Conquer Club

New York City [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby benny profane on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:44 pm

InkL0sed wrote:You know what, the next time I see graffiti saying "so-and-so was here," I'll take a picture of it. Just to prove my point, if nothing else.

Can't wait for the next update! :)

hahaha, if you do, you should post it here.
the "wuz" is really just a humorous throwback.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby FreeMan10 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:15 am

InkL0sed wrote:You know what, the next time I see graffiti saying "so-and-so was here," I'll take a picture of it. Just to prove my point, if nothing else.

Can't wait for the next update! :)

I don't doubt you, 'wuz' just seems right here...
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby Sir. Ricco on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:51 am

I think it is really looking good. Keep up the good work. :D
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:25 pm

I can't read Spanish :|
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Queen Zaius on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:55 pm

so it IS DUMBO! :lol:
Corporal Queen Zaius

Postby snapdoodle on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:10 pm

small - v10

Hello!

Back from being married and down to brass tacks.

Done list:

-Statue of Liberty Army Circle
-added line in legend about station bonus
-adjusted bonuses
-adjusted Pelham and Pelham station circles
-added connection btw ellis and Gov isles
-shifted and sharpened continent name drop shadows
-changed display of staten island bonus to better highlight

To do:
-redo graffiti, probably in the same style because of space and because it's funny. we're not going for Graf Star, but rather two douche bags with a can of spray paint. (read: us)
-listen to more suggestions unless we're ready for Final Forge? (maybe?)

We're going to try and print and play to see how the bonuses work out but we've got to schedule some time for it. And that might be tough. Anyone else is welcome to try as well. That would be AWESOME and a big help.

Let us know what you think!

-snap and benny
Captain snapdoodle

Postby edbeard on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 pm

it's looking good, but honestly I expected there to be graphics done for other areas of the map. What I mean is that you've put detail into the parks areas and with the statue of liberty 'army circle' but the rest of the map is just plain.

it's not bad by any means, but I had thought you were going to be putting detail into other areas. maybe it'd be too messy since the map is already a little cluttered. But, maybe something subtle.

just a thought.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:24 pm

All I know is I want to play this immediately.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 pm

edbeard wrote:it's looking good, but honestly I expected there to be graphics done for other areas of the map. What I mean is that you've put detail into the parks areas and with the statue of liberty 'army circle' but the rest of the map is just plain.

it's not bad by any means, but I had thought you were going to be putting detail into other areas. maybe it'd be too messy since the map is already a little cluttered. But, maybe something subtle.

just a thought.

I kinda agree.
I vote take off the statue of liberty. It's almost too detailed for the rest of the image. The park stuff doesn't seem to bother me as much, tho. Anyway, the World 2.1-ish style looks really good with this map.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby snapdoodle on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:22 am

pepperonibread wrote:I kinda agree.
I vote take off the statue of liberty. It's almost too detailed for the rest of the image.

lol, my wife took one look at the map when i got home and this is exactly what she said.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby benny profane on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:29 am

is that the first time you've gotten to say "my wife"?
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby benny profane on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:37 am

edbeard wrote:it's looking good, but honestly I expected there to be graphics done for other areas of the map. What I mean is that you've put detail into the parks areas and with the statue of liberty 'army circle' but the rest of the map is just plain.

just a thought.

thanks edbeard. it is kind of a pickle. there are some parts of the map that would benefit from more detail. but there are other parts, like sections of manhattan and brooklyn, that could be ruined by it.
we're not totally sure what to do about it.
what we based the map on is the actual nyc subway map (posted on pg 8 of this thread) and on 2.1, which pepperonibread picked up on.
we want it to be as uncluttered as possible...
i thought of putting in VERY faint outlines of major streets, but just imagining it makes it seem like a mess.
and there's not much we can do topographically.
other than that, i'm out of ideas....
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby snapdoodle on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:11 am

just a thought.

I'm not sure if we're adding texture or detail to other areas because the map, especially because of the train lines and the geography, is already cluttered.

But you're right about the contrast in style elements between the statue of liberty and the rest of the map. I'm not sure about the parks though. Does any one else think so?
Captain snapdoodle

Postby snapdoodle on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:12 am

benny profane wrote:is that the first time you've gotten to say "my wife"?

Not to be off topic, but NO.

8)
Captain snapdoodle

Postby rustlemania on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:13 am

i disagree with pepperoni and edbeard.
No more detail needed... it's a nyc subway map, it's already above and beyond.
The statue of liberty should remain... it's innovative and and hilarious.
this looks great to me, as is. but of course this is just my opinion (read: law)
Major rustlemania

Postby rustlemania on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:17 am

i still vote for some upside down v's in the water.
you know? waves?
Major rustlemania

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:33 am

I like the look of this map... It's nice and crisp and clean.

Perhaps the water could be made to look a bit more like water (ie, blue-ish)...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby FreeMan10 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:14 pm

Snap/Benny -

I gotta be honest with ya. I'm the one who suggested the Statue of Liberty, but now that I see it, I'm not feeling it. I like the idea, but some how the execution didn't work out how I envisioned it. I can't tell you what's wrong, though, so I know that doesn't help you any. If others more experienced say it looks good, I'm good to go, but maybe someone else might be better able to put it in words.

Also, the Staten Island legend stands out now, maybe too much? My guess is you made the text SI yellow, and it just disappeared into the NJ yellow background? Could the color of NJ (and all non-playable areas) be changed some? Would it be possible to do a similar treatment to the other full continent names? I went back and looked at the previous version on pg 11, and it didn't seem so bad. That may be because I was really focused on seeing it.

I feel bad for making the suggestions then retracting them. I hope you don't take it wrong. Again, they don't seem quite the way I envisioned them, but I can't put it into words.

Gah!!!!! I really want to be able to express it, but the words just aren't coming. Sorry...

FreeMan10
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby FreeMan10 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:24 pm

OK, the Statues' really growing on me, it's just the Staten Island legend text.
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:53 pm

no water?? i still think it would look better with it. the mini statue of liberty is better than i expected, but its kinda underwhelming. but if no one else thinks that, FINAL FORGE!
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Iron Butterfly on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Good job on Map! I live in Inwood.

Take the A Train to Riverdale?*grin* I can live with that.

You should give a neg bonus to grouchy train station booth clercs.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby Queen Zaius on Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:52 pm

just a thought.

i agree. if the rivers were actually water-textured or water-colored, it would definitely give a more 'NYC subway map' feel.

as far as lady liberty is concerned, it's a cute idea, but making it the same color as an army space with a different shape is a litte confusing... maybe if she was embedded into the background much like a park space with a 'liberty color' with an army space above it, would avoid the confusion? if that's too much, maybe give her a bonus all her own since her space is dramatically different than the rest...

she's a good size tho. i like how she creeps into the map key.

other than that, it looks fantastic!
Corporal Queen Zaius

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm kind of fond of that Statue of Liberty. And I still like the water best this way. I don't know if many of you know just how dirty NYC is. When I wash my hands after coming home, the water literally gets black from grime and other filth.

More to the point... NYC water is definitely not blue.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby rustlemania on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:40 pm

I agree with ink..
The dirty water is key. I also like the statue, i think once people see the army numbers on her, all confusion will be gone.

About the legend... i really feel that Staten Island text should go back to being just black. it looks better if the legend is consistent. i actually think it's more confusing now that it's different. but i do like the color of NJ, i think it goes well with the rest of the map, so i would hate to see that changed.
Maybe if you put Staten Island text back to black, but move it up in the list, it will be less confusing. Also, when you read the legend and then look at the staten island terts, you realize that the 2 is the number of bonus armies... it just makes sense.
I'm gradually learning how to make constructive posts!
Major rustlemania

Postby Guiscard on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:53 pm

I like it a lot. Graphics wise, I'm perhaps not so keen on the statue of liberty, and I think lightening the darker background colour would help lighten the map up a little in general. I think it's making the map a little dingy. I think finding a different colour for Staten Island might also be an idea, because it seems like it is part of the group including Brooklyn at the minute. Finally, maybe the shadows behind the continent labels would make it look neater. As nothing other than the title graphic are currently shadowed (i.e. not the legend or any other text) it looks a bit out of place.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas