Conquer Club

The New World [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The New World (Ver 19, Pg 19) [Final Forge]

Postby lanyards on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:50 am

Now that there is no gray continent, why not make the ports have a gray border? I think it will look better. Also, could the yellow borders be made a little more visable?

--lanyards
Major lanyards

Re: The New World (Ver 19, Pg 19) [Final Forge]

Postby gimil on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:02 am

lanyards wrote:Now that there is no gray continent, why not make the ports have a gray border? I think it will look better. Also, could the yellow borders be made a little more visable?

--lanyards

There really isnt anything I can do with hte yellow border that will keep it within the same color level as the rest of the borders. I think its different enought for gameplay purposes :)

For the grey border ports ill try them out.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: The New World (Pg 24) [Final Forge]

Postby lanyards on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:00 am

The green, yellow, and orange landing point wheels are tranparent, and the blue and red ones are not. I like the none transparent ones better so make them all none transparent.

--lanyards
Major lanyards

Postby gimil on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:03 am

lanyards wrote:The green, yellow, and orange landing point wheels are tranparent, and the blue and red ones are not. I like the none transparent ones better so make them all none transparent.

--lanyards

Yes Sir :P

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby asl80 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:20 pm

* just lloking at the map it's not clear what's involved in the "all homelands = +4"
- does this mean, hold all of the european and indigenous homelands (9 terrs.) to recieve a plus four bonus?
- and, "automatically deployed bonus" ... where are they deployed too?

can you please explain this further to me ... and include on map if i'm not completely stupid.

...... ahh, i think i get it now ... each homeland or landing point, at the beggining of every turn get +4 or +3 respectively on the individual territory ... took me a while, but i got there (how about we downgrade that "completely stupid" above to "mildly incompetant")

- but still - maybe the map could read somethin like "Automatically deployed bonuses on individual territories:", or just simpy change the "All homelands/All Landing Points" to "Each homeland/Each Landing Point", (or something of the like)

* (P.S. was the direction of the compass issue cleared up, i.e. is it really facing north now?)

* And one more - for the two "N." and "S." ports, do they get a further, say east-west, naming addition in the drop down bars for selecting which territories to use? ... what will each of those four territories be called?
Maybe this could be indicated on the map with a simple little "e" or "w" respectively next to each of the N. and S.?
(Or is there another way of distinguishing them ... or do you believe there is no need?)
Lieutenant asl80

Postby gimil on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:12 pm

asl80 wrote:* just lloking at the map it's not clear what's involved in the "all homelands = +4"
- does this mean, hold all of the european and indigenous homelands (9 terrs.) to recieve a plus four bonus?
- and, "automatically deployed bonus" ... where are they deployed too?

can you please explain this further to me ... and include on map if i'm not completely stupid.

...... ahh, i think i get it now ... each homeland or landing point, at the beggining of every turn get +4 or +3 respectively on the individual territory ... took me a while, but i got there (how about we downgrade that "completely stupid" above to "mildly incompetant")

- but still - maybe the map could read somethin like "Automatically deployed bonuses on individual territories:", or just simpy change the "All homelands/All Landing Points" to "Each homeland/Each Landing Point", (or something of the like)

* (P.S. was the direction of the compass issue cleared up, i.e. is it really facing north now?)

* And one more - for the two "N." and "S." ports, do they get a further, say east-west, naming addition in the drop down bars for selecting which territories to use? ... what will each of those four territories be called?
Maybe this could be indicated on the map with a simple little "e" or "w" respectively next to each of the N. and S.?
(Or is there another way of distinguishing them ... or do you believe there is no need?)

HI asl80.

For the ports they will be named after the ocean on which they sit. Its not on the map but WILL appear in te drop down menu. For the auto deploy bonus it is spelt out clearly enougt. It has gone through discussion and has been proven to work on such maps as feudal war and AoR

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Tieryn on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:14 am

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before sorry, but I've always thought when looking at this map that the word "Inuit" was overstretched... It could be less stretched, and still quite nicely name the continent, and I think it would look better if it was less wide.
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Postby gimil on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:09 pm

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby tenio on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:19 pm

might be a little to late lol

but in the legend

For Every two ports held within an empire you receive a +1 bonus

does this mean only in your empire or can it be any empire?
Cadet tenio

Postby gimil on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:22 pm

tenio wrote:might be a little to late lol

but in the legend

For Every two ports held within an empire you receive a +1 bonus

does this mean only in your empire or can it be any empire?

held WITHIN an empire.

Hope that helps :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby edbeard on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:24 am

you don't really expressly say what an empire is. Do you think that could be a problem?
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:59 am

[quote="edbeard"]you don't really expressly say what an empire is. Do you think that could be a problem?[/quote]

I don't think so; I should think it fairly obvious that that's what those colored conglomerations of territories are.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby gimil on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:58 am

InkL0sed wrote:
edbeard wrote:you don't really expressly say what an empire is. Do you think that could be a problem?

I don't think so; I should think it fairly obvious that that's what those colored conglomerations of territories are.

Yes edbeard this shoulnt be a problem. There oly so much you can hold a palyers hand tohelphim with. Sooner or later there going to have to think :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:41 am

Whoa Gimil...perhaps you assume too much. I work hard, study hard, and when I play CC...the map should tell me EVERYTHING. Even how to attack, where to deploy, etc during game play. Ultimately, I believe this map lacks an autonomous player engine thereby forcing one to utilize both sides of the brain (that is, the left and right).

Back to the map - at a quick glance, the only thing that concerns me is the Inuit Empire - They must travel through more neutrals to access a port quickly. Granted, in a 1 v. 1 game this wont matter considering you start with 3 homelands; however, in an 8 player game, this may lend itself as an advantage (players must travel further to take your homeland) or disadvantage (you must travel further if you wish to go hunting in a Fog of War set up...

2 cents.
Brigadier Torter_of_Worlds

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:46 pm

Considering the army bonus for every 2 territories...does it follow that homelands with 1s as neutrals have an advantage?

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:38 pm

[quote="Torter_of_Worlds"]
Back to the map - at a quick glance, the only thing that concerns me is the Inuit Empire - They must travel through more neutrals to access a port quickly. Granted, in a 1 v. 1 game this wont matter considering you start with 3 homelands; however, in an 8 player game, this may lend itself as an advantage (players must travel further to take your homeland) or disadvantage (you must travel further if you wish to go hunting in a Fog of War set up...

2 cents.[/quote]

I should think that would simply give the Inuits a different flavor gameplay, not an advantage or disadvantage.

[quote="Torter_of_World"]Considering the army bonus for every 2 territories...does it follow that homelands with 1s as neutrals have an advantage?[/quote]

Yes, but at the same time, the Europeans have an easier time defending their homelands. Again, it's balanced; it just has a different kind of gameplay.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:56 pm

Easier time positionally defending; however, a +2 or +3 army bonus over 3 rounds of play coupled with the fact that more army loss is statistically more likely challenging a neutral of 4 than a 1 or 2 creates a problem I think. Though the position allows for easier defense; players with 1s that obtain the bonus offset this with their army bonus and the likely hood that the player in the more easily defended location will attack at least one neutral of 4 and take a heavier hit than attacking three 1s.

Postby gimil on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:10 pm

Torter_of_Worlds wrote:Easier time positionally defending; however, a +2 or +3 army bonus over 3 rounds of play coupled with the fact that more army loss is statistically more likely challenging a neutral of 4 than a 1 or 2 creates a problem I think. Though the position allows for easier defense; players with 1s that obtain the bonus offset this with their army bonus and the likely hood that the player in the more easily defended location will attack at least one neutral of 4 and take a heavier hit than attacking three 1s.

This map was seriously paly tested by coleman and he assured everyone that there was no great advantage to the natives or europe due to the different set ups.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Torter_of_Worlds,

I map should tell you everything, but it shouldnt have to spell it out for you. If a map says bombardment then you should know what that means or go read it up on the instructions page, thats what its there for ;)

Inuit are as balanced as possible without any play testing, if it causes concerns after it goes live ill look into chaging it.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:11 pm

[quote="gimil"]Torter_of_Worlds,

I map should tell you everything, but it shouldnt have to spell it out for you. If a map says bombardment then you should know what that means or go read it up on the instructions page, thats what its there for ;)

Inuit are as balanced as possible without any play testing, if it causes concerns after it goes live ill look into chaging it.[/quote]

I think he was being sarcastic...
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Torter_of_Worlds on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:24 pm

heh - Thanks Ink; Gimil I was joking!

Postby gimil on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:00 pm

Torter_of_Worlds wrote:heh - Thanks Ink; Gimil I was joking!

bastard!

;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby edbeard on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:51 am

I don't know why but for some reason I thought the Natives were Empires and the Europeans were Kingdoms (possibly the explanation was different in an earlier version which I was thinking about).

Obviously though I was just confused and they are both empires so they both get the +1 for two territories within and there doesn't need to be any distinction made in the legend.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby asl80 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:17 am

A quick one on Graphics;

"Spanish" in the Carriebean seems missing, all the other empires have thier's named, how about the spanish colony too?
Lieutenant asl80

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:35 pm

The idea is very interesting... making necessary attack neutrals to grow up, not specific, but any neutrals... it will probably be fun with fog, lol.

Im just wondering if the goal is to create a fictional map... Holland never had a land portion like that in SA. And the Spanish empire is much smaller then what it was in reality. Maybe you could add a note that this is a fictional map (we wouldnt like to have children using it to study to history tests, lol)
Major Marvaddin

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas