Conquer Club

Celtic 7 Nations v4.0 [Quenched]!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Celtic 7 Nations v3.6

Postby ender516 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Well, the fancy initials would have less effect on the legibility of the English bonus names than they do on the Gaelic names, since even without the first letter, the name is more recognizable. Your call, though. I may not get to the XML update tonight.

EDIT:
Well, I did get to it. This new version uses Gaelic names for the bonus zones and corrects the spelling of Isle of Man and changes Porhoet to Redones as seen on the latest map.

Celtic_7_Nations.1.7.xml
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby The Bison King on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:51 pm

ender516 wrote:Well, the fancy initials would have less effect on the legibility of the English bonus names than they do on the Gaelic names, since even without the first letter, the name is more recognizable. Your call, though. I may not get to the XML update tonight.

EDIT:
Well, I did get to it. This new version uses Gaelic names for the bonus zones and corrects the spelling of Isle of Man and changes Porhoet to Redones as seen on the latest map.

Celtic_7_Nations.1.7.xml

That was fast! thank Ender516.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:23 am

It's getting worse, I think you're better off with out the fancy letters.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby ender516 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:39 am

Maybe it's time for a poll on the fancy initials. Frankly, I like them, with the possible exception of the A for Alba.

Postby tokle on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 am

The Bison King wrote:So I went with the Gaelic names after all. I confess it just makes more sense. I'm also sticking with the roman names for the non-playable area's, and I asked a friend of mine whose a history major, and his dads a history professor, they definitely called those regions Gaul and Brittania.

I'm a history professor too. I do feel like I know a bit of what I'm talking about. Britannia was the name the Romans used for all the British isles. Gaul was the name the Germans (in a modern English translation, I belive) used for the lands inhabited by latinized Celts, which kind of fits with the area it's used for here.

About the capital letters. I reckon they look quite good, but to me i seems a bit heavy handed to have both the small map to indicate where the bonus regions are, and the bonus written seperately. The simplest solution, to me, would be to write the bonuses on the small map.
ImageImage
Major tokle

Re: Celtic 7 Nations v3.7

Postby The Bison King on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:46 am

About the capital letters. I reckon they look quite good, but to me i seems a bit heavy handed to have both the small map to indicate where the bonus regions are, and the bonus written seperately. The simplest solution, to me, would be to write the bonuses on the small map.

I don't see why this wouldn't work. Sure it makes the legend a little redundant but it's what I did on on Thyseneal, and no one seemed to complain then. I also added the english names into the large mini map.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby paulk on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:22 pm

I must say that I would prefer if the map only had the Celtic names.
Also, the bonuses only need to be shown on the mini map.
The declaration of bonuses in the lower middle of the map seem unnecessary.

Now I have a suggestion and I am sorry if I am stating something that already has been discussed and rejected. I personally think the map seem a bit small and think that it could be interesting if you divided the waters into sections without bonuses, just like you were putting boats out. Possibly with a loss of troops in certain areas since you would not have a large troop sitting in the middle of the ocean for years in real life. It would add to the attack routes just as attacks by sea is more optional than from land.

I'd like to see a sea with 1's, 2's and 3's where your troops would not occupy any area they crossed.
For example if the sea between two land areas had 3 water-regions to cross: Then you had to beat the neutrals (just like beating the elements) and when you move from one water-region to another the one behind you closed up to become the neutral number again. This way an army could if lucky cross the sea without any losses, or loose all troops trying if unlucky.
Last edited by paulk on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major paulk

Postby The Bison King on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:29 pm

I must say that I would prefer if the map only had the Celtic names.

Are you refering to the English names that appear above the bonuses in the large mini map? Why does that bother you? It doesn't affect the map at all and won't even appear in the XML. It's there for people who don't know much about Celtic culture and might be interested in it after playing this map.

Also, the bonuses only need to be shown on the mini map.

I know but I really really like them and I've been fighting for them for a really long time now. Plus there would be a big ugly empty space if I took them out.

Now I have a suggestion and I am sorry if I am stating something that already has been discussed and rejected. I personally think the map seem a bit small and think that it could be interesting if you divided the waters into sections without bonuses, just like you were putting boats out. Possibly with a loss of troops in certain areas since you would not have a large troop sitting in the middle of the ocean for years in real life. It would add to the attack routes just as attacks by sea is more optional than from land.

Yes we actually did cover this a Long long time ago, I rejected this idea.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby paulk on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:37 pm

The Bison King wrote:Are you refering to the English names that appear above the bonuses in the large mini map? Why does that bother you?

I just think it would look better without :)
Major paulk

Postby The Bison King on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:49 pm

paulk wrote:
The Bison King wrote:Are you refering to the English names that appear above the bonuses in the large mini map? Why does that bother you?

I just think it would look better without :)

Well it's only on the large, and most people only play on the small any way. Consider it an easter egg, a little something extra for people who are looking for it.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby army of nobunaga on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:52 pm

the map looks great to me. from style to potential gameplay.
I do think that maps of this region are overdone on CC though, so I dont have a lot of personal interest in it. Unless the gameplay is absolutely incredible, this will be a 5 wins and buhby for me.

But once again, it looks very nice. I like the style and looks even more than with your Cali map man.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby The Bison King on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:54 pm

But once again, it looks very nice. I like the style and looks even more than with your Cali map man.

Thanks but hopefully I can change your opinion when California hit's graphics 8-)

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby army of nobunaga on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:02 pm

yeah Im sure you will... I would like to see beach balls and surfers and hollywood signs on that map though

:D

on this one, Im not sure why you are recieving flack, I lOVE how you restated the bonuses... I FRIGGIN HATE maps that I need to squint my eyes and read a book on the bonus system like in umm.. well know map names.

but i love that you restated it.

To me what makes a great map are
1=fun themed
2) graphics
3) simple gameplay with a few deep innovative features.

This looks like that type of map except #3 :o ... duck and cover for the win
:mrgreen:

anyway good show man. you really have some graphics taleant
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Hopscotcher on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:59 am

This looks REALLY nice!
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby cairnswk on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:17 am

The Bison King...very nice indeed. I won't comment on gameplay as that is not really my fortƩ.
But a couple of items if i may, and sorry as these might seem really picky and if these have been already mentioned.
1. the top left and right ornamentals...appear to not have the same space on top as on the sides
2. the small s on nation in the title is not the same as the rest of the letters
3. since Gaul is not really required as a bonus area, why not make it the same size as Britannia, it just really stands out way above what it is meant to identify.
4. personally i'd change the border around the mini-map to make it either smaller in size (as it stands out quite glaringly) or change the border style itself and make it the same perhaps as the top corners ornaments...then give the mini-map border the same space from the map edge as the top ornaments. An observation...i noticed that there is no main theme running in the map for the "extra" bits, and you kind of need that from a design viewpoint to bring the map "together"
5. I'd soften also the colour of the dragons on the title to make them more part of the legend/title.
6. Ender516 text is not the same size as yours...it looks squashed under the wieght of Stonehenge.
7. it might look a little tidier if you line up the +bonus numbers in Gaul with a right text align to give that right side a straight edge like the left side has. this would then be consistent with the sides of the mini-map....just means some space between names and bonuses.
8.very nice colours, i like that.
9. third item undr title is smaller in size than the top two. since they are part of the same list, they really should be the same size for consistency.
10. i don't have any issues with the text names on the small map...i'd find them easy enough in the drop lists.
Your map, your choice. These would just give a little polish in my opinion. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DubWarrior on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:06 am

cairnswk wrote:
2. the small s on nation in the title is not the same as the rest of the letters

5. I'd soften also the colour of the dragons on the title to make them more part of the legend/title.

I love it...really.
Nice theme and story, solid gameplay, stunning graphics.
To me it looks like the only thing need to be done is bring some elements a bit together.
I like the gradient-feel in the Seven Nations, wel done! Why are those S's not the same size?
I know you put a lot of work in the cerning and other small detailed stuff concerning all the fonts, but i still think the 'seven' and 'nations' are standing to far of each other. I don't have a problem if they cover the transparant emblem under it.
I agree also with the color of the dragons.
Sorry to mention all the old stuff.

and anyway= =D> =D> =D>
for doing an 3.7 as a final map (others need a V.39.99 :lol: )
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby ustus on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:02 am

out of curiosity, should it be Giants' Causeway or Giant's Causeway? It looks like it should be possessive, not plural. Also, there shouldn't be a comma between it and the phrase "belongs to no bonus." I think I saw something else that just bugged me, but can't seem to find it, so I think I might be wrong. Either way, only complaints I have are grammatical in origin, so check all your writing over again in case I missed something, those are the ones I saw.

Map looks great, nice and simple, the kind of map I'll need to at least try out!
Corporal ustus

Postby tokle on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:29 am

army of nobunaga wrote:on this one, Im not sure why you are recieving flack, I lOVE how you restated the bonuses... I FRIGGIN HATE maps that I need to squint my eyes and read a book on the bonus system like in umm.. well know map names.

I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you explain it a bit more clearly? Why would writing the bonus twice make it any clearer to read?

The Bison King wrote:
paulk wrote:Also, the bonuses only need to be shown on the mini map.

I know but I really really like them and I've been fighting for them for a really long time now. Plus there would be a big ugly empty space if I took them out.

This is true. and a good point. There needs to be something there, so it might as well be this.
By the way, it seems to me that the colour of the A in Alba is wrong. Is it not supposed to be the same colour as the fill on the main map?
ImageImage
Major tokle

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 am

tokle wrote:
army of nobunaga wrote:on this one, Im not sure why you are recieving flack, I lOVE how you restated the bonuses... I FRIGGIN HATE maps that I need to squint my eyes and read a book on the bonus system like in umm.. well know map names.

I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you explain it a bit more clearly? Why would writing the bonus twice make it any clearer to read?

The Bison King wrote:

This is true. and a good point. There needs to be something there, so it might as well be this.
By the way, it seems to me that the colour of the A in Alba is wrong. Is it not supposed to be the same colour as the fill on the main map?

Because there is a picture for picture people.. and there are words for words people.

He also needs to fill space or It will look like crap. The only other way to fill that space is to write some celtic history crap or something there.

I just dont think It looks bad at all. But on the otherhand it doesnt matter to me. I suggest if you want him to remove it, you give him Ideas to fill taht space... its the whole build up something rather than say [I dont like it[ and tear it down.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby tokle on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:00 am

army of nobunaga wrote:
tokle wrote:

The Bison King wrote:

Because there is a picture for picture people.. and there are words for words people.

He also needs to fill space or It will look like crap. The only other way to fill that space is to write some celtic history crap or something there.

I just dont think It looks bad at all. But on the otherhand it doesnt matter to me. I suggest if you want him to remove it, you give him Ideas to fill taht space... its the whole build up something rather than say [I dont like it[ and tear it down.

But there are words on the picture, so the words people get it twice over. I don't see how it makes a difference.

It looks good the way it is. I agree with your point on that. Unless we have something to replace it with, it should be left as is.
ImageImage
Major tokle

Re: Celtic 7 Nations v3.9

Postby The Bison King on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Thanks for the comments guy's I took a lot of them into consideration. Especially thanks for the grammatical call outs I always miss a few of those

I'm aware that the S in nations is smaller than the rest of the word. I did that intentionally because I thought it would balance it to the word seven and make it look better. If it just looks weird I'll match it to the same size but I think it achieves the effect it was supposed to.
Last edited by The Bison King on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sergeant The Bison King

Re: Celtic 7 Nations v3.8

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:28 pm

BK, you could add some sort of Rune bonus too... put a rune in key spots and have like a city bonus for connecting the different runes..

then you could use the extra space if you took out one of the bonus legends and use it for a rune legend.

I dont even know if celts used runes though I think they did have symbols as I recall getting a celtic antique as a gift once and it had a shit load of symbols on it...

i dunno.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby ender516 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 pm

I hadn't noticed the S, but now that it has been pointed out, I'd have to say "it just looks weird." I have a feeling to make the words look right, you may have to reposition or reduce the medallion so that it does not separate the words "Seven Nations", which can then be centered as a unit under "Celtic".

Postby The Bison King on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 pm

BK, you could add some sort of Rune bonus too... put a rune in key spots and have like a city bonus for connecting the different runes..

Nah, I'm past that, sorry.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Dont say you are sorry, I dont care.. lol

just tossing out ideas.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas