Conquer Club

New York City [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby benny profane on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:57 am

agreed.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:23 pm

snapdoodle wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
3. U.E.S & L.E.S. & U.W.S. needs explanation in the legend please for all players who are not familiar with New York suburbs....just as a footnote style thing.

12. i know this will probably sound "kitch" but is there a possibliity of adding Liberty Island and making an "icon" out of it, worth one bonus or something on that what i beleive is a Ferry Route - the dashed line.

3. Do you think it still needs a footnote? In the tert selection we were thinking it would say U.E.S so people would see it. Or is this more for people to be familiar with the locations on the map?

12. As you know we've been fiddling with the idea of adding liberty island but we're not sure if that's so great an idea anymore. Initially we were going to add a few islands, Governor's Island, Ellis Island, and Liberty Island... but we kind of don't have space for all three and we're not particularly in favor of just having the single island... so we may have liberty island but it might not be a playable tert.

3. I still don't think it wouldn't hurt to have the abbreviations explained.

12. OK.....but adding liberty island with the statue on it is going to give some flavour to this map which mibi was talking about.
So why not make it a playable territory....apart from wolrd trade centre, statue is probably next most known icon of NY.
You could make it a neutral for game start...
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:55 pm

snapdoodle wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Instead of

"To transfer to another train line transfer station () must be held"

I'd put something like.

"Transfer stations () can attack adjacent stations on either line"

What do you reckon?

Also -

The way the train bonuses are written it looks a bit like they're part of Staten Island... - And the instructions for subways are well away from them - I'd try to rejig that a bit closer - and you defs need a "Subways aren't part of Suburb/Borough Bonuses" line.

C.

all good ideas. i think benny would agree. they solve problems.

Actually, i don't think you need the second line of legend explanation at all. This was a left-over from when stations could attack down the line, but now that stations can only attack adjacent lines it seems pretty obvious that transfer stations can attack adjacent stations on both lines. A simple graphic of a transfer station with the words "transfer station" is all that is needed.

Another leftover from the old days is the word "only" in the previous line of the legend... that should go.
Captain oaktown

Postby Blitzaholic on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:51 pm

when some of these get close to done, is it possible to put it in general discussion, so more can view it?
General Blitzaholic

Postby benny profane on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Blitzaholic wrote:when some of these get close to done, is it possible to put it in general discussion, so more can view it?

do you mean oaktown's "maps in development" thread?

update tomorrow folks...

sorry things have slowed down, but snap is getting married!
Lieutenant benny profane

Kosciuszko Bridge ?

Postby ericv on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but what about including the Kosciuszko Bridge connecting Williamburg/Brooklyn & Sunnyside/Queens?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosciuszko ... _York_City)
Perhaps you feel that would lessen the value of Manhattan... just throwing it out there.
Overall what you have going looks great and I can't wait to conquer the Big Apple as I have been awaiting its addition. It's got a geography well suited for CC, an obvious add, and as a long time area resident and 10 decades of family residence, I'm happy to see this developing. Thanks!
General ericv

Postby benny profane on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:16 pm

hey folks...
time for an update.

done:
-removed eyesore known as mini map in legend
-added names to continents and some bodies of water
-added detail to parks
-reorganized legend
-added island bonus
-renamed "Travis" to be "The Mall"
-moved UWS station to Harlem

to do:
-continent bonuses
-decorate legend (that's why we left so much space there)
-throw around ideas for aesthetics

so...the big question is, what does everyone think of the island bonuses?
this was mostly in response to a comment by cairnswk, which was that downtown manhattan seemed to be at a disadvantage.
this gives players the opportunity to build from the bottom.
is it clear from the legend how the island bonuses work?
we're still working on legend detail, what snap calls "the pretty stuff."

thanks everyone, hope to hear from you all!

-benny and snap
Lieutenant benny profane

Re: Kosciuszko Bridge ?

Postby benny profane on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:18 pm

ericv wrote:Sorry if this has been brought up before, but what about including the Kosciuszko Bridge connecting Williamburg/Brooklyn & Sunnyside/Queens?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosciuszko ... _York_City)
Perhaps you feel that would lessen the value of Manhattan... just throwing it out there.
Overall what you have going looks great and I can't wait to conquer the Big Apple as I have been awaiting its addition. It's got a geography well suited for CC, an obvious add, and as a long time area resident and 10 decades of family residence, I'm happy to see this developing. Thanks!

thanks for the support!

we passed on using that bridge because we wanted to use that river as an impasse. there are already enough connections between brooklyn and queens and manhattan. we're worried there are too many bridges already.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:26 pm

A note on bonuses: Queens looks hard to hold, maybe you should give a particularly large bonus for holding all of it? Kind of like Europe in World 2.0.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:21 am

mybe you can let the subway not go under the army circels
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:24 am

Like the new legend... - clear and concise and unconfusable.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby snapdoodle on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:20 am

Lone.prophet wrote:mybe you can let the subway not go under the army circels

Our bigger concern was the train line going through the names but it seemed that putting the names into the terits was a high priority. We tried hard while we made this to keep the cross over to a minimum but there are certain areas where there is just not enough room, like Downtown Manhattan.

You can still see the train line underneath the army circle so it is not so great a problem for me. Benny may agree with you but I do not see how we can avoid all the names and army circles on the small map.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby benny profane on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:26 am

snapdoodle wrote:
Lone.prophet wrote:mybe you can let the subway not go under the army circels

Our bigger concern was the train line going through the names but it seemed that putting the names into the terits was a high priority. We tried hard while we made this to keep the cross over to a minimum but there are certain areas where there is just not enough room, like Downtown Manhattan.

You can still see the train line underneath the army circle so it is not so great a problem for me. Benny may agree with you but I do not see how we can avoid all the names and army circles on the small map.

snap is right. the map is crowded, and the subway lines would be annoyingly squiggly if we tried to avoid any overlap at all.
people should be able to distinguish between territory army circles, and subway train stations. so i'm not worried about that.
and besides, this is kinda what yeti_c and i were talking about. namely, how to show that the subway trains were technically beneath the ground of the territories. the slight overlap seems sufficient to me.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby mibi on Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:15 pm

I think the crowdedness give the map more of an NYC feel.
Captain mibi

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:09 pm

I like the way the map is looking...it's nice to actually see this old idea go some place. :)

I see you've got plans to work on the legend...which is good...because it needs a lot of work! I look forward to whatever you've got in mind, and I'll comment back once you've got something.

Regarding the small map, I think it the territory names on the map may benefit from a little boldening. That would help the clarity and readability.

As for the decorative names (like the rivers and the continental names on the map) it might be nice to spruce them up with a font that has more feeling.

Otherwise I like the direction this map is going.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby mibi on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:56 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I like the way the map is looking...it's nice to actually see this old idea go some place. :)

I see you've got plans to work on the legend...which is good...because it needs a lot of work! I look forward to whatever you've got in mind, and I'll comment back once you've got something.

Regarding the small map, I think it the territory names on the map may benefit from a little boldening. That would help the clarity and readability.

As for the decorative names (like the rivers and the continental names on the map) it might be nice to spruce them up with a font that has more feeling.

Otherwise I like the direction this map is going.

'boldening' may actually reduce visibility as it would reduce the negative space between letters, as well increasing the size. A better option would be to adjust the anti aliasing properties of the text. Smooth, crisp, strong, and sharp are all possible settings.

--Andy
Captain mibi

Postby rustlemania on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:30 am

the map looks great. far better than many that are already playable. sounds like folks are nitpicking. so quickly change the fonts to appease people's preferences. you need to make it prettier... it is, after all, based off a NYC subway map. have you ever seen one of those? gorgeous!
so when can we play this? sorry, i'm just so darn anxious.
congrats on the upcoming marriage, keith!
Major rustlemania

Postby rebelman on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:33 pm

i really like this map but the army circles seem to take over - if you look at the small map especially they really take over - any chance they could be more subtle ?
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby rebelman on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:41 pm

also the water seems to be smudging onto the terrs. in several places (one of the other map makers could probably explain this better)

on the subject of the water i think overall it could look much better graphically.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby rustlemania on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:03 pm

actually, i like this guy's point about the water. it's nyc... so the color needs to be a dirtier, brownish blue... and if you guys could add some garbage, that'd be great. thanks!
Major rustlemania

Postby benny profane on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:23 pm

thanks mibi, we'll try it out.

rebelman wrote:i really like this map but the army circles seem to take over - if you look at the small map especially they really take over - any chance they could be more subtle ?

we can try to fade them a bit, but we want to be sure that army numbers are clearly distinguished from the territory colors.
they may not look so bad with numbers over them...

rebelman wrote:also the water seems to be smudging onto the terrs. in several places

could you be more specific? not sure i see what you mean. can you name the territories that are getting smudged?

rustlemania wrote:actually, i like this guy's point about the water. it's nyc... so the color needs to be a dirtier, brownish blue... and if you guys could add some garbage, that'd be great. thanks!

agreed. floating garbage, coming up.
hey, i could do you one better...
how's about we add a little boat, and call it, oh i don't know, how about the "michael cosgrove"...and we could fill it with prisoners from riker's, who are on their way to potter's field to bury the bodies of homeless people!
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:34 pm

I actually kinda like the font... makes me think New York for some reason. Maybe it's the same font as the Times.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby benny profane on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:37 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I actually kinda like the font... makes me think New York for some reason. Maybe it's the same font as the Times.

we wanted to use the new york times font, that would have been great.
but it's obviously copyrighted.
we found a sample, and we could fiddle with it, but there's other stuff we want to try out first.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:45 pm

benny profane wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:I actually kinda like the font... makes me think New York for some reason. Maybe it's the same font as the Times.

we found a sample, and we could fiddle with it, but there's other stuff we want to try out first.

I dont think font can be copywritten, i may be wrong thou.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby benny profane on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:48 pm

gimil wrote:
benny profane wrote:

I dont think font can be copywritten, i may be wrong thou.

damn. you might be right. just found a download.
well, not it's back on the table!
Lieutenant benny profane

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas