Conquer Club

Battle For Australia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Samus on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:18 pm

cairnswk wrote:Ah yes, onbekende, but the link helps with fortifications around the entire "continent". Without it, you cut off the ability to move armies between the east and west flank.

Yeah, I agree with this. Also, it's an important attack route between the ends of the map which are otherwise cut off from each other. It's always frustrating when another player claims a bonus and you don't have an attack route within 3 steps of it.
Major Samus

Postby cairnswk on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:27 pm

Samus wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Ah yes, onbekende, but the link helps with fortifications around the entire "continent". Without it, you cut off the ability to move armies between the east and west flank.

Yeah, I agree with this. Also, it's an important attack route between the ends of the map which are otherwise cut off from each other. It's always frustrating when another player claims a bonus and you don't have an attack route within 3 steps of it.

I feel frustrated when i can't attack next door LOL! thanks Samus.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:33 am

okay, I see your point

now if other people would speak, we can get this final forged in a jiff
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby Skittles! on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:15 am

The connection between Truk and Ternati is whiter than the others.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:06 am

Skittles! wrote:The connection between Truk and Ternati is whiter than the others.

Skittles, thanks for that observation, but infact the lines was the same colour as others. The line that was actually whiter was the curved between IJN Shoho and Shokoku.
The line between Ternati and Truk was showing as whiter because it was completely horizontal and had no pixelation happening on it, so I have solved that issue by making it a slight non-horizontal. (next version)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:49 pm

Andy, there's a war map happening right here. Any comments?

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:24 am

Any ffedback on this map...poll finishes shortly?
Private cairnswk

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:18 am

East Indies colour doesn't really suit the rest of the map. Perhaps Solomons as well. I don't have time for a detailed look at the moment, but those colours are the thing that stands out for me.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:27 am

KEYOGI wrote:6 Apr - The colours of the map are generally good, I find them to be a nice tone/shade and very easy on the eye. However, I feel the Dutch East Indies, Imperial Japan and Solomons colours are just a little too bright. They seem to stand out over the rest of the continent colours, so if they were just dulled slightly it may improve the consistency of the colours between all the continents.

The colours were dulled on P7 map 8 Apr.
KEYOGI wrote:29 Apr - East Indies colour doesn't really suit the rest of the map. Perhaps Solomons as well. I don't have time for a detailed look at the moment, but those colours are the thing that stands out for me.

OK...that is a very broad statement, and considering your previous post on the colours which u appeared to have liked back then....could you offer something as to what colour/s might suit the map or what colours you would like to see there....and then i will do a map and a poll.
Private cairnswk

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:49 am

cairnswk wrote:The colours were dulled on P7 map 8 Apr.

cairnswk wrote:OK...that is a very broad statement, and considering your previous post on the colours which u appeared to have liked back then....could you offer something as to what colour/s might suit the map or what colours you would like to see there....and then i will do a map and a poll.

I don't recall posting on any of the previous pages since that update. Sorry it's been such a long time between drinks. I think it's more the shade of the colour though, rather than the brigtness as I previously assumed. The rest of the colours on the map are softer and perhaps more pastel like.

I'm still not convinced on the title and legend, is there a theme you're aiming for here? It's clear and it's functional, so it's not something that needs to be changed.

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:07 am

KEYOGI wrote:
cairnswk wrote:The colours were dulled on P7 map 8 Apr.

cairnswk wrote:OK...that is a very broad statement, and considering your previous post on the colours which u appeared to have liked back then....could you offer something as to what colour/s might suit the map or what colours you would like to see there....and then i will do a map and a poll.

I don't recall posting on any of the previous pages since that update. Sorry it's been such a long time between drinks. I think it's more the shade of the colour though, rather than the brigtness as I previously assumed. The rest of the colours on the map are softer and perhaps more pastel like.

OK..I'll see about more pastels colours...do you want me to do a poll?

I'm still not convinced on the title and legend, is there a theme you're aiming for here? It's clear and it's functional, so it's not something that needs to be changed.
yes i was trying to give it a game board appearance (hence its raise edges) and I kind of like the clarity you stated because it provides good contrast with the actual map, which is kind of busy with all those lines. The planes and the aircraft carriers were all involved in this battle, I would have liked to use soldiers, but they don't hold names horizontally, unless they're lying down DEAD! :(
Private cairnswk

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:19 am

cairnswk wrote:OK..I'll see about more pastels colours...do you want me to do a poll?

I don't think a poll is necessary.

cairnswk wrote:yes i was trying to give it a game board appearance (hence its raise edges) and I kind of like the clarity you stated because it provides good contrast with the actual map, which is kind of busy with all those lines. The planes and the aircraft carriers were all involved in this battle, I would have liked to use soldiers, but they don't hold names horizontally, unless they're lying down DEAD! :(

Well, I think it's quite fitting then. 8)

V22 Pastel colours for East Indies and Solomons

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:33 am

Pastel colour change...are these kewl Keyogi?

Private cairnswk

Re: V22 Pastel colours for East Indies and Solomons

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:38 am

cairnswk wrote:Pastel colour change...are these kewl Keyogi?

Yes, looks good to me.

Postby onbekende on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:53 am

< sees nothing wrong
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Vote please

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 01, 2007 1:04 pm

Voting for interest closes in the next day or so. everyone.
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Tue May 01, 2007 3:06 pm

mayby a texture?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 01, 2007 3:20 pm

Wisse wrote:mayby a texture?

More info please Wisse :wink: :)
Private cairnswk

Postby mibi on Tue May 01, 2007 4:21 pm

i think you have more than enough votes to continue.
Captain mibi

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue May 01, 2007 6:36 pm

I agree with Mibi here. ;) This has definitely got the workings of a fine battle map, and long has. :)

As for specifics...Hm...I'll start from the bottom of the map and work up!

Lets take a look at the legend. Of course, the use of the airplanes and ships are unique continent distinguishers...I like them. I'd be nice if we could pretty up the font on each, but I don't think there is ample room to do that. As for the flags, I like the idea, but perhaps not those graphics you have. Right now, you've got a very hand drawn effect on the map...take a look at the plane and ship icons, along with how the continent looks. The real graphic images of the flags seem to stick out a little. So perhaps if you found a graphic that reflected that some how, it could mesh it all a little more. Or you could also create your own flag files from scratch too!

The battleship (I think it is, isn't it? :)) looks a little odd. I think it may be suffering from what the flags are, or something similar. Maybe look into a different style of image or perhaps simply playing with the color and hue and such.

As for the sea, it is different, I'll give you that. I like the color, or something similar to it, but the current ripples I'm not sure about. But I'm not exactly sure what other textures you have that would look better!

The font for country names could be improved. Maybe with a touch of boldness? Or perhaps a slightly different font. I do like the current font, because it is easily read, but I think it could stand out a little more. And maybe be a little more eye appealing. :)

Hm, I hope to look a little closer at the gameplay soon...!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Wisse on Wed May 02, 2007 4:23 am

cairnswk wrote:

a texture in the playable land, it looks now a bit boring
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 02, 2007 4:31 am

Wisse wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Thanks Wisse for your comment, but apart from being boring, is there any other reason why you want a texture on the land?
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Wed May 02, 2007 4:44 am

cairnswk wrote:
Wisse wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Thanks Wisse for your comment, but apart from being boring, is there any other reason why you want a texture on the land?

ehh because it looks better then? :P
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 02, 2007 4:56 am

Wisse wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
Wisse wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

do u think if a texture is put into the land, it will matter when most of the land is so small it won't be seen on the islands in particular, and on some of the larger territories it may interfere with amy shadows and perhaps the text?

As explained, to Keyogi, I have deliberately designed this map to be simple like a board game, because the territories are in many cases so small, colour is perhaps the only thing needed to differentiate between territories. The map is very full of lines and shapes and putting texture on the lilttle land there is could cause choas. If you check between PP2 & 5 some textures were tried on previous versions and now it seems poeple are much happier because of the simplicity of the design.

If it is really an issue for you, i will ask through a poll as soon as the current poll finishes.
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Wed May 02, 2007 5:02 am

cairnswk wrote:
Wisse wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
Wisse wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

do u think if a texture is put into the land, it will matter when most of the land is so small it won't be seen on the islands in particular, and on some of the larger territories it may interfere with amy shadows and perhaps the text?

As explained, to Keyogi, I have deliberately designed this map to be simple like a board game, because the territories are in many cases so small, colour is perhaps the only thing needed to differentiate between territories. The map is very full of lines and shapes and putting texture on the lilttle land there is could cause choas. If you check between PP2 & 5 some textures were tried on previous versions and now it seems poeple are much happier because of the simplicity of the design.

If it is really an issue for you, i will ask through a poll as soon as the current poll finishes.

just use a texture like in my china map the unplayable land ;) you will see that and it wom't interfere with text and army shades, you can also make it more transparant
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas