Conquer Club

France [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:48 pm

I like the idea of the title, and of the nation's flag colors in the font, but some more experimentation with choices should be looked into. Perhaps something a little more elegant looking, but not wispy, you know? Or if you want, somewhat similar to what's on the map, bold and striking, but more like an Impact font or such.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:44 am

My photoshop is having huge problems drawing the borders. It keeps like drawing only random straight lines. It's frustrating.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:02 am

Worked on the title a bit, also tried to less pixelate the borders it's not working and photoshop is being a bitch trying.

Added another font option. Also put up pole over those

Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:18 am

try zooming in really close into the image and take the brush tool slowly round the boarders. This should give you a draw.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:18 am

gimil wrote:try zooming in really close into the image and take the brush tool slowly round the boarders. This should give you a draw.

The problem is, my brush tool isn't working correctly.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:21 am

is your flow at 100%?

Is the layer mode at normal?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:24 am

something messed up in my photoshop, but half the tools in the tool pallette just come up with a line with an arrow on each end... and they dont function at all.

like when you are trying to expand something on windows you know what i'm talking about?

edit: I temporarily have gotten it working for now, they are looking more smooth but still pixelated.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:26 am

re did borders exactly to gimil's suggestions, I hope they are up to standard. If not there is nothing else I can do, besides change the colors.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:05 pm

I'm not sure how pretty or well this would work, but you could always try to soften, blur, or smooth the borders with such tools.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:35 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I'm not sure how pretty or well this would work, but you could always try to soften, blur, or smooth the borders with such tools.

--Andy

Those were the first methods I tried. I didn't want to redo all the borders.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:38 am

Here's a gaussian blur.

I wish I could get more feedback.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:40 am

Are we getting close to finished here? The only things I can think of depends on the results of the pole and i'm not getting much feedback... besides on the borders.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby misterman10 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:40 am

I like the mother font the best, it is the most striking with the alps font in second
Pleasant Chaps still suck cock.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:47 am

Just some quick feedback.

The bad

- The rivers look thick
- The mountains still stand out too much
- The legend just seems like more can me done with it.

The good

- I like the light colours on this map.
- The title looks good
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby edbeard on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:55 am

the title. the red on the top, white in the middle, and blue on the bottom is the configuration of the dutch flag. I think putting the title is such a manner is a good idea, but should split blue on left, white in middle and red on the right like the French flag.

I don't like the mountains at all. they look out of place. all the white dots inside it make it look quite strange. maybe the black would fix it, but I'd like to see another attempt at the mountains.

I put my vote for the font. I said corsica because it looks good on all the colours you've put them on. you didn't put every font type on every colour so I can't really say if it truly is the best.

can't really comment on anything else because haven't seen the bonus structure, and honestly I haven't put too much thought into the gameplay on this yet.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:59 am

misterman10 wrote:I like the mother font the best, it is the most striking with the alps font in second

Those are my favorites in order too. I'm not sure why they're not getting the most votes. I think the country font looks terrible.

Bad Speler wrote:Just some quick feedback.

The bad

- The rivers look thick
- The mountains still stand out too much
- The legend just seems like more can me done with it.

The good

- I like the light colours on this map.
- The title looks good

1. I think the rivers are just of the right thickness. About 5 pixels wide. I like the slight inconsistency I have put too because for me it adds realism to the rivers being rivers. If alot of people whine I will change.

2. I disagree, but I will defer for more comments though.

3. If anything i'd like to see myself do less with it. I'll experiment though.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:52 am

here's another legend option for bad speller.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:41 am

I like this legend much better, it fits in with the rest of the map.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:47 pm

Bad Speler wrote:I like this legend much better, it fits in with the rest of the map.

i actually do too, that's what I meant when I said I'd like to see myself do less with it.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gimil on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:22 pm

move brittany to the top of the legends, this will separate it from Bulgaria since they have a similar color. With it sitting at the top it will be better recognizable since its sitting right next to its continent.

I dont like the title, its been beveled which is giving it a 3D effect despite the rest of the map being alot flatter.

Some of your colors seem a little of, im not sure how but ill look into it and probably tomorrow ill post in here with color codes to level things out a little :wink:

The boarders are looking really good now.

I know its not winning in the pole but i feel the alps font is much better suited. Its a little sutler than the mother font. Mother i think will make the map to white once you put all the territory names in. Alps is much softer and i think will fit the map much better. Despite the pole outcome i think you should consider my argument :wink:

I still dont like the mountains. But im not sure what to do about them :?

Anyway keep up the work rev

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:19 am

gimil wrote:move brittany to the top of the legends, this will separate it from Bulgaria since they have a similar color. With it sitting at the top it will be better recognizable since its sitting right next to its continent.

I dont like the title, its been beveled which is giving it a 3D effect despite the rest of the map being alot flatter.

Some of your colors seem a little of, im not sure how but ill look into it and probably tomorrow ill post in here with color codes to level things out a little :wink:

The boarders are looking really good now.

I know its not winning in the pole but i feel the alps font is much better suited. Its a little sutler than the mother font. Mother i think will make the map to white once you put all the territory names in. Alps is much softer and i think will fit the map much better. Despite the pole outcome i think you should consider my argument :wink:

I still dont like the mountains. But im not sure what to do about them :?

Anyway keep up the work rev

1. I can do that.

2. I'm a fan of the title and the bevel, but for you I will experiment with a more flat thing on the title, though I am a big fan of how the bevel turned out.

3. Are you meaning on the legend? It might be because I didn't remove the border outerglow that they seem off. Otherwise I'm fine with my color selection and I think others are too.

4. thanks.

5. The alps font is what I used in the original and it never got whined about it's also tied for the lead in the pole which will go on for 10 days from when it was started. I may just go back to it if mother wins and everything seems too white.

6. I'm not either, I'll consider some other options.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gimil on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:37 am

reverend_kyle wrote:
2. I'm a fan of the title and the bevel, but for you I will experiment with a more flat thing on the title, though I am a big fan of how the bevel turned out.

3. Are you meaning on the legend? It might be because I didn't remove the border outerglow that they seem off. Otherwise I'm fine with my color selection and I think others are too.

2. The title does look good. But it just doesn't sit right with the rest of the map unless you play around and fill the map with some more beveled stuff.

3. No im the colors u have used in the continents in general. Theres nothing wrong with them per say, but i feel they may need a little tweak to working better together. you understand what i mean?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby steve monkey on Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:03 am

I voted for the Corsica font, it seems to be the clearest of the options.

May the dice gods shine favourably upon you.
Private 1st Class steve monkey

Postby gimil on Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:05 am

steve monkey wrote:I voted for the Corsica font, it seems to be the clearest of the options.

really? I think its flat and boaring

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:54 am

haven't read the thread so probably some of my points have already been discussed/suggested. sorry bout that.

so here goes:
1. mountains. they don't fit with the style of the map at all. scrap them and try something else. the bevel on them and the white dots spoil everything.
2. corsica. the white outline is pixelated and strangely done. make it like the border of the lengend and round it a bit.
3. the gradient of the title should be horizontal not vertical. with blue on the left to represent the flag of france.
4. font. mother or alps.
5. legend. move it a bit down. at this moment it touches brittanny.
6. spelling. not sure but burgAndy should be burgUndy
7. borders. in some places the borders are thicker. like the easter most part of burgundy.
8. bevel. in the lower left corner the water looks like it is on top of the dead area.
9. strange lines. in the upper right corner you have some strange white lines on the margin of the map.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas