Conquer Club

North America 2.0 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby haha on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:03 pm

we dont need two days i want to play it
Brigadier haha

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:04 pm

And to start things off...

---Is there a way to perhaps soften the rough edges of the borders? They seem jagged, and might look more professional if they are blended and smooth.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby haha on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:15 pm

i think there should be like a box or somthing behind the key
Brigadier haha

Postby charlieo on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:49 pm

haha wrote:i think there should be like a box or somthing behind the key

I agree.

Also, Louisiana looks a bit wierd...
Last edited by charlieo on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class charlieo

Postby DublinDoogey on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:49 pm

Is there a way to perhaps soften the rough edges of the borders? They seem jagged, and might look more professional if they are blended and smooth.

1 pixel gausian blur, does the trick doesn't it?

i think there should be like a box or somthing behind the key

A good suggestion, but I'd rather the legend be downplayed, so that it doesn't draw attention away from the map. I will, however, wait and see what other clubbers have to say on the maatter.

edited to correct tags
Last edited by DublinDoogey on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby sportsdd2 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:52 pm

I like the key the way it is but maybe space it just a wee bit. But everything else looks good
907 sportsdd2 1401 191 Image 10-0 United States 2/5/07
Corporal 1st Class sportsdd2

Postby haha on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:55 pm

yea
Brigadier haha

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:11 pm

DublinDoogey wrote:
Is there a way to perhaps soften the rough edges of the borders? They seem jagged, and might look more professional if they are blended and smooth.

1 pixel gausian blur, does the trick doesn't it?

[img]i%20think%20there%20should%20be%20like%20a%20box%20or%20somthing%20behind%20the%20key[/img]

A good suggestion, but I'd rather the legend be downplayed, so that it doesn't draw attention away from the map. I will, however, wait and see what other clubbers have to say on the maatter.
Best key on the site. Simple. I like it.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby garionoldwolf on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:50 pm

isn't French Canada a part of the whole country canada? if so shouldn't the one continent have a diff name then Canada? Like how you have Eastern USA, Central USA, and Western USA?
Cook garionoldwolf

Postby DublinDoogey on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:02 pm

isn't French Canada a part of the whole country canada? if so shouldn't the one continent have a diff name then Canada? Like how you have Eastern USA, Central USA, and Western USA?

You're correct in part, but it wouldn't really make sense to name it Western Canada, or English Canada. Because there are only two continents making up political Canada, I've decided to make the red one simply Canada. Also, it won't be named Western Canada because I already have Western United States, and it would most likely cause some confusion.
Last edited by DublinDoogey on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:18 pm

The problem with the legend is not how its simple, is the position of the names, irregular sometimes, nearer than they should, ...
You have many free space... add some art to the legend and the whole map. Use it better.
Major Marvaddin

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:38 pm

DublinDoogey wrote:A good suggestion, but I'd rather the legend be downplayed, so that it doesn't draw attention away from the map. I will, however, wait and see what other clubbers have to say on the maatter

---I've always believed the legend is perhaps the most important visual on the map, so I'm not sure about down playing it. Sure, you can make it simple, but make it mesh with the map as a whole.

--Andy

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:15 pm

Personally, I think a simple legend like you have fits fine with the style of the rest of the map, although I agree with the folks who advocate spacing it out a little more.

It'd probably look equally nice to have a solid-colored rectangle with a simple border behind it. But I think there are people around who have serious adverse reactions to rectangles, so I don't know where that would end.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby HighBorn on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:18 pm

man 60 territorys.... wow crazy... cant wait
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby DublinDoogey on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:23 pm

:arrow: I added a small whirlpool looking shape behind the legend.
I'm still deciding what I think about it too, it draws attention to the legend, but I'm not sure if I like its look yet.

:arrow: I spaced out the legend a bit.

I'll give the desires for artwork on the map consideration, but I'd still rather not have superfluous stuff on this map in particular. It works for some maps, but not for others, and I think that this map is of the latter category.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby sportsdd2 on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:29 pm

Thats better looks good. Play ya in it when its done?
907 sportsdd2 1401 191 Image 10-0 United States 2/5/07
Corporal 1st Class sportsdd2

Postby Banana Stomper on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:30 pm

the legend could be bigger, and i think it would be better as such.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby Jota on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:52 pm

I liked it better without the whirlpool. Also, maybe it's just an optical illusion, but it seems almost like it's more scrunched up than before... did you make the font smaller?
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:07 pm

Jota wrote:I liked it better without the whirlpool. Also, maybe it's just an optical illusion, but it seems almost like it's more scrunched up than before... did you make the font smaller?
I agree.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:31 pm

Well lets see...

---I think as Jota said a simple gray slate would look quite fine, and the fonts back to their original size.

---Also maybe look into making 'Bonuses' bigger, and perhaps a different color due to white being underneath it.

--Andy

Postby Mr. K on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:13 am

I like the simple legend, but no one has suggested what I think really needs to be done about it to make it look more natural... I think it might be helpful if you lined up all the continent names and all the values seperately. That would make it easier to read and less "scrunchy" looking.

Arctic Circle...........3
Canada.................7
French Canada.......3
Western USA..........4
Central USA...........6
Eastern USA...........5
Mexico...................4
The Tropics............3

(only without the periods, I think you get the picture).

Apart from that, I am REALLY enjoying this map. I can't wait to play it.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby gavin_sidhu on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:29 am

Its good but the rivers remove from its visual appeal.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby DublinDoogey on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:34 pm

I think it might be helpful if you lined up all the continent names and all the values seperately.

I tried that and it didn't look very good with these, some names are so long, and others are so short that it looked too choppy.

maybe it's just an optical illusion, but it seems almost like it's more scrunched up than before... did you make the font smaller?

nope, just an optical illusion

I sort of got rid of the whirlpool thing, I changed it to white with an inside shadow. I tried a pure ellipse around it, and it didn't look very good, so I kept the ripple effect. It seems to blend in better if it as a wavy feel to it.

I made the word 'bonuses' bigger and reversed the colors.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby kevinc on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:50 pm

You definately do need to line up the names as suggested. Even if it looks odd, it's definately the best way to lay out that kind of data. Currently it very difficult to read.

Also, I would ditch the graphic behind the legend too. It hinders legibility. That area should be clear and uncluttered. The graphic behind it adds nothing ot the overall design. Your map is nice and well made, the focus should be on that, and the legend should as clear as possible.

All the best!
Last edited by kevinc on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal kevinc

Postby mrdexter on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:58 pm

kevinc wrote:You definately do need to line up the names as suggested. Even if it looks odd, it's definately the best way to lay out that kind of data. Currently it very difficult to read.

Agree totally.

kevinc wrote:Also, I would ditch the graphic behind the legend too. It hinders legibility. That area shoul dbe clear and uncluttered. The graphic behind it adds nothing ot the overall design. Your map is nice and well made, the focus should be on that, and the legend should as clear as possible.

Disagree strongly
Positive: Great guy, will always play to his best. Honourable and fun to play with as well. You know you're in for a rough time playing mrdexter :) Game 31384 Haydena
Positive: Mr D is the golden child of CC, if we had to elect a king he'd get my vote! Game 76700 silus
Sergeant 1st Class mrdexter

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas