Conquer Club

Arms Race! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:50 pm

lanyards wrote:Dealing with Arms Race! XML:

At the beginning of the XML, the small map width needs to be 600, and the large map width needs to be 800, for that is the actual size of the current maps.
I just missed this. I will fix that

Why not in the XML call the leader of USSR "USSR Premier"? On the map the territory is labled "Premier", and it is also like that in the legend.
Yes I missed that as well. I thought I did change the XML to be USSR Premier but I must have onyl edited teh map. I will fix this as well

USSR Uranium 2 needs a neutral tag.
Good catch another miss. I will edit

In your XML, there is a territory "Norbisk", and there is no such territory on your map. I think you meant to put "Noril'sk" which is on your map and not the XML. They have the same borders.
You are correct just typed wrong and did not catch.

Is there a reason that the USA and USSR MISSILE LAUNCH have a -238 bonus? I know that the army count is supposed to go down to 1, but a -238 bonus will show up in the log. It doesn't really matter that much, but could it be changed to -500?
Actually I meant to have -235 because that is the atomic number of the Uranium used in nuclear weapons.

From wikipedia
The fissile uranium in nuclear weapons usually contains 85% or more of 235U known as weapon(s)-grade,

So I will make these changes and update teh coordinates asap.

Thanks lanyards
WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:38 pm

OK VERSION 13

I think everything is fixed.
-All XML
-changed gameplay per mibi's request

XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... %21_14.xml
Large: http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8104 ... 13lzm8.png
Small: http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5113 ... 13sin8.png

Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:01 pm

looks great.... except the silo ovals... everything else has relevant iconography except the silos.... i would think it would be a great improvement to just stick a tiny little missile next to the oval similar to the bunker/scientist/launchcode/uranium. Also white seems out of place, and a bit unfishined. Would a red hue be possible? to get peoples blood boinling and such, or something besides white.

actually here is an example.

Captain mibi

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:15 pm

OK. Will do. I will use your example as a guide
Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:25 am

Hey WM, I have been thinking about the gameplay and I have one final request. Sorry to bring all this up so late in the game.

but if the situation arises where its one player on one side, and the other player on the other, which is kind of what it is intended, i tihnk the nuclear aspect wont come in to play too often. Here is why: A player in control of an entire side would have 7 armies to start with 23 territories, and +10 for all the bonuses for a total of +17 which makes the +25 seem not all that attractive, especially since you have to hold the president \ launch code from the spies. Ofcourse the other play might reduce the bonus with spies and such but even so, a +13 or more bonus is certainly powerful enough to forgo the nuclear option and just bombard the other player with "conventional" attacks.

I think this is highly likely.

So here is how the problem might be rectified. Make the Missile Launch space a high neutral like 10, 15, or 20 to act as a deterrent to conventional attacks, and then raise the nuclear bonus to 40 or 50 to be able to overcome the high deterrent. This way, the president and launch code are more in play because the nuclear option is much more desirable.

Maybe 20/50 or 20/60

also maybe <name>USA Nukes Armed</name> could be <name>NUCLEAR WEAPON ARMED!<name> or <name>USA NUCLEAR STRIKE IMMINENT!<name> or something a long those lines to heighten the tension and ram home thats its do or die.
Captain mibi

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:49 am

OK mibi. I have 1 question.

Do you want the MISSILE LAUNCH territories to
    1)respawn to 10 neutrals every turn or
    2) just start with 10 neutrals and then once a player takes the territory, their armies are reduced to 1 each turn by way of the -235 uranium decay.

Thanks
WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:57 am

WidowMakers wrote:OK mibi. I have 1 question.

Do you want the MISSILE LAUNCH territories to
    1)respawn to 10 neutrals every turn or
    2) just start with 10 neutrals and then once a player takes the territory, their armies are reduced to 1 each turn by way of the -235 uranium decay.
Thanks
WM

i like the -238 uranium decay, but a respawning 10 count is much more effective.
Captain mibi

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:56 pm

OK here is what I am fixing
    1) Changing the Silo graphic
    2) Changing <name>USA Nukes Armed</name> to <name>USA NUCLEAR STRIKE IMMINENT!</name>
    3) Remove the -235 decay from teh MISSILE LAUNCH
    4) Replace that with 15 killer neutrals that respawn at the beginning of occupying players turn.
    5) maker the nuclear strike bonus for from +25 to +50. That seems more realistic. You now have 50 amries (plus the rest of your bonuses) to attack the +15 neutrals on the Missile launch and then Destroy the other side of the globe. :-)

These will all be in my next update with XML

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:47 pm

Version 14

1) Changed the Silo graphic
2) Changed <name>USA Nukes Armed</name> to <name>USA NUCLEAR STRIKE IMMINENT!</name>
3) Removed the -235 decay from teh MISSILE LAUNCH
4) Replaced #3 with 15 killer neutrals that respawn at the beginning of occupying players turn.
5) maker the nuclear strike bonus for from +25 to +50. That seems more realistic. You now have 50 armies (plus the rest of your bonuses) to attack the +15 neutrals on the Missile launch and then Destroy the other side of the globe.

XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... %21_15.xml
Large: http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7321 ... 14log9.png
Small: http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1197 ... 14sgb8.png

88's

888's
Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:20 pm

its a work of art. quench.
Captain mibi

Postby Joodoo on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:14 am

Whoa, this map is good!
Just one question, is there a way to attack(but not bombard) Russia from USA or from Russia to USA?
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby mibi on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:42 am

Joodoo wrote:Whoa, this map is good!
Just one question, is there a way to attack(but not bombard) Russia from USA or from Russia to USA?

no, you can either bombard a few territories via the spies, or bombard all territories with a nuclear launch.
Captain mibi

Postby Joodoo on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:42 pm

okay, ty
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby lanyards on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:13 am

If there are 2 players, then they each take all territories on USA and USSR so that they each have their own side, there is no way for them to attack or bombard MISSLE LAUNCH, and it doesnt have a killer neutral, correct? So there would be no way to win.

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:21 am

lanyards wrote:If there are 2 players, then they each take all territories on USA and USSR so that they each have their own side, there is no way for them to attack or bombard MISSLE LAUNCH, and it doesnt have a killer neutral, correct? So there would be no way to win.

--lanyards

I think that the Missile can bombard everything - "Missile Launch" included.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:25 pm

lanyards wrote:If there are 2 players, then they each take all territories on USA and USSR so that they each have their own side, there is no way for them to attack or bombard MISSLE LAUNCH, and it doesnt have a killer neutral, correct? So there would be no way to win.

--lanyards
It says in the legend. The 3rd point in the top right of the map image

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:56 pm

So what is next?
Major WidowMakers

Re: Arms Race! - V. 14 - Page 1 & 26[I,GP,Gr] [Final Forge]

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:54 pm

XML check please
Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:43 pm

quench!
Captain mibi

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:08 am

Well here is an interesting thing. I play test this map last night, 1v1 no cards unlimited and the bonuses were too high.

Here were the suggestions that came out of the play test:
1) Instead of +1 for any uranium => +1 for any 2 uranium and +2 for all uranium (in same country)
2) Instead of +1 for any scientist => +1 for any 2 scientist and +2 for all scientist(in same country)
3) Instead of Launch code +2 => Launch code +1
4) Instead of President/Premiere +2 => President/Premiere +1

The reasons behind this are as follows
If a player starts off next to a uranium or scientist, they can quickly attack and next turn gain an easy deployable bonuses.
This lowers the overall bonus for holding an entire country by +4 which makes the game last longer and gives the other players more time to react since the front player has less power each turn.

EDIT#1: for some reason the BBC code is not working and I cannot turn it on for this post or thread. It is turned on in my other threads and posts though ?????

EDIT #2: I figured it out, the FF maps are now announcements and those do not have BBC code for some reason.
Major WidowMakers

Re:

Postby mibi on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:14 pm

WidowMakers wrote:Well here is an interesting thing. I play test this map last night, 1v1 no cards unlimited and the bonuses were too high.

1) Instead of +1 for any uranium => +1 for any 2 uranium and +2 for all uranium (in same country)
2) Instead of +1 for any scientist => +1 for any 2 scientist and +2 for all scientist(in same country)

If a player starts off next to a uranium or scientist, they can quickly attack and next turn gain an easy deployable bonuses.
This lowers the overall bonus for holding an entire country by +4 which makes the game last longer and gives the other players more time to react since the front player has less power each turn.

EDIT#1: for some reason the BBC code is not working and I cannot turn it on for this post or thread. It is turned on in my other threads and posts though ?????

EDIT #2: I figured it out, the FF maps are now announcements and those do not have BBC code for some reason.

sounds good to me, although there are only 3 unraniums per side, so its hard to have +1 for 2 since there isn't a second pair.
Captain mibi

Re: Re:

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:16 am

mibi wrote:sounds good to me, although there are only 3 unraniums per side, so its hard to have +1 for 2 since there isn't a second pair.
Why? There does not need to be a second pair. I wrote that the bonuses are as follows

+1 for any 2 uranium (in same country)
+2 for all uranium (in same country)

and

+1 for any two scientists (in same country)
+2 for all scitenistis (in same country)

WM
Major WidowMakers

Re:

Postby mibi on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 am

WidowMakers wrote:Well here is an interesting thing. I play test this map last night, 1v1 no cards unlimited and the bonuses were too high.

After thinking about it some more, I'm not so sure. This map is designed to be 1v1, but really only in the end game. What about where there are 6+ players, would the 2 for 1 bonuses be too hard to obtain? You could also add another uranium to even it out.

Also concerning the routes, Uranium 2 needs to connect to Chicago, because currently Denver is too powerful.
Captain mibi

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:02 pm

OK mibi. I will leave everything the same as it currently is and change the uranium from Denver to Chicago.
Then we should be set. We are almost there.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Tieryn on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:11 am

This is looking fantastic :) I can't wait to play
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas