Conquer Club

Solar System ERROR FIX v1.0.2 (w/ PSD files) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 am

Night Strike wrote:I personally think adding the 's does look better. But it needs to be Uranus's (I know it looks weird, but it's correct.). You have it correct in the key.

Uranus's can also be written as Uranus'

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:17 am

yeti_c wrote:
maxdetjens wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Once you have the <required> tags in you will need to flow the <overrules> tags to stop the lower ones taking effect...

So you would put
<overrules>Prior Rule I'd Like Not To Count If This Rule Is True</overrules>

after the <required> tags, and that would stop the processing of the other rule? And If i have multiple such rules I'd need multiple <overrules> I take it, yes?

I wish I'd known that before i figured out the crazy factorial math.

If anyone has a link to an authoritative post or thread or FAQ of CC XML features, I'd love that. I cant find it.

Correct - I'll expand later.

C.

Right - expansion is as follows (had to drive to work - hence delay)

Code: Select all
<continent>
   <name>7 Jumpgates</name>
   <bonus>7</bonus>
   <components>
      <component>JG1</component>
      <component>JG2</component>
   </components>
   <required>7</required>
   <overrules>
      <overrule>6 Jumpgates</overrule>
      <overrule>5 Jumpgates</overrule>
      <overrule>4 Jumpgates</overrule>
      <overrule>3 Jumpgates</overrule>
      <overrule>2 Jumpgates</overrule>
   </overrules>
</continent>

<continent>
   <name>6 Jumpgates</name>
   <bonus>6</bonus>
   <components>
   </components>
   <required>6</required>
   <overrules>
      <overrule>5 Jumpgates</overrule>
   </overrules>
</continent>

<continent>
   <name>5 Jumpgates</name>
   <bonus>5</bonus>
   <components>
   </components>
   <required>5</required>
   <overrules>
   </overrules>
</continent>

<continent>
   <name>4 Jumpgates</name>
   <bonus>4</bonus>
   <components>
   </components>
   <required>4</required>
   <overrules>
   </overrules>
</continent>

<continent>
   <name>3 Jumpgates</name>
   <bonus>3</bonus>
   <components>
   </components>
   <required>3</required>
   <overrules>
   </overrules>
</continent>

<continent>
   <name>2 Jumpgates</name>
   <bonus>2</bonus>
   <components>
   </components>
   <required>2</required>
</continent>

Do you understand?

C.

PS .xsd will be sent to you later - I've just gotta get all the extra new bits into it...
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:32 am

Like so? http://www.mikeablexray.com/content/conquerclubmaps/solarwar/solar_system_v0.9.1.xml.
I make no representations or warranties about the number placement.

Oh and i haven't done the neutral army thing yet either.

EDIT: Most Recent version now keep with the last version update post. As of this writing that is v0.9.2 on page 10.
Last edited by maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:35 am

yeti_c wrote:Uranus's can also be written as Uranus'

In either case i should be consistent. Added to the list.
TASK LIST P10
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:39 am

Night Strike wrote:Although that connection between Rings and SLO is better, it's still hard to see.
Added to list

In the key where you list the Jump Gate Bonuses, make those lines for the chart similar to the outside border or something else "galactic".
Added to List

I agree with making the Asteroid Belt disappear from the army circles. (Good luck with that one!)
Added to list. Its an easy fix

In the key, put commas between Pluto, Charon, and Orcus.
Added to list

TASK LIST P10
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:42 am

Night Strike wrote:And for the heated bonus discussion that's about to ensue: I vote on raising each main bonus by 1 except for Neptune. I think that will solve most of the complaints. You may also consider raising the bonus of holding 5 or 7 Jump Gates up 1 each (to 4 and 5 respectively). Don't adjust the negative ones!

As someone (probably Pious) pointed out earlier Neptune is now harder to hold than Uranus even though its smaller.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:04 am

maxdetjens wrote:Like so? http://www.mikeablexray.com/content/conquerclubmaps/solarwar/solar_system_v0.9.1.xml.
I make no representations or warranties about the number placement.

Oh and i haven't done the neutral army thing yet either.

Not quite - you need to reduce your <overrules> for the lower bonuses...

At the moment your lower groups overrule 6 5 4 3 2 1 (except for 1)

It needs to flow down ->

7 overrules 6 5 4 3 2 1
6 overrules 5 4 3 2 1
5 overrules 4 3 2 1
4 overrules 3 2 1
3 overrules 2 1
2 overrules 1

OK?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:05 am

yeti_c wrote:Not quite - you need to reduce your <overrules> for the lower bonuses...

At the moment your lower groups overrule 6 5 4 3 2 1 (except for 1)

It needs to flow down ->
... SNIP SNIP ....
OK?

Wow. Duh! Its clear that 3 am wasn't the time to attempt that. Thanks
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:15 am

He he - no worries...

C.

PS Have mailed you that xsd.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby thegeneralpublic on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:17 am

As you have it written, you have to own the first two jumpgates to get the bonus, not any two (unless I read it wrong).
Cadet thegeneralpublic

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:25 am

thegeneralpublic wrote:As you have it written, you have to own the first two jumpgates to get the bonus, not any two (unless I read it wrong).

You've read it wrong...

There is a new tag <required> that allows you to specify collections of territories for each section of the bonus.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:30 am

yeti_c wrote:There is a new tag <required> that allows you to specify collections of territories for each section of the bonus.

I have a 1 Jump Gate Rule in the XML to give the +1 Bonus for owning one. IS that wrong?
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:48 am

maxdetjens wrote:
yeti_c wrote:There is a new tag <required> that allows you to specify collections of territories for each section of the bonus.

I have a 1 Jump Gate Rule in the XML to give the +1 Bonus for owning one. IS that wrong?

Nope - that's fine...

(Me previous example merely assumed you started bonuses at 2).

C.

EDIT - in fact your 1 and your 7 bonus blocks are the correct ones... the others are the ones that need fixing.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:07 pm

maxdetjens wrote:
Night Strike wrote:And for the heated bonus discussion that's about to ensue: I vote on raising each main bonus by 1 except for Neptune. I think that will solve most of the complaints. You may also consider raising the bonus of holding 5 or 7 Jump Gates up 1 each (to 4 and 5 respectively). Don't adjust the negative ones!

As someone (probably Pious) pointed out earlier Neptune is now harder to hold than Uranus even though its smaller.

I think I wrote that because I was counting territories if you did NOT control the Jump Gate. They would each have 3 entry points with Uranus having an extra territory to control (therefore giving it a higher bonus). If you go with Pious' statement, then raise each by 1 except for Uranus.
Major Night Strike

Postby Coleman on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:39 pm

Night Strike wrote:
maxdetjens wrote:

I think I wrote that because I was counting territories if you did NOT control the Jump Gate. They would each have 3 entry points with Uranus having an extra territory to control (therefore giving it a higher bonus). If you go with Pious' statement, then raise each by 1 except for Uranus.

I think I'm going to have to enter this argument now. I don't see why you would want all the bonuses to be higher then they currently are. It seems largely unnecessary to me unless the goal is to make the games played on this map go faster.

That said I don't see any real negative results of doing this, but I don't see any overwhelmingly positive results either.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:59 pm

Lets Recap so far
Pious wrote:Again, not sure if this has been pointed out, but Neptune is now harder to hold than Uranus (3 instead of 2) with the same bonus.

maxdetjens wrote:As someone (probably Pious) pointed out earlier Neptune is now harder to hold than Uranus even though its smaller.

Night Strike wrote:I think I wrote that because I was counting territories if you did NOT control the Jump Gate. They would each have 3 entry points with Uranus having an extra territory to control (therefore giving it a higher bonus). If you go with Pious' statement, then raise each by 1 except for Uranus.
Coleman wrote:I think I'm going to have to enter this argument now. I don't see why you would want all the bonuses to be higher then they currently are. It seems largely unnecessary to me unless the goal is to make the games played on this map go faster. That said I don't see any real negative results of doing this, but I don't see any overwhelmingly positive results either.

I think I cant leave Uranus and Neptune the same. And I cant see dropping Uranus (or Neptune if you feel that way) to 2. Saturn is harder to hold than Neptune. Jupiter is not as hard as saturn if you don't hold the gate but bigger. And KB is medium sized but very hard.
So I could see KB to 6, Jupiter 5, Saturn 5, Neptune 4, Asteroid Belt 4, Uranus 3, Inner Planets 3. leave the sub-regions and jump gates alone except for earth and moon, I could see it replaced with "any 2 of Earth Moon and Mars" gets you 1. And how about moons? I could see Jupiter Saturn and Uranus having a subbonus of 1 for collecting all the moons. I could also add the high orbits into the region and in order to get the moon bonus you'd need to control either the high or low orbit. (will be fun to fit all that into the key)
HAH! hows that for stirring the pot! Now fight amongst yourselves I need to go process the company payroll.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:33 pm

Can I be on the company payroll???? I need the extra cash. lol

Coleman, my justification for raising the bonuses is b/c of having so many attack lines in this map. Nearly every territory (especially in the open of space) is going to need multiple armies for defending. Up-ing the bonuses will help keep the game going b/c I could see some games potentially stalling out.

As for the sub-bonuses, I don't mind the Earth/Moon/Mars idea. I wouldn't add high orbits/moon bonuses. There are three reasons. First, your map is already fairly cluttered and you don't have the room to add more sub-bonuses. Second, I think this would make it more confusing and detract from the uniqueness of holding the planet itself. Lastly, I think those high orbits and others should stay as separate entities b/c it keeps with the "unclaimed openness" of space as I mentioned in an earlier post.
Major Night Strike

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:30 pm

I agree with most of what Night Strike said.

My opinions on bonuses:
I think that having, the earth and moon worth one is fine, adding in the possibility of Mars just makes it easier and different from the other continents.

Both Saturn and Uranus can be held with by holding 2 borders, the jump gate and the high orbit. In this way, they have an equal number of borders, and Saturn has only one more territory. I think that the Saturn and Uranus bonusees should be equal, or at the most, 1 apart.

I agree KB should be 6.

I believe Jupiter should also be a 6; it is a very big continent, but grabbing both orbits and the jump gate results in just 3 border territories.

Neptune looks like a hard continent to take, especially since the trojans dont even border the rest of the continent. Either a 3 or a 4 in my opinion.

The Asteroid belt and Inner planets seem good to me how they are.

Edit: I wouldnt mind seeing the Galilean moons having a sub-bonus of 2, after all, they are very important in space.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:26 pm

67 Territories, 7 regions, 6 sub-regions, Alternating Jump Gate Bonus, Jump Gates Start with 6 Neutral Armies.

MAP TEST

*XML.

Changes:
- Fix Large map coordinates
- Get the masses to sign off on bonus structure
- make it so the belt color doesn't show through the army circles.
- Add neutral start positions on JG in XML
- Make Uranus' uniform on key
- connection between Rings and SLO is better, it's still hard to see
- In the key where you list the Jump Gate Bonuses, make those lines for the chart similar to the outside border or something else "galactic".
- make the Asteroid Belt disappear from the army circles.
- In the key, put commas between Pluto, Charon, and Orcus[/quote]
- Blue doesn't show well, reduce fill transparency on Army circles
- Changed Bonues

Remaining Tasks (THIS LIST IS UPDATED UNTIL THE NEXT VERSION)
- Make Small Map
- Pixel Tweek Large map coordinates
- Get the masses to sign off on bonus structure
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:29 pm

I did a map test and blue was impossible to see. So I had to grey the army circles a bit. Its not a pretty but unless there is an XML option to adjust the army text I don't know what else todo.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 pm

If i didn't say anything I'm sure no one would notice. But then come live play time people would have a fit so I'll say it now and make sure you all notice and have a chance to comment.

I've added the XML for the jump gates to start neutral as previously decided. But It allows me to specify how many. I've started each gate with 6. IT makes them more of a late-early game or early mid-game factor than simply a bonus to be had on round 2 (in a freestyle game the effects might be more noticeable than a sequential game) It also puts the players in a quandary Should they leave the gate alone and count on the 6 armies to stop any attackers? Should they grab two gates and surprise attach a player using the 6 as a shield? I kinda like it but I'm not married to it. I could see 3, 4 or 5 as well. Its a new wrinkle
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:24 pm

I am very against starting 6 neutrals on the jump gates. That is a tall task to overcome.
Major Night Strike

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:28 pm

I agree with Night Strike. That means that you have to get rid of 12 armies just to get a bonus.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:29 pm

Also agreed, I think 2 or 3 is a good number
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:41 pm

the masses have spoken. 3 it is.
Cadet maxdetjens

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas