Conquer Club

Vancouver [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Vancouver Map [D] (Apr15 - p14)

Postby tlane on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:09 pm

I think the "real" textures are nice, but some of the areas need the texture to have less opacity - maple ridge and surrey
Is the bird trying to represent hunting or something? maybe I haven't read enough but maybe that should be changed to something else, that is more clearly a sport.

looks nice
tlane
sailorseal wrote:come on, now i am all sticky
Private tlane

Postby sailorseal on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:41 pm

The bird sanctuary seems to have a lower opacity then the rest or maybe it is just me. Also I would separate the bonus for black and white sports figures, whites are easier to hold.The graphics look great
Nice Map!
Cook sailorseal

Postby shakeycat on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:44 pm

The bonus for black and white is separate, that would be the or in White or Black sports figures. I would assume by only counting to five, you only have five of one or five of another. If they were interchangeable, there would be a bonus for owning 6, 7, 8, and on, right? Perhaps not explained clearly enough?

The key word in Bird Sanctuary would be Sanctuary, the sport is birdwatching. I considered putting a little man with binoculars looking up at the bird, but I am not sure how obvious it would be what he was doing. Perhaps I should try that. A bird is a clearer figure. Perhaps not a very active sport, but outdoorsy and gives a bonus to the area. I'm not sure what other outdoor sports would work on the map if I were to change it? I suppose there could be a water sport somewhere, since I haven't used that. But it is a tight squeeze anywhere in the north for kayaking, so maybe a swimmer off White Rock instead of the birdwatching? Except the swimming there is not so great, slimy sea and all.
Current Map Project: Tokyo
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby Danyael on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:58 pm

shakeycat wrote:The bonus for black and white is separate, that would be the or in White or Black sports figures. I would assume by only counting to five, you only have five of one or five of another. If they were interchangeable, there would be a bonus for owning 6, 7, 8, and on, right? Perhaps not explained clearly enough?

i thought it was clear enough but i guess you could clarify it with "*of one type underneath"

shakeycat wrote:The key word in Bird Sanctuary would be Sanctuary, the sport is birdwatching. I considered putting a little man with binoculars looking up at the bird, but I am not sure how obvious it would be what he was doing. Perhaps I should try that. A bird is a clearer figure. Perhaps not a very active sport, but outdoorsy and gives a bonus to the area. I'm not sure what other outdoor sports would work on the map if I were to change it? I suppose there could be a water sport somewhere, since I haven't used that. But it is a tight squeeze anywhere in the north for kayaking, so maybe a swimmer off White Rock instead of the birdwatching? Except the swimming there is not so great, slimy sea and all.

i think the bird works fine you don't need to kill something in order for it to be a sport

edit::
as well i have a hard time seeing the west coast express line over maple ridge it was hard before the textures but blends in even more its not that big of deal just letting you know
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby shakeycat on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:40 pm

Or maybe an underline under or?

Thanks for noticing that - I'll tweak the colour.
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby iancanton on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:32 am

shakeycat wrote:Canada Line: How should I add a stop for YVR? And should Sea Island really be named YVR? I like that Sea Island is real words, as YVR may confuse any non-locals by not standing for anything. Sea Island already touches Bridgeport and Mayfair and Kerrisdale, so by making a YVR stop that attaches between Mayfair and Kerrisdale, or to either one, would it be redundant? Though I suppose with the bonus involved it is not so much for travel as for the bonus above another bonus.

if u have 66 starting regions (plus 1 neutral), then u don't have to have an extra canada line station. my wife, who's canadian, didn't know what YVR was (only YYZ!).

to prevent players from starting with one of the three 3-region bonuses, code them as start positions in the xml. if u do this, then one region within each bonus will be allocated to each player in 2-player and 3-player games only. related to this, eliminate the 3-sport bonuses, but boost the 4-sport and 5-sport bonuses to +4 and +5 respectively, since they'll be really difficult to hold. the black and white figures look good without the squiggles!

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby General Bradley on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:15 pm

iancanton wrote:if u have 66 starting regions (plus 1 neutral), then u don't have to have an extra canada line station. my wife, who's canadian, didn't know what YVR was (only YYZ!).

Is she Canadian or Torontonian? ;)

iancanton wrote:to prevent players from starting with one of the three 3-region bonuses, code them as start positions in the xml. if u do this, then one region within each bonus will be allocated to each player in 2-player and 3-player games only. related to this, eliminate the 3-sport bonuses, but boost the 4-sport and 5-sport bonuses to +4 and +5 respectively, since they'll be really difficult to hold. the black and white figures look good without the squiggles!

ian. :)

Hey shakey, I think the carto god's just said its time to move onto the xml! =D> (I think he misplaced the stampy, but I'm sure he'll find it soon) :-s
Corporal 1st Class General Bradley

Re: Vancouver Map [D] (Apr17 - p14)

Postby shakeycat on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:29 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Danyael, is the purple colour better now? I tweaked the colour of the WCE instead of Maple Ridge, it should be more visible now. If it isn't, please tell me.

Changed bonuses for figures. Underlined or. I could type more explanation, but I figure the less words the better, so long as it is still clear. Is it?
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby darreldpahl on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:07 pm

R U considering the new crossing between Pittmeadows and SurLang
Private darreldpahl

Postby keiths31 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:13 pm

I think the sports themes and images cheapen the map. I am biased towards standard gameplay though. The map just looks too busy.
Corporal 1st Class keiths31

Postby shakeycat on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:40 am

Keiths, I'm just as happy to return to standard gameplay. How does everyone else feel?

Darrel, I probably should, as it opens soon. But is the location far enough West to be Cloverdale to Pitt Meadows (and not a redundant Fort Langley to Maple Ridge), and is this a positive or negative effect on gameplay? I could also do it instead of the Albion Ferry crossing, since the bridge is a more permanent structure anyway.
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby Danyael on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:14 pm

shakeycat wrote:Danyael, is the purple colour better now? I tweaked the colour of the WCE instead of Maple Ridge, it should be more visible now. If it isn't, please tell me.

Changed bonuses for figures. Underlined or. I could type more explanation, but I figure the less words the better, so long as it is still clear. Is it?

its still tough for myself to see it but its an improvement.
maybe play with a drop shadow to make it a little more defined (this might make it look to "floaty")

keiths31 wrote:I think the sports themes and images cheapen the map. I am biased towards standard gameplay though. The map just looks too busy.

i enjoy standard maps as well but but the figures make the scheme of things a little more interesting in gameplay terms

Postby General Bradley on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:50 am

keiths31 wrote:I think the sports themes and images cheapen the map. I am biased towards standard gameplay though. The map just looks too busy.

And we are pretty much back to mar 19th. I agree, looks better and is less "gimmicky" with the sports removed.

I think the sports were added because, in order to move the map forward we have to generate interest and chatter about it. If you already have a nice map, and are just waiting for a stamp, you won't get a stamp because there isn't enough interest shown in the posts about it. Maybe we need a picture of Alan Arkin as Yossarian in the corner ;)

How do we go about getting this moved ahead? I wanna play it (without the sports, which have only generated negative feedback to my knowledge.) Do we have to submit a petition? Or do we just wait? Maybe we need a bunch of people to say they like it? :?:
Last edited by General Bradley on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby General Bradley on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:52 am

shakeycat wrote:Keiths, I'm just as happy to return to standard gameplay. How does everyone else feel?

Darrel, I probably should, as it opens soon. But is the location far enough West to be Cloverdale to Pitt Meadows (and not a redundant Fort Langley to Maple Ridge), and is this a positive or negative effect on gameplay? I could also do it instead of the Albion Ferry crossing, since the bridge is a more permanent structure anyway.

The albion ferry is ending service in June, so you could just move the link over slightly to line up with 208th rather than 232nd. (I thought the link WAS the bridge originally.)

Postby keiths31 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:58 am

I think there is a move to make maps more and more complicated and a shift away from standard gameplay...which is too bad. I hope you are able to move forward with the map without having to have stray to far from your original vision.

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:49 pm

keiths31 wrote:I think there is a move to make maps more and more complicated and a shift away from standard gameplay...which is too bad. I hope you are able to move forward with the map without having to have stray to far from your original vision.

For every complicated map, there will almost always be 2 standard. :)

But back on the topic, I almost always enjoy standard/classic/etc play the best.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby sailorseal on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:55 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
keiths31 wrote:I think there is a move to make maps more and more complicated and a shift away from standard gameplay...which is too bad. I hope you are able to move forward with the map without having to have stray to far from your original vision.

But back on the topic, I almost always enjoy standard/classic/etc play the best.
--Andy

This is back on topic? Mmmmmmmmmm :lol:
But actually on topic I see no theme in the colors, they all seem bright but random
Move the word Capilano up a few pixels so that if Ambleside hits 3 digits there won't be any covering
Cook sailorseal

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:03 pm

sailorseal wrote:Move the word Capilano up a few pixels so that if Ambleside hits 3 digits there won't be any covering

Seems fine. Would only clip the bottom of the C. I'd deal with that in FF in any case.
Sorry for not reading, but is there any precursor to the white & black sports? Because I'd just go with one for less confusion (even with the key, some just judge it by visuals) unless there is a true reason for this.
Oh, and besides the texture, which I'm not a huge fan of, I really love the visuals of the map :) !

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby keiths31 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:07 pm

sailorseal wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:

--Andy

This is back on topic? Mmmmmmmmmm :lol:
But actually on topic I see no theme in the colors, they all seem bright but random
Move the word Capilano up a few pixels so that if Ambleside hits 3 digits there won't be any covering

Why do colours need a theme? Why can't they just be colours that look nice? My favourite map on CC is Alexander's Empire and it is just random colours.

Postby darreldpahl on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:59 pm

they will probably end up getting rid of the ferry anyway ......can you just move it downstream?
Private darreldpahl

Postby General Bradley on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:29 am

darreldpahl wrote:they will probably end up getting rid of the ferry anyway ......can you just move it downstream?

http://www.vancouversun.com/Albion+ferry+last+sailing+July/1428510/story.html

Last Sailing is July 31st. Lets keep the link between the same countries, just wiggle it over a hair.

Re: Vancouver Map [D] (Apr20 - p15)

Postby shakeycat on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Click image to enlarge.

I changed the Albion ferry to the Golden Ears bridge, and No, I didn't know the ferry was being cancelled. I shadowed the transit, then did the army circles too. Removed sports stuff.

I keep hearing about the texture - is it just because Maple Ridge has such an obvious texture? If so, can I just reduce the texture on that one and off we go? I wanted to have a texture of some sort, and the one I have was the least offensive for all territories. Is there another we would like to try?

The colours - There isn't a theme to them. I picked, as someone said, colours that look nice together. I wanted the territories to be easily distinguishable from one another. I like a map that you can look at and understand easily what's what.

And yes, the sports were added to get things churning. I kept hearing how I needed some Olympic tie-in, so we walked the "What if..." route ... a couple of them, really. And we found the answer to be "No", so we're back to where we were. Still, if we look back to March, other things have changed.
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby Danyael on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:32 pm

the metro looks wonderful now good job
the slight shadow defines it perfectly

Postby keiths31 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:34 am

Looks great. Sharp and standard gameplay. I like it.

Postby General Bradley on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Love it! I'm giving it the "General Bradley Stamp of Approval" I'm also stamping it with my special ultra-prestigious "I wanna play this in Beta NOW" stamp. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas