Conquer Club

Poison Rome [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: POISON ROME [D.Gp.Gr.FF] V36(P28)

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 01, 2009 7:36 am

barterer2002 wrote:I've waited for 24+ hours for someone to defend Cairns here and nobody has. I will. Not because what's been said isn't truth because some of it is. I think that all the mapmakers can be a bit prickly about their maps-particularly in the final stages.

Of course they can. and i've seen it happen from most mapmakers on this site.

As far as criticism of his past maps, however, I will say that Cairns has created most of my favorite maps. I love the rail series-all three of them. Cairns Metro, for me at least, is a free flowing, classic style map in the best traditions of CC. In contast, some of his maps like Forbidden City and Waterloo offer extra challenges to those who want a more complicated map. They aren't for everyone and this one won't be either. I don't know if I'll like it or not yet. I'll have to play it a couple of times.

I have to question the process we have here. I don't have solutions only questions at this point. I understand the resistance of mapmakers to the current process. I know that it has worked in the past to an extent. I don't know if it still does though but I don't have a better solution.

On the flip side, it is often stated by mapmakers that they've had the map in the foundry process for several months without most of the community commenting. That is often taken as an abdication of the right of the community to make comments. It should not be. There are any number of reasons that the community does not comment. For one, there are usually twenty or more maps in one stage or another in the foundry process. For most non-foundry regulars, if they are going to comment in the foundry at all they need to pick and choose only a few to work on. Another issue is that many of us who do not make maps can't always make constructive criticisms of things like graphics. We just don't have the knowledge needed to do so. That doesn't mean that we don't want to help but I'm sure that many others feel as I do that the skills of the mapmakers are not close to our areas of expertise.

Well-balanced argument barterer2002. :)
I don't deny the right of people to come in and comment on my maps. But if a map gets towards finishing and no-one is giving positive feedback (especially the mods) as to how thing might be bettered, then as i stated before, you can hardly expect me to be receptive when those negative commentors come in at the last hour and take a massive dump on the map when they haven't bothered to contribute during development. If this is process that needs changing, then let it change, i'd be all for it. Because at the moment, the process isn't perfect, so don't expect me to be. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 01, 2009 7:45 am

sully800 wrote:
neanderpaul14 wrote:Amazing how quickly after these 2 attack posts that Cairns decided to take a break.

Perhaps it is that inability to take constructive criticism that has led to such a large quantity of unclear and rarely played maps.

Cairns has made some great maps, don't get me wrong, but graphically they often look very rushed and overly complicated for no reason. A map with the best or most unique gameplay won't get the credit it deserves if the routes and goals are unclear.

I'd hardly call a dumping on maps as being constructive criticism sully800, would you? And yes, i did get upset, because i expected more than that from MrBenn, but then i notice he is being attacked elsewhere, perhaps that say something also.

Yes i know (a thousand times) that my maps are not classics and they are hard, but last night i counted up the number of games active on all my maps -

Across 22 maps with great variety and indeed many being complicated - 1616 games active.

Doesn't that tell you something. Hardly rarely played, i'd think.

Oh, and i don't (and have stated this from the outset) develop my maps to be best on the block.
I offer them as variety for those who need something a little more challenging than the standard play.
Last edited by cairnswk on Tue May 05, 2009 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby sully800 on Fri May 01, 2009 1:04 pm

cairnswk wrote:Oh, and i don't (and have stated this from the outset) develop my maps to be best on the block.
I offer them as variety for those who need something a little more challenging than the standard play.

I want to point out that I really appreciate the variety of the gameplay in your maps cairns, and I think that is why they are a good addition to the site. However I still think that many of them are more confusing than they need to be (graphically) and don't easily convey the unique gameplay. The map itself might be fun, but if they are very hard to figure out you turn off a lot of potential players. It's true that you have consistent numbers of players on your maps, but I think you would have a much larger base of players if more care was taken in showing clear attack routes and making the gameplay more intuitive based on the layout. I would like to see a little more effort put into making a new type of gameplay while ALSO having it be the best on the block. :)

This is not a comment specifically about Poison Rome, and I know that in order to help this cause I in the future I need to speak up during the early stages of a map because that is where the general layout and game structure is conceived and it is nearly impossible to change later. It's just an opinion I wanted to share, but I know you were very frustrated at the recent backlash you received toward your maps, and rightfully so.
Major sully800

Postby brandoncfi on Mon May 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Bruceswar wrote:cairnswk - I wish you the best and a speedy return. I look forward to playing some of your maps.

Yes I came into the foundry hopefully to see one of your maps queched and I find this argument. I just want you to know cairns your maps make CC better
Highest point total 2774 and a rank of Colonel.
OSA of You
OSA Obsructing Your Sleep
GO STEELERS !!!
Cook brandoncfi

Postby InkL0sed on Mon May 04, 2009 3:00 pm

Sheesh. Stop commenting on a map out of laziness, and look what you get! Everything blows up in your face!

I'm sorry cairns... 8-[
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 05, 2009 3:15 am

Bruceswar wrote:cairnswk - I wish you the best and a speedy return. I look forward to playing some of your maps.

Thanks Bruce. I'll pull this back out of the Dead Projects Bin, and see if there is still any support for it. :)

brandoncfi wrote:...
Yes I came into the foundry hopefully to see one of your maps queched and I find this argument. I just want you to know cairns your maps make CC better

Thanks Brandoncfi :)

InkL0sed wrote:Sheesh. Stop commenting on a map out of laziness, and look what you get! Everything blows up in your face!
I'm sorry cairns... 8-[

I don't consider you've done anything wrong. I thought you had contributed well to the development of this. Therefore there is no wrong on your behalf.

I hope you all enjoy it if it finally gets through.
Private cairnswk

Re: POISON ROME [D.Gp.Gr] V36(P26) L/S/XML/Centering

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 05, 2009 3:21 am

I believe this was the last incarnation, before i got thrown off by some unkind comments and uni assignments.

Click image to enlarge.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... e_V36S.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... e_V36L.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/_poison_rome.xml
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 05, 2009 3:34 am

cairnswk wrote:...
Across 22 maps with great variety and indeed many being complicated - 1616 games active.
and i forgot to add there are 452 of games on my maps awaiting players. I'm not gloating, just adding further evidence. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: POISON ROME [D.Gp.Gr.FF] V36(P29)

Postby yeti_c on Tue May 05, 2009 4:23 am

Cairns - were there any specific issues brought up in the last few comments?

Do any of them need actioning?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 05, 2009 4:43 am

yeti_c wrote:Cairns - were there any specific issues brought up in the last few comments?

Do any of them need actioning?

C.

Not that i know of.....apart from the general feedback which was totally negative towards the entire map re complication and not being the best of my maps on the block.
I had fixed oaktown's small requests, but i wasn't going to fix anything else unless some constructive criticism was given. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Wed May 06, 2009 2:02 pm

Are the Gods the 4 cornered territories?
Captain Gilligan

Postby TaCktiX on Wed May 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Yes, they are. I guess assuming knowledge of Roman (read: hijacked Greek) mythology might be a smidge much. :D

As for the map, other than that little assumption we need to fix, I think it's quench-ready.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Re: POISON ROME [D.Gp.Gr] V36(P26) L/S/XML/Centering

Postby MrBenn on Wed May 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed May 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Yay, it's back! Well, Forza's checked this so…

I'll save you from the small co-ord issues, as there are so many. Here are the ones that really overlap matter (in order of importance) …

Small
Centering:
    *all good*
Names:
888 covers "G" on Germanicus
    move the name to the right (same thing on Aufidia Lucro applies
888 covers "O" on Gaius Octavius
    move the square to the left and the co-ord accordingly. (note: this one probably won't go entirely away, but just try to help?
888 covers "A" on Aufidia Lucro
    move the name to the right; if this doesn't do the job then you might have to move the co-ord but I think the name will be fine
888 covers "P" and "C" on Proconsul Caesar
    move the square to the left and the co-ord accordingly
Large
Centering:
  • Julia Major right 1px, down 1px
Names:
    *all good*
Good to see this back — after these are fixed then you get the last stamp and you should be god :)

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby TaCktiX on Wed May 06, 2009 2:47 pm

the.killing.44, emphasis added wrote:Good to see this back — after these are fixed then you get the last stamp and you should be god :)

The question is, of which pantheon.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby MrBenn on Wed May 06, 2009 3:24 pm

Cairns,

I'm sorry that my previous post in this thread was so critical, and that I did not take the time to reflect constructively. As I said in my PM, you have continued to stretch the boundaries and have helped to broaden the CC experience of many players - for that I applaud you. You have made a significant and positive impact to the foundry, and your voice/opinion is one that I hold in high regard.

As far as Poison Rome goes, I know I have broadly come late to the game, and fully appreciate the frustration that comes with that.

Here are some of my specific concerns:

1. Gods border Emperors but not each other. Other than the fact you've used gods and goddesses, I wonder if you could add a line of text by each of the temples for the gods saying something like 'CERES: goddess of Agriculture', 'MARS: god of War' 'JOVE: god of the Sky' 'JUNO: goddess of Fidelity'. I know there isn't much space, but even something small might help to affirm that the temples belong to the gods. An alternative option might be to ghost the image of a temple into the background of the explanatory text on the legend?

2. Adoption. Presumably adoption paths also act as attack routes? I don't know whether this needs to be made explicit or not? I'm not completely sold on the red colour, but perhaps nothing else quite looked right? A totally random idea might be to make them look a little mosaic-y? I'm aware that I haven't said anything particularly solid on this point, so feel free to overlook it.

3. Bombardments. It took me a while to locate the fig on Livia Drusilla. There is possibly space to add a second fig image by moving the army square to the right a little - this would help to draw attention to the fact she has many poisoned figs, as well as making it more visible? At the same time, it might be worth making the other figs very slightly smaller (as in a couple of pixels). I had a random idea for the poison bombardments too - the vial works for the attacker, but perhaps you could have a chalice with coloured liquid in it to represent the target, rather than a vial of what looks like a different poison? Alternatively a paler 'diluted' vial (of the same colour as the poisoner) might work for the target?

4. Cleopatra. There isn't anything on the legend to indicate why she is purple, which means that people are likely to assume that she plays a significant role gameplay-wise. Also, the Romans didn't have a numeral for 0 (which is the primary reason their numbering system didn't stand the test of time) and this detail grates when the rest of the map is so meticulously researched. An empty circle may work, although I'd be inclined to suggest a dash/hyphen.

5.The Family Unit Bonuses. The legend has a brighter orange than is used on the map - or it looks brighter than on the map. The main thing that bothers me, is that while I can work out who borders who, I want it to be much more obvious... Part of me wonders whether you could use slightly different coloured lines to represent each different family unit?? Or you could pick 4 slightly different colours to shade the lines?? I also wonder whether the Marriage symbol is really needed on the legend, as that could be implied from the diagram beside it in any case?

6. Miscellaneous Graphical Nitpicks. The box around Caesonia has a slight indent in it, which looks slightly odd, particularly as it's the only one like it (I think); I'd tweak it to make it completely square - like the box around Britanicus. The box around Sextus Julius Ceasar looks like it has half the roof missing. I know this intentional, but personally I think it looks incomplete. Finally, there appears to be slight inconsistencies in the edging around various boxes - compare Julia Livilla to Nero Ceasar right beneath it, or Castor Drusus to Tiberius Gemellus, for example.

I have now spent over an hour analysing the map, and I don't think it is actually as confusing as it appears to be at a first glance, although I still don't feel the gameplay is that intuitive. In general, the gameplay feels balanced, but I cannot fully get my head around all the overlapping bonuses. The graphics are of a high standard, and despite my concerns, I think the map is definitely worthy of the Final Forge.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 06, 2009 3:58 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Yay, it's back! Well, Forza's checked this so…

I'll save you from the small co-ord issues, as there are so many. Here are the ones that really overlap matter (in order of importance) …

Small
Centering:
    *all good*
Names:
888 covers "G" on Germanicus
    move the name to the right (same thing on Aufidia Lucro applies
888 covers "O" on Gaius Octavius
    move the square to the left and the co-ord accordingly. (note: this one probably won't go entirely away, but just try to help?
888 covers "A" on Aufidia Lucro
    move the name to the right; if this doesn't do the job then you might have to move the co-ord but I think the name will be fine
888 covers "P" and "C" on Proconsul Caesar
    move the square to the left and the co-ord accordingly
Large
Centering:
  • Julia Major right 1px, down 1px
Names:
    *all good*
Good to see this back — after these are fixed then you get the last stamp and you should be god :)

These will be worked on, but since there seems to be so many graphic changes coming up now, let's just start again. eh?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 06, 2009 5:16 pm

MrBenn wrote:Cairns,

I'm sorry that my previous post in this thread was so critical, and that I did not take the time to reflect constructively. As I said in my PM, you have continued to stretch the boundaries and have helped to broaden the CC experience of many players - for that I applaud you. You have made a significant and positive impact to the foundry, and your voice/opinion is one that I hold in high regard.

As far as Poison Rome goes, I know I have broadly come late to the game, and fully appreciate the frustration that comes with that.

Thanks MrBenn, :) I hope we can move forward and be mindful that i think everyone who comes into this place hopes to be positive and achieve something for the site, and that we are human, we all make mistakes and sometimes events like early forging (not your issue here) of maps and not giving enough feedback should be done before maps make it into FF. I hope something towards this, perhaps some announcement on the home page like "whatever map nearing FF, your comments are needed" would be pertinent to getting people into the foundry to make comments at the appropriate time and not when the map reaches FF. :)

Here are some of my specific concerns:

1. Gods border Emperors but not each other. Other than the fact you've used gods and goddesses, I wonder if you could add a line of text by each of the temples for the gods saying something like 'CERES: goddess of Agriculture', 'MARS: god of War' 'JOVE: god of the Sky' 'JUNO: goddess of Fidelity'. I know there isn't much space, but even something small might help to affirm that the temples belong to the gods. An alternative option might be to ghost the image of a temple into the background of the explanatory text on the legend?

Yes i'm putting a God temple in the legend to cover here. I'd like the idea of the education bit but the map is already heavily crowded and i don't think extra text would add aesthetics.

2. Adoption. Presumably adoption paths also act as attack routes? I don't know whether this needs to be made explicit or not? I'm not completely sold on the red colour, but perhaps nothing else quite looked right? A totally random idea might be to make them look a little mosaic-y? I'm aware that I haven't said anything particularly solid on this point, so feel free to overlook it.

I've changed the text to read:
Use for attack. Family member on other end not part of family bonus

3. Bombardments. It took me a while to locate the fig on Livia Drusilla. There is possibly space to add a second fig image by moving the army square to the right a little - this would help to draw attention to the fact she has many poisoned figs, as well as making it more visible? At the same time, it might be worth making the other figs very slightly smaller (as in a couple of pixels). I had a random idea for the poison bombardments too - the vial works for the attacker, but perhaps you could have a chalice with coloured liquid in it to represent the target, rather than a vial of what looks like a different poison? Alternatively a paler 'diluted' vial (of the same colour as the poisoner) might work for the target?

Adding a second fig to Livia Drusilla and indeed chalices and changing colours i think might only add to confusion. Thank you for the offer though.

4. Cleopatra. There isn't anything on the legend to indicate why she is purple, which means that people are likely to assume that she plays a significant role gameplay-wise. Also, the Romans didn't have a numeral for 0 (which is the primary reason their numbering system didn't stand the test of time) and this detail grates when the rest of the map is so meticulously researched. An empty circle may work, although I'd be inclined to suggest a dash/hyphen.

I think that most players would know that Cleopatra is not part of the "Roman Royal Family" but indeed Egyptian, and that purple represents Royal purple, that's why it's different, and it also draws attention to the fact that somethign different is happening here. However, she is integral to this whole story and was included as an attack route from Caesar to Antony.
As for the zero, there was some discussion some pages back about using zero and to co-relate with the rest of the family bonuses, zero was the best alternative to use as players recognise it as being 'nul', while the other roman numerals give flavour to the map and period.

5.The Family Unit Bonuses. The legend has a brighter orange than is used on the map - or it looks brighter than on the map. The main thing that bothers me, is that while I can work out who borders who, I want it to be much more obvious... Part of me wonders whether you could use slightly different coloured lines to represent each different family unit?? Or you could pick 4 slightly different colours to shade the lines?? I also wonder whether the Marriage symbol is really needed on the legend, as that could be implied from the diagram beside it in any case?

In the legend, i've fixed the colours to coincide with the rest of the map.
I am not wanting to change the colours of these connection, there was large debate in the Foundry to get this to the stage it is, and those who participated at the time were happy with the result.
I think the marriage symbol is needed as it clearly shows who married who. Implication from the diagram does not cover who married who in my mind, and i think it plays an important part of the game strategy if you read the legend left to right.
I applaud the offer of the four color therom, and understand it (although it took some time to read just the introduction). While it is pertinent in many situations, there are those situations outside of it's theory and this is one of them. I think to add more colour to a map that is intended to look something akin to white marble/stucco etc, would be horrific for Rome. There are certainly more than four colors in this map when consideration is given to the shades of white/grey, green, reds, oranges and other small touches.

6. Miscellaneous Graphical Nitpicks. The box around Caesonia has a slight indent in it, which looks slightly odd, particularly as it's the only one like it (I think); I'd tweak it to make it completely square - like the box around Britanicus.

Done.

The box around Sextus Julius Ceasar looks like it has half the roof missing. I know this intentional, but personally I think it looks incomplete.

More roof added.

Finally, there appears to be slight inconsistencies in the edging around various boxes - compare Julia Livilla to Nero Ceasar right beneath it, or Castor Drusus to Tiberius Gemellus, for example.

I have now spent over an hour analysing the map, and I don't think it is actually as confusing as it appears to be at a first glance, although I still don't feel the gameplay is that intuitive. In general, the gameplay feels balanced, but I cannot fully get my head around all the overlapping bonuses. The graphics are of a high standard, and despite my concerns, I think the map is definitely worthy of the Final Forge.
[/quote]
intuitive "able to understand or know something without conscious reasoning"....this map was never meant to be intuitive, MrBenn. As you know i don't always make simple play classic style LCD/KISS maps. I like to offer something that people can chew over and have challenge from to get their brains thinking.
The overlapping bonuses simply mean that these people/terts will be highly targeted to gain the family bonus, and in some respects will cause some bottle-necking. So strategically placement of armies will have to occur to overcome this.
Thanks for spending the time btw. I've also spent a lot of time on it trying to give people what they wanted (within reason). :)

So here is Version 37.

I have moved various army boxes around as suggested by .44 and these will show in centering tests.
If there are no more graphic changes, i will again split the map and create the large and then work on the xml centering.

Private cairnswk

Re: POISON ROME [D.Gp.Gr.FF] V37(P30)

Postby MrBenn on Wed May 06, 2009 5:26 pm

I know there was discussion a while back about Julius Caesar being a Dictator rather than Emperor, but the legend says that the gods border emperors, and there are bound to be some people who can't work out the this rule is also referring to Julius Caesar....

I think that's pretty much it from me, apart from:
Finally, there appears to be slight inconsistencies in the edging around various boxes - compare Julia Livilla to Nero Ceasar right beneath it, or Castor Drusus to Tiberius Gemellus, for example.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 06, 2009 6:00 pm

MrBenn wrote:I know there was discussion a while back about Julius Caesar being a Dictator rather than Emperor, but the legend says that the gods border emperors, and there are bound to be some people who can't work out the this rule is also referring to Julius Caesar....

I think that's pretty much it from me, apart from:

OK MrBenn, i'll attend to these issues, probably addition Dictators to the legend text to cover JC in there. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Thu May 07, 2009 5:31 am

Something about the new "adoption" text makes it sound 1 way... (From "parent" to "child")

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 08, 2009 2:48 am

yeti_c wrote:Something about the new "adoption" text makes it sound 1 way... (From "parent" to "child")

C.

I understand it of course, hehe! but do you have an alternative to offer?
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Fri May 08, 2009 5:09 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Something about the new "adoption" text makes it sound 1 way... (From "parent" to "child")

C.

I understand it of course, hehe! but do you have an alternative to offer?

"Adoptive parents and children border each other but does not form part of family bonus".

Or

"Adoptions are not part of family bonuses" (Do we need to state they border - WTF would the line be for otherwise?)

Or

"Family Units don't contain adoptions"
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Fri May 08, 2009 5:58 am

yeti_c wrote:"Family Unit Bonuses don't contain adoptions"
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 08, 2009 8:49 am

MrBenn wrote:
yeti_c wrote:"Family Unit Bonuses don't contain adoptions"

done.

MrBenn wrote:Finally, there appears to be slight inconsistencies in the edging around various boxes - compare Julia Livilla to Nero Ceasar right beneath it, or Castor Drusus to Tiberius Gemellus, for example.

I don't see any issues with Julila Livilla and Nero Caesar, those boxes apart from size are fine and have the same inner bevel sloping right. Keeping them at irregular size creates flavour for the map so that everyone doesn't live in the same size house -> Yes?
For Castor Drusus and Tiberius Gemellus, as you can probably notice the bevel grey area surrounds the marriage symbol on all marriages. So some differentiation for those who are not married is not unsuitable for the map.

Please refresh to see V37 again with these above changes.

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/_poison_rome.xml
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas