Conquer Club

Atlantis - v43 - BETA - P32[D,Gp,Gr,FF,XML,BETA]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Atlantis v8.0 Update p9 [D]

Postby NemesisChild on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:49 pm

Premier2k wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:=D> I love the scroll. I'll take a long look at this later — very nice! Your orange "o33" are still "p33" by the by.

Yes, I love the new scroll. Great work by Nem on that! And many thanks to Gimil for suggesting a new scroll look.

Premier2k

Ok I too like the new scroll but I am a little unhappy with how the bottom of it looks as the burn effect doesn't look right with the bottom wrap of the scroll. I have done another version of the scroll that i think looks better but am not totally sure about.

Here it is:

Click image to enlarge.

I have removed the bottom scroll wrap and made it look like it has been burned off..
Opinions? better worse or makes no difference?

As for the orange 'p'.... erm SO WHAT!!!! its not how it will look in game, it makes no difference. an over sight that is more hassle to fix than its worth!
Blackadder: Awh, God, God, God. What on earth was I drinking last night? My head feels like there's a Frenchman living in it. Where am I?

Click here to discover the lost islands of Atlantis...
Cook NemesisChild

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:56 pm

Hmm, that new one makes it look like it's cloth then scroll — parchment wouldn't do anything like that. I say keep the old one, but maybe apply the same burn in a lesser bit on the right bottom corner.

As for the 'p'... erm just pointing it out! Who ever said it was a big deal?

Lookin' good, I might keep all the anchors facing down, though. I'm wondering why the green is slanted when all the others are in?

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby NemesisChild on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:01 pm

lol, never said the p was a prolem...
pointing it out 3 times though might be considered a bit odd....., only kidding

good spot on the anchor I had missed that,
Blackadder: Awh, God, God, God. What on earth was I drinking last night? My head feels like there's a Frenchman living in it. Where am I?

Cook NemesisChild

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:05 pm

NemesisChild wrote:ponting it out 3 times though might be considered a bit odd....., only kidding

:P no prob, I only pointed it out once, anyway.
I see you erased the line at the bottom on one of the v's :roll: :)

Are some of the dots on your attack routes distorted or something? It looks a bit odd … :?

EDIT: oh, and about that: I would make some of them rounded instead of 'Z' shaped, more like 'S's, if you know what I mean. Nothing unnecessarily squiggly, but just smoother.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby NemesisChild on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:10 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
NemesisChild wrote:ponting it out 3 times though might be considered a bit odd....., only kidding

:P no prob, I only pointed it out once, anyway.
I see you erased the line at the bottom on one of the v's :roll: :)

Are some of the dots on your attack routes distorted or something? It looks a bit odd … :?

The attack routes are like that by choice, it looks a bit daft when they are very uniform IMO

the.killing.44 wrote:EDIT: oh, and about that: I would make some of them rounded instead of 'Z' shaped, more like 'S's, if you know what I mean. Nothing unnecessarily squiggly, but just smoother.

The attack routes?? which ones look like 'Z's?? I can't see that, might be just me missing my own faults!

Cook NemesisChild

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:15 pm

sorry, I'm exaggerating a bit for lack of a symbol. Here:
Thule ‹—› Mu,
KK ‹—› Meropis,
Merposis ‹—› Lemuria, and
Lemuria ‹—› Vinetia
all look like they are connected by:
/
\
/
which is a bit unnatural, unlike the rest of the map which is more underwater-smooth like. I suggest something more (pretend the .'s aren't there):
(
.)
(
.)
-like, to suit the feel of the map.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Hope that helped (I did exaggerate with the sharp ones :D ).

Captain the.killing.44

Postby NemesisChild on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:29 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Image

Hope that helped (I did exaggerate with the sharp ones :D ).

yeh that helped, I think I got it...( a solution that is!)

just been reviewing Ys island, is there enough in the way of Ruins on it or do i need more, I think its ok but ...

Cook NemesisChild

Postby NemesisChild on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:42 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Hmm, that new one makes it look like it's cloth then scroll — parchment wouldn't do anything like that. I say keep the old one, but maybe apply the same burn in a lesser bit on the right bottom corner.

ok, been looking at this again, I agree, the burn didn't look right and i worked out why.. it was down to the ragged edge, I have now smoothed it out a bit. in fact I now have 2 images whisch is better

A:
Click image to enlarge.

B:
Click image to enlarge.

or stick with the one thats there?

I like A it looks more aged and worn burn looks more real.

Cook NemesisChild

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:57 pm

Alright, this is what I'd do. Keep the burn as it is, but add a bit on a different place, not all along the bottom. I'd say at the bottom right corner, a bit at the bottom, and maybe just a deep burn in the middle of the one you currently have. Just see how it looks — this is from my mind, so I don't exactly know how it'll work.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby Premier2k on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:36 am

the.killing.44 wrote:Alright, this is what I'd do. Keep the burn as it is, but add a bit on a different place, not all along the bottom. I'd say at the bottom right corner, a bit at the bottom, and maybe just a deep burn in the middle of the one you currently have. Just see how it looks — this is from my mind, so I don't exactly know how it'll work.

Yes, I'd agree with killing. Taking the whole of the bottom off is overkill, maybe just add the burn in a couple of other places?

Great job so far Nem! Keep it up!

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby NemesisChild on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:19 pm

Ok so one final attempt at a better scroll

How about this then?

Click image to enlarge.

modified the burn slightly and added a new burn to the right hand side

Nem

Cook NemesisChild

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:21 pm

Yes.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby Premier2k on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Looks great mate. I like that!

I think we have our first Version 9 addition!

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby NemesisChild on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:25 am

yeah, I like it, I have added the scroll in the image (will update some point this week) and it looks good with the text on it.

Just a quick note, is it me or is there a drop in replies at the moment?

I know I said earlier that updates would be a bit slower than normal due to personal workload but I still need advice on what the community as a whole would like to see improved, changed, burned<see scroll comments above>, remodeled or even added!, to be honest I'm running out of ideas.... and Prem is being about as helpful as a chocloate Fire-guard :shock: ...... Only kidding Prem ! :lol:

PS. if you are going to suggest changing the land terrain then please please make suggestions as to what would look better and give some practical advice on how I might do it, I am still a PS newbie and terraining is one of the areas I am struggling with, whats there is the best I could come up with initially and I know there are better ways to do this..

P.P.S. I really do like the sea effect and unless I get some really constructive critisism I am not inclined to change it ( this doesn't mean I definitely won't as i am always open to ideas, It just means I really do like that bit of the map!!!)

Nem

Cook NemesisChild

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 pm

i have one problem with the scroll. your scroll has the turns, with the stick or w/e going through it, but the stck just ends abrupttly, i would either say no stick, or make it end a little nicer
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 pm

They redid the scroll to this (which I love):

Captain the.killing.44

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:34 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:They redid the scroll to this (which I love):

i know but it still ends abruptly IMO
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby NemesisChild on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:01 am

Cheers Led Zepplin

Good spot on that , I had noticed it but have not looked in to changing it, will set that as my next task

If every one is happy with how it looks after the next version ( it should be available very soon), lets give Prem something to do and steer the discussion towards game play as much as possible

so please have a look at the game play described and suggest improvements or issues

Cheers
Nem

Cook NemesisChild

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:38 pm

NemesisChild wrote:Cheers Led Zepplin

Good spot on that , I had noticed it but have not looked in to changing it, will set that as my next task

If every one is happy with how it looks after the next version ( it should be available very soon), lets give Prem something to do and steer the discussion towards game play as much as possible

so please have a look at the game play described and suggest improvements or issues

Cheers
Nem

graciäs apart from that this map is coming along quite nicely
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby Premier2k on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks Led,

We're quite pleased with the progress of this map. We're trying to thrash out gameplay now. We don't seem to be recieving any responses about gameplay so I'm guessing it's good. We've just kept it reasonably simple.
Thanks for your comments so far!

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Re: Atlantis v9.0 Update p10 [D]

Postby Premier2k on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Version 9 is here, has new scroll!
A few other minor alterations and bug fixes included.

Click image to enlarge.

Nem, loving the scroll. Great work on that!

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Re: Atlantis v9! Update p10 [D]

Postby NemesisChild on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:57 am

Cheers Prem

I think the scroll does indeed look better now as it doesn't just abruptly end

Full list of changes I made

1,) Scroll
2.) New attack routes (again)
3.) Tweaked the Islands slightly in places ( barely noticable)
4.) I think I moved one of the boats to prevent the attack route being too close
5.). Finally got some Ys Borders I am happy with
6. Moved the territ Numbers and army circles (muahahahaha Prem) to allow for new borders and prevent overlap

What I think I need only to do to the graphics from here ( unless I get suggestions for other changes ... hint... hint... ;) )
1.) find something to fill the Bottom right corner to replace the removed compass
2.) add Mine and Prems signature Somewhere (possibly Bottom Left where it says Team Pok3r ATM)
3.) Modify the Scroll font slightly as I think it is now to Dark on the new Scroll
4. Remove the line where it says "...on the same line of sight" as we now have displayed attack routes... Don't want to cause confusion now do we

think that about covers it.
Are there any other improvements or changes that might be required,
please look over the Gameplay as that has had only a breif(ish) discussion in the previous forum,

I really want to push on with this map but with so few comments at the moment I don't know where we stand! :?

Cook NemesisChild

Postby gimil on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:21 am

Sorry to have took a while to get back to you guys.

The new scroll looks better and more natural. Unfortunatly I feel the current scroll look a little to 'cut and paste' for the time being this isn't the biggest of concerns. I know you said that your are finding it difficult to find better textures. A better place to start may be some kind of border around your play area. Right now your land goes straight into your water. If you add a nice border around your land it may/may not make your textures look a little better, if not it may help changing the texture less of a chore.

Photoshop has a whole bunch of textures to play with check some tutorials online, you never know what you might find.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby NemesisChild on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:04 pm

gimil wrote:Sorry to have took a while to get back to you guys.

No probs
We all pretend to have lives outside of CC... even if some of us don't!

gimil wrote:The new scroll looks better and more natural. Unfortunatly I feel the current scroll look a little to 'cut and paste' for the time being this isn't the biggest of concerns.

I'm confused by that statement... how can something look more natural and 'cut and paste' at the same time I may be misreading or missing sommat but... oh I don't know

gimil wrote: I know you said that your are finding it difficult to find better textures. A better place to start may be some kind of border around your play area. Right now your land goes straight into your water. If you add a nice border around your land it may/may not make your textures look a little better, if not it may help changing the texture less of a chore.

Ok the terrains...
I agree they could be better, but I like them, I spent a lot of time on them, there not just imported PS stuff ,.. they are hand crafted.. I may be biased by the way

as for borders.. this always baffles me when it's suggested atlantis is a group of Islands. Islands go straight into sea (land....sea) no continent is connected to another (by land) so i see no valid reason for drawing a "border around your play area" to identify independant areas, I think the sea is sufficient.. IMO

gimil wrote:Photoshop has a whole bunch of textures to play with check some tutorials online, you never know what you might find.

I do keep looking; and seeing as I had used PS maybe twice before starting this map I think i have learned alot and put it to good use. That said I am always happy to learn more, I have downloaded lots of brush set etc and keep an eye out for tutorials where i can.. I must admit the only terraining tutorials i have seen around terraining have been based on Height maps and when I tried that it looked appalling...

Nem.

Cook NemesisChild

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas