Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Colisevm

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v21.1)

Postby grifftron on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:19 am

Put some people in the stands, no one is watching the gladiators fight 8-)

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby PepeAtila on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 pm

grifftron wrote:Put some people in the stands, no one is watching the gladiators fight 8-)

-griff

Thank you I do it .... just the ticket is very expensive :D
show: image 21-1
Last edited by PepeAtila on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:33 pm

Now it kinda looks like the wall is higher in the back than in the front.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby PepeAtila on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:39 pm

natty_dread wrote:Now it kinda looks like the wall is higher in the back than in the front.

I think mainly it was because of the people size ... what about now? I think is closer...
show: image 22-2
Last edited by PepeAtila on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Well it's better... There are still some glitches though. For one thing that stand where caesar is standing seems to be in the wrong angle...

Postby PepeAtila on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm

natty_dread wrote:Well it's better... There are still some glitches though. For one thing that stand where caesar is standing seems to be in the wrong angle...

well it is possible to eliminate it, however I think it can be like this ... (at the end I turn it a little more than I should ... but just few changes ...
show: image 22-3
Last edited by PepeAtila on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain PepeAtila

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v22.3)

Postby PepeAtila on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:48 pm

I mean like this (v22.4)
show: image 22-4
Last edited by PepeAtila on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Well that looks better. The right side is tilted oddly though, try to make it similar to the left side.

Postby The Neon Peon on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Many Gladiator arenas would have rubble in the middle, I believe.

Have you considered using rubble/broken horse carrages/etc. in a few areas as impassables rather than covering the map with blood icons? I think it would make the movement from outer to inner circles a more intuitive/clear.

Other than that, good luck with the 3d look, I think you're getting really close to getting the perspective right.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby PepeAtila on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:52 am

The Neon Peon wrote:Many Gladiator arenas would have rubble in the middle, I believe.

Have you considered using rubble/broken horse carrages/etc. in a few areas as impassables rather than covering the map with blood icons? I think it would make the movement from outer to inner circles a more intuitive/clear. perhaps making some icon to impassable areas is a good idea... even when there are the same amount than blood icons (except these arround the "Medivs")... I am thinking on it, ... because the main problem is another icon (like a broken horse carrage is going to make the arena very "charged" ....

Other than that, good luck with the 3d look, I think you're getting really close to getting the perspective right. thank you very much

natty_dread wrote:Well that looks better. The right side is tilted oddly though, try to make it similar to the left side. I will try
Captain PepeAtila

Postby PepeAtila on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby PepeAtila on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:33 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:Many Gladiator arenas would have rubble in the middle, I believe.

Have you considered using rubble/broken horse carrages/etc. in a few areas as impassables rather than covering the map with blood icons? I think it would make the movement from outer to inner circles a more intuitive/clear.

Other than that, good luck with the 3d look, I think you're getting really close to getting the perspective right.

Too much icons for impassable!! ...
show: sample icons for impassable

I really think it is better "marking" where it is possible the 2 ways attacks
Click image to enlarge.

natty_dread wrote:Well that looks better. The right side is tilted oddly though, try to make it similar to the left side.

The original map is bigger than this. I reduced it an 80% to make this. what are the "more correct" sizes for large and small maps? ... Could this map be considered small or large?? I mean have I to reduce it as much as possible?? Thank you.

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by PepeAtila on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain PepeAtila

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v22.5)

Postby PepeAtila on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:15 am

Perhaps this can be a good size for the small playable map... but I think is better the before size just redicing the blood icons.
Click image to enlarge.
PepeAtila
Captain PepeAtila

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm really worried about the amount of effort you are putting into developing this map using MS Powerpoint. You will struggle to bring your map to the required quality without switching to a proper graphics-editing program.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby PepeAtila on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:25 pm

MrBenn wrote:I'm really worried about the amount of effort you are putting into developing this map using MS Powerpoint. You will struggle to bring your map to the required quality without switching to a proper graphics-editing program.

well, I like the challenges ;) ... I think it was not so hard ... even when my main aim was to develop the "idea" more than the graphical design. For me it doesn't worth to learn another program because I just do it for fun and I am sure for my "utilities" I reach enough. I think it is being an almost-last effort because I cannot improve too much more, but I think even if I use another program it will not improve so much ... I don't see it so far, but I would understand any decision.

Thank you.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:03 am

Loving the challenges is one thing, but try to win an impossible challenge is something different.
I've already suggested to you to try using a real graphics software because I try to finish a map and have a CC quality standard using only MS PowerPoint is something difficult (if not impossible) also for the most experienced mapmaker.
But if you don't want to learn to use a new software you can think to ask around in the foundry if someone with more experience with graphics is willing to help you.

Now, we already talked about the difficulty of developing the right perspective.
I think that the current point of view from makes things more complicated than they are.
I did a quick rough draft to give you an idea about how you should rearrange things around the map and change your perspective.
It will simplify the graphics development: Keep down the point of view and try to use the title and legend to cover as much as possible the arena.(fewer details to draw)
As you can see the playable part of the map remains the focal point of the image and there should be enough space to keep us all the information. ;)

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby PepeAtila on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:27 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Loving the challenges is one thing, but try to win an impossible challenge is something different. of course it will become impossible.
I've already suggested to you to try using a real graphics software because I try to finish a map and have a CC quality standard using only MS PowerPoint is something difficult (if not impossible) also for the most experienced mapmaker.perhaps, since I don't know what "quality standards" are the rules... I cannot improve too much while I don't see where is the problem ... as you know I was thinking to make a "plane map" later I was giving it details ... now I don't know what is the problem with the map ... really I watch it and I see the correct perspective ...
But if you don't want to learn to use a new software you can think to ask around in the foundry if someone with more experience with graphics is willing to help you. well, I have used several graphic programs, but really I don't see so much difference... as I tell you before the main is to know what is wrong... of course always everything can be improved but just I don't see, in this case, what can I improve using and beginning again with another tool

Now, we already talked about the difficulty of developing the right perspective. I still thinking in the main point ... the playable map, to do the right perspective it would be necessary to make also the icons in perspective (closer bigger)...
I think that the current point of view from makes things more complicated than they are. :) things are so difficult as we want to make them. I repeat for me in this moment the map is "good"... but of course somebody can say to prefer a different point of view.
I did a quick rough draft to give you an idea about how you should rearrange things around the map and change your perspective. I think I should give up, since I know I will not reach it. I just can improve something if I don't see it "well made".
It will simplify the graphics development: Keep down the point of view and try to use the title and legend to cover as much as possible the arena.(fewer details to draw) really I know it ... I will send the "last try" but I will not change the perspective again.
As you can see the playable part of the map remains the focal point of the image and there should be enough space to keep us all the information. ;) really thank you ... I know how difficult is to make this graphic ... just I made the doors smaller than the wall to avoid this "dificullty" ... please don't get angry with my comments as I am not angry (even I am smiling) ... but I would like to know ... what is the problem with this my last map

Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby PepeAtila on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:31 pm

I can try this type of door if you think is going to change the disposition about the map ... but I think is not necessary.

Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:25 pm

More Coliseum, less pizza platter. You have the right perspective/idea with the bros in the stands, but the rest is an attempt to make 2D look 3D.

Why are you overcomplicating the icons? Just use straight arrows, something cool-looking. I'd like to hear your justification for using drops of…blood(?) for two-ways and odd arrows for another.

There are a lot of things you should change, but focus on the overall perspective and making it look like a real arena first. After you get that down, start making the map look more Roman and have the different aspects mesh together in a single image.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby PepeAtila on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:11 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:More Coliseum, less pizza platter. yes, I can do it. In fact if you see some version before I have been reducing the grandstand... because the game it is going to be in the pizza platter. You have the right perspective/idea with the bros in the stands, but the rest is an attempt to make 2D look 3D.you are right, the playable zone is 2D because I think/thought it will be better for a game map.

Why are you overcomplicating the icons? Just use straight arrows, something cool-looking. I'd like to hear your justification for using drops of…blood(?) for two-ways and odd arrows for another. the arrows like this are to make easier to understand the movement, the drops are because I need a non-complicate icon .. if you see the "history" of the map you would realize how I was trying different options, if I use a double arrow it become too many arrows... the drop is the simplest symbol I found for it

There are a lot of things you should change, I don't see this lot... do you mean can be changed? yes. do you mean should change? why a lot...? ;) look at the version 1 ... everything is different. I think I changed enough ... except if there is a clear reason to do it. but focus on the overall perspective and making it look like a real arena first. thank you very much it is the first I am going to do. After you get that down, start making the map look more Roman and have the different aspects mesh together in a single image.I will try, thank you... I hope today.

Thank you for your help, mainly about make me to understand I should forget about the whole map and make first the Arena.

Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Welp, if Ian has convinced you to take a new look at this map I'd like to bring up an old suggestion I had for this map: Use arrow shaped territories (similar to Circus Maximus) to illustrate the movement on the concentric circles. It's clear, its easy and it would make a nice nod to the other Roman Games map we have.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Welp, if Ian has convinced you to take a new look at this map I'd like to bring up an old suggestion I had for this map: Use arrow shaped territories (similar to Circus Maximus) to illustrate the movement on the concentric circles. It's clear, its easy and it would make a nice nod to the other Roman Games map we have.

I like this---it would remove a lot of icon-clutter. Sometimes the icons aren't that eye-abusive, like in Draknor...the arrows work, but they still dominate the map.

However, I think regions shaped like arrows sounds like a good workaround icon-clutter.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby PepeAtila on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:20 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:Welp, if Ian has convinced you to take a new look at this map I'd like to bring up an old suggestion I had for this map: Use arrow shaped territories (similar to Circus Maximus) to illustrate the movement on the concentric circles. It's clear, its easy and it would make a nice nod to the other Roman Games map we have.

I like this---it would remove a lot of icon-clutter. Sometimes the icons aren't that eye-abusive, like in Draknor...the arrows work, but they still dominate the map.

However, I think regions shaped like arrows sounds like a good workaround icon-clutter.

--Andy

I didn't talk about to change .. just first the Arena

I am going to do the gates/doors with this perspective

Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:50 pm

I have grave concerns about the capability of your graphics software to make this a viable map.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby PepeAtila on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:46 am

MrBenn wrote:I have grave concerns about the capability of your graphics software to make this a viable map.

well, then I guess I should give up. Just it was a try to share something else with CC-players. No problem, I will expend my time in other issues.
best regards.
Captain PepeAtila

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box