Conquer Club

Cairns Coral Coast [Quenched] - Loaded!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:46 pm

I think the stone ones are slightly better but you could make a mixture of wooden and stone bridges on the map and see if that works?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:05 pm

25Mar07 V20 Update - Wood and Stone Bridges

A combination of the two types of bridges...for Ruben! :D

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:04 pm

if you put both wood and stone bridges don't put them randomly. i'd suggest putting wooden bridges on the coastline and stone ones inside the land. :P
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:43 pm

Yes, thanks DiM...you confirmed what I was thinking after I posted thit..so followed through on that map but around the other way.
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:47 am

the bridges looks bad and the rivers are not the same style as the map is
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby spinwizard on Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:24 am

Wisse wrote:the bridges looks bad and the rivers are not the same style as the map is

do u do anything other than complain?
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby Samus on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:56 pm

spinwizard wrote:
Wisse wrote:the bridges looks bad and the rivers are not the same style as the map is

do u do anything other than complain?

Heh, it's not just Wisse, it's pretty much the entire foundry that is very direct about what they don't like. Haven't you ever seen when people post really bad ideas? Now THAT is brutal. :)

But it is what it is, just compare the maps now in Final Forge to half the maps currently in play like Montreal and Brazil. The system works. It's not for the overly sensitive, but a bunch of pats on the back aren't going to help you make your map better.
Major Samus

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:22 pm

26Mar V21 Update

* Removed 3D bridges, replaced with 2D cross-hatch colour varigation style

I prefer these now!

Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:26 pm

The white lines make it look like you can only cross if you're Spider-Man. Ditch those and I think you're in business. :)
Major Samus

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:01 pm

Samus wrote:The white lines make it look like you can only cross if you're Spider-Man. Ditch those and I think you're in business. :)

Agreed. I think that should solve it, although the old bridges were not bad either.

You should not have changes them just because Wisse said so. There must be more than one person complaining about them. And Wisse can be a pain in the a$$ and he knows it. :p Hehe.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Version 22 - Bridges with Sharp colour definition

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:19 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
Samus wrote:The white lines make it look like you can only cross if you're Spider-Man. Ditch those and I think you're in business. :)

Agreed. I think that should solve it, although the old bridges were not bad either.

You should not have changes them just because Wisse said so. There must be more than one person complaining about them. And Wisse can be a pain in the a$$ and he knows it. :p Hehe.

Thank you guys, however, in fairness to Wisse I think he was the catalyst for changing them. I recall someone in another thread saying how good it was that ideas are challenged for the best result in the maps.

I wasn't really happy with either the stone or wooden versions, but am very happy with these. They:
* blend with the colour of the territories
* maintain the style of the map
* are unobtrusive and don't stand out like dogs ##lls
* are subtle but can still be seen clearly.

Hope these are acceptable.

Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:09 am

These bridges are by far the best. They remind me of the ones used in the Netherlands map.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby boberz on Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 am

i was just thinking that about netherlands but there is no harm in using a similar idea if it gives best results and i do like these a lot
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:19 am

Guys...in my defense.....I had not seen the Netherlands map until after Ruben and Boberz mentioned it. But I agree, they work, and are easy on the eyes....so why not use this style.
Private cairnswk

Postby boberz on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:21 am

as i said it was good and i dint have an issue and i like it. What does the text look like without the outline i think it might tidy it up a liitle
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:25 am

boberz wrote:as i said it was good and i dint have an issue and i like it. What does the text look like without the outline i think it might tidy it up a liitle

Do you mean the Title text Boberz?
Private cairnswk

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:43 am

cairnswk wrote:Guys...in my defense.....I had not seen the Netherlands map until after Ruben and Boberz mentioned it. But I agree, they work, and are easy on the eyes....so why not use this style.

There's no need to defend yourself. Good ideas are used throughout different maps by different map makers. There's nothing wrong with using the same style. I think it works so don't change the bridges anymore.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Contrickster on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:58 am

This map has a nice relaxed feeling and detail which does not seem out of place on a map of such specific location. I prefer the crosshatch bridges because they add detail. With the colour only bridges you move to a simplistic style which is against the theme of "manageable detail" you have already set down - palm trees, many mountains, lakes etc. So go with crosshatch bridges, makes the map interesting, fits in with the detail already present.

Overall the first thing I notice is the perspective. The Swamp and The Beaches look flat while Agate Hills and Fruit Pickers look verticle. Perhaps something can be done with the river inbetween to make the effect less jarring.
Corporal 1st Class Contrickster

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:28 pm

Thanks Contrickster for your feedback!

Contrickster wrote:So go with crosshatch bridges, makes the map interesting, fits in with the detail already present.

Overall the first thing I notice is the perspective. The Swamp and The Beaches look flat while Agate Hills and Fruit Pickers look verticle. Perhaps something can be done with the river inbetween to make the effect less jarring.

Actually, after having implemented your suggestion, the cross hatch bridges ruin the effect of the bridges blending with the territories. I feel there is already enough aspects on this very compact map and cross-hatch bridges add further unnecessary aspects to concentrate on.

With regard to the perspective and your perceptions of some territories looking flat and vertical, this is simply illusion created by the natural run of the mountains, and this interaction with the coast and rivers. This IS how the mountain run in this area of the world. And the rivers also run on these routes.

This is a REAL (not imaginary) geographic map of this area in Queensland Australia. I did this map because the features of the mountains, rivers, dam, swamps, islands and tableland rises make up a set of appealing natural style barriers between regions. Fortunately, we can pass over the tableland rises and bridges which are almost in the same place as actual real bridges.
Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:01 pm

Would it be possible to do more of a gradual blend of the colors across the bridges?
Major Samus

Version23 Bridges with faded colour

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:13 pm

Samus wrote:Would it be possible to do more of a gradual blend of the colors across the bridges?

As requested. Samus.

Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:27 pm

Yeah, I like it slightly better, but I guess I don't feel very strongly about it if others prefer the non-blended version better.
Major Samus

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:09 pm

Samus wrote:Yeah, I like it slightly better, but I guess I don't feel very strongly about it if others prefer the non-blended version better.

Samus, i prefer V22 - the bridge with sharp colour definition as per page 11
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:58 am

So where to from here?????? :roll:
Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:00 am

cairnswk wrote:So where to from here?????? :roll:

Infinity.....and BEYOND!!!!!
Major Samus

PreviousNext