Conquer Club

Prohibition Chicago [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:54 pm

oaktown wrote:Alright, I can't really see anything major that needs to be changed in the gameplay department. I know you've said it elsewhere, but it couldn't hurt to add "roads" under the inpassables legend.

OK will do.

racketeers bonus seems a bit too high... +2 maybe?

Mmmm. hard to justifiy this when there is only three terts in that continent and they are all defending.

And I'd say whoever nabs the boats has a quick advantage in this one, because it'll be the only region that can't be hit via guns. What do people say about making it a +1?

No, they have two terts to defend, i think two is justified.

The 'hold any four' public utilities - does that include City Hall?

Yes, since public utilities includes City Hall, doesn't the map say that. One would draw a logical conclusion from that, even though i know some people doin't think logically or read the insutructions on the map. :wink:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:31 pm

cairnswk wrote:
oaktown wrote:The 'hold any four' public utilities - does that include City Hall?

Yes, since public utilities includes City Hall, doesn't the map say that. One would draw a logical conclusion from that, even though i know some people doin't think logically or read the insutructions on the map. :wink:

Actually, no, it doesn't say that. I assumed it was the opposite. The legend says that utilities can each other including attack city hall, which could be read to mean that they can attack city hall, but not that it counts as part of the bonus.

From the legend it looks as if a utility has the little boxes next to it, so you'd need four terits with the little utility boxes to make up the bonus. City Hall doesn't have that, nor does Tax Dept, which I also assume isn't a utility.

Damn it, Cairnswk, why do you insist on making maps that require so much thinking?? :wink:
Captain oaktown

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:05 pm

To keep you on your toes oaktown :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:11 pm

oaktown wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
oaktown wrote:The 'hold any four' public utilities - does that include City Hall?

Actually, no, it doesn't say that. I assumed it was the opposite. The legend says that utilities can each other including attack city hall, which could be read to mean that they can attack city hall, but not that it counts as part of the bonus.

From the legend it looks as if a utility has the little boxes next to it, so you'd need four terits with the little utility boxes to make up the bonus. City Hall doesn't have that, nor does Tax Dept, which I also assume isn't a utility.

Damn it, Cairnswk, why do you insist on making maps that require so much thinking?? :wink:

Damn it Oaktown, why is everyone not on "my level"...because the way everything has to be spelt out all the time really annoys me! And I don't always work on LCD principle
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:17 pm

cairnswk wrote:
oaktown wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Damn it Oaktown, why is everyone not on "my level"...because the way everything has to be spelt out all the time really annoys me! And I don't always work on LCD principle

People come to the site for enjpyment of the game. Some may find that they dont want to be on "your level" by having to overly think before they can enjoy a game on your map. But thats only some, remeber there are also people who do enjoy your maps and go that extra mile to play them :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:18 pm

cairnswk wrote:
oaktown wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

the city hall is an utility. just look at the colour of the terit. same grey as the other utilities. seems simple to me.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:20 pm

DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
oaktown wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

the city hall is an utility. just look at the colour of the terit. same grey as the other utilities. seems simple to me.

6 territories with that color scheme, and only 4 utilities :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:24 pm

gimil wrote:
People come to the site for enjpyment of the game. Some may find that they dont want to be on "your level" by having to overly think before they can enjoy a game on your map. But thats only some, remeber there are also people who do enjoy your maps and go that extra mile to play them :)

Oh Gimil...i'm well aware of that...i'm just pissed that Oaktown picked up on that and I didn't!!! :oops:

Anyway. i hope this recitifies that situation in version 16 below.

Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:28 pm

Can i get large ans small please?

See if we can get 2 birds with one stone tonight :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:37 pm

gimil wrote:Can i get large ans small please?

See if we can get 2 birds with one stone tonight :)

Gimil..that'd be wonderful...i guess you know that's what i've been subtley pushing for...I'm very diplomatic, ain't I??? :)

Anyway, large and small below in version 16. There is an anomoly on the street footpaths being that grey area, which i have to fix once this is plsit into two maps. The army shadows also have tob e re-sized as you know.

Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Its all nitpicky stuff which ill get to on a quiter day, in case you havent noticed the foudry is on fire tonight keeping me on my toes :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:48 pm

gimil wrote:Its all nitpicky stuff which ill get to on a quiter day, in case you havent noticed the foudry is on fire tonight keeping me on my toes :)

Yes i see that...DiM & I both put up another map, and everyone is lagging from do nothing much all week :wink: rush to get things done...hehehehe!
Appreciative as always!
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:11 pm

Its jsut much easier to follow discussion as it happens, it make the foundry more enjoyable to me :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:30 pm

gimil wrote:Its jsut much easier to follow discussion as it happens, it make the foundry more enjoyable to me :)

Yes i used to like that also.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:11 am

any further comments?
Private cairnswk

Postby Incandenza on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:02 am

I still feel like the gangster's face could be better.... it's almost like you've split the difference between semi-realism and cartoon: too much detail for a cartoon, too unfinished for semi-realism. The overall effect is kinda creepy.

Perhaps there's an advertising icon or a comic book image from the period that you could adapt.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:29 am

Incandenza wrote:I still feel like the gangster's face could be better.... it's almost like you've split the difference between semi-realism and cartoon: too much detail for a cartoon, too unfinished for semi-realism. The overall effect is kinda creepy.

Perhaps there's an advertising icon or a comic book image from the period that you could adapt.

Incandenza...i have update the image above Version 16 and placed the face more straight on. I hope this goes heaps of way to satisying...?! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Skittles! on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:31 am

I noticed something.

You have "Goal" instead of "Gaol" on the legend
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:43 am

Skittles! wrote:I noticed something.

You have "Goal" instead of "Gaol" on the legend

I did 2, and also on the map...thanks Skittles. :)

Private cairnswk

Postby Incandenza on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:02 am

cairnswk wrote:
Incandenza wrote:I still feel like the gangster's face could be better.... it's almost like you've split the difference between semi-realism and cartoon: too much detail for a cartoon, too unfinished for semi-realism. The overall effect is kinda creepy.

Incandenza...i have update the image above Version 16 and placed the face more straight on. I hope this goes heaps of way to satisying...?! :)

Yeah, I can totally live with that. Nicely done.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:03 am

Incandenza wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Yeah, I can totally live with that. Nicely done.

Yes!! :D
Thanks Incandenza.
Private cairnswk

Postby rebelman on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:11 am

haven't looked at this map in a long time and wow its really looking well now, i need to study it further before making gameplay comments but graphically it looks great
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:13 pm

Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:50 pm

This map is starting to look top-notch! I've only got some minor suggestions...the Diamond Joe, Gambler's Heaven, Speakeasy 1 & 2 images look out of place when compared to the other style of buildings. Perhaps something more similar to Capone's style near the lake?

Also, there seems to be some minor pixelation in parts of the map. The river running through the city suffers from it the most I think.

Lastly, perhaps adjust the yellow dots from James Vicini and the Breweries...so they are a little more clear. Perhaps by placing 2 on the road isntead of one.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby gimil on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:52 pm

Cairns i wouls also like to see a stroke or light shadow on the yellow dots in te sea, jsut to make it less difficult to identiy them in te water :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas