Conquer Club

D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

upside down???

Postby jasnostj on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:48 am

Maybe something was said on it already (I am not going to go through 45 pages of feedback), but why on earth is this map upside down??? The sea is in the north in this part of Normandy.
Private jasnostj

Postby clapper011 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:50 am

and grease monkey and bob do not work on this map as well
Corporal 1st Class clapper011

Postby rebelman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:26 am

mibi wrote:I just started a couple of games as well and intitially, after reading this thread those red numbers confuses me, but then BOB is broken and I think thats where the confusing is. Once your used to bob and map without it is a bit of a kick in the teeth. so i put my thinking cap on and pretty quickly was able to pick up old modes of play, the red numbers weren't too confusing.

as for changing the legend, sure, if people think its an issue, i dont mind.

that's a fair point, I'm a Bobaholic and I was suffering from withdrawl symptoms. but BOB or no BOB a change to a different numbers color would eliminate the possibility for confusion. As Coleman suggested you could put up a poll and see if there is any genuine interest out there in this change, my suspicion is there would be support for a color change.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby Aerial Attack on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:50 am

Is this supposed to have War Fog?

My first D-Day Game

I figured it out. Not only does BOB not work for this map - it actually prevents you from seeing ANY armies on the map (yours included).
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby AndyBounce on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:52 am

Just played a game at last, love it, but confusing as hell on the German side. Got to agree with the red color comments, very confusing. You have to study and strain your eyes to make out what's what..
Lieutenant AndyBounce

Postby rebelman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:18 am

AndyBounce wrote:Just played a game at last, love it, but confusing as hell on the German side. Got to agree with the red color comments, very confusing. You have to study and strain your eyes to make out what's what..

The red numbers troops critics are growing, i think the people have spoken on this one :-k
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby asl80 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:34 am

sorry - had to throw my two cents in

- think the red territory numbers are fine, they're so dark in comparison with the glowing red army no.s' that its no issue at all
(perhaps there could be a problem in a speed game) - if so, the colours at the moment really suit the map, maybe pick up on the suggestion posted early of replacing instead with letters.
Lieutenant asl80

Postby rebelman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:50 am

its also important to remember that many players on this sight have various eyesight related problems not just colour blindness what might seem very different colors to somebody with 20 / 20 might not seem as different to someone like me who is shortsighted, has a stygmatism and no depth perception. Not quite - 8) but getting there.
Private rebelman

Postby asl80 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:54 am

that's a point
Lieutenant asl80

Re: upside down???

Postby Coleman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:40 pm

jasnostj wrote:Maybe something was said on it already (I am not going to go through 45 pages of feedback), but why on earth is this map upside down??? The sea is in the north in this part of Normandy.

We had a compass but someone made us take it out. I forget why.

We like to attack from the bottom upwards, there was a vote with the orientation switched and people preferred the current direction.

As for the BOB comments, I've posted a warning in Strategy and have been in touch with all the xml experts (especially lack) none of us can figure out why BOB is broken with the map.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Regarding the 'red territory numbers', if they were to be changed, what color would best be suited? A brownish color? Would that be too hard to tell because of the grass? A gray color? Too hard to tell from neutral armies? (maybe not so much of a problem there). Black...not enough contrast?

A gray color may work the best, but I'm not sure.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Coleman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:55 pm

I haven't been able to contact mibi, the art person for the past few days.

As such, I could try to post 8 different colors and give people a vote then send the update to lack. But it will take me a long time without mibi's file, as I'd likely be just highlighting portions and doing a hue change manually.

How far do we want to go with this? Should I change all the red numbers and text or just the numbers?
Sergeant Coleman

Postby rebelman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Coleman wrote:I haven't been able to contact mibi, the art person for the past few days.

As such, I could try to post 8 different colors and give people a vote then send the update to lack. But it will take me a long time without mibi's file, as I'd likely be just highlighting portions and doing a hue change manually.

How far do we want to go with this? Should I change all the red numbers and text or just the numbers?

the numbers are the problem not the text, there is a strong view out there that these need to be changed I believe change is needed and I hope ye are willing to act in respone to this public outcry on the site and not shoot us down for artistic merit reasons.
Last edited by rebelman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private rebelman

Postby Coleman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:12 pm

I was thinking people might be annoyed with German whatever in red and then the numbers being a different color, that's why I asked.

I'll see what I can do if I get some time. I could try changing the text to match for the color that wins.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby rebelman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:18 pm

mibi wrote:I just started a couple of games as well and intitially, after reading this thread those red numbers confuses me, but then BOB is broken and I think thats where the confusing is. Once your used to bob and map without it is a bit of a kick in the teeth. so i put my thinking cap on and pretty quickly was able to pick up old modes of play, the red numbers weren't too confusing.

as for changing the legend, sure, if people think its an issue, i dont mind.

coleman mibi is aware this is an issue he posted this earlier today although he does seem to be dismissing the need for change as gimil and you did. At least you seem open to persuasion despite your reply "a lot of people like that color". This does annoy me this attitude that those that make maps are always right and us ordinary players are dismissed when we raise an issue. This issue has now been echoed by several others since my initial post.
Private rebelman

Postby Coleman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:33 pm

Well, if we have reason to believe more people don't want the color to change then the people that are having problems with it then we won't change it. That's why I keep mentioning it.

What I'm going to do, unless mibi is willing to. Is to put up 8 different colors.

I'll include gray since that was suggested.

Then I'll run a vote between those 8.

After enough time has passed I'll run another vote between the top 4.

After that vote I'll do between the top 2.

The winner will get updated to the site to replace the current. (Unless the current wins)

After I get images done this whole process will probably take a week. I have no idea how long images will take me. But I don't have a lot of time, so hopefully mibi is open to trying this instead.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:08 pm

8)
Last edited by mibi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain mibi

Postby mibi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:19 pm

Coleman wrote:Well, if we have reason to believe more people don't want the color to change then the people that are having problems with it then we won't change it. That's why I keep mentioning it.

What I'm going to do, unless mibi is willing to. Is to put up 8 different colors.

I'll include gray since that was suggested.

Then I'll run a vote between those 8.

After enough time has passed I'll run another vote between the top 4.

After that vote I'll do between the top 2.

The winner will get updated to the site to replace the current. (Unless the current wins)

After I get images done this whole process will probably take a week. I have no idea how long images will take me. But I don't have a lot of time, so hopefully mibi is open to trying this instead.

uh.. coleman you need to chill with the bureaucracy. i like red because it's very nazi germany and the titles are red. no need for 8 colors variations, as anything thats not black white or red would look out of place. perhaps some extra styling on the red numbers to further separate them from the CC digits might work. changing them to white would work too, perhaps. i play around with it this week.
Captain mibi

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:31 pm

I think you are onto something, mibi, with either stylizing them a little more, or changing them to white/gray (similar perhaps in color to the other numbers on the map?)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Coleman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:54 pm

I was just trying to think of the most fair way to do it, but glad you have something planned.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Heimdall on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:13 am

AndyDufresne wrote:changing them to white/gray

agreed
Lieutenant Heimdall

Postby rebelman on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:33 am

mibi wrote:
uh.. coleman you need to chill with the bureaucracy. i like red because it's very nazi germany and the titles are red. no need for 8 colors variations, as anything thats not black white or red would look out of place. perhaps some extra styling on the red numbers to further separate them from the CC digits might work. changing them to white would work too, perhaps. i play around with it this week.

not alone does this guy make great maps, he talks a lot of sense too :wink:

Coleman, the red numbering has now been raised by a number of players as an issue. I know know none of these players and I have never played with or against any of them so all of us have raised this issue independent of one another. I do not like what you suggest about letting the majority decide as obviously at least a significant minority have an issue relating to this color. I have read before that where possible map makers on here try and stick to the color blind pallet to cater for players that are color blind although not a majority, I think this situation is similar in that there are a % of players like me who find it extremely difficult to differenciate between the two reds.

As for colors of nazi germany the link below may help - "mouse-grey" for example is a very nazi color.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uni ... ermany.htm
Private rebelman

Postby Wisse on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:31 am

i actual like the red, and have no problems with it
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Coleman on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:49 pm

Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:17 pm

Coleman wrote:Use this to get BOB to work:
http://members.cox.net/gyrigo/CC/conquerclubbob.user.js

the number totals are still off for me, I get NaN as well as bogus numbers, but the mouse overs work
Captain mibi

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas