sense. What about this map says Long Island, the lighthouse? If I didn't know better I might think that Long Island is something you guys made up - an island that is long. There has to be something about the region that should be represented here. What makes this map uniquely Long Island, and not the Haiti map with a slightly different shape?

Little details to work out: some of your territory borders come together very closely, and could look like 4-way borders on the small map. Shelter Island borders East Hampton? Because if it's really an island it shouldn't without a dotted line to cross the water. Text would look better if you didn't rotate some to run along coasts - since most of your text is horizontal, the ones that are crooked look like mistakes.
Captain oaktown

Postby sailorseal on Sat May 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks oak we will get to work on those

(Now I am off to make a "Battle of the Yacht Owners" map :lol:)
Cook sailorseal

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:14 am

Referring to oak's points about gameplay above:

There is nothing wrong with reducing the bonuses for the boats to encourage players to go for the land bonuses - they would still get used by players as a means to move forces around the map.

Another possible idea may be to have just one bonus for holding all of the boats?

On a seperate note, are you considering having a neutral on North Fork in case players drop the bonus at the start?
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby sailorseal on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:18 am

DJ Teflon wrote:Referring to oak's points about gameplay above:

There is nothing wrong with reducing the bonuses for the boats to encourage players to go for the land bonuses - they would still get used by players as a means to move forces around the map.

Another possible idea may be to have just one bonus for holding all of the boats?

On a seperate note, are you considering having a neutral on North Fork in case players drop the bonus at the start?

Those are both good ideas thank you, the nuetral will be done.

Now do you mean having only one bonus for all the boats or having a additional bonus for all the boats?
Cook sailorseal

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:55 am

DJ Teflon wrote:Referring to oak's points about gameplay above:

I have already reduced to 2, i think that should help.
DJ Teflon wrote:Another possible idea may be to have just one bonus for holding all of the boats?

Honestly, i don't think i am going to go with this one. I don't really think it is a good idea on this map to have a bonus where the territories do not directly connect to each other. i am going to go with the two seperate bonuses.
DJ Teflon wrote:On a seperate note, are you considering having a neutral on North Fork in case players drop the bonus at the start?

The neutral will be added, thank you
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby iancanton on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:15 pm

after the starting neutral is added, there will be 32 non-neutral starting regions, which is a reasonably nice number. if the land bonuses, except north fork, are all increased slightly, then a land-based strategy starts to become more viable than it is just now.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby danfrank on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:12 pm

i have to agree with previous posts. This map is not unique to long island and does a poor job representing it. All it has is the shape .. im from long island and have supported this map from the beginning and more so than any other map . i was expecting something grand and now theres just disappointment :(
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby sailorseal on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:44 pm

danfrank wrote:i have to agree with previous posts. This map is not unique to long island and does a poor job representing it. All it has is the shape .. im from long island and have supported this map from the beginning and more so than any other map . i was expecting something grand and now theres just disappointment :(

The last 5 or so posts say nothing about this. I spend my summers in LI (Westhampton) and I feel the boats and water feel are their for LI but what would you like to see, what do you feel is LI'ish?
Cook sailorseal

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 pm

sailorseal wrote:
danfrank wrote:i have to agree with previous posts. This map is not unique to long island and does a poor job representing it. All it has is the shape .. im from long island and have supported this map from the beginning and more so than any other map . i was expecting something grand and now theres just disappointment :(

The last 5 or so posts say nothing about this. I spend my summers in LI (Westhampton) and I feel the boats and water feel are their for LI but what would you like to see, what do you feel is LI'ish?

he is reffering to the previous posts about gameplay smart one
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

SUGGESTIONS FOR LONG ISLAND MAP

Postby qwertylpc on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:54 pm

im from long island in setauket next to stony brook and port jefferson in the township of brookhaven

this map is a great idea and i love it, just the execution is bad
some of my ideas ar

long island is connected by major roads such as the northern and southern (check google maps if u dont know wat im taking about) so add these roads and if u hold all on a road there will be a bonus

long island has moved away from ships, there are only a few major harbors i would put jeff and nrthport harbors connected to the ships if i had any ships
i think you should put ferries INSTEAD there is one from port jeff to bridgeport connecticut
its okay to have a few territories not on the island
there is another major one that i cant remember of the top of my head but its farther west than port jeff add a ferry bonus

to add a little zest to the map add something about sporting events we have the yankees mets knicks islanders rangers in the city and belmont stakes bethpage black on the island
maybe add msg the belmont stakes and belmont black as a region to recieve bonuses
maybe add in some entertainment we have jones beach and many other beachs like it where there are concerts

im not trying to sound critical im just trying to help you make this map the best it can be ive lived here my whole life and i cant wait to see this map up and running

-qwertylpc
Major qwertylpc

Location: In front of a computer somewhere out there in the universe

Postby sailorseal on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks, we will take that all into consideration
Cook sailorseal

Postby peanutman on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Two thoughts, looking at the map, come to mind.

1) With a map name like Long Island, you would expect to see an island but from the map itself, not knowing the geography of the NYC area, it doesn't look like an island. After googling, I saw that it seperates from the mainland just west of where you cut it off. You might want to look into that, especially for those who don't know the area.

2) Talking about making it more distinctive of Long Island, another idea could be to include LaGuardia airport or imagery about that.

Thought it might help to hear from someone who doesn't know the area.
Sergeant 1st Class peanutman

Postby Teflon Kris on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:57 pm

Although I am completely ignorant of the area's local geography,the last point, about showing the island to be seperated from the mainland, carries much weight in terms of the map's geographical representation of a real place. Although arguably not essential, it would be preferable if the map showed Long Island as being seperated from the mainlaind.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby iancanton on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:30 am

peanutman wrote:Talking about making it more distinctive of Long Island, another idea could be to include LaGuardia airport or imagery about that.

long island airport, which is at islip, is served by southwest airlines and us airways. it describes itself as the most convenient airport in the New York Metro area. an airport bonus will make the big central surrey bonus zone more attractive. historically, there has often been opposition to single-region bonuses on a classic-style map because they must start neutral.

http://www.macarthurairport.com/index.shtml

i much prefer the horizontal names to the diagonal ones.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby captainwalrus on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:21 pm

The internal borders look a little odd, they are all made up of straigt lines, no curves. Why is that?
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby danfrank on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:33 pm

RECYCLE BIN
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:10 pm

danfrank wrote:RECYCLE BIN

Oh, Why?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box