Conquer Club

New York City [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:49 pm

benny profane wrote:
gimil wrote:
benny profane wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:I actually kinda like the font... makes me think New York for some reason. Maybe it's the same font as the Times.

we wanted to use the new york times font, that would have been great.
but it's obviously copyrighted.
we found a sample, and we could fiddle with it, but there's other stuff we want to try out first.

I dont think font can be copywritten, i may be wrong thou.

damn. you might be right. just found a download.
well, not it's back on the table!

IF i where you I would look into it to be safe.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby benny profane on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:50 pm

gimil wrote:
benny profane wrote:
gimil wrote:
benny profane wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:I actually kinda like the font... makes me think New York for some reason. Maybe it's the same font as the Times.

we found a sample, and we could fiddle with it, but there's other stuff we want to try out first.

absolutely.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby mibi on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:03 pm

benny profane wrote:
gimil wrote:
benny profane wrote:
gimil wrote:
benny profane wrote:

absolutely.

commercial fonts can and are copywritten and need licenses to be able to be used. ofcourse they are manyimitations which are often free.
Captain mibi

Postby snapdoodle on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:19 pm

Small

Greetings all,

We've got a number of graphical and bonus changes.

Here's our done list:

-Thickened continent borders
-added street sign to legend
-added drop shadow to continent names
-changed water color
-changed font of body of water names
-rasterized & set anti-alias of type
-ran bonuses through bonus calculator

We really want this water color. It offers a sense of mood to the map for us more suitable to New York City.

It's kinda dirty and the old color is a bit too cheery.

Plus, I think it's pretty clear it's water.

Let us know what you think.

I'm getting married on Tuesday! So maybe no Wednesday update.

-snap and benny

good night.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:14 am

Maybe the drop shadow on the continent names could be slightly sharper (only slightly) and closer to the actual word. Also, congrats on getting married. I expect a Wednesday update, tho. Everybody knows that CC comes before your personal life :D . (jk)
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby mibi on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:46 am

have fun at your wedding!
Captain mibi

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:49 pm

Is there any reason why the islands above Staten Island have the current connection layout? If not, perhaps add one from Ellis Island to Governors Island.

Also, you may have to move the army shadow for 6 Train in Pelham Bay, and also Pelham Bay's ...so 3 digits or more can fit on the map and not be cut off.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:17 pm

That "WUZ" really bothers me... I like to think graffiti has better grammar than the internet. :wink:

I otherwise love the changes though.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby oaktown on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:51 pm

i continue to like the way this is coming along... nice work. graffiti signature is brilliant.

My immediate concern is still around some of the bonuses. Compared to existing maps they run a bit high, which in my opinion is fine since they are consistently high across the map. But what you may run into with high bonuses is that if somebody gets a good initial placement they will have a considerable advantage early on. East Brooklyn is especially high: +5 for a three territory region that a player could very well land to begin the game.

I know that you ran the bonus calculator on this map, but I think if you guys play-tested it you'd see that common sense trumps the bonus calculators. In my opinion the bonus calculators have two errors:
1. they over-value the number of attacking territories. I don't care how many people can hit East Brooklyn: if you've five or six armies on each territory you can't lose it early, because players tend not to try to hit a 5 with a 6.
2. they don't consider the overall map size. The odds of starting the game with all of a three territory bonus are (I think) greater on an 80 territory map than on a 24 territory map.

In other news... you may want to make it clear on the legend whether or not subway stations are required to hold a region.

And I know this isn't my department, but the region title shadows looked like smudges to me at first.
Captain oaktown

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:03 pm

oaktown wrote:i continue to like the way this is coming along... nice work. graffiti signature is brilliant.

My immediate concern is still around some of the bonuses. Compared to existing maps they run a bit high, which in my opinion is fine since they are consistently high across the map. But what you may run into with high bonuses is that if somebody gets a good initial placement they will have a considerable advantage early on. East Brooklyn is especially high: +5 for a three territory region that a player could very well land to begin the game.

I know that you ran the bonus calculator on this map, but I think if you guys play-tested it you'd see that common sense trumps the bonus calculators. In my opinion the bonus calculators have two errors:
1. they over-value the number of attacking territories. I don't care how many people can hit East Brooklyn: if you've five or six armies on each territory you can't lose it early, because players tend not to try to hit a 5 with a 6.
2. they don't consider the overall map size. The odds of starting the game with all of a three territory bonus are (I think) greater on an 80 territory map than on a 24 territory map.

In other news... you may want to make it clear on the legend whether or not subway stations are required to hold a region.

And I know this isn't my department, but the region title shadows looked like smudges to me at first.

Completely agree, except I like the smudge look. Makes it look dirtier.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby benny profane on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:03 pm

hey folks...
snap is obviously busy, but i wanted to bump the thread and post our to do list.
to do:
-slightly sharpen the drop shadows of continent names
-add connection between ellis island and governors island
-nudge pelham bay army circle and pelham bay station army circle
-see if we can fit a line in the legend stating that stations are not needed for continent bonuses (still not sure this is necessary...other comments?)
-most importantly, adjust the bonuses.
-also, we are considering putting in a small statue of liberty on liberty island (i'm skeptical of how good it will look)...we'll see how it goes.

we'd like to get as much done as possible in the next update (soon!), so if anyone can think of any possible criticism/suggestions, please post them!

also, InkLOsed, snap and i are in favor of the "wuz" instead of "were" in the legend. if anyone else wants to weigh in on this, please do.

we are VERY excited about this map, so many thanks to everyone for their help and support!

-benny
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:04 pm

mibi wrote:
benny profane wrote:
gimil wrote:
benny profane wrote:
gimil wrote:
benny profane wrote:

absolutely.

commercial fonts can and are copywritten and need licenses to be able to be used. ofcourse they are manyimitations which are often free.

Those dont look like the New York Times font
Its more like Old English or something

edit:
this one is very close IMO
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FONT
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby benny profane on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:22 pm

i don't think we're going to use that font anyways.
we both prefer the street sign.
but thanks!
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby Roger Dodger on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:15 am

Snappy,

being a NY'er i like your map.

i've lived in park slope, bklyn, bronx, south beach staten island. : D
So, I sticka my tonga at all youa.

Proud Member of XI Games
Private Roger Dodger

Lookin' Good!

Postby FreeMan10 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:40 pm

Benny & Snap-

Great job with this map. It wasn't at all obvious how much effort goes into creating these until I read through the whole thread.

I've got a couple of thoughts for you:

1) I love the 'wuz'! Only way to go.
2) Maybe use a more 'tag' style font for the graffiti - either the Latino script or big & puffy? What you've got works, but I've ridden the subways in NYC - that would get you laughed out of the station! Of course, there's not much room for it on the sign, so you may have to stick with what you've got.
3) In the legend, the bonus for Staten Island has been lost for me on every version of the map. I think it's because it's got no subcategories (sub-continents), but it just seems to disappear or become a header for what's below it. Maybe put '3 Staten Island' in the SI yellow below it might help?

I like the islands in the Ellis/Liberty/Governors chain - that leads to...
4) I wouldn't try to put Lady Liberty out there - there's barely enough room for the army circle as it is. Unless (this is probably totally against the rules, but I'll throw it out there anyway) you make the army circle Statue of Liberty shaped for just the one location.
5) I wouldn't add a link from Ellis to Governors. This is a nice refuge to recover if you're a bit battered and beaten - a place to catch your breath, re-arm and prepare to re-join the fight.

6) I think the water color is just perfect. Dingy gray just screams 'New York'!

I think that's enough rambling now. As you've probably noticed, I'm brand new here, so you can take this all with a grain of salt, but sometimes an outsider will notice things that the establishment won't. Absolutely no offense taken if you tell me my suggestions aren't useful.

FreeMan
Cadet FreeMan10

Re: Lookin' Good!

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:52 pm

FreeMan10 wrote:I think that's enough rambling now. As you've probably noticed, I'm brand new here, so you can take this all with a grain of salt, but sometimes an outsider will notice things that the establishment won't. Absolutely no offense taken if you tell me my suggestions aren't useful.

FreeMan

Wow - if all first posts were this good the server would overload!!!

3) In the legend, the bonus for Staten Island has been lost for me on every version of the map. I think it's because it's got no subcategories (sub-continents), but it just seems to disappear or become a header for what's below it. Maybe put '3 Staten Island' in the SI yellow below it might help?

I think this is a great idea.

Unless (this is probably totally against the rules, but I'll throw it out there anyway) you make the army circle Statue of Liberty shaped for just the one location.

That could work.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby HungrySomali on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Wow, this is one of the best map ideas I've seen in a long time. I really like the subway stop idea. Keep up the good work!
Corporal HungrySomali

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:42 pm

1) im not feeling the water color.... it seems like its just a mass of land in the middle of nothing. you could go for some kind of murky greenish blue, that might work.

2) i am in favor of wuz, its definitely got more of a graffiti feel to it

3) dont go for the mini statue of liberty. the statue of liberty is supposed to be big.

thats all for now. looking good. hope the wedding was nice. hope the honeymoon is better!
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Heimdall on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:47 pm

imo, subway stations should also be the the marker for the territory they are in. So for example, Coney Island would only have one troop marker.
Lieutenant Heimdall

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:26 pm

The "wuz" is so painful to me... but it seems like I'm in the minority. :cry:

Oh well. I do however insist that that is not normal graffiti language.

On another note, the Small Islands bonuses are a tad unclear. Is the fourth small island Randall's Island? It seems strange that three territories of that bonus are connected and one is completely isolated from the rest. I suggest making Randall's Island not part of any bonus, period.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby FreeMan10 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:09 am

yeti_c wrote:Wow - if all first posts were this good the server would overload!!!

I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks!
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:29 am

FreeMan10 wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Wow - if all first posts were this good the server would overload!!!

I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks!

That is entirely how it was meant... welcome aboard.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:40 am

This looks ready for Final Forge to me.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby benny profane on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:53 pm

hey everyone...sorry for the absence.
i've been busy trying to learn spanish. and snap has been out of town, something to do with the birds and the bees (whatever that means).
so much feedback! let's see here....

i agree with yeti...not only was freeman10's first post huge, it was very helpful! the following is now on the to-do list:

FreeMan10 wrote:2) Maybe use a more 'tag' style font for the graffiti - either the Latino script or big & puffy? What you've got works, but I've ridden the subways in NYC - that would get you laughed out of the station! Of course, there's not much room for it on the sign, so you may have to stick with what you've got.

4) I wouldn't try to put Lady Liberty out there - there's barely enough room for the army circle as it is. Unless (this is probably totally against the rules, but I'll throw it out there anyway) you make the army circle Statue of Liberty shaped for just the one location.

about freeman's comment about the connection between ellis and governors island, i think andy was right in suggesting it, because once you've got that little island chain, you've pretty much got it for good.
many thanks freeman, stop by more often!

whitestazn88 wrote:1) im not feeling the water color

3) dont go for the mini statue of liberty. the statue of liberty is supposed to be big.

we may try to add a subtle texture to the water...and we'd like to try out freeman's statue suggestion.

Heimdall wrote:imo, subway stations should also be the the marker for the territory they are in. So for example, Coney Island would only have one troop marker.

i think many would disagree with you. it adds a new element which helps distinguish this map. snap and i are in love with the idea, and it seems to have gotten a lot of support.

InkLOsed wrote:The "wuz" is so painful to me... but it seems like I'm in the minority.

On another note, the Small Islands bonuses are a tad unclear. Is the fourth small island Randall's Island? It seems strange that three territories of that bonus are connected and one is completely isolated from the rest. I suggest making Randall's Island not part of any bonus, period.

about that "wuz"....lo siento (not bad, eh?)

the small islands bonus was intended to be kind of a collections bonus. like holding the stars on qwert's maps, or holding the cities on the scotland map, or holding flags or villages in the new waterloo (which i recommend).
randall's island is separated, but all of those islands are technically part of manhattan (actually, liberty island belongs to new jersey i think, but you get the idea). we think that if there is going to be an islands bonus, that randall's island should be a part of it.

finally...

This looks ready for Final Forge to me.

that would be muy bien!

if you read all this, or even if you didn't, many thanks!
snap and i are getting together tomorrow to hammer this out.

oh, btw, the next update will be todo en espanol!

-benny
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:59 pm

You know what, the next time I see graffiti saying "so-and-so was here," I'll take a picture of it. Just to prove my point, if nothing else.

Can't wait for the next update! :)
Lieutenant InkL0sed

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas