Conquer Club

Lunar War [GP, G, X] files on p.1

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map of the moon

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Wow, thanks mr. baron! That's very helpful. You don't by any chance know where 13 would have landed if it had landed?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:25 pm

I have a feeling almost all the information you need about Nasa missions can be found at nasa.gov (It's a good website)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby sully800 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:31 pm

One of the most notable features of the moon is craters, which happen to be the perfect shape and a good size for army shadows...
Major sully800

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:48 pm

sully800 wrote:One of the most notable features of the moon is craters, which happen to be the perfect shape and a good size for army shadows...

Not a bad idea...

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:41 pm

I just went through NASA's site and couldn't find anything on Apollo 13. I guess it is back to Googling! As for the font, I'm not crazy about any of them. I'll post something this weekend with some of the fonts I have. In the meantime natty, if you want to get a rough draft up that would be great. I wouldn't make the moon any bigger just make the canvas area the 840x800 so that we can put the legend and game play instructions in. Use the first pic you have as a guide for the territories.

I'll continue to find out where Apollo 13 was supposed to have landed. I'll get back with you on which army circle/oval/rectangle/square I like better. I will also see if I can find a moon map that has a few more names on it.

Edit: I like the top right Army rectangle since it seems to fit the theme we're going after. I say let's roll with that one!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:07 pm

OK, gotcha... It's 6 am and I've been working on my Nordic Countries map all night, so I think I'll sleep a bit and then start working on drawing the moon, with fresh brains... ;)

Postby RedBaron0 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:56 am

Apollo 13 was supposed to land in the Fra Mauro highlands, same as where Apollo 14 eventually landed. 14 basically took over 13's mission.

Bit of trivia I know(no google, scouts honor) Apollo 13 launched on April 11th, 1970 at 1:13 local time(13:13 military time) If you write the date in number form (4-11-70) the numbers when added together equal 13. (4+1+1+7+0=13) No mission in NASA's history had ever held the designation "13" the previous program, Gemini only got to 12. On 13th, the day before the the mission was due to land on the moon a explosion rocked the spacecraft. Ironically the attempt at a reverse black cat the mission by laughing in the face of the unlucky #13, backfired... It is unknown the exact cause of the explosion during trans-lunar insertion, but most attribute the explosion to a shorted wire that sparked near the oxygen tanks causing an explosion when Jack Swigert flipped the switch to "stir" the oxygen tanks.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby natty dread on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:12 am

Thanks for the info baron! So, I guess we'll only have 6 apollo landing sites then. I guess we'll add Russia and China there somewhere...

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Thank you RB0 for that good info!!

6 Apollo landing sites is okay, besides we'll have to have room for the other 3 countries. Maybe we should only show the last two Apollo sites? Then we would have room for the other 6 landing sites. 2 each for Russia, China and Japan. That would give us the 8 starting positions we need.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:33 pm

Hm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't there be more than 8 starting points? If you had for example 16 starting points coded, then in 8 player game each would get 2 starting points, and in 3 player games each would get 5....

If I'm right about that, then I see no reason to limit the number of starting points to 8 just because 8 is the maximum number of players...

I'd say, 6 apollo sites + china, japan & russia = 9 starting points, if that's possible with the XML.

Or, 6 apollo sites + 2 each for others = 15 starting points. Why not? :)

ps. I haven't got much done on the moon image today. I was going to, but I got so busy with the nordic countries again... I guess you could say that map is in a critical phase at the moment.

Tomorrow I'll only work on the moon map, until I get a draft done. I promise.

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:46 pm

natty_dread wrote:Hm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't there be more than 8 starting points? If you had for example 16 starting points coded, then in 8 player game each would get 2 starting points, and in 3 player games each would get 5....

If I'm right about that, then I see no reason to limit the number of starting points to 8 just because 8 is the maximum number of players...

I'd say, 6 apollo sites + china, japan & russia = 9 starting points, if that's possible with the XML.

Or, 6 apollo sites + 2 each for others = 15 starting points. Why not? :)

ps. I haven't got much done on the moon image today. I was going to, but I got so busy with the nordic countries again... I guess you could say that map is in a critical phase at the moment.

Tomorrow I'll only work on the moon map, until I get a draft done. I promise.

Well duh! :oops: You're right, I don't know what I was thinking!! Yes 2 staring points would be a good idea. I'd say go with the 16 starting points. If I can only find a good image of the dark side with names of craters and such, we could do the WHOLE moon! I'll keep looking. That way we can spread the starting points out.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Hmm... All dark side territories could have a -1 decay because astronauts will stumble in the darkness... but there would also be some real good bonuses on the dark side :)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:07 pm

natty_dread wrote:Hmm... All dark side territories could have a -1 decay because astronauts will stumble in the darkness... but there would also be some real good bonuses on the dark side :)

Y'know, the 'Dark Side' isn't much darker than the Light Side. It's just the hemisphere facing away from Earth -- each point still spends about half of its time exposed the sun and half of its time not. The far side only corresponds to the actual dark hemisphere once a month, during a full moon.
Last edited by Evil DIMwit on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Here's a link that has some landing sites on, not just the Apollo landings. We could use a couple of these. Hmmm ... not what I just read. Follow the link.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:33 am

Yeah, those landing sites would definitely be useful.

Postby natty dread on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Ok, just to show what I've got so far... this is by no means finished yet, but it's a start.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Looks good, I like it. Don't forget we're going to need room for the legend and such. DO you think on the next version you can make put the canvas up to 840x800 and then center the moon top middle. Then the legend can go on the bottom. We can put the title across the top, kind of like my rough draft. Just an idea.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:24 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Looks good, I like it. Don't forget we're going to need room for the legend and such. DO you think on the next version you can make put the canvas up to 840x800 and then center the moon top middle. Then the legend can go on the bottom. We can put the title across the top, kind of like my rough draft. Just an idea.

Yeah, I'll do that.

Hey, about the territories... so we're going with these on this image?

Click image to enlarge.

Could you start designing the gameplay, like the connections of the territories, bonus areas, and places for army circles, and mark them on top of this image? I could then use the image as a guide to draw the territories on the map.

Postby natty dread on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:43 pm

OK I couldn't resist posting this. Here's what I've got so far. It's not quite a working draft yet so I'm not posting it on the first post...

Click image to enlarge.

To do:
- choose another font for the territory names. This one didn't work out as well as I thought (too hard to tell r:s from p:s)
- connections (for craters), borders (for seas)
- mountains
- legend
- background. I was thinking of stars... ;)

Postby fumandomuerte on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:14 pm

Don't forget to include R. Daneel Olivaw's secret moon base :mrgreen: !
Nah, seriously, I love the moon idea, I hope to keep track over the progress on this one.
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:21 pm

Like the font title, but not so much it anywhere else on the map...

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Yeah it was already decided to change it.

Postby natty dread on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:13 am

Here's the latest:

Click image to enlarge.

Isaiah: we need to work out the bonus system. PM me with ideas. If you have a plan ready, then use this image to mark it down and pm it to me...

Also: I left all the territory names the same colour, so they'll be easy to recolour. We can use the text colour to indicate bonus areas, if we are going to use bonus areas...

Also, I left the landing site labels the old font, it somehow seems to fit them.

Postby ender516 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:31 pm

This is looking pretty good, but the R in the font on those Russian landing sites is awful. I know it's an R, but my eyes keep saying "P.".

Have you dropped the Chinese from this? I would think that the taikonauts would be there before the Japanese.

If you want more landing sites, you could go with unmanned hard and soft landers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing
and the cancelled Apollo 18, 19, and 20 missions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canceled_Apollo_missions.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:36 pm

ender516 wrote:This is looking pretty good, but the R in the font on those Russian landing sites is awful. I know it's an R, but my eyes keep saying "P.".

Have you dropped the Chinese from this? I would think that the taikonauts would be there before the Japanese.

If you want more landing sites, you could go with unmanned hard and soft landers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing
and the cancelled Apollo 18, 19, and 20 missions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canceled_Apollo_missions.

Thank you ender! Yes natty is going to change the font. We are adding in the Chinese as well as well as a couple of other items. Natty should be posting the new version later today, I'm gathering!
Lieutenant isaiah40

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas