Conquer Club

Classic cities: London [19.2.12] p27

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: London [7.9.11]

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:28 pm

natty_dread wrote:If you can't see the latest update on the last page, then it's on the first page. Why should you want to dig through the thread for an arbitrary page number when you can just as easily click page 1?

Add the page natty...how much hard or long could be do that? :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:45 pm

MrBenn wrote:
natty_dread wrote:If you can't see the latest update on the last page, then it's on the first page. Why should you want to dig through the thread for an arbitrary page number when you can just as easily click page 1?

Stop being an ass.

For what it's worth, I think a map of London deserves something better than the standard natty treatment, and would (as others have done) encourage you to raise your game.

While you might think so, I bet you are in the minority.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby natty dread on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:25 am

gimil wrote:Because if I have the page number of the last update then I can ready a thread from that update onward so I an follow the latest development. Sure I can look at page 1 and still leave feedback, but what if what I suggest something that has already seem suggested? or someone brings up an issue that I can give an opinion about?

I wouldn't ask for page numbers if they weren't necessary to help me keep track of the map maps that are in the foundry. They are useful and have been embedded in the foundry for years.

Look, I'm not trying to be difficult here. Just that my last 2 maps went through the foundry with no problems without any page numbers. The thing is, I usually make so many updates that I usually have at least one update on every page... which makes the page number on the title nothing but a de-facto thread page counter.

But whatever, there's a page number in the title now.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: London [7.9.11] *** PAGE 9 ***

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:37 am

Illustrating that in this case, it's 2 pages ago. See, while 90% of the time it might be the last page, sometimes comments outstrip your ability to update. The page number is to definitely know where to go to see both the latest version, and any discussion since that version has been posted. It's been standard practice, if not policy, for the entire time I've been in the Foundry (going on 3 years).

As for Bruceswar's comment, the minority so far seems to be a bunch of people with established reputations, so I'd say it's a strong one even if there are a bunch of other supporters.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Telvannia on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Just my thoughts but i always felt when london was ever done it would be really good done in the sort of style of a cartoon map, sort of thing you get on postcards... See the picture below for what i mean. (sorry about quality done with my phone from the front of a jigsaw).

Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Telvannia wrote:Just my thoughts but i always felt when london was ever done it would be really good done in the sort of style of a cartoon map, sort of thing you get on postcards... See the picture below for what i mean. (sorry about quality done with my phone from the front of a jigsaw).

I like the guy diving off land's end. Thumbs up.

I'm not sure I'd go that way with this map, but I think this map can go somewhere pretty cool from where it is.

Best of luck natty_dread, trying to please yourself and a number of others!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby firsal901 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:18 am

Looks good. graphics are fine and gameplay seems good too. Tiny tweak - make the Southwest bonus 5. Reasons - 1. lots of border territories. 2. kinda big, with 6 territories.

PS : love the big ben in the background
Cook firsal901

Re: London [30.8.11]

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Here's what I proposed earlier, Elmo:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
  • Southwest: +3 or +4
      4 borders, but Lambeth does bring it down to 3. With no real great expansion opportunities (aside from Lambeth), I could see this going either way.

A good rule of thumb in my book is # of border territories = bonus. Obviously there are many other things to consider, but it's a good starting point.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby firsal901 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Yeah. Now that I have thought of it more, I think it should stay the same, since if you take Lambeth, the borders are reduced to 3, making Lambeth a key spot if you want to take hold of the Southwest. That element should make for some interesting games ( and diplomacy) !!
Cook firsal901

Postby natty dread on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:19 am

I think Southwest bonus is good as is. 5 would seem a bit excessive.

Postby firsal901 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:15 pm

natty_dread wrote:I think Southwest bonus is good as is. 5 would seem a bit excessive.

Agreed
Cook firsal901

Postby natty dread on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:31 am

Any other gameplay concerns here?

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:29 am

Oh, there have actually been updates? I really couldn't tell due to them not being posted to the tail end of the thread, the topic title changing, or for that matter any notation of latest update date in the first post.

Postby natty dread on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:17 am

TaCktiX wrote:Oh, there have actually been updates? I really couldn't tell due to them not being posted to the tail end of the thread, the topic title changing, or for that matter any notation of latest update date in the first post.

This is what we get from the cartos these days?

:roll:

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:01 pm

natty_dread wrote:Any other gameplay concerns here?

So you're just ignoring the discussion that has taken place over the past couple of pages?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:53 pm

Natty, I like the style you've adopted for this map. However, without the title of 'London', the background and the region names, it really wouldn't look like a major city. Remember that it's one of the most overcrowded, depressing, expensive and dirty cities of modern times, and consider having your image reflect that a little...without causing widespread upset among people who happen to play this map.

And as for gameplay, I think the bonuses are all okay as they are. Perhaps City could be an autodeploy, and you could adjust the region number bonus to spice things up, but it's alright as it is.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:25 pm

It's what you get from a carto who was convinced that there was zero updating going on the map and thus he couldn't make any further comments until there was...then sees an "any more comments" post. I literally had no way to tell that you were updating at all, barring checking the first post every day to see if it changed a little (and looking at the current one...it hasn't changed very much).

Postby natty dread on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:31 pm

ManBungalow wrote:Natty, I like the style you've adopted for this map. However, without the title of 'London', the background and the region names, it really wouldn't look like a major city. Remember that it's one of the most overcrowded, depressing, expensive and dirty cities of modern times,

Yes, indeed... most cities are pretty depressing (except Helsinki, we have blueberries here) but then again, do people really want to play a depressing map?

So I'm trying to strike a balance between representing the urban culture of the place, and not making the map totally downer for the players.

TaCktiX wrote:It's what you get from a carto who was convinced that there was zero updating going on the map and thus he couldn't make any further comments until there was...then sees an "any more comments" post. I literally had no way to tell that you were updating at all, barring checking the first post every day to see if it changed a little (and looking at the current one...it hasn't changed very much).

Why would I need to make updates to get the right to ask if anyone has any further gameplay input? Please explain.

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:22 am

Because I've seen feedback by other people, feedback to which you have agreed. However, I never saw an update to accompany that feedback. Ergo, my confusion when you said "anything else?"

Postby natty dread on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:37 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Because I've seen feedback by other people, feedback to which you have agreed. However, I never saw an update to accompany that feedback. Ergo, my confusion when you said "anything else?"

Which feedback is that? Refresh my memory. I haven't had much time to work on things lately.

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:00 am

Excuse me while I bite my tongue on this one. Misinterpreted a comment as being a bonus value change when it was actually an agreement on the present value. I'll ask MarshalNey about the gameplay.

Postby Gillipig on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:58 am

Instead of having the city white maybe you could colour it as the British flag or something? Or London's coat of arms? Something to make it stand out a little.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 am

It will have something: army numbers.

Postby natty dread on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:50 am

TaCktiX wrote:Excuse me while I bite my tongue on this one. Misinterpreted a comment as being a bonus value change when it was actually an agreement on the present value. I'll ask MarshalNey about the gameplay.

*cough* *cough*

ahem

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:40 pm

natty_dread wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:Excuse me while I bite my tongue on this one. Misinterpreted a comment as being a bonus value change when it was actually an agreement on the present value. I'll ask MarshalNey about the gameplay.

*cough* *cough*

ahem

*cough* MarshalNey *cough*

ahem

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas