Conquer Club

Conquer Rome (The Fall of the Roman Empire) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Rome (The Fall of the Roman Empire) [15 Jun 2011

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:37 am

You shouldn't need the extra pixels. All map information is still clear even with the triple digits.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:27 am

TaCktiX wrote:You shouldn't need the extra pixels. All map information is still clear even with the triple digits.

I do think so.
Major Kabanellas

Postby Nola_Lifer on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Is it possible to put TI in the sea above TIII and Constan., so that there is a movement of regions and armies. I can already invision myself thing Constan is Nico. and TIII is TI on that small map.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:Is it possible to put TI in the sea above TIII and Constan.

I can.... just not sure if that's a better option.... :-s
Major Kabanellas

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:54 pm

This map is developing into another fine production

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks DJ ;)
Major Kabanellas

Postby Gillipig on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 am

First off I'd like to congratulate you on creating a beautiful map! It looks awesome! Great color scheme and graphics. Gameplay is hard to understand though! I don't think you need to change the gameplay but try to work on your legend to describe it better. Maybe the space currently filled with text describing history could be used to something more useful to the player!? I don't think it's obvious that there is no normal territory bonuses and a text clarifying that would be very useful! I also have a problem understanding some of the latin terms that may be correct but not obvious what they actually mean. Like "diocesis" and "praetor". And finally and most importantly after looking at your map for 20 minutes I still don't get the bonus system! I know it's supposed to be a complicated map but I'm not a stranger to complicated maps and I don't get much of it.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Nola_Lifer on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:50 am

Gillipig wrote:First off I'd like to congratulate you on creating a beautiful map! It looks awesome! Great color scheme and graphics. Gameplay is hard to understand though! I don't think you need to change the gameplay but try to work on your legend to describe it better. Maybe the space currently filled with text describing history could be used to something more useful to the player!? I don't think it's obvious that there is no normal territory bonuses and a text clarifying that would be very useful! I also have a problem understanding some of the latin terms that may be correct but not obvious what they actually mean. Like "diocesis" and "praetor". And finally and most importantly after looking at your map for 20 minutes I still don't get the bonus system! I know it's supposed to be a complicated map but I'm not a stranger to complicated maps and I don't get much of it.

I think, once you are able to actually play this map, the legend will be much clearer. Kab has done a good job with cleaning up the legend a lot. As far as one not knowing some lating terms, well, do a search for it through a search engine and I am sure you will find an answer. :D I don't think the map maker need to have a dictionary attached to the map when one can do their own research.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:57 am

Looks like things are more or less in order, so let's get the last little graphical nitpicks handled, neh?

Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:25 am

Thanks A lot!!! :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby Augustus Maximus on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:29 pm

I am looking forward to playing the Beta of this map.
Private 1st Class Augustus Maximus

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Augustus Maximus wrote:I am looking forward to playing the Beta of this map.

this one goes along with your moniker, that's for sure :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby Gillipig on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:15 am

Okay, so I think I've understood the bonus system of the map! But aren't there too many auto deploy bonuses? Barbarian Tribe, Barbarian Outpost, Vicarious Seat and Legions all have auto deploy bonuses. Auto deploy bonuses are a fun aspect but when it gets too crowded with them they sort of lose their meaning which is too give extra purpose and protection to certain territs on a map. Imagine a 1vs1 game with adjacent reinforcement on this map :shock: ! It wouldn't play out very well because it would take ages to get it over with!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Well, King's Court is mostly based on auto-deploy bonus. Which definitely isn't the case here...
Major Kabanellas

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Small nitpick: the sea colour... going from left to right, you have a gradient that goes from light, almost grey to a dark cyan, which is nice otherwise but the colour seems very similar in hue as the bonus areas there (Aegyptus, Pontica, Oriens). Could you adjust the hue of the sea, on the right side, just a bit more towards blue?

It's not something that hurts the clarity of the map, rather, just an aesthetic preference I guess... I like when there's a good contrast between land and sea. You have a really good contrast on the west side, where the sea is very light... and if the east side was alone, it probably wouldn't bother me, but when the contrast on the west side is so high it makes the right side's contrast seem smaller in comparison... if you know what I mean.

Also.. I still think Africa and Italia Sub. could be made a bit more distinct in colour... you could perhaps make Italia S. a bit lighter, and less saturated? The colour looks really bright to me... to be honest, maybe a bit too bright.

One more thing. On the large map, the texture on the right side of the lower legend is making the text blur somewhat. I know it's not an essential piece of text but maybe you could make the text a bit darker, to make it easier to read?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Gillipig on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm

Kabanellas wrote:Well, King's Court is mostly based on auto-deploy bonus. Which definitely isn't the case here...

And I just finished a 1vs1 game with chained reinforcements that took AGES on that map! I don't see why you would rather force deploy the majority of a players bonus than let him chose where to put it!? Why should legions for example have a auto deploy bonus? I've made my case for why I think it shouldn't but I've yet to hear why you want it to be so many auto deploy bonuses!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:41 pm

I think this map has the exact amount of auto-deployable bonus that I think it should, for the game-play to work the way I want it to work.

I gave you the example of King's Court just to state that auto-deployable (a-d) bonus are not a problem. You might not like to play it, but conceptually, I made it so it works based on a-d bonus. And honestly i think it works pretty well. But again, that is not the case here. The LARGE majority of these bonus will came from government and regions association.
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Naty, I've darkened the text a bit:

Click image to enlarge.

as for the Italia sub. Red, I tried it to darken it a bit, but then it started looking like Italia Annonnaria (and that I can't make it darker). I honestly think its working good the way it is...

As for the water, I'm working with 2 layers here, to give a cool feeling of depth with an undefined color spectrum.

first layer:

Second layer as we have now:

Second layer with more blue (and less green)
Last edited by Kabanellas on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:52 pm

I suppose I could still add a bit more glow to the text, to make it more distinct
Major Kabanellas

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Kabanellas wrote:Second layer with more blue (and less green)

Yes, that's perfect.

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Still not sold. My preference goes for the sea with green tones, than the blue one.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Major Kabanellas

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Meh, it's your map. I do think the blue one is better, and has better land-sea contrast.

Anyway... if you necessarily want it green-ish... how about reversing the gradient, so the sea is lighter on the east side? Not sure if it'll work, but might be worth a shot...

Postby Gillipig on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:06 am

Kabanellas wrote:I think this map has the exact amount of auto-deployable bonus that I think it should, for the game-play to work the way I want it to work.

I gave you the example of King's Court just to state that auto-deployable (a-d) bonus are not a problem. You might not like to play it, but conceptually, I made it so it works based on a-d bonus. And honestly i think it works pretty well. But again, that is not the case here. The LARGE majority of these bonus will came from government and regions association.

At best it will be 50% auto deploy and 50% regular deployment! I know I don't like maps with too much auto deploy so I'm expressing my concern that this map will go down that road. Auto deploy works fine if you're not over using it (King Court is over using auto deployment!!!). The AoR maps are great, the Feudal's, New world etc. They all have auto deploy on their starting positions but nowhere else. In my mind autodeploy works nicely if you have them on starting pos. or on places you have to take. You're doing both and that is in my mind over using the autodeployment feature and will interrupt the flow of the game! Again this is just my opinion but I think you're going to scare away a lot of people with that much auto deployment! I like the map both visually and gameplay wise but the auto deploy is too heavy for my taste!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Nola_Lifer on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22 am

Where are we at with this one?
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:16 pm

nitpicking Graphics, though we've already done much of that from early on here...
Major Kabanellas

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas