Conquer Club

Europe 1914 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!21 oktobar page 1-15[IDEA STAMP]

Postby Qwert on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 pm

new update-connect Cyprus directly with mainland Grecce.

Click image to enlarge.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!24 oktobar page 1-16[IDEA STAMP]

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:40 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the attack lines. They're just really plain and simple. What if you make them dotted or curved or something, so they're a bit less stark? Also, the one from the Baltic Sea to Finland is rather pixelated.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Qwert on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:50 pm

by ZeakCytho on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:40 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the attack lines. They're just really plain and simple. What if you make them dotted or curved or something, so they're a bit less stark? Also, the one from the Baltic Sea to Finland is rather pixelated.

What is wrong if some things is plain and simple. Why must be complicated. I newer use these attack lines,and i realy want to be diferent then other attack lines,what i use in mine previous maps. Every map diferent attack lines.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:40 pm

qwert wrote:
by ZeakCytho on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:40 pm

What is wrong if some things is plain and simple. Why must be complicated. I newer use these attack lines,and i realy want to be diferent then other attack lines,what i use in mine previous maps. Every map diferent attack lines.

I'm just giving a suggestion on how I think the map can be made better.

Regardless of whether you change the style or not, the pixelation should be fixed.
Last edited by ZeakCytho on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby multiplayertim on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:52 pm

i like the attack lines. This looks to be one of your best maps graphically
Winner: Tournament of the Minds
Private 1st Class multiplayertim

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:03 am

The Greece-Cyprus connection is a lot more clear now. (although I personally did not have problems with it before). Although it appears that the line becomes slightly wider as you move towards Cyprus. More of a FF comment, but I think we can treat this map as if it were there already.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby oaktown on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:58 pm

The Cyprus-Greece attack route is much more clear - nice change. As for the solid attack route lines, they're certainly fine from a gameplay perspective... beyond that it's a matter of taste. As are the crooked territory titles, which I never like - makes the map look less clean. I'd rather see the titles go over a border a bit than be all at different angles.

Little play issues that i may have already mentioned, so if I'm repeating myself I apologize:
  • There isn't much regional color that you can see behind the army circle in Corsica - players will miss it and think they have the bonus wrapped up. Perhaps move the army circle up or down just a touch? Or slide it closer to France?
  • The Greece title is so far from the army circle that it could be confusing... somebody will think that Greece is Naples, which is the closest title. Again, not the end of the world to make a territory title go over some borders if it makes the map considerably easier to play.
Bonuses! I know we've discussed this, but it still bugs me: United Kingdom, +3 total for 3 territories with only 2 borders, with an additional bonus if you happen to hold Cyprus. Are some of the other bonuses also high? Yes. Are they all? No. Will any other bonus be nearly as easy to capture early in the game as the UK? No. Italy is the next smallest region, and that will require two more territories and another border and only give you an extra one; Balkans only gives one extra army and it has six territories with five borders; Ottoman Empire gives only one more bonus army and it has seven territories! I think that a discussion of the bonuses needs to be had, but in addition two possible solutions to the UK question could be (1.) add a territory to UK (Wales? Northern England?), or (2.) make the startin neutral on London higher than that of the other cities... make somebody bust through four or five neutrals to take London.

You seem to be using English conventions for most of the territory names - Rome instead of Roma, Naples instead of Napoli - but some aren't... Sicilia should be Sicily, for example. And I don't think that "Vestfall" is an English convention,is it?

Is "nonplayable" a word? Hyphenated, maybe? "Non-playable" looks better to me.
Captain oaktown

Postby Qwert on Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:34 pm

by oaktown on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:58 pm

1.The Cyprus-Greece attack route is much more clear - nice change. As for the solid attack route lines, they're certainly fine from a gameplay perspective... beyond that it's a matter of taste.
1.1As are the crooked territory titles, which I never like - makes the map look less clean. I'd rather see the titles go over a border a bit than be all at different angles.

Little play issues that i may have already mentioned, so if I'm repeating myself I apologize:

2.There isn't much regional color that you can see behind the army circle in Corsica - players will miss it and think they have the bonus wrapped up. Perhaps move the army circle up or down just a touch? Or slide it closer to France?
3.The Greece title is so far from the army circle that it could be confusing... somebody will think that Greece is Naples, which is the closest title. Again, not the end of the world to make a territory title go over some borders if it makes the map considerably easier to play.
4.Bonuses! I know we've discussed this, but it still bugs me: United Kingdom, +3 total for 3 territories with only 2 borders, with an additional bonus if you happen to hold Cyprus. Are some of the other bonuses also high? Yes. Are they all? No. Will any other bonus be nearly as easy to capture early in the game as the UK? No. Italy is the next smallest region, and that will require two more territories and another border and only give you an extra one; Balkans only gives one extra army and it has six territories with five borders; Ottoman Empire gives only one more bonus army and it has seven territories! I think that a discussion of the bonuses needs to be had, but in addition two possible solutions to the UK question could be (1.) add a territory to UK (Wales? Northern England?), or (2.) make the startin neutral on London higher than that of the other cities... make somebody bust through four or five neutrals to take London.

5.You seem to be using English conventions for most of the territory names - Rome instead of Roma, Naples instead of Napoli - but some aren't... Sicilia should be Sicily, for example. And I don't think that "Vestfall" is an English convention,is it?

6.Is "nonplayable" a word? Hyphenated, maybe? "Non-playable" looks better to me.

1.Thanks,i just use what you sugested ;)
1.1.Well i try to stay in territory,so i dont see nothing wrong with these style,some people like and some dont,
2.No problem i will move circle to cover 1/3 of Corsica,amd then people will se colour of these territory,and then will probably better know to wich Country these territory belong.
3.Well if you think that people can be confused with Grecce and Naples,then i will try to move closer Grecce to hes circle.
4.All Country have +1 for capital,but again if you think that its to big,then i can take easiest solution-add 5-6 neutral to london.Creating some new territory on UK(who is small country)will be to much.
5.I want to use English translation for all map,so i will check all names.
6.I think so.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:15 pm

i find names who will be change in next update
Sicilia-Sicily
Vestfall-Westphalia
Hungaria-Hungary
-----------------------------
by multiplayertim on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:52 am

i like the attack lines. This looks to be one of your best maps graphically

Thanks, i think that Imperium romanum have also good graphical quality to.
by The Neon Peon on Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:03 pm

The Greece-Cyprus connection is a lot more clear now. (although I personally did not have problems with it before). Although it appears that the line becomes slightly wider as you move towards Cyprus. More of a FF comment, but I think we can treat this map as if it were there already.

I know what you mean,its small sugestion,like is map in FF,but still i have only idea stamp.
I must say,that im very close to Gameplay stamp,because Oaktown participiate in These topic,and we have very good cooperation,but with Gimil i think that will be same situation like in WWII EUROPE,these man posted 0 time for entire process here(over 60 days),and when he come here he will request thing what is all ready discused before,only because he dont want to follow process in these topic.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:16 pm

new update
-move circle to cover 1/3 of corsica
put proper english translation.
put Grecce closer to army circle.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!28 oktobar page 1-16[IDEA STAMP]

Postby The Neon Peon on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:23 pm

Very good job fitting the Greece name on the continent.

Also, what do you mean by "Put proper English Translation"?
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:28 pm

by The Neon Peon on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:23 am

Very good job fitting the Greece name on the continent.

Also, what do you mean by "Put proper English Translation"?

in previous update,i have three wrong names-Sicilia,Hungaria and Vestfall.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby gimil on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:37 pm

qwert this map is beautiful. Probably the prettiest one you have ever done. However I have only 1 problem. Those pixalated territory borders are bringing down the quality of your image. (The continent borders are fine)

Other than that I have no graphical problems with this for the time being :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:48 pm

by gimil on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:37 am

qwert this map is beautiful. Probably the prettiest one you have ever done. However I have only 1 problem. Those pixalated territory borders are bringing down the quality of your image. (The continent borders are fine)

Other than that I have no graphical problems with this for the time being

These is one thing what i forget to fix in these new update,if you look previous update,you will see big diference in borders, in next update i will fix borders( #-o )
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby gimil on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:54 pm

qwert wrote:
by gimil on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:37 am

Other than that I have no graphical problems with this for the time being

These is one thing what i forget to fix in these new update,if you look previous update,you will see big diference in borders, in next update i will fix borders( #-o )

Thank you qwert :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby saaimen on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:42 am

I like the looks of this map :) Hope that graphics stamp is here soon. Just a few remarks:
- In the quote with the detailed info, you say there's a 3 army bonus for holding 13 Entente or 10 Central regions. However, this cannot be seen on the map. Is it supposed to be a surprise for those who don't visit the Foundry ;) ? Or will you put this in some kind of legend?
- I quite dislike the "Nonplayable territory" on Scandinavia. Especially because there are other non-playable territories around. One possibility (probably not the best) is: move up the Cyprus bonus box, so that its top line is on the same height as the Abbreviations box. Then you should have just enough room under it to add something like "White territories are not playable" (or more graphical: "[square of white color] = not playable"). That way the 'nonplayable' or 'non-playable' issue is resolved aswell. (Just another idea: instead of 3 explanation boxes, you could simply make them into 1, to avoid clutter.) If you then leave out the text on Scandinavia, the map will look even nicer...

Edit: I forgot something.
- I think 'South France' should be either 'South of France' or 'Southern France', which is more common. Same goes for Northern France instead of North. It might give you a problem to fit the name into the region again... But it's more correct. Good luck!
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby Qwert on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:35 pm

by saaimen on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:42 pm

I like the looks of this map Hope that graphics stamp is here soon. Just a few remarks:
- In the quote with the detailed info, you say there's a 3 army bonus for holding 13 Entente or 10 Central regions. However, this cannot be seen on the map. Is it supposed to be a surprise for those who don't visit the Foundry ? Or will you put this in some kind of legend?
- I quite dislike the "Nonplayable territory" on Scandinavia. Especially because there are other non-playable territories around. One possibility (probably not the best) is: move up the Cyprus bonus box, so that its top line is on the same height as the Abbreviations box. Then you should have just enough room under it to add something like "White territories are not playable" (or more graphical: "[square of white color] = not playable"). That way the 'nonplayable' or 'non-playable' issue is resolved aswell. (Just another idea: instead of 3 explanation boxes, you could simply make them into 1, to avoid clutter.) If you then leave out the text on Scandinavia, the map will look even nicer...

Edit: I forgot something.
- I think 'South France' should be either 'South of France' or 'Southern France', which is more common. Same goes for Northern France instead of North. It might give you a problem to fit the name into the region again... But it's more correct. Good luck!

3 army bonuses for hold 13 entente territory-i need to remove that.
Nonplayabile,i all ready have these boxes in begining,but people sugested that i put these in Sveden-Norvay territory.
Southern France-Northern France,well i will see what i can do with that.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:17 pm

ok,i fix borders.
Also instead South France and North France i add Southern France and Northern France.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!30 oktobar page 1-17[IDEA STAMP]

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Yet another FF comment (let's get it moved there already... seriously, you could take this straight to quench with one or two tweaks.):

Ireland has a white glow around it, but London does not. Is this intentional? All the other territories have the white glow on the map.

Congratulations on reaching 4000 posts.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Qwert on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:43 pm

by The Neon Peon on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:59 am

Yet another FF comment (let's get it moved there already... seriously, you could take this straight to quench with one or two tweaks.):

Ireland has a white glow around it, but London does not. Is this intentional? All the other territories have the white glow on the map.

Hmm,i will check these
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:02 am

by The Neon Peon on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:59 am

Well,i forget to deactivate stroke for these name,today i will present new update. ;)
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MrBenn on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:01 pm

Keep up the good work qwert ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!3 novembar page 1-17[IDEA STAMP]

Postby Qwert on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:09 pm

well i belive that now all these tiny problem is fix.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:16 pm

Could you put some 88s down on that? The circles look awfully small - are you sure 88s will fit without any overlap?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Incandenza on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:40 pm

Forgive me if someone's already mentioned this, but I find it kind of odd that all the "capitals" are city names except for bulgaria. Wouldn't that work better (and be more consistent) as Sofia?

Otherwise, it's looking sharp, qwert. The title and marginalia alone are worth the price of admission.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas