Conquer Club

Holy Roman Empire 1648

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

No more updates

Postby grayhawke on Fri May 02, 2008 4:05 am

It seems clear that this will never be allowed to progress so I will just say thanks to everyone who has shown an interest.
Cadet grayhawke

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 - V22 Pg.1 and 8 - 24Apr08

Postby Ogrecrusher on Fri May 02, 2008 4:11 am

What what?!
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 02, 2008 10:58 am

grayhawke, don't you dare abandon this map right now. You have addressed all of the major graphical issues people had concerns about, with exception of the sea routes (just drop the ships and keep the blue dotted lines). I'm sure that if you brought this topic to gimil's attention, had all the requisite information in the first post, and released one last graphical revision for revision's sake, you'll get the stamp. This idea is further along that you would think.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Holy Roman Empire 1648 - the end

Postby grayhawke on Fri May 02, 2008 11:05 am

Ogrecrusher wrote:What what?!

Yes, after 4 months and 21 revisions I've finally lost the will to continue - not to mention the fact that my degree course in Geology and Astronomy commences this month and I'll just not have the time - not umtil 2012 anyway! ;)
Cadet grayhawke

Postby grayhawke on Fri May 02, 2008 11:13 am

TaCktiX wrote:grayhawke, don't you dare abandon this map right now. ...

When you put it like that I just don't kmow - I could always give up sleeping I suppose... :shock:
Cadet grayhawke

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 02, 2008 12:45 pm

grayhawke wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:grayhawke, don't you dare abandon this map right now. ...

When you put it like that I just don't kmow - I could always give up sleeping I suppose... :shock:

I just finished my junior year of Electrical Engineering. I've managed to have three projects going that entire time. You don't have to update daily to get a map progressed through the Foundry. My lagtime used to be 2 days, but now it's 3-4 as updates update more than they used to. I still get the same activity from people, with a near-predictable extra page to the topic per version I release. You don't need to give up sleeping or studying to get maps done. For me, mapmaking is a good break from studying, a leisure activity. Think of it that way and you should be able to find the time to get it done. ;)
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

idea?

Postby grayhawke on Sun May 04, 2008 3:16 am

TaCktiX wrote:I just finished my junior year of Electrical Engineering. ...
Thanks, your support is appreciated, but as I said above it seems clear to me that this map will not be allowed to progress. I guess it is judged not to have the required support - no amount of graphic updates will make the idea any more acceptable - and this area is supposed to be about the idea, not the graphics nor the gameplay.
Cadet grayhawke

Re: idea?

Postby fireedud on Sun May 04, 2008 9:33 am

grayhawke wrote: - and this area is supposed to be about the idea, not the graphics nor the gameplay.

Actually the requirment to pass is to have decent level graphics (doesn't look like it was made on MS paint) and basic gameplay structure that would work.

The gameplay is good enough to pass. However the graphics do look like some parts were made on Ms paint (i.e. the borders and the outlines of the mouintains). YOu might want to fix that to continue.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Heiliges Römisches Reich

Postby pamoa on Sun May 04, 2008 10:39 am

First of all i really like the idea and would be glad to play such a map. :)

But...
I must say it, your graphics are really bad and as you are speaking of the german hertiage of the roman empire you can definitly improve your map by using the german or latin name of territories. It would give a better sensation of your subject.
Maybe starting with the title in german "Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation" or latin "Sacrum Romanorum Imperium Nationis Germanicæ"
I'm not an expert in gameplay but it can be fixed.

If you don't mind I can try to make a better graphic for your map as co-autor! just a proposition, i really like the subject.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Version 23

Postby grayhawke on Mon May 05, 2008 12:31 am

changes: sea-routes updated to match legend

This is the last update I'll be posting. If anyone wishes to take over this map idea then please do; if you need anything just PM me.

Cheers
G.
Cadet grayhawke

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 - V23 Pg.1 and 9 - 05May08

Postby gimil on Mon May 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Here you go.

But let me say the graphics for this are going to need a good hard think about because it wont get quenched the way its going jsut now ;)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Unit_2 on Mon May 05, 2008 10:37 pm

Sweet, so what EXACTLY do you guys want changed besides the graphics?
Private Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby oaktown on Tue May 06, 2008 10:36 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Sweet, so what EXACTLY do you guys want changed besides the graphics?

It's going to need to look a lot more professional... the mountains and cannons look like preset stamps from KidPix.

The actual layout of the map isn't bad, and you could play up the theme/time period to make it more visually impressive.
Captain oaktown

Congrats!

Postby pamoa on Wed May 07, 2008 2:19 am

Well done :D

As i told you before if you want help some i'll be glad to give a hand.
Else look on google for 17th centry maps you will catch some graphical ideas!

Go on =D>
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby multiplayertim on Wed May 07, 2008 10:59 am

I don't think too much has to be done except for the graphics.The map is accurate and the gameplay is fairly good in my opinion, the bonuses for influences are a great idea, there was some concern about how easy it is to make it from North to South but i think this was solved by the bonuses for the bordering states being small compared to the H.R.E. states

on the graphics
the mountains are poor
the texture of the sea makes it look like land rather than water
the border in the south west between "eastern france" and "savoy" is too straight
as mentioned the cannons are also poor
i think the army shadows are too bright
the ship lines look like they were done in MSpaint
i dislike the colour of the legend, the eastern side of the bodering states
perhaps you could find a texture for the map more suitable to 1648

if i find anything else i'll post it
Winner: Tournament of the Minds
Private 1st Class multiplayertim

Postby grayhawke on Wed May 14, 2008 6:02 pm

gimil wrote: --- idea passed ---

Here you go.

gimil wrote:But let me say the graphics for this are going to need a good hard think about because it wont get quenched the way its going jsut now ;)

And let me say that it seems that I am not the person best suited to improve the graphics :(

So can I assume that Unit_2 will lead the graphics work?
I'll be happy to fade into the background but will, of course, provide any files or assistance as directed.

And thank you pamoa, your offer of help is greatly appreciated. Can I ask that you contact Unit_2 directly about any help you are able to provide?

Cheers
G.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby Unit_2 on Wed May 14, 2008 10:22 pm

Ok, here is a first update by Pamoa, comment freely because it is just a first update:

Click image to enlarge.
Private Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Shino Tenshi on Thu May 15, 2008 1:31 am

Hey all, good to see a HRE map in production :)

A few random thoughts about the current revision:

1) I like how the HRE states are all done in bright colours and the bordering states are a dimmer and similar colour

2) Perhaps it was intentional on the first new revision, but there needs to be colours in the legend to match the 'continents' with each other.

3) The cannons could probably use some toning down in size so that they don't overlap borders.

4) HRE South bonus should be 3. HRE West has two more territories to it for 4 bonus. This would also bring HRE South in line with Europe South, which has the same number of borders and territories.

5) East Europe bonus should be 2. Two borders and four territories, much like SA in Classic.

6) HRE North bonus should be 6. Seven borders and Nine territories should be 6, taking into account other bonuses on the map and the number of borders/territories they have.

7) A legend item stating that the river is impassible should be added. This probably seems obvious to most of us on here, but some of the new players may not get it without it being explicitly stated.

8) Not map related, but the topic should be changed to reflect page 10 as the latest revision.

I think that about covers what I can come up with right now. Good luck with the map and I'll be keeping an eye on it. I've recently been looking at the XML code behind maps and believe it looks pretty straight forward. Once the map gets to that point, if you guys could use an XML coder, I could give it a shot if I still have the time to do it at that point.
Captain Shino Tenshi

Postby t-o-m on Thu May 15, 2008 1:25 pm

i had a little time and im just trying to show you that you can improve something - (or in my case start from scratch) in less than 1 hour, this took me about 30mins:

p.s. the sheilds replace cannons but i didnt do all the sheilds coz i didnt think it necessary.
Major t-o-m

Postby t-o-m on Thu May 15, 2008 1:28 pm

and having to hold 15 places to win??
seriously?
no1 would do that - this map seems like ur just trying to get as many gameplay gimmicks in as possible!

get rid of the hold all=win
Major t-o-m

Postby pamoa on Fri May 16, 2008 2:32 am

That was not an update but a work in progress preview for unit_2.
All color scheme is just working stuff!
So i'm still working on it.
The purpose of this update is to improve graphics but i'll introduce gameplay suggestions!
t-o-m wrote:And having to hold 15 places to win?? Seriously? No1 would do that - this map seems like ur just trying to get as many gameplay gimmicks in as possible! Get rid of the hold all=win

That was a suggestion, if you think that the precedent version of +4 bonus is better than tell me. Btw it is not the only way to win just a another!
Ansd t-o-m if you think making a map is a 1 hour job let show us your talent! give us some map idea!
Cadet pamoa

Postby mibi on Fri May 16, 2008 7:01 am

I am going to miss those AppleIIGS graphics.
Captain mibi

Postby t-o-m on Fri May 16, 2008 10:17 am

pamoa wrote:Ansd t-o-m if you think making a map is a 1 hour job let show us your talent! give us some map idea!

when did i ever say it took 1 hour to make a map? :roll:
im just saying that it wasnt hard to improve on what you have which was a cheap blent of filters and textures and poor graphics (not that mine are much better, but still)
Major t-o-m

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 16, 2008 5:57 pm

The title should be Imperium Romanum Sacrum in Latin.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby pamoa on Sat May 17, 2008 8:41 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:The title should be Imperium Romanum Sacrum in Latin.

sorry but I just conrolled it on wiki and it says Sacrum Romanum Imperium [-X
Cadet pamoa

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas