Conquer Club

Madness (Our House) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Madness (Our House) [Quenched]

Postby cairnswk on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:34 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:I wasn't here when this was going through development, but I can see at least a dozen things I'd like to be fixed on this. However, it's already been quenched, and we might as well let it be an unpopular map. I don't like it, and thus choose to avoid it (random permitting). I suggest you do the same.

As for the snob comment … oh come on.

.44, yes i realise you probably weren't here when this was being developed. But for those who did follow it and comment...they seemed quite happy with it otherwise it wouldn't have been quenched.
And this is a challenge with retrospectivity....
Something that is done several months ago is:
a. not going to continue being as popular as it was when it was first developed unless its the classic map (default)
b. there is always going to be someone like yourself come along afterwards and say, shit, bad job on that one.
I will agree with you, it's not one of my best efforts, but i beleive it fits what the map is meant to represent and the gameplay is a bit of fun. If it's unpopular, then perhaps it doesn't fit in with everyone's (current members/players) idea of being a map that has some mystical aspect relevant to folk-lore, or a map that is entirely geographic or warlike, and has to have professional photoshop finishes to it...(btw, i don't work in PS)

You well know, that i am onle of the foundry's mapmakers who does his utmost to try and please people, but i will only do that when there is huge outcry. and let's face it...even the recent changes for Das Schloss have taken forever and a day to get done. so i am not in a hurry now to consider revamping this one. IMHO this map will always be somewhat unpopular for reasons given, not because of the unstunning graphics.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Monsterblood on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:28 pm

I just want to comment on this map, my first time trying this out and I absolutely love it. Its unique maps like these (crossword, madness etc) makes CC even more enjoyable. Its always good now and again to play on a map that has no relation to countries at all and just something different and fun. Keep it up mate, I hope to see more unique of maps like this coming out in the future. Very pleased to play on it...simple, attractive, different but fun indeed.
Sergeant 1st Class Monsterblood

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Monsterblood wrote:I just want to comment on this map, my first time trying this out and I absolutely love it. Its unique maps like these (crossword, madness etc) makes CC even more enjoyable. Its always good now and again to play on a map that has no relation to countries at all and just something different and fun. Keep it up mate, I hope to see more unique of maps like this coming out in the future. Very pleased to play on it...simple, attractive, different but fun indeed.

Thanks Monsterblood. Please you like it...and the variety. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby conquerclubftw on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Cairnswk,

I really like the whole idea of the map. However, if the doghouse does not start neutral, wouldn't one player have a very big advantage at the beginning of the game?
And... if you agree that the graphics need to be revamped, I can definitely help with that.

cairnswk wrote:
demonfork wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Thanks for your input guys, but it ain't gonna happen. Sorry. ;)

Why? Because you say so? Are you too above it?

Typical foundry snob attitude.

Yes Demon Fork, because i say so. My map.
If people think that i am going to run around after every little thing that they don't like on a map after it's quenched, then they're wrong. A Map takes it's journey through the foundry and whilst it is in production that is the opportunity for everyone to have their say.
But it seems that those that have the biggest whinge after quenching don't bother to comment on maps whilst they are in production. This map is already quenched and if you aren't happy with it, then don't play it. Otherwise, if you desperately want to play it, then play it, but don't expect me to be your slave of whim. this for me is a hobby, not a business.
There is another way to change a quenched map, and that is to have it re-vamped. Get that movement going if you're game.
As for the typical foundry snob attitude, i think you're way out of your depth there mate, and if you're making that comment on behalf of others, then let them come out and say so themselves.
Sergeant 1st Class conquerclubftw

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi Cairns, I'm glad you made this map, and it's true that it does add variety to the map selection to have this kind of thing available.

As I posted in the other thread, some of the borders are slightly unclear.
Particularly the horizontal borders in the Common Areas region....Lounge<->Hallway and Hallway<->Entrance, obviously due to the floor texture.

Also, it might just be me, but I overlooked the Patio<->Rear Path connection in my first games on the map. Maybe that's because the Patio<->Den hallway impassable is about the same colour/thickness as the real border, though I'm sure I'll live regardless.

Oh, and I'd also like to suggest that the Dog begins as a neutral region. Not only is the immediate +1 bonus a nuisance (unless you hold it, I guess), but taking another region out of the starting positions might reduce the number of starting positions to 11. At the moment, in a 1vs1 game, both players start with 12 regions, giving +4 and an immediate advantage to the first player.

But, hey, it's your map; and it's evidently functional, what with over 11,000 finished games.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:23 pm

ManBungalow wrote:Hi Cairns, I'm glad you made this map, and it's true that it does add variety to the map selection to have this kind of thing available.

As I posted in the other thread, some of the borders are slightly unclear.
Particularly the horizontal borders in the Common Areas region....Lounge<->Hallway and Hallway<->Entrance, obviously due to the floor texture.

Also, it might just be me, but I overlooked the Patio<->Rear Path connection in my first games on the map. Maybe that's because the Patio<->Den hallway impassable is about the same colour/thickness as the real border, though I'm sure I'll live regardless.

Oh, and I'd also like to suggest that the Dog begins as a neutral region. Not only is the immediate +1 bonus a nuisance (unless you hold it, I guess), but taking another region out of the starting positions might reduce the number of starting positions to 11. At the moment, in a 1vs1 game, both players start with 12 regions, giving +4 and an immediate advantage to the first player.

But, hey, it's your map; and it's evidently functional, what with over 11,000 finished games.

Thanks manBungalow for commenting.
I am now more partial to hearing about these things than i was before, i still don't know about the dog house starting neutral through, i guess may have to go through that all over again. Whichever way, some people are bound to be unhappy with things if they change.

For now though, i am considering a revamp along these lines, but doing this is in Illustrator/PS for clearer lines.
No changes to actual gameplay except the discussion about doghouse, but certainly a change to graphics along these lines
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:44 am

Now it looks like the Master bedroom comes out unto Common Hallway, while before it was Den Hallway. desired?

Why 3D, this is a 2D world!
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm

onbekende wrote:Now it looks like the Master bedroom comes out unto Common Hallway, while before it was Den Hallway. desired?

Why 3D - a new perspective for this map. We do have a couple of 3D maps with 2D elements, so up to a point it can work.
I don't know if i can pull it off though. :(
This map is only a prospective view done in a few minutes, so everything will still be unclear as it has not been re-worked in another program to make it clearer...yet.
Private cairnswk

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:47 pm

cairnswk wrote:
onbekende wrote:Now it looks like the Master bedroom comes out unto Common Hallway, while before it was Den Hallway. desired?

Why 3D - a new perspective for this map. We do have a couple of 3D maps with 2D elements, so up to a point it can work.
I don't know if i can pull it off though. :(
This map is only a prospective view done in a few minutes, so everything will still be unclear as it has not been re-worked in another program to make it clearer...yet.

Maybe it would be best if you made a 3D map from scratch, instead of reworking Madness in this theme ?

It could be a perspective image like this:

When I posted Madness in the revamp thread, it's only because some of the borders are quite faint.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:57 pm

ManBungalow wrote:...
Maybe it would be best if you made a 3D map from scratch, instead of reworking Madness in this theme ?

It could be a perspective image like this:

When I posted Madness in the revamp thread, it's only because some of the borders are quite faint.

map in 3d? that is probably possible.
I still want to take the Madness map into another software program, so perhaps i will retain it in 2D.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:07 pm

I do have another question though...are Dim and Wicked still appropriate for this map?
I'd like to replace the roses and Telvannia on the fountain.
The butterfly needs a revamp
and overall colours need one also
...in my eyes anyway
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:20 pm

A small note if you're going to replace some names.
Remember to keep the territory list consistent with the current version, I mean everything has to be in the same order so if Wicked is the 10th territory in the list in the old xml and you will rename it "Joe",then Joe has to be the 10th territory also in the new version. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:25 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:A small note if you're going to replace some names.
Remember to keep the territory list consistent with the current version, I mean everything has to be in the same order so if Wicked is the 10th territory in the list in the old xml and you will rename it "Joe",then Joe has to be the 10th territory also in the new version. ;)

thanks tnb80 for that...still trying this out, but will keep that in mind
i won't do a revamp unless it can be done successfully.
Private cairnswk

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:30 pm

I would agree with an update in the names. However, I like the doghouse bonus. Please keep it as is.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:22 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:I would agree with an update in the names. However, I like the doghouse bonus. Please keep it as is.

Thanks DoomYoshi. I think that will be kept.

Decisions:
1. flat map - not perspective
2. re-do the graphics
3. discuss the doghouse bonus more
4. update two names

Anyways...some progress while i have time...
Private cairnswk

Postby Ickyketseddie on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:43 am

Be nice to see this revamped. I love the gameplay just how it is though i wouldn't change a thing. Doghouse imo works fine the way it is.

Could run some sort of comp/tourney for the neighbours names?
Captain Ickyketseddie

Postby chapcrap on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Dog House
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby knowman on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:33 am

First time I've played on this map. I'd like to add my vote to making the DogHouse Neutral to begin with, if there's an update. And if there's voting. 8-)
Captain knowman

Postby greenoaks on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:05 am

could the 4 names at the bottom be updated to reflect our house now ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:30 am

greenoaks wrote:could the 4 names at the bottom be updated to reflect our house now ?

names for suggestion :?:
Last edited by cairnswk on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:37 am

Ickyketseddie wrote:Be nice to see this revamped. I love the gameplay just how it is though i wouldn't change a thing. Doghouse imo works fine the way it is.

Could run some sort of comp/tourney for the neighbours names?

Agreed.

Nothing wrong with the doghouse.

I don't know why some people get so excited about someone dropping a +1 bonus. Yeah, maybe this time it was your opponent. Maybe next time it will be you. It's nice to drop a bonus every now and then, and +1 is hardly overwhelming. It's much better than another damn neutral that nobody will ever take except in 6-player flat rate.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:24 am

Yep. leave the dog house in the mix. As for names, I would say to leave them as they are.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby chapcrap on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:50 am

I agree with greenoaks about the names. It would be a fun update to the maps like this and Clandemonium, to have updated territory names with the changing CC community.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Gilligan on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:34 am

chapcrap wrote:I agree with greenoaks about the names. It would be a fun update to the maps like this and Clandemonium, to have updated territory names with the changing CC community.

I talked to Kabanellas not too long ago, and he said at the moment Clandemonium won't be updated (I even offered to change the XML!)
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:19 am

cairnswk wrote:
greenoaks wrote:could the 4 names at the bottom be updated to reflect our house now ?

names for suggestion :?:

i am quite willing to update the names, that's why i ask for suggestions folks.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas