Conquer Club

Eight Thoughts [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Coleman on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:44 pm

Oh whoops, i thought 1 was original. I've PMed Andy so hopefully he'll delete it and I can remake.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Lone.prophet on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:01 pm

well i think it is a very nice concept and visual it is nice, only i suggest

Making the allied and enemy thing bonus more clear, i dont get it, it need simplicity i think,

and the background is kinda to dark maybe make it a bit lighter or have the territory colors expand through ur background

and make the leganda so the color is clear, or use the symbols.

keep it up its a very nice concept and i would def play :)
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby boberz on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:35 pm

as circle my favourite is 4 but for practical and readability reasons i chose 1
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Lone.prophet wrote:and the background is kinda to dark maybe make it a bit lighter or have the territory colors expand through ur background
and make the leganda so the color is clear, or use the symbols.

The background was originally too dark. I then made it lighter but that was too light. Now I made the backgound darker because of that.
Lone.prophet wrote:only i suggest Making the allied and enemy thing bonus more clear, i dont get it, it need simplicity i think,

We really don't know how to make it better. Some popel have no clue, others understand it. Just read all of the text.
Lone.prophet wrote:and make the leganda so the color is clear, or use the symbols.

The key is getting color gradients behind the text in the next update.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Lone.prophet on Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:10 pm

I dont get the bonus thing so simplefie it if every non english person doesnt understand ull never finish ur map.
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:48 pm

Lone.prophet wrote:I dont get the bonus thing so simplefie it if every non english person doesnt understand ull never finish ur map.

What don't you get? What is hard to understand? How would you write it?

These are questions to everyone who thinks the ally/enemy system is hard to understand.
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Here is an update. The circles are choice 5 right now.
Updated the gradients behind the Thoughts in bonus area.
Removed the "8" and put eight for the title.

Sorry
I forgot to add text explaining the overlapping territories. I will add it next time. Does anyone have any ideas on how to write it?

I know there is some concern about only having 41 territories. I have an idea and will shoot it out here once it is finished. It would make 42.
Here is the split Infinite Reason. It makes 42
Major WidowMakers

Postby boberz on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:06 pm

no longer symetrical across al borders (gameplay not visually i mean) i prefer the eold one but i understand the theory
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:09 pm

I think the main problem with the Allied/Enemy bonus is that the map suggests this bonus only occurs for those symbols shown in the legend. But I swear it was mentioned that the system works for all symbols. This definately isn't clear. I also think because of the skewed nature of the map, it makes it hard to determine which symbols line up to give a bonus.

I'll ask again, can the symbols attack each other?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Coleman on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:28 pm

KEYOGI wrote:I'll ask again, can the symbols attack each other?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Coleman HATES that kind of garbage with extreme prejudice. If we did have it we would have to drive the bonus back up to 4 because there would be no way in hell you could ever defend one of the continents.

(Sorry, I really don't like maps that do that stuff, no offense to WidowMakers and his heliports...)
Sergeant Coleman

Postby MR. Nate on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:59 pm

On the philosophy of the map: The marriage of inspiration/revelation and death/Demise makes no sense at all to me. But they are considered "allies" going both ways. The other thing is, does it bother anyone else that rage is next to infinite reason? That makes no sense at all.

On the gameplay: Every continent is six territories, three borders, with a maximum of four people receiving bonus. This seems not conducive to team play, or to play with more than 4, because somebody's out quick. Perhaps it would be more interesting if there were some different bonuses. For instance, isn't charity/compassion worth more than death and demise? Or Prosperity better than law (you can always buy a lawyer) As an alternative, maybe not EVERY bonus would have to share a territory. I understand that these would change the gameplay substantially, but it would make it more interesting to me.
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby Qwert on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Lone.prophet wrote:
I dont get the bonus thing so simplefie it if every non english person doesnt understand ull never finish ur map.

What don't you get? What is hard to understand? How would you write it?

These are questions to everyone who thinks the ally/enemy system is hard to understand.

just be cool widow, these only a begining, you must be patiene, and do what people say, not be like me who dont want to change some minor thing.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Qwert, I'd prefer if you didn't troll in other people's topics. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Coleman on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:28 pm

MR. Nate wrote:On the philosophy of the map: The marriage of inspiration/revelation and death/Demise makes no sense at all to me. But they are considered "allies" going both ways. The other thing is, does it bother anyone else that rage is next to infinite reason? That makes no sense at all.

There isn't a really great way to explain this. But I took this from a game somewhat, and in the game Inspiration has ties to creationism and evolution. I know that doesn't fully explain it, and I'm to lazy at this moment to go hunt down my documents relating to this alliance, but I'll probably come back and edit this. Also, if you kill my entire family (you really do look like a hitman) it may be infinitely reasonable for me to be enraged.

MR. Nate wrote:On the gameplay: Every continent is six territories, three borders, with a maximum of four people receiving bonus. This seems not conducive to team play, or to play with more than 4, because somebody's out quick. Perhaps it would be more interesting if there were some different bonuses. For instance, isn't charity/compassion worth more than death and demise? Or Prosperity better than law (you can always buy a lawyer) As an alternative, maybe not EVERY bonus would have to share a territory. I understand that these would change the gameplay substantially, but it would make it more interesting to me.

I don't know about that one, but I've been in very few 6 player games where every single player was getting a bonus from somewhere.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby MR. Nate on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:00 pm

Coleman wrote:Also, if you kill my entire family (you really do look like a hitman) it may be infinitely reasonable for me to be enraged.

lol Don't worry, I like the map, and widow says your OK, so your safe. I was just thinking that a person who is enraged is not normally reasonable. I am curious about that link between inspiration and death, so if you find it, please post it.
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby Coleman on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:06 pm

MR. Nate wrote:
Coleman wrote:Also, if you kill my entire family (you really do look like a hitman) it may be infinitely reasonable for me to be enraged.

lol Don't worry, I like the map, and widow says your OK, so your safe. I was just thinking that a person who is enraged is not normally reasonable. I am curious about that link between inspiration and death, so if you find it, please post it.

Okay, I think I found it. Inspiration/Creationism is torn between light/dark, it could use it's powers for good and for evil, which is why it is allies with Compassion and Death. (I know that is a really weak explanation, but it really is all I have without brining the god factor into it, and this is long past being about gods and is more into the philosophy.)
Sergeant Coleman

Postby t.e.c on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:14 pm

i think the bonus system is pretty self-explanatory. but if people can't figure it out, i guess they won't play it
Corporal t.e.c

Postby DublinDoogey on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:38 pm

I think all you'd have to do for the allied/enemy bonus system is to make all the ally lines green and all the enemy lines red, of course, people could continue being stupid and think you need them all, but it might help.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby MR. Nate on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:41 pm

Coleman wrote: Inspiration/Creationism is torn between light/dark, it could use it's powers for good and for evil, which is why it is allies with Compassion and Death. (I know that is a really weak explanation, but it really is all I have without brining the god factor into it, and this is long past being about gods and is more into the philosophy.)

I can buy that. We have harnessed nuclear energy, and we use it for ICBM's and electricity.

DublinDoogey wrote:I think all you'd have to do for the allied/enemy bonus system is to make all the ally lines green and all the enemy lines red, of course, people could continue being stupid and think you need them all, but it might help.

That would make the interior lines all green and the ones around the outside all red. It wouldn't be helpful.
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby everywhere116 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:41 pm

I'm not so sure, there are some stupid people out there. See: Brunei and Sumatra.
"Disease, suffering, hardship...that is what war is all about."-Captain Kirk, from "A Taste of Armageddon"
Corporal everywhere116

Postby Coleman on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:59 pm

everywhere116 wrote:I'm not so sure, there are some stupid people out there. See: Brunei and Sumatra.

Can I put that in my signature? :lol:
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Nikolai on Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:03 pm

I really hate the split center territory - it sets the map up in opposing halves, rather than in equal eighths.
As far as the alliance/enemy thing goes, I've got an idea I sketched up in paint. Thanks, mibi. It's a bit small, but I think you see my point. Basically, put arrowheads on each end of the red line that describes an enemy, and arrowheads on each end of the single green line that describes an alliance. Then put labels by them saying "Enemy -1" and "Alliance +2". Make sense? I figure the allies are pretty easy, it's the enemy thing that's messing people up, and that's the cool part.
And I'm still recommending adding additional territories to each thought. Right now, it's just too small for practical play in bigger games, and you've got room to add a couple in each thought.

Last edited by Nikolai on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Nikolai

Postby mibi on Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Nikolai wrote:I really hate the split center territory - it sets the map up in opposing halves, rather than in equal eighths.
As far as the alliance/enemy thing goes, I've got an idea I sketched up in paint, but I can't figure out how to post it. (Computer genius I'm not, and I've not used paint before.) Basically, put arrowheads on each end of the red line that describes an enemy, and arrowheads on each end of the single green line that describes an alliance. Then put labels by them saying "Enemy -1" and "Alliance +2". Make sense? I figure the allies are pretty easy, it's the enemy thing that's messing people up, and that's the cool part.
And I'm still recommending adding additional territories to each thought. Right now, it's just too small for practical play in bigger games, and you've got room to add a couple in each thought.

1. go to http://www.imageshack.us/ and upload the image
2. copy the code for "Hotlink for forums (1)"
3. past code into post.
Captain mibi

Postby Molacole on Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:53 am

received is spelled wrong. I before E except after C :wink:

That line in the middle kind of kills the theme of the map. The thoughts have to interact with each other so the middle has to be open. Maybe a double circle thing like on africa map at the bottom there. one territory in another. the center could represent something like a final decision while the other represents the debating of the decision where all the thoughts interwind...

widowmakers wrote:I forgot to add text explaining the overlapping territories. I will add it next time. Does anyone have any ideas on how to write it?
each bonus share borders with each adjacent bonus.

widowmakers wrote:Here are the samples of different army circles
4 Image
5 Image
OK. Lets have it. What do you think? My fav is 5!
Combine 4 and 5! Put the white trim on the darker colors and the black trim on the lighter colors. Both with less "bling" around the rim. Too much of a border. Could you favor the color more to the oppossite side of the bonus. What I mean is for war and knowledge could you favor the red more so on the knowledge side and favor the blue more so towards the war side of the circle. I'm thinking this might help with explaining the bonuses and such, but not sure if that's enough for some people.

Oh for the background! Could you bring out more of a blood red color? I like the background and would rather see more of it.

widowmakers wrote:
Lone.prophet wrote:
only i suggest Making the allied and enemy thing bonus more clear, i dont get it, it need simplicity i think,

We really don't know how to make it better. Some popel have no clue, others understand it. Just read all of the text.

ONLY THE TERRITORIES WITH SYMBOLS CAN BE USED TO RECEIVE ENEMY/ALLY BONUS

I really don't know what to do about this one. I read it and completely understand it... Maybe try something like

territories with symobols are used to receive enemy/ally bonus.

I don't understand the confusion with this one. I think it might simply come down to people not understanding english. There's nothing you can do about that man...

MR. Nate wrote:On the gameplay: Every continent is six territories, three borders, with a maximum of four people receiving bonus. This seems not conducive to team play, or to play with more than 4, because somebody's out quick. Perhaps it would be more interesting if there were some different bonuses. For instance, isn't charity/compassion worth more than death and demise? Or Prosperity better than law (you can always buy a lawyer) As an alternative, maybe not EVERY bonus would have to share a territory. I understand that these would change the gameplay substantially, but it would make it more interesting to me.
That is the beauty of it! You have to work as a team if you play this map with a partner. One person is going to have to handle taking bonuses while the others work on eliminating people from the map! This map doesn't leave much room for error if any at all when playing a team game and I love that about it!
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:25 am

Molacole wrote:received is spelled wrong. I before E except after C :wink:

Again thanks. I hate spelling. Ever since I started playing Firefox and it checks your spelling my typing has gone down the drain. I will fix this next update.

Molacole wrote:That line in the middle kind of kills the theme of the map. The thoughts have to interact with each other so the middle has to be open. Maybe a double circle thing like on africa map at the bottom there. one territory in another. the center could represent something like a final decision while the other represents the debating of the decision where all the thoughts interwind...

I was going for the ying/yang idea. I will try the Diamond inside a diamond thing and see how that works.

Molacole wrote:
widowmakers wrote:I forgot to add text explaining the overlapping territories. I will add it next time. Does anyone have any ideas on how to write it?

each bonus share borders with each adjacent bonus.

I will try it. But like most of the other text on the map, people seem not to be able to read it. HAHA :D

Molacole wrote:
widowmakers wrote:Here are the samples of different army circles
4 Image
5 Image
OK. Lets have it. What do you think? My fav is 5!
Combine 4 and 5! Put the white trim on the darker colors and the black trim on the lighter colors. Both with less "bling" around the rim. Too much of a border. Could you favor the color more to the oppossite side of the bonus. What I mean is for war and knowledge could you favor the red more so on the knowledge side and favor the blue more so towards the war side of the circle. I'm thinking this might help with explaining the bonuses and such, but not sure if that's enough for some people.

5 is the favorite now so I will try something of combining the 4/5. 5 looks good but I think it needs more white in the center of each circle to pull the armies out of the map for better reading.

Molacole wrote:Oh for the background! Could you bring out more of a blood red color? I like the background and would rather see more of it.
Yep
Major WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas