Conquer Club

Forbidden City [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Forbidden City V22(P13) (Classic) [I] - Comments?

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:47 pm

I don't know if this is intentional or not, but the Ming emperors look significantly more cartoony than the Qing emperors. I prefer the latter's look, in case you might change either.

Also on the emperors, the text clips a little heavy on the border. If you could "descend" it just a smidge it should look better. You've got plenty of space to move the army circles around to accommodate this.

And I know what I'm about to say has been tread on already and has been rebuffed, but I keep on feeling that you're trying to do too much with the map, and the map's potential quality is suffering because of it. There's stuff you're hammering through on this map that made The Citadel a significant eyesore (over-boundary and small text, mainly) and stopped it dead in its tracks movement-wise.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Incandenza on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:10 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I don't know if this is intentional or not, but the Ming emperors look significantly more cartoony than the Qing emperors. I prefer the latter's look, in case you might change either.

I would guess that it's a pictures-vs-portraits thing, especially given that lifelike portraiture wasn't exactly a hallmark of Chinese art.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:59 am

Incandenza wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:I don't know if this is intentional or not, but the Ming emperors look significantly more cartoony than the Qing emperors. I prefer the latter's look, in case you might change either.

I would guess that it's a pictures-vs-portraits thing, especially given that lifelike portraiture wasn't exactly a hallmark of Chinese art.

The 2nd one looks like a lego man!?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Forbidden City V21(P13) (Classic) [I] - Comments?

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:02 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Can I suggest you add a "Shengwu Gate" - like you have with the "Wu Gate" - as the Median into the top gate could be misconstrued...
Either that - or make it branch to the 2 army circles for the two gates there.
C.

Don't like that suggestion, but have changed the Meridian line to show more correctly.

V22
Click image to enlarge.

OK - so as it stands the meridian can attack (at the top) the Shengwu Gate(s) & Cheng & Yo?

If it can attack Cheng & Yo - why can't it attack the 2 inner courts? (Is this a story line thing or an oversight?)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Forbidden City V22(P14) (Classic) [I] - Comments?

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:42 am

Androidz wrote:1. Okey:D
2.good:D
3. maybe any more commenters about this?

i treid my best helping you map cairnswk im not good giveing suggestions:D

Androidz, you've done well. There was nothing wrong with your suggestions, and i thank you for dropping. If you think of anything else, please say so. :)

whitestazn88 wrote:when did you change the color of the emperors box? after androidz comments? cuz if so, i think it looks better that way

Oh, can't remember what happened there. but if you think it is better, good. :)

Incandenza wrote:Okay, I've poked my nose into this thread from time to time, and the map is looking good.... but I still can't make heads or tails of how exactly the borders outside the palace work (and I like to consider myself a pretty bright guy).
:|

Can sun yat-sen attack japan?
yes

Can the catholics attack the christians?
no, catholics can only attack Missions. christians can attack Missions and Prince Juan. Missions can attack USA, Catholics, Christians, ans P Juan.

Basically what I'm saying is that the current "border indicators" bit in the legend leaves an awful lot unexplained.

Mmm. no offence, but just takes some examination of what is where.

Of course, it's entirely possible that there's some basic thing that I'm not seeing, but I can say for sure that I will be using map inspect early and often for this one.
Good. so will plenty of others.

I was thinking about changing them, but the issue here is not the treatement i have given them but rather the originals themselves.
The Qing pair are from modern photographs, the Ming pair are from paintings, hence their "awkward" appearance which i can do nothing about, and i would prefer to have something than nothing at all.

Also on the emperors, the text clips a little heavy on the border. If you could "descend" it just a smidge it should look better. You've got plenty of space to move the army circles around to accommodate this.

See what i can do.

And I know what I'm about to say has been tread on already and has been rebuffed, but I keep on feeling that you're trying to do too much with the map, and the map's potential quality is suffering because of it. There's stuff you're hammering through on this map that made The Citadel a significant eyesore (over-boundary and small text, mainly) and stopped it dead in its tracks movement-wise.

honestly speak your mind, and if it's worthy of my attention then i'll consider it again. you might strike me in a more cooperative mood if you put it nicely rather than "you should do this". Makes you sound like your my mother, and i hate that. ;)

yeti_c wrote:OK - so as it stands the meridian can attack (at the top) the Shengwu Gate(s) & Cheng & Yo?
If it can attack Cheng & Yo - why can't it attack the 2 inner courts? (Is this a story line thing or an oversight?)
C.

Coz that is the gameplay i have created. I thought it would be too full-on if it had access to every tert on the inside.
And you probably know, but it's the Emperors that can attack, not the meridian itself.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:55 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:OK - so as it stands the meridian can attack (at the top) the Shengwu Gate(s) & Cheng & Yo?
C.

Coz that is the gameplay i have created. I thought it would be too full-on if it had access to every tert on the inside.
And you probably know, but it's the Emperors that can attack, not the meridian itself.

OK - I'm not arguing with you - I'm just trying to work it out in my head...

Personally - I dislike it being able to attack Cheng & Yo... it doesn't seem to fit as well as the rest of the things it can attack...

I also like the way it runs through the army circles of what it can attack - as that makes it really obvious - which is why it's not as obvious around the top bit.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Androidz on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:29 am

yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
C.

Personally - I dislike it being able to attack Cheng & Yo... it doesn't seem to fit as well as the rest of the things it can attack...

I also like the way it runs through the army circles of what it can attack - as that makes it really obvious - which is why it's not as obvious around the top bit.

C.

Maybe he can make border appeals on the lines to?
Private Androidz

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:58 pm

yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
C.

C.

Fair enough. Reason i made it like that is because eunuchs served the Emperors, main confidant and all that, and often there was attempts to posion emperors from the eunuchs. also eunuch could hold sway over emperors when they got really close.
The legend does say "along or bordering"
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Androidz wrote:....

Sorry Androidz, can you explain what you mean here. I'm not quite understanding you. :?:
Private cairnswk

Postby Androidz on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:49 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Androidz wrote:....

Sorry Androidz, can you explain what you mean here. I'm not quite understanding you. :?:

The orange lines from those coins is going trogh alot of nations. Maybe they can have border appeal on they, they can attack. omg my english is bad.
Private Androidz

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:38 pm

Androidz wrote:...
The orange lines from those coins is going trogh alot of nations. Maybe they can have border appeal on they, they can attack. omg my english is bad.

I think you talk about the Meridian yellow line coming from the Emperors...yes?
Some territories (not nations) sit over the top of this line, and some border it.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby Androidz on Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:56 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Androidz wrote:...

I think you talk about the Meridian yellow line coming from the Emperors...yes?
Some territories (not nations) sit over the top of this line, and some border it.

Click image to enlarge.

So the emeperors can attack any of the terretories it goes over?
Private Androidz

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Androidz wrote:.....

The legend says "Pictured rulers may attack any territory along or bordering yellow Imperial Meridian; Ming cannot attack Qing & vice versa".
Private cairnswk

Postby Androidz on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:11 pm

cairnswk wrote:

The legend says "Pictured rulers may attack any territory along or bordering yellow Imperial Meridian; Ming cannot attack Qing & vice versa".

Qing? Vice versa cant find them lol:D
Private Androidz

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:24 pm

Androidz wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Are u being funny, or don't u understand vice versa.
If you don't understand vice versa, please consult an english dictionary. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:40 pm

what (Classic) in tittle means?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Androidz on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:42 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Androidz wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Huh? Seriously i cant find them on the map-.-. I know my english suck but i dont want to go trough a english dictionary everytime writeing comments.:D
Private Androidz

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:57 pm

Androidz wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
Androidz wrote:Qing? Vice versa cant find them lol:D

Huh? Seriously i cant find them on the map-.-. I know my english suck but i dont want to go trough a english dictionary everytime writeing comments.:D

If your english is not good, then i suggst you consult an dictionary for this expression. It is not the name of territories. It is an english expression that you might benefit from by learning.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:59 pm

qwert wrote:what (Classic) in tittle means?

Gameplay Qwert :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:44 pm

oh i understand,but almost all maps have classic gameplay.
Vice versa means attack in bouth direction,right?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:46 pm

qwert wrote:Vice versa means attack in bouth direction,right?

In this context, yes. In general, it means "and the opposite is true"

So, "Ming cannot attack Qing & vice versa." means Qing cannot attack Ming either.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Androidz on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:55 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
qwert wrote:Vice versa means attack in bouth direction,right?

In this context, yes. In general, it means "and the opposite is true"

So, "Ming cannot attack Qing & vice versa." means Qing cannot attack Ming either.

okey thx=)
Private Androidz

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:27 am

Kewl...sorted :)
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:23 am

cairnswk wrote:
Incandenza wrote:Can the catholics attack the christians?
no

are catholics non-christian? are “christians” actually protestants?
cairnswk wrote:

I was thinking about changing them, but the issue here is not the treatement i have given them but rather the originals themselves.
The Qing pair are from modern photographs, the Ming pair are from paintings, hence their "awkward" appearance which i can do nothing about, and i would prefer to have something than nothing at all.

can u find paintings or pictures of pu-i and tzu-hsi, so that the four rulers have a similar look about them? the photo of pu-i is particularly incongruous, since he was only a six-year-old boy when he abdicated.
cairnswk wrote:

this is an improvement over the new york city map, which has subway lines running through the army circles of some territories that they can't attack! would the legend be clearer if it said that the pictured rulers may attack any territory that touches part of the yellow imperial meridian and vice versa? if this wording is used, then the meridian will have to be redrawn to stop just short of touching the inner courts.

do the dynasties start neutral? i assume that they do, but i can't recall any specific mention of this.

why are sw inner court and inner ne court part of the outer courts continent instead of the inner courts continent?

each line on the map is crisp and the overall flavour is phenomenally imperial.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Forbidden City V23(P13) (Classic) [I] - Comments?

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:31 am

iancanton wrote:....are catholics non-christian? are “christians” actually protestants?

Next version will feature: Inland Missions, Societies, and Christians.
your point about Catholics is pertinent, the Inland Missions were made up of Christian churches and Christian Societies.

this is an improvement over the new york city map, which has subway lines running through the army circles of some territories that they can't attack! would the legend be clearer if it said that the pictured rulers may attack any territory that touches part of the yellow imperial meridian and vice versa? if this wording is used, then the meridian will have to be redrawn to stop just short of touching the inner courts.

I don't want to change that text unless someone can come up with something less wordy...but i have reduced that line somewhat.

do the dynasties start neutral? i assume that they do, but i can't recall any specific mention of this.

I had no plans to start them neutral. I understand that may give someone an advantage, but this was the emperors' palace. it would seem right that someone gets them.

why are sw inner court and inner ne court part of the outer courts continent instead of the inner courts continent?

Because that's how I have drawn them. ;)

each line on the map is crisp and the overall flavour is phenomenally imperial.
ian. :)

I guess this is good, yes?

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas