Conquer Club

D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby AndyBounce on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:22 am

Finally. Fantastic news, been looking forward to this one for ages, nice work guys. :D
Lieutenant AndyBounce

Postby RobinJ on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:40 pm

RobinJ wrote:Pretty comprehensive poll anyway. I'm afraid this map has been waiting way too long in final forge - it should have been done with the last batch

Seems Andy listened to me! :P

Bout time too - can't wait for a few games on it
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby Qwert on Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:58 pm

Congratz :) .
Now finaly allied invasion can start.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby gimil on Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:50 pm

This map is imense!

excellent work mibi
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Coleman on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:43 pm

BOB doesn't appear to work for D-Day.

I have no idea why. I've compared the xml to others where it does work and am not seeing any differences. :?
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby unriggable on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:48 pm

Coleman wrote:BOB doesn't appear to work for D-Day.

I have no idea why. I've compared the xml to others where it does work and am not seeing any differences. :?

Don't know if this makes me an idiot but what is BOB?
Cook unriggable

Postby Coleman on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:49 pm

Greasemonkey script.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Coleman on Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:17 pm

Nevermind, figured it out. It's because the xml has the title as "D-Day: Omaha Beach!" and the site has the title as just "D-Day".
Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:07 pm

Coleman wrote:

Nevermind, figured it out. It's because the xml has the title as "D-Day: Omaha Beach!" and the site has the title as just "D-Day".

well it should read "D-Day: Omaha Beach!".... D-Day just sounds like some shopping holiday.

its also only one part of d-day so its a bit inaccurate
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:30 pm

I passed that on to Andy, so they knew how we intended to have the title. Going away from it seems to have screwed up the site for BOB users. :lol:
Sergeant Coleman

Postby BaldAdonis on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:39 am

Coleman wrote:Nevermind, figured it out. It's because the xml has the title as "D-Day: Omaha Beach!" and the site has the title as just "D-Day".

I was just coming here to say that. I should've known I'd be hours behind the map makers.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby rebelman on Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:11 am

I played this map last night in an epic speed game when i should have been asleep (hulmey has a messed up sense of humour)

a few observations:

Overall a lovely map and glad to have it out as a new option, well done to all those involved.

Colour code - blue = huge issue please resolve
green - small problem not very serious
red - not a problem but would improve the game if implemented
Possible issues:

The red numbering is a disaster as its very confusing as to where reds armies are and what reds true strength is as there is red numbers all over the place, this has to change IMHO as every game has a red team in it so this problem will arise again and again if the territory colours remain red. I know its a different colour red but its still too similiar and confusing if you wish to make a fast decision.

Playing without Bob (v scary in a speed game on a new map) a couple of other issues caught my eye - glad to see the BOB issue is being resolved.

walls and barbed wire are inpenetrable yet its hard to tell what the story is with the breaks in the wall if one can get through those points. Obviously BOB would show clearly where you can and cant go so this should be more obvious for those not useing add ons like BOB

Instructions at the top re. bonuses etc. - this is very cluttered and cramped and difficult to read when you are getting to know this map especially when you dont have BOB to hold your hand which is the scenario for many players.

Hittting the beach targets useing the artillery. Like shooting the planes from the AA in ph would it not be more realistic if these went neutral when shot by the artillery - i think it would add to the realism of the game.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:10 am

I found the red numbering during play also kind of confusing, as I created a game, and then went to look at the board and thought I wad dominating from the get go!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Gilligan on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:26 am

Greasemonkey still doesn't seem to be working.
Captain Gilligan

Postby rebelman on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:33 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I found the red numbering during play also kind of confusing, as I created a game, and then went to look at the board and thought I wad dominating from the get go!

--Andy

It's going to happen people constantly if it's not changed. At least you were patting your back on your amazing dominant position whereas I was panicking as the red player seemed to be totally surrounding me yet at the time most of reds troops were still in the water !!
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby gimil on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:36 am

rebelman wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I found the red numbering during play also kind of confusing, as I created a game, and then went to look at the board and thought I wad dominating from the get go!

--Andy

It's going to happen people constantly if it's not changed. At least you were patting your back on your amazing dominant position whereas I was panicking as the red player seemed to be totally surrounding me yet at the time most of reds troops were still in the water !!

i idnt habe this problem becaused i used a little common sence :wink:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby rebelman on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:02 pm

gimil wrote:i idnt habe this problem becaused i used a little common sence :wink:

thanks for that response gimil and you mappy people wonder why us mere mortals don't contribute to the foundary more often :roll:

I posted my observations having played a game for the first time, if you would prefer us non cartographers from commenting on these things fine but that to me is just daft if somebody has something positive to offer why should that turn them into a source of ridicule.

Reading back over my comments they were balanced and honest and I would stand over every word of them. The red numbering is a problem gimil and I'm saying that as a player who plays a wide variety of maps and who I believe has some common sense. As I don't know Andy other than reading his posts on here he strikes me as someone with some common sense yet he experienced the same problem and as he is one of your own in here maybe you might be open minded enough to consider what he has to say even if you want to make fun of that noob rebelman who knows nothing about maps :evil:
Private rebelman

Postby gimil on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:13 pm

rebelman wrote:
gimil wrote:i idnt habe this problem becaused i used a little common sence :wink:

thanks for that response gimil and you mappy people wonder why us mere mortals don't contribute to the foundary more often :roll:

I posted my observations having played a game for the first time, if you would prefer us non cartographers from commenting on these things fine but that to me is just daft if somebody has something positive to offer why should that turn them into a source of ridicule.

Reading back over my comments they were balanced and honest and I would stand over every word of them. The red numbering is a problem gimil and I'm saying that as a player who plays a wide variety of maps and who I believe has some common sense. As I don't know Andy other than reading his posts on here he strikes me as someone with some common sense yet he experienced the same problem and as he is one of your own in here maybe you might be open minded enough to consider what he has to say even if you want to make fun of that noob rebelman who knows nothing about maps :evil:

chill out buddy it was jsut a little sarcasim. I personalyl didnt notice hte problem, but thats probably becasue i palyed one game,was red and did acctually dominate the greman area. :P

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby rebelman on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:32 pm

gimil wrote:
chill out buddy it was jsut a little sarcasim. I personalyl didnt notice hte problem, but thats probably becasue i palyed one game,was red and did acctually dominate the greman area. :P

fair enough it did not sound like sarcasm, it sounded condescending. It is intimidating for a noob like me to come into the sacred foundry where only angels thread and comment on one of your babies but in my innocence I thought that's why these threads stay live post quenching so people can post their observations. joke or not your response to my post is the very reason why this forum is so intimidating to noobs and established players alike. I genuinely liked coming in here watching the creative process happening and lately I have dared comment on the odd map here or there but at this stage I will give up doing this and i would warn anyone else thats not part of the maps in crowd to do the same. Having played and enjoyed d day I had a small few observations and i was it seemed ridiculed for doing this and then its explained as just sarcasm and i should chill....lovely :?
Private rebelman

Postby gimil on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:49 pm

rebelman wrote:
gimil wrote:

fair enough it did not sound like sarcasm, it sounded condescending. It is intimidating for a noob like me to come into the sacred foundry where only angels thread and comment on one of your babies but in my innocence I thought that's why these threads stay live post quenching so people can post their observations. joke or not your response to my post is the very reason why this forum is so intimidating to noobs and established players alike. I genuinely liked coming in here watching the creative process happening and lately I have dared comment on the odd map here or there but at this stage I will give up doing this and i would warn anyone else thats not part of the maps in crowd to do the same. Having played and enjoyed d day I had a small few observations and i was it seemed ridiculed for doing this and then its explained as just sarcasm and i should chill....lovely :?

rebelman you took my comment far to seriously. aand you really shouldnt be scared of hte foundry. I garuntee you 99% of the foundry regulars wouldnt shoot you down is you commented in any map. All comments are welcome and treated equally. Yes sometimes, well alot of hte time it gets heated around here. but generally we are nice people

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby rebelman on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:02 pm

gimil wrote:rebelman you took my comment far to seriously. aand you really shouldnt be scared of hte foundry. I garuntee you 99% of the foundry regulars wouldnt shoot you down is you commented in any map. All comments are welcome and treated equally. Yes sometimes, well alot of hte time it gets heated around here. but generally we are nice people

I did overreact to your comment but unfortunately this has been my experience more than once when I came in here and made an observation, when I highlighted an issue on pearl harbour (a map I love by the way) I was told by the creater / cartography assistant to write the code to fix it. I commented on another map thread some time ago and it has not been commented on our aknowledged by anyone. Maybe it's like a run of bad dice i'm on a run of sarcasm, being ignored and being treated like a noob who should know better by the foundary people and like bad dice runs it will end soon.

Having chatted with some of you elsewhere and played against some of you yourself included i know ye are nice people unfortunately my reality over the last while in here does not tally with that picure.
Private rebelman

Postby Coleman on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:37 pm

Well, I just played through a game on this map (and I won! yay!) and the red numbers in the German area are not the same shade or font as the army numbers so I'm not sure how you could become confused.

Some issues though.

A very smart player was confused by part of our legend. Inner & Outer beaches. I think it would be better if we said Easy Beach +5 Other Beaches +4. I'm sure lack wouldn't mind changing the image to accommodate that if you're up to it mibi.

As for the red numbers again in the German area. We could have a vote to turn them into something else, like brown maybe? I rather like the red though, and so do a lot of other people, so there would have to be a few more complaints I think.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Coleman on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:39 pm

Gilligan wrote:Greasemonkey still doesn't seem to be working.
Yeah, I have no idea why. Unless it became confused by the : as that hasn't been in anything before I don't think. That's pretty out there though, I bet the cause is something else.

The actual gameplay works though. I'm willing to say this is the first successful anti greasemonkey map. :lol:
Sergeant Coleman

Postby rebelman on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:09 pm

There are thousands of potential colors out there i really think if both me and Andy found it confusing totally independant of one another i suspect it happening to others as well.

and coleman considering your interest in map design etc. the difference in shade and font is probably much more obious to you than those of us in the red is red category.
Private rebelman

Postby mibi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:37 am

I just started a couple of games as well and intitially, after reading this thread those red numbers confuses me, but then BOB is broken and I think thats where the confusing is. Once your used to bob and map without it is a bit of a kick in the teeth. so i put my thinking cap on and pretty quickly was able to pick up old modes of play, the red numbers weren't too confusing.

as for changing the legend, sure, if people think its an issue, i dont mind.
Captain mibi

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas