Conquer Club

Clandemonium [GP,GX,XML,BETA]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Clan Chaos Map

Postby Blitzaholic on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:34 pm

natty_dread wrote:I assume the one on the first post is the latest version...

"Portals can attack and bombard each other"? eh... :)

Anyway... The regions seem too uniform to me. I would like some more variation to the gameplay. Be creative... Things like one way attack routes between clan areas would probably work well for the map. See, then you'd need to fort one set of territories for defense and another set of territories for attack...

Right now each clan has exactly 3 borders to defend, which is fine since you're going to use starting positions (I assume)... but, IMO, it also makes the gameplay a bit boring when combined with the fact that all the regions are uniformly shaped and arranged.

I guess all I'm saying is, try to bring some more variation to the gameplay.

ok, thank you very much, let me see what we can do.
General Blitzaholic

Postby Blitzaholic on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:01 pm

I would just like to say, I have a new found respect for all the map makers, this is very challenging and much harder than I thought. You all who made maps and got them approved and stamped and playable are very smart and creative people, much more than me, I am a noob and struggling a little here. I will keep plugging away.

I would just like to applaud all the map makers and all the hard work they do, I am very humbled on my 1st attempt and need all the input and ideas from the experts. I am way out of my league on this, but, it is a good challenge.

Respectfully, Blitzy
General Blitzaholic

Postby edwinissweet on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Im a Huge AOM2 fan, so here is my suggestion.

No mans land can be turned into a awesome-evil looking castle. Ofcourse, you cant have an evil castle without the king, so we throw lack in there and he can be the evil king. The clans around what is now no mans land can be the kings guard. The object of the game could be to over throw the king, but you cant over throw the king alone, so to be able to make an assult on the king, you should have to hold 2 clans.

Sorry, might be confusing, I understand you have something going there already, but since its early it might still catch someones attention, and possibly elaborate on it :D
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Blitz and griff...i assume this is your latest version.

I haven't read through the thread, so please forgive if stuff has already been mentioned.

Firstly. in your front page where you edit the first entry, could you put up in the "master" title what number the latest version is and on which page it can be found..for instance...Clan Choas Map V5 (P8)
If i didn't know different this layout and part of gameplay is almost modelled on Valley of the Kings.

I'd ditch the yellow glow around the legend text. Yellow on gray doesn't go so good and is hard to read.

Your main map font is also hard to read first off.

You have some four way corners on blue... a no-no, unless you plan on placing an impassable mountain or other such feature there.

The trees/bushes between blue and green are starting to look good, but some of the other impassables obviously you're still working on their formation.

Try to shorten the lead story,,,player don't like having to read too much, hence they constantly get in trouble when they don't read instructions on maps, so tryu to keep it short and sweet.

The castles are all the same design, is this intentional?
Why not make each castle out of the logos basic shape?

If the connections B1-8 are meant to be bridges, then give them more solid graphic.
I'm not entirely sure what they are....swamp perhaps.

i don't think the borders between each territory need a drop shadow.....and while i'm on that....why not make the land look like land....you know like i did in Waterloo or mibi did in D-Day. It's only a brush paint skill you've got to learn and it would be very worthwhile.

ONly some suggestions, guys. Good luck. Keep going though, you'll get there! :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Mr_Adams on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:25 pm

to start classically or feudal like? you may want to put a note in if the game starts out on the clan HQ's/castles, or whatever they are called. also, what is this concept of bombard or attack? can that be done? it seems like it wouldn't work (would require a third drop down menu when attacking?). like the concept, and it gives me an idea. the symmetry is a bit odd, but it guarantees that nobody will start at a disadvantage.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:05 pm

POLL RESULT

how many clans on map?
Poll ended at Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:13 pm

8... 33... 46%
12... 13... 18%
16... 9... 13%
18... 16... 23%

Total votes : 71
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:17 pm

InsomniaRed wrote:I'm not so sure about having the 'best' clans on this map as a great idea. I mean sure, they've won more clan wars and whatnot, but I think it should be based on longest running clans rather than some ladder. Some of these clans have been around for only a few months, what about the ones that have been active on CC for years? Gen 1, VDLL, and even BpBhave been on here for much longer than say TOFU or KORT. I believe their dedication should be rewarded as being part of this map too. TOFU and KORT just got a bunch of very good, high ranked players together to make unstoppable clans that rose to the top quickly, is it really fair to leave out long-term, hardworking clans? (not saying that newer clans are not hardworking, don't take it that way)

I dunno, it may sound like I am whining or complaining, but this really has nothing to do with my clan being left out, if that is the case. I just feel that longevity is an important factor for this decision, though I believe this map would be very fun :)

I agree with this and I am from KORT. Though I would add a clan needs to be active at the time. Dead clans need not be added.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:27 pm

I have (rather painfully) read through all 8 pages of the thread. The argument over names is fairly typical of maps where the creator(s) start out with the aim to represent some facet of CC on a map.

I recall a handful of posts where people have commented n the map itself, and in my opinion, this is where you need to start:
Do you want to specifically mention 8 clans, or do you want to encapsulate something that belonging to a clan represents?

The approach you're going for, with 8 selected clans has the potential to quickly become a novelty map with very little to attract members of CC who do not belong to those clans.

I know from experience that changing map images/xml during a period while games are in play causes controversy amongst the CC population - even when changes are announced well in advance of the date. Personally I would be in support of an ever-changing clan-specific map, but have no idea whether or not it is something that lack would support. If it were, then this would have to occur as something outside the realms of standard map development, as the consequences of continually-changing map images would need to be explored or otherwise vetoed (and people on this site don't seem to like exclusions from the norm :lol: )

My suggestion would be almost identical to that of chipv a couple of pages back... If you remove the arbitrary clan names for now, and try and develop a map without the "gimmick factor" (at least in the initial stages), then you will be more likely to successfully develop a map with wide appeal.

Apologies if this doesn't make too much sense - I have snow on the brains!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby jiminski on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I am not sure i can be bothered with all this already...

It should be remembered that selected clans were approached first and asked for permission to use our names on the map!. Of course there will now be resistance against a generic map with Territories called: -

"Clan leaders Cavern"
or
"Clan Tournament Directors Knoll"

In my opinion it would be far more fun to have Clan-specific names.
- If we are going to have 36 clans represented - then give em 2 territories evocative of their essence, fine by me!

But let's get something, anything set in stone so we can move forward with a focus.

- If you get an idea of Gameplay first them we can choose clan numbers based around that.
or
- If you get clan numbers decided first then we can formulate gameplay around that

i think Blitz and Griff should go away, decide definitively on the concept and if they want individual clans represented specifically or not! We now have too many voices dragging in too many directions and we will end up with either nothing at all or a compromise which offends no one but is equally loved by no one.
Captain jiminski

Postby Blitzaholic on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:42 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

Blitz and griff...i assume this is your latest version.

I haven't read through the thread, so please forgive if stuff has already been mentioned.

Firstly. in your front page where you edit the first entry, could you put up in the "master" title what number the latest version is and on which page it can be found..for instance...Clan Choas Map V5 (P8)
If i didn't know different this layout and part of gameplay is almost modelled on Valley of the Kings.

I'd ditch the yellow glow around the legend text. Yellow on gray doesn't go so good and is hard to read.

Your main map font is also hard to read first off.

You have some four way corners on blue... a no-no, unless you plan on placing an impassable mountain or other such feature there.

The trees/bushes between blue and green are starting to look good, but some of the other impassables obviously you're still working on their formation.

Try to shorten the lead story,,,player don't like having to read too much, hence they constantly get in trouble when they don't read instructions on maps, so tryu to keep it short and sweet.

The castles are all the same design, is this intentional?
Why not make each castle out of the logos basic shape?

If the connections B1-8 are meant to be bridges, then give them more solid graphic.
I'm not entirely sure what they are....swamp perhaps.

i don't think the borders between each territory need a drop shadow.....and while i'm on that....why not make the land look like land....you know like i did in Waterloo or mibi did in D-Day. It's only a brush paint skill you've got to learn and it would be very worthwhile.

ONly some suggestions, guys. Good luck. Keep going though, you'll get there! :)

ok cairnswk, thx, I will make some changes and griff should be on tonight to make some other changes thx for the suggestions.
General Blitzaholic

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi guys, congrats on the work.

Skipping the conceptual part, Iā€™ll get straight ahead to game play. I donā€™t see big issues here, the mechanics are quite familiar to anyone who plays Feudal War (who doesnā€™t! :) ).

-Just a note on that duality given to portals, attack/bombard ā€“ I donā€™t know what that meansā€¦

-Also, Iā€™d like to see some different attributes given to those Clanā€™s territories. They all have 1 portal region connecting to a bridge; 2 side borders; 9 terrs; 2 Clan neighbours. This means that starting in the Legends of War Starting Point (SP) for instances, will be exactly the same has starting in the Imperial Dragoons SP ā€“ the same drills & mechanics repeated by 8.

-(on a graphical note) the army circles in those river crossings/bridges shouldnā€™t be mistook by the SP circleā€¦ in fact I donā€™t think that those bridges should hold armies unless they yield any kind of bonus like in Castle Lands.

I will not step further into the graphical stuff ā€˜cause I know things are kind ā€˜of schematic atm and you need to solve all conceptual/game-play stuff first. But Iā€™ll just lay here 2 headlines: region borders shouldnā€™t drop shadows; make a soft and discrete use of colours, blending them as much as you can;

Keep on the good work!!
K
Major Kabanellas

Postby grifftron on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:16 am

Great comments.

I am going to stick with the idea we have now, i see lots that like the idea, and even tho it is the same kind of drill in each 8 starting points, this will be more fair to all that play this map, I hate playing Feudal with pros that know the drill of each starting point when I don't. So why not make a map that has the same sort of drill each place you are dropped? And really i don't think it will be the same drill, as we continue to change the game play on this map, hopefully we will end with something solid that will be fair to all clans, if we do make clans different and make some "defending" clans and some "attacking" clans, would this be fair when we start off in landing points? or is someone going to get an advantage?

Thanks again for all the comments, we will continue to hit away at this game play and get a solid map down.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Blitzaholic on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:35 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:to start classically or feudal like? you may want to put a note in if the game starts out on the clan HQ's/castles, or whatever they are called. also, what is this concept of bombard or attack? can that be done? it seems like it wouldn't work (would require a third drop down menu when attacking?). like the concept, and it gives me an idea. the symmetry is a bit odd, but it guarantees that nobody will start at a disadvantage.

thank you, looking into it
General Blitzaholic

Postby Blitzaholic on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:36 pm

Kabanellas wrote:Hi guys, congrats on the work.

Skipping the conceptual part, Iā€™ll get straight ahead to game play. I donā€™t see big issues here, the mechanics are quite familiar to anyone who plays Feudal War (who doesnā€™t! :) ).

-Just a note on that duality given to portals, attack/bombard ā€“ I donā€™t know what that meansā€¦

-Also, Iā€™d like to see some different attributes given to those Clanā€™s territories. They all have 1 portal region connecting to a bridge; 2 side borders; 9 terrs; 2 Clan neighbours. This means that starting in the Legends of War Starting Point (SP) for instances, will be exactly the same has starting in the Imperial Dragoons SP ā€“ the same drills & mechanics repeated by 8.

-(on a graphical note) the army circles in those river crossings/bridges shouldnā€™t be mistook by the SP circleā€¦ in fact I donā€™t think that those bridges should hold armies unless they yield any kind of bonus like in Castle Lands.

I will not step further into the graphical stuff ā€˜cause I know things are kind ā€˜of schematic atm and you need to solve all conceptual/game-play stuff first. But Iā€™ll just lay here 2 headlines: region borders shouldnā€™t drop shadows; make a soft and discrete use of colours, blending them as much as you can;

Keep on the good work!!
K

ty for the feedback Kabanellas, we will be open to this. =D>
General Blitzaholic

Postby skeletonboy on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Battle of the Clans
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby Knight2254 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:40 pm

Voted for Clandamonium, sounds pretty cool.
Brigadier Knight2254

Postby reptile on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:45 pm

i voted other

what about something similar to :

Conquer Club's World War III
Major reptile

Postby peanutsdad on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:58 pm

i voted for clan chaos, but clandamonium was second.
Lieutenant peanutsdad

Postby Chariot of Fire on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Had been thinking 'Clangers' or 'Clandestiny', but Clandamonium's great. Witty, descriptive and catchy - nice one :D
Brigadier Chariot of Fire

Postby Hopscotcher on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:39 pm

Is it possible to choose between Attack and Bombard?

You said they can Attack and Bombard through Portals. Just curious.

Anyway, it looks a lot like Conquer Crater which I hate in all honesty, but this is better than that by far.
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:36 am

portals can attack and bombard each other? that doesn't make sense... they do one or the other. unless i'm mistaken
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:21 am

whitestazn88 wrote:do one or the other

No offence, but I think that whenever I see your av ;)
Brigadier Chariot of Fire

Postby grifftron on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:58 am

Sorry that was my mistake, it will be attack only and not bombard. I am a map Noob so give me a break on that one ;)

Blitz and I are working on making this map a little different, basically the same gameplay with 8 clans with 9 territories each, 8 castles (which include names of the other 8 clans), we will still have NM land but the bridges will be gone, and NM land will only be reached by portals (still deciding how many portals we will put on NM land)... And all portals can ATTACK each other of course. And we will still have pinnacle in the middle of NM land (No Mans Land).

Click image to enlarge.

green will be land of course (i will probley end up redoing it just to make some lands a little bigger, and the blue will be impassables, will consist of mountains, water, rocks and whatever else i can think of.

This is a quick 5 min draw up I made of what this idea might look like, pretty much same gameplay without the bridges and without the circle look, let us know what you think, Blitz and I both think its a good look.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:51 am

Hm. Your new image somehow reminds me of molten candle wax... ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby grifftron on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:57 am

natty_dread wrote:Hm. Your new image somehow reminds me of molten candle wax... ;)

:lol: Its just a 1 click effect on PS. You are the one that said my first map idea looked like a ditch with tugboats inside! :D
Its the idea i am going for here natty. What do you think of the idea from going from the circle map to this one? Let us know Natty. :mrgreen:

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas