Conquer Club

Celtic 7 Nations v4.0 [Quenched]!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Celtic 7 Nations v3.5

Postby The Bison King on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Some very minor changes.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby ender516 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Okay, here is the XML with the Galician regions renamed, and the accent dropped from Domnonee. I have made no coordinate changes, but at a quick glance I don't see the need for any.

Celtic_7_Nations.1.5.xml
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby The Bison King on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:10 pm

ender516 wrote:Okay, here is the XML with the Galician regions renamed, and the accent dropped from Domnonee. I have made no coordinate changes, but at a quick glance I don't see the need for any.

Celtic_7_Nations.1.5.xml

If you could please:

On the small:
-move Cileni a tab up and left
-move Oriel a tad down and right

On the large:
-Move Oriel a tad down and right as well

Thank you.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby ender516 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:11 pm

Try this on for size:
Celtic_7_Nations.1.6.xml

Postby The Bison King on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:24 pm

ender516 wrote:Try this on for size:
Celtic_7_Nations.1.6.xml

I love you. 8-[

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby ender516 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:23 pm

The Bison King wrote:
Celtic_7_Nations.1.6.xml

I love you. 8-[

Sure, you say that now, but will you respect me tomorrow?

Postby The Bison King on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:32 pm

ender516 wrote:
The Bison King wrote:
Celtic_7_Nations.1.6.xml

I love you. 8-[

Sure, you say that now, but will you respect me tomorrow?

Trust me, when you wake up, I'll be long gone.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:08 pm

On that awkward note.... lets hear if there is any final nitpicks and or issues.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:43 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:On that awkward note.... lets hear if there are any final nitpicks and/or issues.

That's my only nitpick.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:On that awkward note.... lets hear if there is any final nitpicks and or issues.

well now I love you ;)

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby ender516 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:03 pm

The Bison King wrote:
RedBaron0 wrote:On that awkward note.... lets hear if there is any final nitpicks and or issues.

well now I love you ;)

You hussy...

Postby The Bison King on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:10 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Nudged a few letters, touched up a few borders, then gave it a higher quality export.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Okay, I lied. I do have 1 nitpick: Could you have the colors of the fancy capital letters in the legend match (color-wise) better with their corresponding bonus areas? They are rather dark in comparison.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Okay, I lied. I do have 1 nitpick: Could you have the colors of the fancy capital letters in the legend match (color-wise) better with their corresponding bonus areas? They are rather dark in comparison.

When they're lighter the letters are too hard to see.
Last edited by The Bison King on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Ah, I see. Carry on...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby tokle on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Why insist on English names for the bonus regions?
Why not just get rid of the English altogether?
You already have the native names on the map, so why not just use them?

And another thing, this map is of the modern day situation, so why use the names Loegria and Gaul? When those names were used, they were inhabited by Celtic peoples, and thus wouldn't have been excluded from this map.
ImageImage
Major tokle

Postby The Bison King on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Why insist on English names for the bonus regions?
Why not just get rid of the English altogether?
You already have the native names on the map, so why not just use them?

Why ask the same question 3 times?
Why not pay attention the first time I answer it?

From and Earlier post:
the idea is to show both. I want to use the English names Primarily for familiarity and simplicity but also show the the Gaelic names for Cultural and historical relevance. That's the best way I thought to do it.

Also the Gaelic names are shorter and look kind of weird in the legend by themselves.

And another thing, this map is of the modern day situation, so why use the names Loegria and Gaul? When those names were used, they were inhabited by Celtic peoples, and thus wouldn't have been excluded from this map.

It absolutely is NOT of the modern day situation. Galicia isn't a country, Brittany's part of France, and Cornwall's part of England. This map is of a time around the fall of the Roman empire after the Celts were pushed out of Mainland Europe and after the Normans invaded England between the 1st and 3rd century AD. It says this on the very first page:

From the very 1st post:
Until the 2nd century BC The Celts lived across the whole of central and western Europe. Around the reign of Julius Caeser the Romans began to push the Celts out of mainland Europe, until they were limited to the fringes of western Europe and the Islands of Great Britain and Ireland. Later in AD times the Normans invaded great Britain and pushed the Celts out of the heart of the Island. The only areas left with a Celtic cultural presence became known as the Celtic 7 Nations.

Gaul is what the Romans called that region, you might have something with Loegria though since that is a caltic name for that region, but I figured from an early celtic point of view they may have still called that region that even after it was inhabited by the Normans.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:10 pm

BUT, because I am a creature of unending generosity and limitless mercy I'll choose to ignore that you were a total snot about how you asked and post this for you:

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

I don't prefer it myself but I figured there's be no harm in posting it. With out a doubt there are a million valid arguments for using exclusively the Gaelic names. I'll see what people think and if it's unanimous that I should use exclusively the Gaelic names I will be a humble servant and switch. Just remember in your hearts poor Ender (whom I love) who will have to yet again change the XML :cry: )

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby tokle on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:47 pm

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound snottish, I'm only comment because I like the map, you know.

I think the map looks much better like that, though.

But, since I am a historian, I can't help refute a few points. And again I don't mean to be a snot, if that's what I come across as.

The Bison King wrote:
tokle wrote:And another thing, this map is of the modern day situation, so why use the names Loegria and Gaul? When those names were used, they were inhabited by Celtic peoples, and thus wouldn't have been excluded from this map.

It absolutely is NOT of the modern day situation. Galicia isn't a country, Brittany's part of France, and Cornwall's part of England.

The celtic "nations" within the borders that you show on this map is most definitely the modern situation. At any other time in history they would have been completely different.

The Bison King wrote:This map is of a time around the fall of the Roman empire after the Celts were pushed out of Mainland Europe and after the Normans invaded England between the 1st and 3rd century AD. It says this on the very first page:

From the very 1st post:
Until the 2nd century BC The Celts lived across the whole of central and western Europe. Around the reign of Julius Caeser the Romans began to push the Celts out of mainland Europe, until they were limited to the fringes of western Europe and the Islands of Great Britain and Ireland. Later in AD times the Normans invaded great Britain and pushed the Celts out of the heart of the Island. The only areas left with a Celtic cultural presence became known as the Celtic 7 Nations.

Just because it says this on the first page, doesn't mean that it is true.

Firstly, Caesar lived in the 1st century BC, not the second. Though that's not really important. Secondly, the Romans never drove anyone away, they set themselves up as provincial overlords, and often intermixed with the local population. Sometimes this led to a Latinification of the cultures, as in Spain, or Cisalpine Gallia, but this was not the case in the areas of modern day France and the British Isles. There was still a thriving Celtic culture and language in these areas when the Romans left in the 4th and 5th centuries. It was first with the anglo-saxon invasions of the 4th century that started to drive the Celts towards the fringes of Great Britain, and to Brittany and Hispania. The Normans don't enter in to it at all.

And only later, around the sixth century, did the Celts start to move into what is today Scotland.

The Bison King wrote:Gaul is what the Romans called that region, you might have something with Loegria though since that is a caltic name for that region, but I figured from an early celtic point of view they may have still called that region that even after it was inhabited by the Normans.

Gaul is English, not Latin, it is derived from German and is related to the word Wales. The Romans called it Gallia. Loegria is Latin though, as the british (celts) would have said Logres.
Britannia is Latin, too. Wouldn't the simplest sollution be to call it England? Since the borders are clearly after the English arrived, then England would be the most correct name. Or maybe a Celtic word for England. I quickly looked it up in wikipedia, the Irish call it Sasana, the Welsh Lloegr, the Scots Sasainn.
ImageImage
Major tokle

Postby ender516 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:06 am

TBK, I appreciate your concern for my welfare, but I live to serve. A global search and replace of one set of names for another is quite easily done with my text editor, XEmacs. Coordinate shifts are the painful changes, because they require running up the Map XML Wizard and picking and tweaking. (This is not to say that I don't love the Wizard, because I do. Before it existed, you had to use a separate tool to generate the coordinates and then paste them into your editor, or simply count pixels and pray.)

Postby The Bison King on Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:41 am

The Romans called it Gallia. Loegria is Latin though, as the british (celts) would have said Logres.

Then wouldn't that be fine? If I called Gaul Gallia and England Loegria. That way I'm still using the Roman names for both regions, but shouldn't Brittania also be acceptable?

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby tokle on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:32 am

The Bison King wrote:
The Romans called it Gallia. Loegria is Latin though, as the british (celts) would have said Logres.

Then wouldn't that be fine? If I called Gaul Gallia and England Loegria. That way I'm still using the Roman names for both regions, but shouldn't Brittania also be acceptable?

Well, then you would have to reason why you would use Latin, I guess. I would have called them England and France, or use the Gaelic, Sasana and An Fhrainc.
These are trivialities, though. Not really important.
ImageImage
Major tokle

Postby RedBaron0 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:47 am

The only nitpick I've got is the fancy capital letters you have for the bonus names. While a nice idea, I think the level of detail for something of that size is more than getting lost. It's making the letters difficult to read, thus a source of confusion. You've got the minimap I know, but having to look back and forth to confirm which bonus gets what is going to be annoying. If you can make the letters clearer, especially on the small map, great, but I think you might be better off just typing in your Celtic font. Function over form
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby The Bison King on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:57 am

Sorry I've been away all day. I'll have time tomorrow.

Sergeant The Bison King

Re: Celtic 7 Nations v3.6

Postby The Bison King on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

The only nitpick I've got is the fancy capital letters you have for the bonus names. While a nice idea, I think the level of detail for something of that size is more than getting lost.

I made them about as large as I can I hope it helps. It may be possible to enlarge them a little more but I'll need to push some thing's around.

So I went with the Gaelic names after all. I confess it just makes more sense. I'm also sticking with the roman names for the non-playable area's, and I asked a friend of mine whose a history major, and his dads a history professor, they definitely called those regions Gaul and Brittania.

Sergeant The Bison King

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas