Conquer Club

The King's Court [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The King's Court [GP,GX,XML,BETA]

Postby nikola_milicki on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:07 pm

just noticed that knight can fort castle even tho he cant attack it? how could this be, dont think Ive seen it elsewhere? or maybe Im just confused and have mistaken it for something else?

oh wait, territs cant fort other territs if they bomb them, and "no attack/yes fort" is just a thing on this map, right?
Colonel nikola_milicki

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:08 pm

Are you playing on adjacent forts?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby nikola_milicki on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:14 pm

no, I dont see how is that relevant?
Colonel nikola_milicki

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:16 pm

nikola_milicki wrote:just noticed that knight can fort castle even tho he cant attack it? how could this be, dont think Ive seen it elsewhere? or maybe Im just confused and have mistaken it for something else?

oh wait, territs cant fort other territs if they bomb them, and "no attack/yes fort" is just a thing on this map, right?

You likely own a territory nearby that is the knight is forting through. Probably a village.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:
nikola_milicki wrote:just noticed that knight can fort castle even tho he cant attack it? how could this be, dont think Ive seen it elsewhere? or maybe Im just confused and have mistaken it for something else?

You likely own a territory nearby that is the knight is forting through. Probably a village.

Maybe that's what's happening...
Major Kabanellas

Postby nikola_milicki on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Kabanellas wrote:
-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:

Maybe that's what's happening...

lol prolly so :oops:
Colonel nikola_milicki

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Not sure if you guys have caught these two issues yet, but...

1) S4 cannot bombard K6, which is two spots away.

2) There is no mention of you only ever getting 3 troops for territory bonus, regardless of how many territories you own. This would be useful to know, since there's no point to taking out bunches of neutral spots with archers (or catapults/trebuchets) if it's not going to drop someone in reinforcements.

Thanks for a great map btw. I'm hoping I can convince the Adjacent Attacks tournament guys to put this up as an AA game. I think this map would really kick ass played as an Adjacent Attacks (not to be confused with Adjacent Forts) game :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby chipv on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:37 pm

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:Not sure if you guys have caught these two issues yet, but...

1) S4 cannot bombard K6, which is two spots away.

2) There is no mention of you only ever getting 3 troops for territory bonus, regardless of how many territories you own. This would be useful to know, since there's no point to taking out bunches of neutral spots with archers (or catapults/trebuchets) if it's not going to drop someone in reinforcements.

Thanks for a great map btw. I'm hoping I can convince the Adjacent Attacks tournament guys to put this up as an AA game. I think this map would really kick ass played as an Adjacent Attacks (not to be confused with Adjacent Forts) game :)

1) Well spotted, that should be in next update

2) True, I'm not sure where though, see what Kab says.

Thanks for all the comments!
Lieutenant chipv

Postby musteriuz on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:55 am

Hi, I hardly ever comment on maps in development, because it is clearly not my area of expertise. I have questions for this one if I may.
1) All "hills" (dark green) have S-archers on, except the one next to the S2 archer. Wouldn't it make more sense to make this a "mountain" (grey) then?
2) I only see 7 S archers. Did you intend to have 8? (Is this what the empty "hill" was intended for originally?) Or is this made up for by the 9 villages?
Could you perhaps also on page 1 give us an idea of total terits (I think I count 153), how many start neutral, etc. Well done on having the gumption to tackle a project like this - I take my hat off to all map developers.
Highest score: 2159 Highest rank: 486
(How are the mighty fallen)
[Tourney achievements are on my wall]
Sergeant 1st Class musteriuz

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:13 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:2) There is no mention of you only ever getting 3 troops for territory bonus, regardless of how many territories you own.

This map was initially intended not to have extra bonus for region number... but we gave up on that idea along the way. Chip must have missed that spot when updating the XML :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:24 am

musteriuz wrote:Hi, I hardly ever comment on maps in development, because it is clearly not my area of expertise. I have questions for this one if I may.
1) All "hills" (dark green) have S-archers on, except the one next to the S2 archer. Wouldn't it make more sense to make this a "mountain" (grey) then?
2) I only see 7 S archers. Did you intend to have 8? (Is this what the empty "hill" was intended for originally?) Or is this made up for by the 9 villages?
Could you perhaps also on page 1 give us an idea of total terits (I think I count 153), how many start neutral, etc. Well done on having the gumption to tackle a project like this - I take my hat off to all map developers.

Hi Muster, thanks for the feedback :)

1- take it as forests areas where archers hide for skirmishing nearby troops. Some are occupied, some not. And some archer don't even occupy any forest spot like S5 and S6.

2-yup 7 'S' archers plus the ones inside castles clusters - as for the territ number I think there are 161
Major Kabanellas

Postby stollmike on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:14 am

Seems a bit strange that knights can't assault castles, but if I take a village, or a terit bordering a castle, I'm basically in the door. Was the intention to make it so castles could only be assaulted (vice bombarded) from the nobles? What is the advantage to taking, say, a trebuchet to bombard a castle, when I can go through fewer armies and just take the castle?

Granted, this is my first game on the map (5 player), but I just rolled Castle C, C5 (Knight), N26, D1 (Village) then took Castle D on round 2 (and I took the noble as well, just for kicks). Maybe I just rolled well, but it seemed weird.

Do love the map, though, Kab. You rock.
Colonel stollmike

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks Mike :)

Actually the Knight is the only terr around the castle that can't assault or bombard the castle. Which seems reasonable both in terms of game-play, being the knight a powerful 'piece' with a range of 3, and in the reality aspect (mounted troops shouldn't be able to assault walls).

As for the Trebuchet. I'm pretty sure that with the update to come, where catapults will only start with 4 neutral troops on them, the trebuchets will become more appealing for they will be THE effective way of using catapult production to bombard enemy castles and the areas surrounding them. You can't kill a player with them but you can disrupt a lot of his production or even use them to support a ground assault.
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Proposed changes

I've been debating with chip a lot of possible changes to avoid players of reaching other players too early in the game and effectively destroy them. And this is what we think should help balance things a bit:

-Raise Knights starting neutral troops from 3 to 4
-Raise Villages starting neutral troops from 2 to 3
-Raise N territories neutral troops from 1 to 2
-Raise 'S' archers neutral troops that directly connect Castle archers
-Catapults neutral troops should be reduced from 6 to 4

...we could also consider reducing knights' range from 3 to 2

Note: the correction on the next update of the Nobles bonus from free deploy to auto-deploy will also help to reduce the initial firepower and stacking possibilities
Major Kabanellas

Postby ben79 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:27 am

2010-12-06 10:16:52 - ben79 assaulted D5 Archer from Castle D and conquered it from neutral player

the problem is that it does not show an archer on the region ( D5)
Lieutenant ben79

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:29 am

ben79 wrote:2010-12-06 10:16:52 - ben79 assaulted D5 Archer from Castle D and conquered it from neutral player

the problem is that it does not show an archer on the region ( D5)

That issue has been already addressed, it will be fixed in the next update. Please use the small map for now - region are correctly placed there ;)
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:30 am

Neutral starters map

all 'N' territories will start with 2 neutral troops

Click image to enlarge.
Major Kabanellas

Postby MrBenn on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Subject: The King's Court [GP,GX,XML,BETA]

Kabanellas wrote:we also noticed a discrepancy between what was initially intended for the nobles. The +1 bonus should be auto-deployable instead of a free one.

corrected files here:

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KofCastle_V19a_img_BETA.png

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KCourt_V19a_small_img.png

XML- http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/5/8/1902058/Kings_Court.xml

These files have now gone live.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:10 pm

there's a sort of a 'bug' in the game-play and sadly I just noticed now :oops: ... A6 Archer SHOULDN'T be able to reach H3 Archer this is an error in positioning.

A2 Catapult should be replaced by A6 Archer
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:23 pm

This should do it:

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Major Kabanellas

Postby chipv on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:12 pm

Summary of live changes

1. Correction to large image for positioning of Catapult and Archer
2. Knights start as 4 neutrals not 3
3. Catapults start as 4 neutral not 6
4. Catapult H cannot attack all trebuchets
5. Nobles have autodeploy +1 not +1 army
6. Archer S4 can bombard Knight K6
Lieutenant chipv

Postby carlpgoodrich on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks for commenting about the changes in my game =D>
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby nikola_milicki on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:37 pm

havent tried the new version yet but Im thinking theres gonna be too many neutrals out there, and ur giving us less armies by making nobles auto-deploy bonus, hope it wont slow down the game and make us kill a lot of neutrals b4 we can reach the opponent, will try it out tomorrow and post how it went.
Colonel nikola_milicki

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Kabanellas wrote:Proposed changes

I've been debating with chip a lot of possible changes to avoid players of reaching other players too early in the game and effectively destroy them. And this is what we think should help balance things a bit:

-Raise Knights starting neutral troops from 3 to 4
-Raise Villages starting neutral troops from 2 to 3
-Raise N territories neutral troops from 1 to 2
-Raise 'S' archers neutral troops that directly connect Castle archers
-Catapults neutral troops should be reduced from 6 to 4

...we could also consider reducing knights' range from 3 to 2

Note: the correction on the next update of the Nobles bonus from free deploy to auto-deploy will also help to reduce the initial firepower and stacking possibilities

I`ve played a number of games on the map over the last few days since it was released. I think that raising the N territories and S archers would work well to help stop the quick elimination of players. The noble autodeploy being fixed will help this too, as it will be 4 less troops to deploy per turn in 1v1. Raising the knights from 3 to 4 I think would help as well. I also really like the idea of catapults being brought down to 4, it helps make them more useful early in the game.

I however don`t think that raising the villages from 2 to 3 is necessary. I also think that reducing the knight`s range from 3 to 2 would be a mistake, especially since the positioning of the villages in comparison to the knights would suggest that the position for most of the villages revolves around the knights having an attack range of 3. I don`t think that this range difference will provide that much of a slow down in taking out other players and I think it would interfere with the gameplay too much.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby Pirlo on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:53 pm

chipv wrote:Summary of live changes

1. Correction to large image for positioning of Catapult and Archer
2. Knights start as 4 neutrals not 3
3. Catapults start as 4 neutral not 6
4. Catapult H cannot attack all trebuchets
5. Nobles have autodeploy +1 not +1 army
6. Archer S4 can bombard Knight K6

thank you sir :mrgreen:
Captain Pirlo