Conquer Club

Kingdom of Denmark [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Denmark v36 [22 Okt 2011] Gameplay v4.pg1. map update pg

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:14 pm

The Pine tree looks better. Suits the map, and I always think of this type of tree when I think of this region.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby QoH on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Basically my only issue with the map so far is the flag at the top. I think it should be changed so it's not quite that long and I also think it's at a bad angle
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby Gillipig on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:51 pm

koontz1973 wrote:The Pine tree looks better. Suits the map, and I always think of this type of tree when I think of this region.

If you do that's because you haven't been there ;) ! This image shows where the taiga belt starts. It's the dark green. Notice how the light green stretches up well into Sweden and the entire Denmark is light green. Light green is "Temperate broadleaf forest". So if we're going to be accurate the pine trees has to go!
This image gave me some inspiration for a vegetation based map. Would def look cool if a skilled mapmaker did it!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Flapcake on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Gillipig wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:The Pine tree looks better. Suits the map, and I always think of this type of tree when I think of this region.

If you do that's because you haven't been there ;) ! This image shows where the taiga belt starts. It's the dark green. Notice how the light green stretches up well into Sweden and the entire Denmark is light green. Light green is "Temperate broadleaf forest". So if we're going to be accurate the pine trees has to go!
This image gave me some inspiration for a vegetation based map. Would def look cool if a skilled mapmaker did it!

No way, any one that ever visited Denmark know thers a lot of pine trees, (I even got some in my garden) Germany and Poland got loads of pine trees, just becourse "that" image shows a ligth green line it dosen mean thers no pine trees, We export crismas pine trees to south europe, at my army time i spent hours, days and weeks in pine tree forests, I know pine trees, belive me :shock:
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby Flapcake on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:03 pm

QoH wrote:Basically my only issue with the map so far is the flag at the top. I think it should be changed so it's not quite that long and I also think it's at a bad angle

Hi QoH your point of veiw is taken.

If you ignore the flag is behind the country (for the game carried reasons) so try to read the story below, "The flag fell from the sky" I think that in a way it gives a feeling that its falling down from the sky, as well as it can. It could be scrunken so its not goin behind the crountry and still lokks like its falling.

"The legend states the origin of the flag to the Battle of Lyndanisse, also known as the Battle of Valdemar, near Lyndanisse (Tallinn) in Estonia, on June 15, 1219.
The battle was going badly, and defeat seemed imminent. But then, right when the Danes were about to give up, the flag fell from heaven. Grasping the flag before it could ever touch the ground, the king took it in his hand, and proudly waved it in front of his discouraged troops, giving them hope, and leading them to victory.
The myth is clear. The flag, Dannebrog, was given to the Danes from God himself, and from that day forward, it was the flag of Denmark, and the Danish kings."

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Denmark

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Gillipig wrote:

If you do that's because you haven't been there ;)

Been there many many times on my travels. ;)
Denmark produces about 6-7 million of the 50 million Christmas trees annually marketed in Europe. Christmas tree and greenery sales in Denmark result in an annual revenue of 600-700 million Danish kroner ($US 98-115 million).

Nordmann (or Caucasian) fir (Abies nordmanniana (Stev.) Spach.) is the primary Christmas tree species grown in Denmark. About 1.5 million Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) and 300,000 noble fir (Abies procera Rehd.) are also marketed.

Denmark's population is approximately 5 million and includes nearly 4,000 Christmas tree growers. Annually, 500,000-700,000 Christmas trees are consumed in the country. The remainder are exported to Germany (60-70%) and other European countries making Denmark Europe's largest Christmas tree exporting country.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gillipig on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Flapcake wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

No way, any one that ever visited Denmark know thers a lot of pine trees, (I even got some in my garden) Germany and Poland got loads of pine trees, just becourse "that" image shows a ligth green line it dosen mean thers no pine trees, We export crismas pine trees to south europe, at my army time i spent hours, days and weeks in pine tree forests, I know pine trees, belive me :shock:

I never said there was "no" pine trees in Denmark! The image shows what the majority of the vegetation is like. Gothenburg (where I live) is also in the light green zone and I can see a pine tree from where I'm sitting right now but the majority of the vegetation is indeed leaf trees and so is it in Denmark! A mixed forest would be the closest thing to an authentic Danish forest I guess but if you have to pick either leaf trees or pine trees to represent Denmarks vegetation, then why not go with the type that is most common?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Flapcake on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Gillipig wrote:
Flapcake wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

I never said there was "no" pine trees in Denmark! The image shows what the majority of the vegetation is like. Gothenburg (where I live) is also in the light green zone and I can see a pine tree from where I'm sitting right now but the majority of the vegetation is indeed leaf trees and so is it in Denmark! A mixed forest would be the closest thing to an authentic Danish forest I guess but if you have to pick either leaf trees or pine trees to represent Denmarks vegetation, then why not go with the type that is most common?

Most common are both, beech wood and pine tree, beech are a more noble tree, therfor i think danes like it most, I like pine more.

Postby QoH on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Flapcake wrote:
QoH wrote:Basically my only issue with the map so far is the flag at the top. I think it should be changed so it's not quite that long and I also think it's at a bad angle

Hi QoH your point of veiw is taken.

If you ignore the flag is behind the country (for the game carried reasons) so try to read the story below, "The flag fell from the sky" I think that in a way it gives a feeling that its falling down from the sky, as well as it can. It could be scrunken so its not goin behind the crountry and still lokks like its falling.

"The legend states the origin of the flag to the Battle of Lyndanisse, also known as the Battle of Valdemar, near Lyndanisse (Tallinn) in Estonia, on June 15, 1219.
The battle was going badly, and defeat seemed imminent. But then, right when the Danes were about to give up, the flag fell from heaven. Grasping the flag before it could ever touch the ground, the king took it in his hand, and proudly waved it in front of his discouraged troops, giving them hope, and leading them to victory.
The myth is clear. The flag, Dannebrog, was given to the Danes from God himself, and from that day forward, it was the flag of Denmark, and the Danish kings."

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Denmark

That's actually a pretty cool myth :)

In that case, make it look more like a flag, maybe a little smaller. I think it looks too much like a narrow ribbon than anything else.

And stick with the pine trees. i like them
Major QoH

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Gillipig, your from Sweden, Flapcake is from Denmark. I am pretty sure he knows what type of tree grows in his area.

That is a nice story about the flag. I know it was my idea about the banner type flag and I think it does look good and fits the map, but QoH has a point. Try to make it slightly thinner. The crest on the map as well does not sit correctly. The white square is a square where it should be twisted like the flag itself. Hope it is clear.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gillipig on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:13 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Gillipig, your from Sweden, Flapcake is from Denmark. I am pretty sure he knows what type of tree grows in his area.

Gothenburg lies less than 100 kilometer from the Danish mainland, the same type of trees that grows in his area grows in mine and that type is mixed with leaf trees in majority. If anything there are more pine trees where I live.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Flapcake on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Gillipig wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Gillipig, your from Sweden, Flapcake is from Denmark. I am pretty sure he knows what type of tree grows in his area.

Gothenburg lies less than 100 kilometer from the Danish mainland, the same type of trees that grows in his area grows in mine and that type is mixed with leaf trees in majority. If anything there are more pine trees where I live.

Your all rigth, and let us not make a debate club out of it, I know sweeden very well and I love the country and its nature, my fammily had a sommer house in Varmland for 15 years.

Il stick to the pine trees becourse I like them most, I do see your point Gillipig, but Denmark dont have a special tree that represent the country like Cannadas maple tree or Swedens giant pine trees.

About the flag Il give it some work ;)

Postby tokle on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:55 pm

That is a nice story about the flag. I know it was my idea about the banner type flag and I think it does look good and fits the map, but QoH has a point. Try to make it slightly thinner. The crest on the map as well does not sit correctly. The white square is a square where it should be twisted like the flag itself. Hope it is clear.

Maybe it would look better without the coat of arms on the flag.
Major tokle

Re: Denmark v37 [23 Okt 2011] Gameplay v4.pg1. map update pg

Postby Flapcake on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:34 am

Changes: Flag, coat of arms gone

Click image to enlarge.

Small map
Click image to enlarge.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:41 am

Keep the crest of the flag. Looks much cleaner.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby QoH on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:44 am

CAn you make the flag a little wider? Still looks too much like a ribbon
Major QoH

Postby Flapcake on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:09 am

QoH wrote:CAn you make the flag a little wider? Still looks too much like a ribbon

I could make it cover the rest of the sea at the top

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:28 am

Would suggest you take it down as far as Habsund (name and 888) at the same angle. Also, cover the whole of the top.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Flapcake on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:01 am

koontz1973 wrote:Would suggest you take it down as far as Habsund (name and 888) at the same angle. Also, cover the whole of the top.

Thats a giant flag ;)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:03 am

Flapcake wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Would suggest you take it down as far as Habsund (name and 888) at the same angle. Also, cover the whole of the top.

Thats a giant flag ;)

It might be big, but if it does not work, shrink it down. Without the queen and crest, something needs to be in there place. It might work, might not, will not know till you try.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Flapcake on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:06 am

koontz1973 wrote:
Flapcake wrote:

Thats a giant flag ;)

It might be big, but if it does not work, shrink it down. Without the queen and crest, something needs to be in there place. It might work, might not, will not know till you try.

Il give it a try, w8 for next update ;)

Re: Denmark v38 [23 Okt 2011] Gameplay v4.pg1. map update pg

Postby Flapcake on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Well not bad, when I have to say it my self 8-)

Click image to enlarge.

Small map
Click image to enlarge.

Postby Gillipig on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:03 pm

I don't like how the flag appears under the bridge at Aars, but I do like the overall look of the flag now. Looks better without the coat of arms and being a bit bigger. Do what you like with the trees, as long as they look good I'm fine with it. I wanted you to see my point though, and now that you did I have nothing more to add :) .
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:03 pm

The large flag looks quite nice actually. Not sure about the texture on it though. The increase brings it out more so you might want to play around with different textures till you find one you like.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Flapcake on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Gillipig wrote:I don't like how the flag appears under the bridge at Aars, but I do like the overall look of the flag now. Looks better without the coat of arms and being a bit bigger. Do what you like with the trees, as long as they look good I'm fine with it. I wanted you to see my point though, and now that you did I have nothing more to add :) .

Thanks Gillipig, we all have diffrent points of view, and if we had to meet all of them 100% one will never complete, ther could be some small changes to the flag but I think Im about there.

koontz1973 wrote:The large flag looks quite nice actually. Not sure about the texture on it though. The increase brings it out more so you might want to play around with different textures till you find one you like.

the flag is allowed to look a little worn, that what I maby will play with, ohter wise its about it, I can feel the stamp cough cough, I mean the force, muhahahaha :mrgreen:

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas