Conquer Club

Treasures of Galápagos [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Treas's of Galápagos [Final Forge] - XML/centering complete

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Forza has given the XML the go ahead on this map too! Fingers crossed.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 27, 2008 3:31 am

t-o-m wrote:is it just me or is Espanola's coodinates one pixel too far to the right?
does it need to be moved one pixel to teh left?
sorry to nit-pick
EDIT:
im refering to >this image<

you are correct t-o-m. thanks :)

AndyDufresne wrote:Forza has given the XML the go ahead on this map too! Fingers crossed.

--Andy

Thanks Andy.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby t-o-m on Tue May 27, 2008 2:30 pm

almost there now :)

ive taken a longer look at the 88's and i cant see any others i dont think.

btw nice penguin! :lol:
Major t-o-m

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Thu May 29, 2008 10:42 pm

Dare I write something or will I be ignored again? :roll:
Brigadier Torter_of_Worlds

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 30, 2008 2:56 am

Torter_of_Worlds wrote:Dare I write something or will I be ignored again? :roll:

Oh dear. i've missed someone. :o
R U refering to the post on P12 re bonuses and luggers?
Private cairnswk

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Fri May 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Yeah, just how obtaining one lugger or fresh water stacks so quickly...

Re: Treasures of Galápagos V15 (P11) [I,Gr,GP] - Changes L&S

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 30, 2008 1:07 pm

Torter_of_Worlds wrote:Love it.

I like the bonuses...I wouldn't add anymore as suggested - you have more than enough. Adding more would make almost every attack yield more armies as it is currently laid out. A small map doesn't need a lot of bonuses to move quickly (Feudal War perfect example). Having too many bonuses takes away from the skill level required and refocuses the game on the luck aspect of: who can roll the best dice to get the bonus 1 or 2 rounds before the others. Accordingly, I advocate for fewer bonuses.

What's the plan for 1 v. 1 deployment? Start with 2 snorkels?

Regards

Torter_of_Worlds wrote:The comment below pertains to 1 v. 1 game play only! Please also note I am merely trying to provide constructive feedback :)

3 snorkels? hmmm; so all a player would need to do is capture one lug and he would obtain a 9 army bonus + 3 for territories next turn? Isn't this a little much for something that could happen so early in the game? Also consider whomever obtains this bonus could camp out one turn on the lug waiting to see if the opponent breaches another lug and possibly run through him. Better yet; if the opponent doesn't breach a lug, the lug owner could wait to attack next turn (or attack more lugs and stack the bonus) and then attack with a hefty stack against one still seeking a +1 treasure or a +4 fresh water (which could be too late...even though this would stack with the number of snorkels too...) which would prove useless within these two rounds alone.

Possibly the lug bonus alone could be its ability to attack all other lugs? Having this ability alone is beneficial.

Freshwater: perhaps instead of saying +4/snorkel; make it +4 flat rate.

More comments to come pending your response :)

Well, even when there is no set starting positions (as in das schloss) there is going to be now four positions as starters for a 1vs 1 game, given that there are now 9 reefs.

So you are saying that there should be no bonus for having a lugger.

What about:
-1 decay on each snorkel
+3 for snorkel & water
+2 for lugger and snorkel.
+1 for each treasure.

would that suffice?
Private cairnswk

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Fri May 30, 2008 1:42 pm

I think that would be better and would fit 2 player and 8 player games, but its your call.

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Torter_of_Worlds wrote:I think that would be better and would fit 2 player and 8 player games, but its your call.

I can live with that, but i'd like some other opinions also. :)

What about:
-1 decay on each snorkel
+3 for snorkel & water
+1 for each treasure.
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Fri May 30, 2008 11:54 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Well, even when there is no set starting positions (as in das schloss) there is going to be now four positions as starters for a 1vs 1 game, given that there are now 9 reefs.

What about:
-1 decay on each snorkel
+3 for snorkel & water
+1 for each treasure.

would that suffice?

cairnswk you really need to remember how 1v1s work

It's just like a 3 player game except one player is neutral so there are not 4 starting positions!

Also, couldn't you also keep the lugger bonus for itself but instead of getting multiple bonuses for holding say 3 snorkels and one lugger make it a one to one bonus?

So you only get extra bonuses if you hold 2 luggers and 2 snorkels. or 3 and 3 etc...

I like having the lugger bonuses by themselves because even if I lose my snorkel, I'm not totally out of the game.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 31, 2008 1:25 am

edbeard wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

What about:
-1 decay on each snorkel
+3 for snorkel & water
+1 for each treasure.

would that suffice?

cairnswk you really need to remember how 1v1s work

It's just like a 3 player game except one player is neutral so there are not 4 starting positions!

so there will be three...oh dear, i'm getting horribly confused between this and that other schloss starting positions thing.

Also, couldn't you also keep the lugger bonus for itself but instead of getting multiple bonuses for holding say 3 snorkels and one lugger make it a one to one bonus?
So you only get extra bonuses if you hold 2 luggers and 2 snorkels. or 3 and 3 etc...
I like having the lugger bonuses by themselves because even if I lose my snorkel, I'm not totally out of the game.

that's a possibility.
So edbeard...what would be you're list for the bonuses please. how would you write them in the legend?
Private cairnswk

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Sat May 31, 2008 7:56 am

Incorporating snorkel into the bonus structure adds to the strategy of the map. You can't go wandering off with a huge army in front or else you run the risk of snorkel death (thus killing your bonus) at the beginning of next turn. I think this adds a unique twist to current strategies out there.

Also, there will be four starting positions for each player in a 1v1. Example: The New World has 9 locations but starts 1v1 players with four homelands (reefs in this case)

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 31, 2008 10:31 am

Torter_of_Worlds wrote:Incorporating snorkel into the bonus structure adds to the strategy of the map. You can't go wandering off with a huge army in front or else you run the risk of snorkel death (thus killing your bonus) at the beginning of next turn. I think this adds a unique twist to current strategies out there.

Also, there will be four starting positions for each player in a 1v1. Example: The New World has 9 locations but starts 1v1 players with four homelands (reefs in this case)

New worlds has 4 starting positions each because there is starting positions set into the xml code, just like das schloss has.
This map will not have those starting positions, the drop will be random so that you can't tell which starting position you'll get. When this occurs and there is no starting positions stated in the xml, then there is a default third neutral split in the starters, so that in 1vs1, there will only be 3 positions to start on. Confused?
Yes it is. But edbeard is correct about three positions in 1vs1.
Private cairnswk

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Sat May 31, 2008 3:43 pm

Confused? Not at all - I didn't know it was coded in. Ignorance of how something works isn't confusion...it's ignorance speaking heh

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Sat May 31, 2008 8:13 pm

Quench! I think this will be in my top 3 favorite maps.

Also, for a superior turtle bonus: Make one turtle on map male and other female...if you have both you obtain a +3 instead of +2 because they are mating. :D Ooo...do for the penguins and lizards too. Mating bonuses - that's what it is about.

It's all about natural selection in the world of Galapagos...

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:38 pm

Torter_of_Worlds wrote:Quench! I think this will be in my top 3 favorite maps.

Also, for a superior turtle bonus: Make one turtle on map male and other female...if you have both you obtain a +3 instead of +2 because they are mating. :D Ooo...do for the penguins and lizards too. Mating bonuses - that's what it is about.

Hmmm - not a bad idea - could be tricky to differentiate though?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:40 pm

Goodness, great suggestion but i won't go there at this late stage.

Still to do, change the bonus structure and re-work the legend on the map.

Are you happy with this:

-1 decay on each snorkel
+3 for snorkel & water
+1 for each treasure.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:43 pm

edbeard wrote:cairnswk you really need to remember how 1v1s work

OK...the bonuses are between you and Torter_of_Worlds.

At this stage, what's it going to be for bonuses?
Private cairnswk

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:16 pm

yeti_c wrote:

Hmmm - not a bad idea - could be tricky to differentiate though?

C.

Graphically it could be done but this is probably inappropriate :roll:

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:23 pm

I like edbeard's idea with the one-to-one bonus but my concern is people will start chasing down the fresh water supplies because they would stack - a +2 bonus isn't that much considering one double roll can negate it. However, this could be fixed with a neutral increase on the fresh water supplies and a decrease on the luggers. I like this because it basically means that once you get a lugger it does not entitle you to freely roam the other luggers until you obtain a more substantial bonus or build a couple of rounds.

So lugger bonus: one-to-one, play with the neutral on this. I suggest 4 while increasing the neutral on the fresh water bonus to 7.

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:10 pm

Last question from me: If at the end your turn, one of my snorkels has a 1 on it; would it revert to a neutral 1 at the beginning of my next turn?

Thanks! :)

Postby edbeard on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:47 pm

-1 decay on each snorkel
+3 for snorkel & water
+1 for each treasure.
+2 for a lugger (maybe +1?)

I took what you wrote above and edited it a bit, but more discussion is needed. Also, this is with the 'one snorkel and one _____ make a bonus not one snorkel and X ____s" (where ____ = water or lugger)

What do people think players first moves will be? How will they react to each other? Will people be eliminated too quickly?
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:04 am

cairnswk wrote:
edbeard wrote:cairnswk you really need to remember how 1v1s work

OK...the bonuses are between you and Torter_of_Worlds.

At this stage, what's it going to be for bonuses?

BTW - I've just realised something...

If you play New world on 2 player - each person receives 4 starts - not 3... this is because New Worlds uses the new "starting positions" code... which NEVER assigns a neutral start.

If you use the older style of starting positions (i.e. Fuedal war, AOR) then you will get the standard 2 player game with additional neutral player.

This is an important discovery and shapes how you write the XML for this map I think.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby iancanton on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:59 am

cairns

this map is one of the nicest-looking, as well as having some of the most interesting gameplay.

i assume that, as on the dust bowl map, the -1 snorkel decay reduces armies down to a minimum of 1 and doesn't actually kill off the last army.

for the bonus structure, i favour keeping the current +4 for snorkel plus water, with +3 for snorkel with at least one lugger (i assume this stacks with the lugger bonus - here, we come across the question of whether, in the absence of explanatory text, bonuses on cc maps are generally understood to stack or, alternatively, override) and either +0 or +1 for having a lugger; luggers already have the special ability to attack other luggers and gain bonuses for more than one snorkel, so +2 for each lugger is excessive.

the male and female bonus is at first glance appropriate to the subject but, with the xml checked and the map virtually ready for quenching, i have to lean toward not introducing something which changes the xml structure so much.

has a decision been made on whether we want 3 or 4 starting positions each in a 2-player game?

rather than "gather" treasures, can u change the text to read "protect" treasures instead? as well as being in line with gameplay (u receive no bonus if u gather the treasures but fail to protect them against attack), i think it's more in tune with environmental awareness.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Treasures of Galápagos V25 Bonuses adjusted

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:44 pm

iancanton wrote:cairns
this map is one of the nicest-looking, as well as having some of the most interesting gameplay.

Thanks Ian :)

i assume that, as on the dust bowl map, the -1 snorkel decay reduces armies down to a minimum of 1 and doesn't actually kill off the last army.
yes

for the bonus structure, i favour keeping the current +4 for snorkel plus water, with +3 for snorkel with at least one lugger (i assume this stacks with the lugger bonus - here, we come across the question of whether, in the absence of explanatory text, bonuses on cc maps are generally understood to stack or, alternatively, override) and either +0 or +1 for having a lugger; luggers already have the special ability to attack other luggers and gain bonuses for more than one snorkel, so +2 for each lugger is excessive.

OK i can change that in xml, it's simply a matter of changing bonus amounts on the luggers, which i have done to +1.

the male and female bonus is at first glance appropriate to the subject but, with the xml checked and the map virtually ready for quenching, i have to lean toward not introducing something which changes the xml structure so much.
here here :)

has a decision been made on whether we want 3 or 4 starting positions each in a 2-player game?
I think going with old style 1(3) vs 1(3) vs 3 neutral will be better.

rather than "gather" treasures, can u change the text to read "protect" treasures instead? as well as being in line with gameplay (u receive no bonus if u gather the treasures but fail to protect them against attack), i think it's more in tune with environmental awareness.
ian. :)

Done

yeti_c wrote:BTW - I've just realised something...
If you play New world on 2 player - each person receives 4 starts - not 3... this is because New Worlds uses the new "starting positions" code... which NEVER assigns a neutral start.
If you use the older style of starting positions (i.e. Fuedal war, AOR) then you will get the standard 2 player game with additional neutral player.
This is an important discovery and shapes how you write the XML for this map I think.
C.

Newer style Starting Positions have now been removed from the xml giving each player in 1 vs 1 one fewer terts to start on....is this what you wanted? :)

edbeard wrote:-1 decay on each snorkel
+3 for snorkel & water
+1 for each treasure.
+2 for a lugger (maybe +1?)

I like this...done....replaced in the xml below.

Torter_of_Worlds wrote:Last question from me: If at the end your turn, one of my snorkels has a 1 on it; would it revert to a neutral 1 at the beginning of my next turn?
Thanks! :)

No. That is a killer neutral....not going there with this map.
The decay goes as far as 1 and stops.

Torter_of_Worlds wrote:I like edbeard's idea with the one-to-one bonus but my concern is people will start chasing down the fresh water supplies because they would stack - a +2 bonus isn't that much considering one double roll can negate it. However, this could be fixed with a neutral increase on the fresh water supplies and a decrease on the luggers. I like this because it basically means that once you get a lugger it does not entitle you to freely roam the other luggers until you obtain a more substantial bonus or build a couple of rounds.

So lugger bonus: one-to-one, play with the neutral on this. I suggest 4 while increasing the neutral on the fresh water bonus to 7.

I won't adjust the neutrals on all water terts to 7, as there are formula in place from the reefs - this being 10 armies to conquer to get the water.
However, I will increase that 10 to 12, giving each reef/snorkel an extra two neutrals to conquer.

So here is Version 25.
Small with 88 digits
Click image to enlarge.

Large with 88 digits
Click image to enlarge.

Small
Click image to enlarge.

Large
Click image to enlarge.

XML:
http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/_galapagos_140608.xml