Conquer Club

World 2.0/1 Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:32 pm

Molacole wrote:Outstanding job ZIM (and those who helped)!! This is by far the best map I've played.
Yah, great map, but far out the games go on forever. Joined 2 games when it first came out, theyre still both going.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Hoff on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:20 am

I think the S.A. bonus is perfect at 9.
Sergeant Hoff

World Map 2.1: Norway - Moskva border

Postby Lupo on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:28 am

zim wrote:World Map 2.1

* Remove Norway <---> Moskva attack route from the XML and clean up border to make it clear that only Finland borders Moskva.

Couldn't be possible to not change Norway-Moska connection, but making it clearer that they do connect in the map as they do in reality?

Sugggestion: maybe, you could put an arrow in order to show better the attack route.

I really would like if Norway and Moskva still bordered!

Could you do something to solve this issue without erasing the connection?

Regards and good job!
"Nature is a temple in which living pillars
Sometimes emit confused words;
Man crosses it through forests of symbols
That observe him with familiar glances."
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby Nous-irons on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:57 am

Kashmir wrote:I'm not sure if this is a bug, is Hawaii part of Oceania and could someone please list me all the territories in Oceania. I thought I had them all but I didn't get the bonus

Dude, the Hawaiian language is part of the Oceanic languages, which are part of the Austronesian language family, the same family shared by MALAGASY, FILIPINO, MALAY and INDONESIAN.

Linguistically, Hawaii /is/ part of Oceania. Madagascar too: note how it was excluded from the African continent.

Hawaii is a US state but it really is closer to Austronesian culture than anything else.

A Sumatra-Magadascar link would mess up a lot of the balance, but alas, it would reflect an actual migration route.
Sergeant Nous-irons

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:33 am

I find triples are best on this map.. dont take too long because you're focused on one enemy.. and i've won both of em.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:19 am

damn, im going to be away while this is in development, was really looking forward to world 2.1. Well I'll outline what i think:

*When you change Brunei, call it Borneo not kalimantan. Indonesia refers to the island as kalimantan, but Malaysia and Brunei do not. Internationally it is known as Borneo.
*China is currently a massively strong country, the strongest country to hold in the whole map i believe. I think you should split it in half. This way you could keep the bonus as is. Make West China and East China, or Tibet and China, do something.
*Your map of Australia is screwed. I figured that you have the wrapping world idea going that makes Australia not completely vertical, but if you do that you have to fix your state borders (country borders on the map). instead of your lines being like | they will have to be like / if you get what i mean. Plz fix your state borders, they are really annoying me.
*Yes you should rename sorong to Irian Jaya.
*The South American bonus is fine, it is the same as the Australia bonus but Australia has one less country. If you want to make it more worth the 9, add the Falkland Islands.
*For aesthetics, I would like you to add Sakhalin to the map, not as a territory or anything, just for design, Japan looks weird without Sakhalin above.
*For retards like me who have trouble reading, i think British Claim should be renamed Argentine Claim. I got British Isles and British Claim confused (don't ask me how) and although it didn't effect my game too much it was slightly irritating.
*In the mini map the border between the Horn and Southern Africa looks bad.

Stuff that i think will radically change game play that you won't necessarily like:
*add connection between Chile and Australia, will add great wars between oceania and south America. bonuses may have to change if u decide to make this.
*Europe i think is in need of a design change, Moskva, baltics and Ukraine should be made a subcontinent, Poland should be removed from the West subcontinent. Europes bonus is currently too high, should be in line with Oceania and South America, maybe a bit higher.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:17 am

reverend_kyle wrote:I find triples are best on this map.. dont take too long because you're focused on one enemy.. and i've won both of em.
Your right, triples are fairly quick. My triples game is winding up pretty fast round wise, just not time wise.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby sully800 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:19 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:*China is currently a massively strong country, the strongest country to hold in the whole map i believe. I think you should split it in half. This way you could keep the bonus as is. Make West China and East China, or Tibet and China, do something.

I agree that splitting China is a better solution than lowering the bonus.

gavin_sidhu wrote:*The South American bonus is fine, it is the same as the Australia bonus but Australia has one less country. If you want to make it more worth the 9, add the Falkland Islands.

Oceania has one less country but one more total border which is why I think it should be worth more than SA. Expanding from the 2 subcontinents in SA to the whole continent decreases your borders from 5+ to 3. Expanding from the 2 subs of oceania to the whole continent increases your borders from 3 to 4. That means everyone wants to expand and hold all of SA. Holding all of Oceania is harder and should have a bonus at least 1 point higher. Whether Oceania goes up or SA goes down doesn't really matter, but I think decreasing SA is the better solution.

Also Zim, another problem is the entire border around Ecuador- you can't see it well because the army shadow covers it completely. I know many people think that Amazonas and Ecuador connect at first glance (and I have done that a few times as well). Without looking extremely closely it seems that ecuador is the whole area above the Peru army shadow. I would increase the size of Ecuador and move the shadow a little into the ocean to solve that problem.
Major sully800

Postby gerry22 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:51 pm

Add to the legend a list of all countries included in each continent.
vae victis "woe to the Defeated" - Brennus
Sergeant gerry22

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:06 pm

I tink SA should be lowered to 8, only 3 borders to defend. or add another border.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby sully800 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:22 pm

gerry22 wrote:Add to the legend a list of all countries included in each continent.

I've heard that suggestion a few times....and I HATE it.

Do you have any idea how long that list would be? Where do you propose that we put such a thing?

I understand that hawaii was confusing some people- but zim is planning on moving the shadow so you can see where it actually belongs. In fact that is the whole point of coloring the countries- to know which grouping they belong in. So if you think two colors are too close they can be differentiated more. But with the coloring scheme and the mini map showing each of the subcontinents anything else is unnecessary (and wouldn't fit either!)
Major sully800

Postby casper on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:28 pm

Maybe make the army circles a little smaller...especially on the large map. They're way bigger than needed. Brunei's border wouldn't be so obscured.. And people wouldn't be having the problem with Hawaii...although I think it's pretty obvious that it's orange and not purple. Also I agree that South America should be 8. And this has been suggested before.. please move the word Panama so that it's underneath Guatemala. Right now it's too close to Guatemala and pretty confusing.
Major casper

Postby sully800 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:44 pm

I don't think the army shadows are too large. They may look large with only a '1' on them or any other single digit number. But two digit numbers are quite common and if you look at any 2 digit number over 19 you will see there is not any extra room in the circle. A little extra height but not width.

This brings up an interesting point...why does everyone use circles? A rectangle would be a better use of space...a star or something could add some interest to a less crowded map. Hmm, I guess that is one instance where everyone simply chose to follow the precedent!
Major sully800

World 2.0 bug _ can't attack from Geatemala to Cuba!

Postby alf128 on Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:07 am

any ideas?
Lieutenant alf128

Postby RJP0501 on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:35 am

Is there anyway you could put a larger copy of the map somewhere on the internet? I find it so hard to determine which territories border which others on this rubbish monitor I have!
Sergeant RJP0501

Postby gerry22 on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:11 pm

sully800 wrote:
gerry22 wrote:Add to the legend a list of all countries included in each continent.

I've heard that suggestion a few times....and I HATE it.

Do you have any idea how long that list would be? Where do you propose that we put such a thing?

I understand that hawaii was confusing some people- but zim is planning on moving the shadow so you can see where it actually belongs. In fact that is the whole point of coloring the countries- to know which grouping they belong in. So if you think two colors are too close they can be differentiated more. But with the coloring scheme and the mini map showing each of the subcontinents anything else is unnecessary (and wouldn't fit either!)

It's pretty simple. You get a Sticky Post and list them there along with any other information about the map needed and then add just the link to the legend. Simple.
vae victis "woe to the Defeated" - Brennus
Sergeant gerry22

Postby Gilligan on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:29 pm

Why is Hawaii part of Oceania?
Captain Gilligan

Postby bifgis on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:00 pm

Keep SA bonus the same.
Corporal bifgis

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:48 am

sully800 wrote:
gavin_sidhu wrote:*China is currently a massively strong country, the strongest country to hold in the whole map i believe. I think you should split it in half. This way you could keep the bonus as is. Make West China and East China, or Tibet and China, do something.

I agree that splitting China is a better solution than lowering the bonus.

gavin_sidhu wrote:*The South American bonus is fine, it is the same as the Australia bonus but Australia has one less country. If you want to make it more worth the 9, add the Falkland Islands.

Oceania has one less country but one more total border which is why I think it should be worth more than SA. Expanding from the 2 subcontinents in SA to the whole continent decreases your borders from 5+ to 3. Expanding from the 2 subs of oceania to the whole continent increases your borders from 3 to 4. That means everyone wants to expand and hold all of SA. Holding all of Oceania is harder and should have a bonus at least 1 point higher. Whether Oceania goes up or SA goes down doesn't really matter, but I think decreasing SA is the better solution.
Well i think the solution should be to add more countries to SA (like Falklands) rather than decrease the bonus. I believe that South America is the best built continent on the map. Also with South America, once someone has broken through the defence, but taking at most three countries they can destroy all sub-continent bonuses, whereas in Oceania, it is much harder, if you break in from Mexico, which i believe the majority of continent breaks do occur from (from my playing expierience anyway), you need to take 7 countries before you break Australia's bonus. If you want to increase the borders for S.A. you could link up Guyanas and Caribbean.

Zim, i also think you need to do something about the sub-continent Central America, it is too easy to get a hold of from South America, I didn't even know I was holding it until about 3 turns after i first held it.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby w3a2 on Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:52 pm

my thoughts on this map:

SCRAP IT.

honestly, unless you can play 4v4 or 3v3v3, it's useless - even then i doubt it would be worthwhile.

the whole point is to have 'around 5 minutes per turn during your coffee break', and i spend half an hour just deploying the 50-odd troops every turn.

also, butts :x
Private 1st Class w3a2

Postby Wisse on Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:07 pm

w3a2 wrote:my thoughts on this map:

SCRAP IT.

honestly, unless you can play 4v4 or 3v3v3, it's useless - even then i doubt it would be worthwhile.

the whole point is to have 'around 5 minutes per turn during your coffee break', and i spend half an hour just deploying the 50-odd troops every turn.

don't scrap it! its my faforite map!
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby cowshrptrn on Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:20 pm

Wisse wrote:
w3a2 wrote:my thoughts on this map:

SCRAP IT.

don't scrap it! its my faforite map!

i concur, if you don't feel like spending so much time deploying troops then don't play this map.
Private cowshrptrn

V2.1

Postby zim on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:41 pm

Small:

Large:

XML:
http://www.zims.com/blog/images/v21v1.xml

Changes made:
* Changed Brunei into Borneo and Central Indonesia into Sulawesi moving borders, army circles and adjusting XML as required. Should elminate the number one source of confusion.
* Removed Norway <---> Moskva attack route from the XML and clean up border to make it clear that only Finland borders Moskva.
* Removed second reference to Finland from Moskva XML (doesn't affect game play but clean code is better...)
* Moved Korea/China border so that it is clearer that Korea does not border Irkutsk.
* Corrected spelling of Venezuala.
* Made Peru/Chile border clearer.
* Moved Hawaii army shadow (and enlarged Hawaii slightly) to make it more visible that it is Orange and hence part of Oceania
* Renamed Sorgon to Irian Jaya
Other possible edits/updates:
* Moved Ecuador army shadow so that the fact that Ecuador borders Colombia and Peru but not Amazonas is clearer.

All of the changes above except Norway <--> Moskva (which I think most people were unaware of) do not affect game play/strategy they simply make the original intent clearer. I think this version can replace the current version without ruining any games in progress.

A number of suggestions like the splitting of China or adding a Chile <---> Australia sea lane while potentially improvements to the map would impact any games in progress and I don't think the map "needs" them to fix critical flaws. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Zim

P.S. gavin, not sure what you mean with respect to Australia state borders, I agree Australia is usually shown such that the borders are "straight" north south but given the projection used here I think they are accurate though I'm no cartographer so if I've misaligned them let me know what you'd suggest... The project is Robinson see info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_projection
Lieutenant zim

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:54 pm

* Moved Ecuador army shadow so that the fact that Ecuador borders Colombia and Peru but not Amazonas is clearer.

thanks for that update! w00t :P that was the only problem i did have
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:17 pm

Sumatra Still has a line that appears to go to Borneo. I know it doesn't, but the line to the island shows it does. Just letting you know. This is that main cause of confusion with the current map and I do not beleive this map has fixed the issue. If you want to keep it the same, make Borneo smaller and move it up so the line from Sumatra and Sulawesi is not broken. Then connect Sulawesi and Borneo.
Major WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas