Charleston, SC [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Charleston, SC [Quenched]

Postby RjBeals on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:01 pm

ImageImageImage Image

MOST RECENT MAPS

Click image to enlarge.

RECENT UPDATES
  • Renamed territory "Wildlife Marine Resource" to it's original name "Fort Johnson"
  • and "East Cooper" to "Wando Port".
  • New water route was added from Folley Beach, West Morris to Parrot Point. This makes the +3 bonus fair (same now as Isle of Palms).
  • Went back to original "blocky" text. After looking at this map for over a year, I tend to come back to this original font. There's something unique about it. I know some expressed concerns over readibilty, but on all 3 of my computer monitors, I have no problems with the names. I really don't think it's a big problem.
  • I also went back to include the army circles. I know that they are not necessary, but I just like how they look on the map.

REVISION HISTORY
REV-10
REV-9
Rev-8
Rev-7
Rev-6
Rev-5
Rev-4
REV-3
REV-2
REV-1
Original
Google Map, Charleston, SC

DETAILS
Number of Territories: 60
Number of Bonus Regions (Continents): 11
Large Map Size: 800 x 600

EDIT
Charleston was a focal point of the American Revolution, and the American Civil War. It is the 2nd largest port city on the US East Coast. It's also my favorite city in the US! Many historic battles took place here, although this is not a "historic" map. It is based on present day borders.

I decided to revisit my abandoned Charleston, SC map. I love the city too much to let it fall into the furnace. I'm most likely going to keep the graphics simple, since there are 60 territ's and too much fluff gets confusing (at least to me). I am still experimenting with the style - I do want to add some local flare, but that will come in later updates.

Discussion Points
  • Does anyone have a MAJOR problem with the font style?
Last edited by RjBeals on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:08 pm

things I don't like:
Pixely borders(but neither do you so no probs there)

Rivers through territories, just sort of bothers me they don't look great graphically and they don't help game play, if anything the confusion hinders it.

I really like the water, title, and legend so whatever you do don't change that, everything else is looking pretty darn good.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:35 pm

Rj Beals...sorry but this has to start in New Ideas (Heating) and progress out to Foundry.
Perhaps you could get a poll going to create some discussion etc.
Also, a post on the concept and why you'd like to see this map succeed.
While i might like the graphics and think this could prove worthy, the foundry still has to approve also. :wink: :)
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby RjBeals on Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:42 pm

Opps.

I don't know what kind of poll to create. I'll think about the rest :wink:
Private RjBeals

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:22 am

RjBeals wrote:Opps.

I don't know what kind of poll to create. I'll think about the rest :wink:

Ah...you could ask the forum if they'd be interested in this map. :)
Corporal cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby RjBeals on Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:22 pm

Come on cairns... anything? Should I add some trees? I didn't get to the bridges / land connections yet? Are the color too weak? Is is too confusing? Is Charleston not globally known enough to pursue a map?
Private RjBeals

Postby jako on Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:31 pm

could experiment with some better fonts?

and everything does seem pixelly but u said ur gonna work on that. i dont really know what is so famous about charleston, but im willing to play a map if it looks good.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby unriggable on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Looks pretty good, maybe you could add attack lines between islands?
Cook unriggable

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:36 am

In my opinion the only thing better about this new revision is the borders.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby jako on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:44 am

reverend_kyle wrote:In my opinion the only thing better about this new revision is the borders.

and the font.

Lieutenant jako

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby RjBeals on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Hmm... I'm afraid that not enough people know the city of Charleston, therefore there probably will not be much interest in the map.. It's a well known city in the south-east USA, but not really world-wide.
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Experimenting with land connectors. See first post.
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:34 am

14 Votes to continue / 1 vote against.

Seems there is some interest in this map, but not too much discussion. Any more feedback before I waste more time?
Private RjBeals

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:14 pm

Charleston....Rj....perhaps was it famous during the American War of Independance? Fort Sumter....USS Yorktown what are these terts...famous...perhaps try tourist atttactions....large industries etc.

Try sonething along those lines....

I do very much like your map....i think this is large version?....
the continents are very large though...i.e. lots of terts.
It's looking quite polished....but just not enough interest generated!
Planning on doing some marketing? to the masses. :)
Corporal cairnswk

Postby jako on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:01 am

looking quite sharp. very clean and the texture looks very good.

no more pixelation.

Lieutenant jako

Next

Return to The Atlas