Conquer Club

South America [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby unriggable on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:20 pm

mibi wrote:there should be more green...

I absolutely LOVE this.
Cook unriggable

Postby edbeard on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:33 pm

It might be interesting to do a middle east revamp-eque take on the map with all shades of green. I'll definitely look into it.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby edbeard on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:10 pm

what do you guys think of the general direction of the colours?

how about the specific colours themselves?

I tried to put green where the most green was on the map that mibi posted (that's one I actually looked at a while ago when I was starting the map btw) and brown where there was more brown the map.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby oaktown on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:22 pm

This is my first look at this thread in a while, and I loved the first map I saw - the green one above. I was a bit disappointed to then see the full color version.
edit: while I was typing this you came up with new colors which still don't look as nice to me as the above sample. :(

My first impressions:
• Andes bonus should indeed be 3, not 4, unless you give it another attack route. This would't be a terrible idea, because you already have a couple of other places where things bottleneck due to the rives.
• Moving the B.A. border sounds like a good idea - it's a pretty tough start as it is if you're dropped in the southeast.
• Suriname title looks like it goes with Guyana - I'm sure to screw up that placement a few times.
• Uruguay to Buenos Aires... no room for a bridge?
• I'd vote no on Panama.
• Ocean color: i like C, but i'm colorblind so don't trust me.
• Title font: it's your map, and as this is simply a matter of taste you should make the call based on what flavor you want the map to have.
Captain oaktown

Postby edbeard on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:29 pm

just to be clear you are talking about the 'green' version I posted and not the one mibi made right?

edit: you are colourblind so don't take it the wrong way when I say that I'll wait to see what people with regular vision think

I think a bridge from Uruguay to B.A. looks out of place. And, the water route seems fine to me. I don't think it's a huge deal so the water route stays for now.

Yea bonuses are up in the air. I think Andy brought up another mountain pass from Santiago to Potosi. Which is looking more like a good idea.

I'm leaning towards cutting Pampas down to 2 borders and dropping that bonus. Seems like a good idea to me and I don't think one person has said it's a bad one.

Yea, I'm leaning towards to the title that's been on the map C I think it was. Feels like it fits a jungle/green theme.

I'm don't see how people will confuse Guyana and Suriname. I mean where the heck do you think the Guyana title goes? I'll move em around some more though. And, if I do change to title C, then I'll pick a new font.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby edbeard on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:41 pm

is it just that they are all the same colour shades so it's hard for you to distinguish continents? Because, there are other ways to solve that problem.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby oaktown on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:41 pm

edbeard wrote:just to be clear you are talking about the 'green' version I posted and not the one mibi made right?

Actually, I liked the mibi one better (we're posting simultaneously and it's confusing!) Mibi's green map gives the impression that you're looking at geographic or topographic map instead of a political map, a look that the newer one doesn't achieve so much in my opinion. Your green one may be better if the land had some texture so that it isn't just flat colors??

edbeard wrote:edit: you are colourblind so don't take it the wrong way when I say that I'll wait to see what people with regular vision think

:wink: gotcha.

edbeard wrote:I'm don't see how people will confuse Guyana and Suriname. I mean where the heck do you think the Guyana title goes? I'll move em around some more though. And, if I do change to title C, then I'll pick a new font.

It's not a matter of confusing them, because when you look at it there's only one way it works. however, I think a player should be able to look at a territory and instantly know what it is without having to logic it out based on what the surrounding territories are.

Hmm, actually the maps on this page are fine... i was looking back at page 9. I'll just shut up now.
Captain oaktown

Postby edbeard on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:57 pm

with textures. though I'm not a fan of texture.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby I GOT SERVED on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:35 pm

I actually really like the texture you added.

Oh and fix the colors on the legend.

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby mibi on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:08 pm

edbeard wrote:Image

with textures. though I'm not a fan of texture.

I like these colors better, but they are a bit dark.

If you like I can show your my secret method to obtain a soothing analogous color scheme. its easy.
Captain mibi

Postby edbeard on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:12 pm

please. maybe cross post it in one of the map making threads for all the forum to benefit
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby mibi on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:39 pm

edbeard wrote:please. maybe cross post it in one of the map making threads for all the forum to benefit

uh... then it wouldn't be a secret.
Captain mibi

Postby edbeard on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:45 pm

haha. PM me with it and I'll keep the secret.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby oaktown on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:08 pm

i was thinking one texture across the board... the textures in Pampas and the northern region look quite nice, while the linen texture in Mato Grosso et. al. has the wrong effect.
Captain oaktown

Postby edbeard on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:59 pm

Changes:

1a. New Colour Scheme
1b. Texture added

2. New Title Font

3. New Territory Label Font

4. New Legend Font

5. New Ocean Colour

6. Added Mountain Route from Andes to Gran Chaco

7a. Removed Border from Buenos Aires to Chubut
7b. Lowered Bonus for Pampas from 3 to 2

8. signature font and opacity chosen

9. Moved the Northmost ocean territory labels

To Do:

1. Add a bridge from Uruguay to Cordoba so Pampas isn't purely linear? Maybe a bridge from Mato Grosso to Parana as well?
2. Finish small XML
3. Finish small map circles
4. Add art / compass?
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:16 am

edbeard...very nice earthy tones for this latest version.
i'm still not sure about the three different fonts on the map, or is it four.
Keep up the good work.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:37 am

i liked the other textures better
but great sea change, colours change :)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:40 am

I'm a big fan of the new color scheme. Keep it, please, please, keep it.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby edbeard on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:47 am

thanks guys.

there's 3 fonts. sig font is same as the territory labels.

Don't know if you guys read my To Do List, but the more I think about it, the more I feel that a bridge from Parana to Mato Grosso is a good idea
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby edbeard on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:45 am

I realized that I didn't use the title font for the legend because it was too dark, but then I removed a shadow I had on there before, so anyway, now there's just two fonts on the map.

I think it looks pretty good except for the 3's in the bonus. I'll try to chop off bits of em to make em more readable.

Yes I realize that the words in the legend are not lined up. I'm going to sleep instead of doing that at the moment.
Yes I realize that the words in the legend are not lined up. I'm going to sleep instead of doing that at the moment.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby DiM on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:40 am

i haven't followed this map so some of my comments have probably been already brought up for discussion. sorry about that.

so here goes.

1. overall impression. it doesn't say south america. sorry but nothing in that image makes me think "hell yeah that's south america as i know it"
marvaddin is from brazil so he should know south america is passion the latin blood makes people great lovers and great fighters. they put heart and soul and sweat into everything. nothing in the image represents that.
2. title. stencil? come on. it should be something curvy and wavy something something emotional. same for legend.
3. darkness. the colors are a poor choice. lighten them in some places the army circles are hardly visible.
4. borders. too thick for my taste. shave a pixel from them.
5. mountains. not good but not bad either i feel as if there's something wrong about them but i can't put my finger on it.
6. sea. that's the worst part of this map. it doesn't fit at all with the angle with the style with nothing. it's just a pic of a water that's put as a background.
7. sea routes. too bold and big. make them more discrete.
8. move amazonas circle a bit upwards
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:23 am

edbeard wrote:Image

I realized that I didn't use the title font for the legend because it was too dark, but then I removed a shadow I had on there before, so anyway, now there's just two fonts on the map.

I think it looks pretty good except for the 3's in the bonus. I'll try to chop off bits of em to make em more readable.

love those colors! great improvement
Captain mibi

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:36 am

Im leaving the graphics part most to Ed, since people usually dislike my graphics skills, lol.

Anyway...
I agree about the passion thing, but I dont know how we could represent that... Maybe I could get some images of independence wars, or Paraguay war... but there is a place to them in the map? Maybe other way to increase the appeal wouldb be giving it the aspect of an old map (from the navigations time), more alike to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Am%C ... %C3%A9.JPG
Also I dont know if its possible (hmmm, the title is in a very interesting frame, isnt it?)

I still dont really like this title and would appreciate some more options, like DiM, although its really the best one among the 3 options until now. And the ocean, no options were good to me, I was thinking about other texture maybe.

The textures in the continents are good, I think. But I fell the colours are wrong. Pampas is like a Grassland, while the Caatinga is a dry, semi arid vegetation. But the Caatinga in the map is the most exuberant green, I feel this is wrong. In fact, the new colours are also bringing ohter problem. The legend is not readable. Looks like this font is not to use with dark colours. Gran Chaco and Patagonia are terrible to read.

I dont think I would create any bridge in the Paraná river, the little "bottleneck" there is not a problem. What I would suggest instead would be a bridge connecting Amapá to Xingu, instead of Japurá to Rondônia. For now, you need have the Caatinga to use the Suriname route. If Caatinga has already an owner, imagine a guy with an armies pile in Mato Grosso wanting to attack the Guyanan Highlands, lol. In fact, Guyanan strong point is being isolated, huh?

I keep my opinion that we could split Santiago, having Andes as 7 territories and 4 borders to bonus of 4 :)

And you still need to move Tierra del Fuego name nearer to it 8)
Major Marvaddin

Postby DiM on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:03 am

Marvaddin wrote:Anyway...
I agree about the passion thing, but I dont know how we could represent that... Maybe I could get some images of independence wars, or Paraguay war... but there is a place to them in the map? Maybe other way to increase the appeal wouldb be giving it the aspect of an old map (from the navigations time), more alike to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Am%C ... %C3%A9.JPG
Also I dont know if its possible (hmmm, the title is in a very interesting frame, isnt it?)

I still dont really like this title and would appreciate some more options, like DiM, although its really the best one among the 3 options until now. And the ocean, no options were good to me, I was thinking about other texture maybe.

i think it would be better if the water was replaced by images of the carnival of rio some wars maybe simon bolivar somewhere or a coffee plantation all made to fit like in the india map here: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15181&highlight=india

and yes that title frame is really nice.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:20 am

I dislike the new murky colours...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas