Conquer Club

RAIL USA [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby onbekende on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:53 am

perhaps the mountains are indeed a bit wierd, perhaps the inside of a railroad cathedral?
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby Keredrex on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Lookin Good... I also think the font on the Bonus board should change... Possibly use the same font as the 3 letter territory names and it is a bit dark for some of the colors used on it....... also the Small legend on the right ... the -3 letter names... Looks like it is saying MINUS 3... not a big deal though...
... I would lighten the Blue background a bit...
otherwise... its great
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:16 am

Keredrex wrote:Lookin Good... I also think the font on the Bonus board should change... Possibly use the same font as the 3 letter territory names and it is a bit dark for some of the colors used on it.......
I needed to use a font that had the same width for each letter. Since these arrival/departure signs use little individual letters, they all need to be the same. This was the best font I could find that would allow this. I f anyone has a better font please make sure each character is the same width.

Keredrex wrote:...... also the Small legend on the right ... the -3 letter names... Looks like it is saying MINUS 3...
otherwise... its great
I can fix that. They are * and just there to show that there is more than one instruction. I will remove it and see how it looks.

cairnswk wrote:
KEYOGI wrote:I like the new legend, but I feel it could perhaps still use some tweaking. How about using some different shades of blue so it doesn't contrast so much with the background? Also, perhaps a different font?

That sounds like a good idea, Keyogi. :) Let's see how that looks!
I also think the Station board doesn't fit with the mountains in the background....this is what I meant in previous post about its overall appeal.
I am going to incorporate the Title into the sign board, switch the railroad line names around as suggested by onbekende and look into making a different background.......

onbekende wrote:perhaps the mountains are indeed a bit wierd, perhaps the inside of a railroad cathedral?

......probably something like this or inside a station.
Major WidowMakers

Postby onbekende on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:25 am

http://l2527.be/7SPECIAAL/Langs%20het%2 ... ntraal.jpg

thats our major railroad cathedral (bit under construction thou)

but you get the idea
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Well there is a feeling that the new legend board design does not flow well with the night train/mountain/moon scene. Based on some discussion the new legend lends itself to be more of an interior shot of a station.

Here are several pictures I found on Wikipedia. Does anyone have any opinion on which ones might look good.

Basically the actual map of the USA will cover most of the background. I am not sure if the background picture will look that well.
Grand Central
DC
DC

I like the 2nd pic. What does everyone else think?
WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:03 pm

Version 13
OK I used Pic #2 from the previous post and adjusted teh entire map.

What do you think?

The background is almost all gone and confusing. I do like the legend much better now.
I am still going to update the order of the rail lines and bonuses according to onbekende.

Major WidowMakers

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:06 pm

i think the image could work but right now its TO subtle and soft compared the the rest of the map

ive also noticed that the pink and purple rail lines next to each other at the central station could cause some confusion.

EDIT: actually the image inst that bad. the problem i see is that the top right corner of the background image is lighter and seems to clash with the strong colors. the more midtone parts of the background are fine.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:06 pm

i liked the old background. especially the moon but i guess the train station image fits.

PS: what's up with cairnswk's sig in the butterfly? :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:16 pm

The old background was nice, but this new one gives a whole new feel to the map and fits well with the legend. I like the title incorporated into the legend as well. Good job all round.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:40 am

WM...I am in the same army as DiM on the old background. I think it was much better on the map....back then.

However, as I pointed out, the old image didn't fit well with the overall look and the new image as Keyogi touts is better for the design all around.
I don't think it is out of place; I really like the title incorporated into the flicker board....job well done there.
And moving the "destructions" and sigs is also a bonus that fits well.

Two suggestions:
* is it possible to dull the ceiling of the station background especially around the Chicago station area and also on the left side near SAC.
* as i mentioned before, the colours on the legend board perhaps just needs a little glow around them or something similar to make them appear like lights on the boards....perhaps even that dotted font previously suggested.

But very good work. I knew you could do it! :wink: :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:45 am

DiM wrote:PS: what's up with cairnswk's sig in the butterfly? :lol:

Trying new sigature design DiM...it may work on some maps but perhaps a different version is required for others. I think WM has done a great job and the design psd will allow other colours to be incroporated. :) Nothing is final or set in concrete yet.
Private cairnswk

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:47 am

I have to agree with DiM, Keyogi and CairnsWK. I liked the old train background too. I was trying to figure out how to keep it but this seemed better (as everyone else has said) with the new legend.

I am going to rework the legend and try to make the board look better. But the title in the legend board really helps. Since I have a littel room on each side now I may make each section of the names the same size and the letter spacing a little wider. All of which will be based on teh order that onbekende pointed out a few posts ago. Just to explain, his order is more of an west to east, left to right layout. It seems to help read the map better.

The background image can be toned down easily but it hen starts to lose some of its purpose. I might just add a glow around the entire playable map are and see if that helps differentiate the map from the background pic.

OK Thanks for the comments

WM
Last edited by WidowMakers on Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby DiM on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:05 am

cairnswk wrote:

Trying new sigature design DiM...it may work on some maps but perhaps a different version is required for others. I think WM has done a great job and the design psd will allow other colours to be incroporated. :) Nothing is final or set in concrete yet.

i understand but still, a butterfly? :roll:
that's kinda girlish :lol: maybe make it a zombie man-eating butterfly that has claws and teeth :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:10 am

WidowMakers wrote:I have to agree with DiM, Jeyogi and CairnsWK. I liked the old train background too. I was trying to figure out how to keep it but this seemed better (as everyone else has said) with the new legend.

I am going to rework the legend and try to make the board look better. But the title in the legend board really helps. Since I have a littel room on each side now I may make each section of the names the same size and the letter spacing a little wider. All of which will be based on teh order that onbekende pointed out a few posts ago. Just to explain, his order is more of an west to east, left to right layout. It seems to help read the map better.

The background image can be toned down easily but it hen starts to lose some of its purpose. I might just add a glow around the entire playable map are and see if that helps differentiate the map from the background pic.

OK Thanks for the comments

WM

the old background had something poetic about it. a steam train through the mountains in the middle of the night with the moon watching over it.
it seemed like i could even feel it. the dum-dum noise of the traks some crickets in the background and some old gramophone music playing silently in the restaurant cart.

anyway back to the new image. i don't like the fact that it does not highlight the map at all. in fact it makes it kinda hard to see. especially in the north eastern corner.
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:17 am

DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

that's kinda girlish :lol: maybe make it a zombie man-eating butterfly that has claws and teeth :lol:

Girlish eh? But is not my avatar a butterfly?
You can LOL with you third eye and darkened eyes....i prefer to pupate, crysalate, and spread wings....an ongoing cycle.
Thanks for the joke anyway.
:wink:
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:21 am

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

You can LOL with you third eye and darkened eyes....i prefer to pupate, crysalate, and spread wings....an ongoing cycle.

yep your avvy is a butterfly but that one looks evil. look how he stretched his antennae and legs. he's ready to attack and devour anything in his path :lol:
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:35 am

DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

yep your avvy is a butterfly but that one looks evil. look how he stretched his antennae and legs. he's ready to attack and devour anything in his path :lol:

i gotta use this -

"takes sherbet, i'm sure of it"
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:36 pm

cairnswk wrote:"takes sherbet, i'm sure of it"

Ruins it for yourself.

**takes sherbert**

if you remeber page 7 of this thread cairn . . .
gimil wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:
cairnswk wrote:I'm pumped! \:D/

*takes sherbert*

you ruined it for yourself

Nah Gimil...sherbert is full of "funny stuff"

I is high on the vibes of life... :D

you ruined it for yourself.

*takes vibes of life*

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:48 pm

Alright guys, back on topic please. :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DiM on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:44 am

KEYOGI wrote:Alright guys, back on topic please. :wink:

**takes sherbet from Keyogi** :roll:
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:23 am

DiM wrote:
KEYOGI wrote:Alright guys, back on topic please. :wink:

**takes sherbet from Keyogi** :roll:

ruined it for yourself :roll:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Gilligan on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:26 am

The butterfly has no head, if you didn't know. 8)
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:11 pm

Gilligan wrote:The butterfly has no head, if you didn't know. 8)

yeah its there gilligan, just blended into the darkness on the background.

EDIT\\ its on the version WM sent me, but not in the forum....Gilligan you're correct...apologies. :oops:
WM, can you amend this please. :)
Private cairnswk

Nice

Postby Keredrex on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:21 pm

I Like Both Versions... The old Train Background and Moon... And The Tunnel... As for the tunnel version... Add a thin white outline to the border of USA....just enough so the country doen't bleed to nothing with the background
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:56 am

VERSION 14

Here are the updates.
1) I changed the order of the names in the legend to correspond to the layout of the map (thanks onbekende)
2) I made the text in the legend feel more like a LCD panel and LCD.
3) The underlined 3 letters of the service line was hard to make look good on the new legend so I edited the text to say "First three letters" Instead of "3 underlined letters"
4) Fixed CairnsWK sig so the butterfly has a head :)

NOTE: I know there are some stray blue glows behind the map. I will fix this next time.

Major WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas