Conquer Club

Extreme Global Warming [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun May 06, 2007 3:07 pm

Alright, so lets see...

First off, I rather enjoy the graphics on this map. I feel it is up there with a lot of our higher quality graphic maps that we've got out, so kudos for that :)

I think I'm going to jump around a little chaotically, but I'll try my best to keep my thoughts somewhat organized:

Just for a clarification, are all the ports (Circles in the ocean, correct?) independent and not a part of any of the continents on the map? I searched the thread, and but the port discussion I read was about adding them so it wasn't like the classic map. Perhaps I missed, but I wasn't sure. Anyways, if they are independent, I'd suggest perhaps adding something to the legend, so people don't think they have to hold them for their continents. And if they are apart, perhaps a dash of color would be appropriate so we can distinguish where they all belong. After I get some clarification, I'll take a closer look at the gameplay.

Also, what is the current number of countries? I remember reading about you getting rid of a few in the last couple of pages.

The large map looks pretty top notch, but the font on the small could use a boost if possible, even the 'Uninhabitable Zone'.

And speaking of the 'Uninhabitable Zone' I consider even boosting the size in the band across the large map also. Just a minor thing.

Hm, also is there any other possible name other than 'Indian Ocean International Port'...that's quite a mouthful and rather long. Perhaps 'Indian Ocean Port' or some sort of shorter variant?

Regarding the sea routes going left-right on the map, I'm not a big fan of the side-vertical next, though it may just have to do. But maybe consider having the 'direction' follow the sea route on top it or below, perhaps similar to how World 2.1 did it. Or maybe if you stick with vertical next, have it be true-vertical rather than side-vertical. Just some thoughts.

As for the legend, consider adding the red background to the 'Uninhabitable Zone' text, to make it stand out a little more. Perhaps even distinguish the ocean color in the legend from the ocean in the playable gameboard. Perhaps go with a darker blue, or perhaps a different tone or hue, maybe more gray-blue, I'm not sure. Consider making the continental names stand out a little more by putting them in a little strip of color rather than them 'free-floating' in the legend. Also, I'm not sold on the title graphics...or the Extreme. When I think Global Warming, fire doesn't usually come to mind. :)

And lastly one minor thing. I tend regard maps like great works of art. So I've always been a supporter of signing the map inconspicuously, rather than so boldly and eye catching, though I know you are proud of the map, so you can sign it the way you like. Just a minor suggestion.

It's coming together nicely, I'll check in again soon!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby unriggable on Sun May 06, 2007 4:01 pm

pepperonibread wrote:Image

Okay a few things:

Rework the bonuses, especially for asia and antarctica. Consider making some bonuses for the ports too.

Thicker borders for the coutntries, I dont know where some end and others begin, example Siberia / Central Asia

Consider getting rid of the mountains and such.

You mispelled 'Prairies'
Cook unriggable

Postby pepperonibread on Sun May 06, 2007 9:08 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Alright, so lets see...

First off, I rather enjoy the graphics on this map. I feel it is up there with a lot of our higher quality graphic maps that we've got out, so kudos for that :)

I think I'm going to jump around a little chaotically, but I'll try my best to keep my thoughts somewhat organized:

Just for a clarification, are all the ports (Circles in the ocean, correct?) independent and not a part of any of the continents on the map? I searched the thread, and but the port discussion I read was about adding them so it wasn't like the classic map. Perhaps I missed, but I wasn't sure. Anyways, if they are independent, I'd suggest perhaps adding something to the legend, so people don't think they have to hold them for their continents. And if they are apart, perhaps a dash of color would be appropriate so we can distinguish where they all belong. After I get some clarification, I'll take a closer look at the gameplay.

Also, what is the current number of countries? I remember reading about you getting rid of a few in the last couple of pages.

The large map looks pretty top notch, but the font on the small could use a boost if possible, even the 'Uninhabitable Zone'.

And speaking of the 'Uninhabitable Zone' I consider even boosting the size in the band across the large map also. Just a minor thing.

Hm, also is there any other possible name other than 'Indian Ocean International Port'...that's quite a mouthful and rather long. Perhaps 'Indian Ocean Port' or some sort of shorter variant?

Regarding the sea routes going left-right on the map, I'm not a big fan of the side-vertical next, though it may just have to do. But maybe consider having the 'direction' follow the sea route on top it or below, perhaps similar to how World 2.1 did it. Or maybe if you stick with vertical next, have it be true-vertical rather than side-vertical. Just some thoughts.

As for the legend, consider adding the red background to the 'Uninhabitable Zone' text, to make it stand out a little more. Perhaps even distinguish the ocean color in the legend from the ocean in the playable gameboard. Perhaps go with a darker blue, or perhaps a different tone or hue, maybe more gray-blue, I'm not sure. Consider making the continental names stand out a little more by putting them in a little strip of color rather than them 'free-floating' in the legend. Also, I'm not sold on the title graphics...or the Extreme. When I think Global Warming, fire doesn't usually come to mind. :)

And lastly one minor thing. I tend regard maps like great works of art. So I've always been a supporter of signing the map inconspicuously, rather than so boldly and eye catching, though I know you are proud of the map, so you can sign it the way you like. Just a minor suggestion.

It's coming together nicely, I'll check in again soon!

--Andy

Andy posted on my thread! I might dance! (just kidding).

Anyway, I'll address your comments one by one:

Ports - Yes, they are not part of any country. I'll be sure to clarify that in the legend.

# of Countries - As of my update a few posts ago, there are 46 countries.

Text - To get the small map, I just shrunk the large version, but I'll probably later engineer the small version separately, so larger text should be easy.

Sea Routes - For text like World 2.1, "To Alaska" and "To French Polynesia" just don't have enough space. However, true vertical is an interesting possibility that could look pretty cool.

Legend - All the stuff with the text should be pretty easy, but changing the color of the legend might not be such a good idea. While I was working with the it, I tried a few different shades and hues. The general look was a feel that the legend had just been pasted on the bottom of the map. But, if people feel that a change is needed, I could showcase a few colors for people to judge.

Signature - Yeah, you're right, now that I really look at it, I'll definitely shrink it down. I'll probably have to anyway if I add something about the ports in the legend.

Thanks for the feedback!
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby KEYOGI on Mon May 07, 2007 3:51 pm

Should I keep the submerged areas?

Yes, keep them the same
54% [ 53 ]
No, trash them
19% [ 19 ]
Yes, but alter how they look (post thoughts in thread)
26% [ 26 ]

Total Votes : 98
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby pepperonibread on Mon May 07, 2007 7:15 pm

unriggable wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:Image

Okay a few things:

Rework the bonuses, especially for asia and antarctica. Consider making some bonuses for the ports too.

Thicker borders for the coutntries, I dont know where some end and others begin, example Siberia / Central Asia

Consider getting rid of the mountains and such.

You mispelled 'Prairies'

Bonuses - What do you suggest? Also, there's now a poll up about the ports and if there should be a bonus and such.

Borders - I could definitely thicken the borders some.

Texture - I don't know about anybody else, but I like how the textures look. It depends what other people think.

Yeah, I guess I did spell Prairies wrong. I seem to do that a lot.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Bodmanbod on Mon May 07, 2007 7:33 pm

i think adding a bonus for holding all of the ports and making it so all the ports can attack each other would improve the gameplay.

Also could the unihabitable zone be larger?

p.s. what some people say about the text is right but also wrong, sideways text is hard to read but true vertical text is even harder to read. i suggest you do what somebody else said and have it sweep above the line showing the travel route.
Private 1st Class Bodmanbod

Postby unriggable on Mon May 07, 2007 7:38 pm

Antarctica should be five and Asia should be 5 and NA should be 6
Cook unriggable

Postby pepperonibread on Mon May 07, 2007 7:40 pm

Bodmanbod wrote:i think adding a bonus for holding all of the ports and making it so all the ports can attack each other would improve the gameplay.

Also could the unihabitable zone be larger?

p.s. what some people say about the text is right but also wrong, sideways text is hard to read but true vertical text is even harder to read. i suggest you do what somebody else said and have it sweep above the line showing the travel route.

Well, that's what I was originally thinking, but some of the routes along the edges are just too short.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby RobinJ on Tue May 08, 2007 3:38 am

No don't give the ports a bonus and don't let them attack each other.
My reason for both is that there are too many of them and they are too spread out to give a bonus for holding them and, therefore, letting them attack eachother would be mayhem
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby pepperonibread on Tue May 08, 2007 6:17 am

RobinJ wrote:No don't give the ports a bonus and don't let them attack each other.
My reason for both is that there are too many of them and they are too spread out to give a bonus for holding them and, therefore, letting them attack eachother would be mayhem

Same with me.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby 1st chair flute on Tue May 08, 2007 3:03 pm

to all the people who have posted we (Pepperonibread and I) would ask that everyone please vote on the bonuses once that is done Pepperonibread should do minor details and get this map quenched!
(Wade im sorry if you dont agree with my post, post if you dont)
Blue

who needs a good signature when you look like i do
Cook 1st chair flute

Postby 1st chair flute on Tue May 08, 2007 3:17 pm

whoops typo i meant vote on the ports with bonuses or not and should they attack eachother
Blue

Cook 1st chair flute

Postby pepperonibread on Tue May 08, 2007 3:56 pm

1st chair flute wrote:to all the people who have posted we (Pepperonibread and I) would ask that everyone please vote on the bonuses once that is done Pepperonibread should do minor details and get this map quenched!
(Wade im sorry if you dont agree with my post, post if you dont)

Well, I still think I've got a while to go before this map gets Final Forged. A lot more opinions are needed. However, I agree that everyone should please vote on the poll (shouldn't be a problem. You guys have voted a lot on my other ones).
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby wrightfan123 on Tue May 08, 2007 4:02 pm

unriggable wrote:Antarctica should be five and Asia should be 5 and NA should be 6

Where were people like you 4 posts ago! We've finished debating the bonuses! Unless God himslef (or lack) says the bonuses should be changed, there set in stone!
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue May 08, 2007 4:05 pm

Keep the mountains, it gives the map some depth.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby pepperonibread on Tue May 08, 2007 4:26 pm

wrightfan123 wrote:
unriggable wrote:Antarctica should be five and Asia should be 5 and NA should be 6

Where were people like you 4 posts ago! We've finished debating the bonuses! Unless God himslef (or lack) says the bonuses should be changed, there set in stone!

It depends. Do people support unriggable's bonuses? Post if you do or don't.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue May 08, 2007 4:51 pm

With how few territories there are on each continent, I'm not sure I would want more than 5 max for any of them. I would probably hedge more towards +4 being the max, but that is just me.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby pepperonibread on Tue May 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Hmm...
I think it would be best to change Africa to 6, and possibly Asia to 5. Just my opinion.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Spockers on Tue May 08, 2007 8:38 pm

How do the boats sail though the uninhabitable zone?
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby pepperonibread on Wed May 09, 2007 6:25 am

Spockers wrote:How do the boats sail though the uninhabitable zone?

Would the water get just as hot as the land? I'm not sure. Also, I'm not sure how much heat a boat could take. However, submarines could possibly travel the deeper, cooler water under the uninhabitable zone.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby john1099 on Wed May 09, 2007 6:48 am

pepperonibread wrote:

Would the water get just as hot as the land? I'm not sure. Also, I'm not sure how much heat a boat could take. However, submarines could possibly travel the deeper, cooler water under the uninhabitable zone.

Well, a boat can only take as much as the wood (im assuming we're talking wooden boats here) can take before is spontaneously combusts!

Also, Prairies and Yukon shouldn't be even on the map.
Maybe put Yukon Up, and the Prairies further down, and maybe add BC (unless you're saying its submerged) In which case add nothing, just put Yukon above Prairies!
GunnaRoolsUDrool wrote:yo mama has 3 titties, ones for milk, ones for water, ones out of order
Sergeant 1st Class john1099

Postby 1st chair flute on Wed May 09, 2007 3:03 pm

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its about the fun of playing the map dont be idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blue

Cook 1st chair flute

Postby pepperonibread on Wed May 09, 2007 3:08 pm

john1099 wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:

Well, a boat can only take as much as the wood (im assuming we're talking wooden boats here) can take before is spontaneously combusts!

Maybe put Yukon Up, and the Prairies further down, and maybe add BC (unless you're saying its submerged) In which case add nothing, just put Yukon above Prairies!

Well, these would be boats of the future, so I doubt they would be made of wood. Possibly steel? Synthetic polymer? Cheese?

I don't really see what you mean by Prairies and Yukon shouldn't be there. Barely any of that area was submerged. However, if you're challenging the names of the territories, I maybe see where you're going. I looked at this map of Canada:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Map_Canada_political-geo.png
It seems to me that I would want to change Yukon to British Columbia, because BC occupies more of that area, however, I would keep Prairies the same. Prairies in my map is Prairies and NW Territory together, but called Prairies because a chunk of NW Territory was submerged.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby john1099 on Wed May 09, 2007 5:54 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
john1099 wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:

Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta are considered "the prairies" therefore, you need to put them, under Yukon, which is North west of the prairies..
Hope that helps clarify thing a bit ;)

Well, these would be boats of the future, so I doubt they would be made of wood. Possibly steel? Synthetic polymer? Cheese?

I don't really see what you mean by Prairies and Yukon shouldn't be there. Barely any of that area was submerged. However, if you're challenging the names of the territories, I maybe see where you're going. I looked at this map of Canada:
It seems to me that I would want to change Yukon to British Columbia, because BC occupies more of that area, however, I would keep Prairies the same. Prairies in my map is Prairies and NW Territory together, but called Prairies because a chunk of NW Territory was submerged.
GunnaRoolsUDrool wrote:yo mama has 3 titties, ones for milk, ones for water, ones out of order
Sergeant 1st Class john1099

Postby wrightfan123 on Wed May 09, 2007 5:59 pm

john1099 wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:
john1099 wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:

Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta are considered "the prairies" therefore, you need to put them, under Yukon, which is North west of the prairies..
Hope that helps clarify thing a bit ;)

Okay, while you guys point out trivial and completly random facts, who said boats are traveling through the zone? Why couldn't it be lightning-fast hover craft that can resist extreme temperatures?
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas