Conquer Club

Europe 1914 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update Major change!29sept page 1-11[IDEA STAMP]

Postby Qwert on Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:56 pm

by oaktown on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:01 pm

In my humble opinion, the legends and gameplay info on the map is now MUCH easier to understand - nice improvements there. Now as for that empty box...

I agree with your wish to not add any more islands to the sea - it will just get messy.

But I also share the concerns about Cyprus being a +1, sort of. I don't think you should get rid of the +1 completely, because I think that it is fine to give a +1 to a territory like Cyprus that is strategically and historically significant. However, on this map it does NOT seem to be strategically important - the only other territory it can attack is Greece, which means that the player that starts with Cyprus or the player that starts with Greece - whoever goes first - will be able to control that territory, and then it will be very easy to defend. And if the player who starts with Cyprus goes first, its an unfair advantage.

I have two suggestions that would make the +1 for Cyprus better:
1. Make it a starting neutral, like the capitals, and give it at least one more attack route; I would like to see it be connected to both Smyrna and the Mediterranean. That way two or three players would have a chance to go after it instead of just 1. Or...
2. Since you have listed Cyprus as a British Base, tie the Cyprus bonus in with the UK bonus; you could either say that the UK is a +2, or a +3 with Cyprus, or you could say that Cyprus PLUS London is a +1 bonus. And I would still add one more attack route to Cyprus, so that the UK player would have at least two possible ways to get there.

Adding a route from Cyprus to Smyrna would probably make the red area a +4, which would be fine considering the other bonuses on this map.

Visually my biggest concern is the way the small map is peeling away from the main map; I think I know what you're trying to do, but something is off. Some parts are smooth, some are pixely; some are sharp, some are fuzzy.

well i have idea,that you have normal bonus for britain,and that you get +1 more if you hold Cyprus,if you follow me,so if you hold only cyprus you dont get nothing,if you hold britain you get normal bonus for that continent. I hope that you understand what im want to create here.(that why i have empty box to explane these cyprus bonus),only need to write these in english,to people understand better. Without Britain cyprus is no bonus territory,but with britain become +1.In that way,no need to connect cyprus with some other territory,maybe i can create one way attack to constantinople(Gallipoli campaing).

Small bonus map,well i dont create specialy small map(because will be no same like main map),i just use original and down size to be bonus map,if you know better solution,i will be happy apply.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:43 pm

oaktown read above post,and give me description for cyprus :geek:
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Qwert, it's all the inner borders. I would suggest thickening the lines by using a 30% or so opacity slightly larger brush.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby lt_oddball on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:02 am

qwert, and others..you are misunderstanding me.
I am not opting for more circles, in fact I am opting for one less:

One circle in sea below france ("sea of Corsica") and removing the 2 circles of Corsica and Sardinia..connection lines between this circle and south France and mid Italy directly.

One circle in Thyranean Sea (as it is now) between South Italy and Greece (as it is now..only wrong name).

One circle in Aegean Sea (Correct ! Thanks!) between Krete and Cyprus and removing Cyprus Circle.. connection as is to Greece and perhaps S-Turkey.

Corsica can be coloured blue, and Sardinia coloured yellow but without separate Circles LIKE YOU HAVE COULOURED EACH SPECK OF ISLAND OF GREECE (INCLUDING THE FATTEST ISLAND KRETE) AND LET THEM BE PART OF ONE CIRCLE "GREECE".

Really like Malta (and Rhodos, and Lesbos, and Zakinthos, and..and...and..) none of any of those islands (Cyprus, Sardinia, Corsica) were and would be (!) scenes of invasions/land-fall or what have you not in the 1914-1920 era.
All insignificant.
In contrast, controlling the sea was very important.

As to where to add a sea circle to which bonus question is actually non existent: add to none!
This relieves you from this question of how to add Cyprus to Britain too.

This suggestion makes the map simpler for you and players... :idea:

you may even think of an additional "rule the waves" bonus of having 5 of the 7 sea circles giving you a bonus of +2 ?
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Postby Qwert on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:47 pm

by lt_oddball on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:02 pm

One circle in sea below france ("sea of Corsica") and removing the 2 circles of Corsica and Sardinia..connection lines between this circle and south France and mid Italy directly.

One circle in Thyranean Sea (as it is now) between South Italy and Greece (as it is now..only wrong name).

One circle in Aegean Sea (Correct ! Thanks!) between Krete and Cyprus and removing Cyprus Circle.. connection as is to Greece and perhaps S-Turkey.

Corsica can be coloured blue, and Sardinia coloured yellow but without separate Circles LIKE YOU HAVE COULOURED EACH SPECK OF ISLAND OF GREECE (INCLUDING THE FATTEST ISLAND KRETE) AND LET THEM BE PART OF ONE CIRCLE "GREECE".

Really like Malta (and Rhodos, and Lesbos, and Zakinthos, and..and...and..) none of any of those islands (Cyprus, Sardinia, Corsica) were and would be (!) scenes of invasions/land-fall or what have you not in the 1914-1920 era.
All insignificant.

As to where to add a sea circle to which bonus question is actually non existent: add to none!

This suggestion makes the map simpler for you and players...

you may even think of an additional "rule the waves" bonus of having 5 of the 7 sea circles giving you a bonus of +2 ?

All insignificant.

This suggestion makes the map simpler for you and players... :idea:

i understand you good,but adding to many sea its not good idea,and i need to put these sea in right ways,and its no space for that
Thyrenian sea is inside Corsica,sardinia,and italy
Aegean sea is not betwen crete and cyprus,is betwen grecce and Tyrkey.
These is map from 1914,before start of war,if you look in that way,then i can remove all territory who dont been scenes of invasion or war(All Britain,Half of italy,Half of France,Nort east part of Russia),Look on these map ,like political situation in year 1914.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!6oktobar page 1-12[IDEA STAMP]

Postby Qwert on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:45 pm

ok,new update,i work on inner borders,i hope that now its ok
Add malta,but only like some small issle.
Work on bonus legend,i hope that now its ok.
Still waiting Oaktown for help with Cyprus bonus description.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!6oktobar page 1-13[IDEA STAMP]

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:13 am

I assume that the description of Cyprus's bonus will go in the purple box? Any chance we could also get the continent names back in that general area?

Also, I would suggest lessening the lower island of Greece's shadow, as it doesn't look orange enough to be part of the Balkans until you look at the minimap sans shadow. It's a nitpick, so it's up to you if you want to change it or not.

And the borders look much better, that did the trick.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:16 pm

by TaCktiX on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:13 pm

I assume that the description of Cyprus's bonus will go in the purple box? Any chance we could also get the continent names back in that general area?

Also, I would suggest lessening the lower island of Greece's shadow, as it doesn't look orange enough to be part of the Balkans until you look at the minimap sans shadow. It's a nitpick, so it's up to you if you want to change it or not.

And the borders look much better, that did the trick.

Yes ,they go in the empty box.
Continental names,i dont know why? Names is quit large,and it will be dificulty to squeze all in bonus box,look these name AUSTRO HUNGARIAN EMPIRE-or UNited Britain,France,German Empire,Ottoman Empire,Balkan States,Italian KIngdom,Rusian empire. These will be very very crumped bonus box.
Do you not see size of these islands? You want to i create issland who is so small to be orange. Grecce is orange enough.And its not nitpick,its microscopic nitpick.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:40 pm

amazing,i just check all topic,and i find something very interesting,and bad for me.
First i must say that OAktown is Ok,hes posted several times,and he show very big interest for these map,giving very long post with all kind of question,showing that he want to participiate in these project,and these is good side.
Bad side CA who need to get Grapich Stamp,hes participiation on these map is very close to 0,if we counting these to be some post.
by gimil on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:30 pm

Seems we all got a little losted! Moved you over to the drafting room qwert.

[moved]

So for these 53 days,Gimil posted only that. And when he show in some far or near future,and posted something like"i dont like that,change these" and when i dont have understanding for these sugestion,you think that i dont react good. What i can expect from Mod,who never posted in topic. And when come time for Graphic stamp,he will start demanding to change many things(what he dont like), not knowing that some thing is all ready apply from people.

I repeat,Oaktown show interesting for these map,and he have +.
Unfortunatly Gimil have big - here.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

EUROPE 1914

Postby $t0kA on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:22 pm

not to get too pushy here but i am positive bulgaria was part of the ottoman empire and that italty was partof the triple alliance during 1914 but later switched sides to the triple entente during 1915 cos they were getting battered....itals are a bit like that...and fisrt the triple alliance started as UK france and russiaand later joined by greece serbia romania albania montegero belguim and portugul and ofcoursemany african states....and italy as i have already stated.the triple alliance started with germany austia-hungary italy and because italy owned libya at the time..them to...and the ottoman empire later joined whic did inlcude bulgaria...plz correct me if im wrong... 8-)
Major $t0kA

Postby Qwert on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:01 pm

by $t0kA on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:22 am

not to get too pushy here but i am positive bulgaria was part of the ottoman empire and that italty was partof the triple alliance during 1914 but later switched sides to the triple entente during 1915 cos they were getting battered....itals are a bit like that...and fisrt the triple alliance started as UK france and russiaand later joined by greece serbia romania albania montegero belguim and portugul and ofcoursemany african states....and italy as i have already stated.the triple alliance started with germany austia-hungary italy and because italy owned libya at the time..them to...and the ottoman empire later joined whic did inlcude bulgaria...plz correct me if im wrong...

Yes you are wrong,when you finish one sentence ,please put one "." not "....",because i dont know what is hiding behind these"....".
Try again new post with some order,ok.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!6oktobar page 1-12[IDEA STAMP]

Postby oaktown on Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:32 am

qwert wrote:Work on bonus legend,i hope that now its ok.
Still waiting Oaktown for help with Cyprus bonus description.

What, only I can come up with an answer? ;)

OK, so you want to make London a +1, the UK a +3 (which would really be +4 since you also get the UK bonus), and the UK with Cyprus a +4 (+5 total). This is a healthy bonus, but since all of the bonuses include a capital I guess it is fine.

Here's the trouble: on the map you don't give names to the bonus regions, so how do you describe that the nameless light blue region plus Cyprus is a +3? I think you have two options:
1. give names to the regions. If, on either the small or large map, you call that region UK (or whatever) then in the legend you can say "Additional +1 for holding UK plus Cyprus."
2. this might be better - bump up the union jack and the big "2" on the mini map, and under the big +2 write in smaller letters "+3 with Cyprus".

Little thing: it would be better if you put "british base" on the same line, under "Cyprus."

Looking at the map I notice that the two easiest holds might be UK and Italy - this balances the fact that the Entente powers have to go across Europe to collect their capitals.

Corsica is a part of the French region, but that could be missed on both the main map - where the color is obscured by the army circle - and the small map - where Corsica is closer to Italy... some kind of line linking them in the small map, perhaps?
Captain oaktown

Postby Qwert on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:50 am

What, only I can come up with an answer?

OK, so you want to make London a +1, the UK a +3 (which would really be +4 since you also get the UK bonus), and the UK with Cyprus a +4 (+5 total). This is a healthy bonus, but since all of the bonuses include a capital I guess it is fine.

Here's the trouble: on the map you don't give names to the bonus regions, so how do you describe that the nameless light blue region plus Cyprus is a +3? I think you have two options:
1. give names to the regions. If, on either the small or large map, you call that region UK (or whatever) then in the legend you can say "Additional +1 for holding UK plus Cyprus."
2. this might be better - bump up the union jack and the big "2" on the mini map, and under the big +2 write in smaller letters "+3 with Cyprus".

Little thing: it would be better if you put "british base" on the same line, under "Cyprus."

Looking at the map I notice that the two easiest holds might be UK and Italy - this balances the fact that the Entente powers have to go across Europe to collect their capitals.

Corsica is a part of the French region, but that could be missed on both the main map - where the color is obscured by the army circle - and the small map - where Corsica is closer to Italy... some kind of line linking them in the small map, perhaps?
lets first finish cyprus description,and then we will see other problems ok.
Now i dont know where you find that Britain is +5 with cyprus? Do you maybe look some other map? IN bonus legend you have +2 for Britain(and +1 autodeploy in capital,like all other capitals) and +1 if you hold Cuprys and these is=4 not 5,like you count.

Probably you are right,without names in bonus map,its very hard to create description for cyprus.
Still you dont give me english version how will best to write description for Cyprus.
"Cuprys is british base and need to be with Britain to give bonus"or something similar for people to understand how cuprys bonus working,and i need in english language.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby max is gr8 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:46 pm

"Cyprus with Britain yields a new battalion"
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Qwert on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:28 pm

by max is gr8 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:46 pm

"Cyprus with Britain yields a new battalion"

Dont you think that people will be confuset with that sentence?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Night Strike on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:41 pm

Are the capitals auto-deployed? (It doesn't say anything on the map about it.)

The "Nonplayable Area" text is not needed.
Major Night Strike

Postby Qwert on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:48 pm

by Night Strike on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:41 pm

Are the capitals auto-deployed? (It doesn't say anything on the map about it.)

The "Nonplayable Area" text is not needed.

You have box when is write"+1 AutoDeploy in each Capital"or its bad english?

"Nonplayabile Area",these is what i think also,but you not here for every day, and you dont know what people request to add on map,sometime every little thing must have some word explanation,and when i give logical explanation that territory who dont have name,circle,army numbers is nonplayabile area,then people ask to put these on map to know that information.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby yeti_c on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:10 am

A couple of your labels are a bit odd...

Saint Petersburg is very sharp.
Baltic is also sharp - but countries isn't so.
Belarus & Finland are blurry.

This problem seems to only affect the Green and Red areas.

Also the NON PLAYABLE text is pretty horrible.

Could these be caused by resizing?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:09 am

by yeti_c on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:10 pm

A couple of your labels are a bit odd...

Saint Petersburg is very sharp.
Baltic is also sharp - but countries isn't so.
Belarus & Finland are blurry.

This problem seems to only affect the Green and Red areas.

Also the NON PLAYABLE text is pretty horrible.

Could these be caused by resizing?

C.

You mean names?they all same text and font size,and same style.
Nonplayabile to be smaler,ok
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby yeti_c on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:26 am

They may well be same size/font etc - but some are blurry and some aren't.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:16 am

by yeti_c on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:26 pm

They may well be same size/font etc - but some are blurry and some aren't.

How its these possible?
Are you sure?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby The Viking on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:07 am

I think the Mediterranean Sea territory will cause confusion, sorry if this has already been addressed.
Corporal 1st Class The Viking

Postby max is gr8 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:16 am

Maybe,

"Britain and Cyprus conscripts a new army"?
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:15 pm

by The Viking on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:07 pm

I think the Mediterranean Sea territory will cause confusion, sorry if this has already been addressed.

If you want me to answer on that,i need more informacion,how mediteranean sea territory will confuse people.

by max is gr8 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Maybe,

"Britain and Cyprus conscripts a new army"?

no,we must explane people that when you hold only cyprus you dont get nothinh,only with britain you will get addition +1,and that british bonus is normal,and that you get bonus when you hold britain. I think that nobody in maps,when explane bonuses dont put words"you get Army number......".
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby max is gr8 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:44 pm

Cyprus alone has no power combined with Britain the bonus is unlocked
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas