Conquer Club

Oceania [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Oceania Map v6 [D] - 03/05/2009

Postby yeti_c on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:52 am

The 2nd 'l' in wellington is 2 pixels over the first 'l's 1 pixel...

Can you make it consistent? (This is a scaling issue)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby pikkio on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:40 pm

yeti_c wrote:The 2nd 'l' in wellington is 2 pixels over the first 'l's 1 pixel...

C.

LOOOOL!! you're really a good observer! :P
i don't know why it happens.. obviusly all the letters in the name are at the same dimension.. but i increase by some decimals that word and the problem is solved. ;) you can see it in the next update.
Sergeant 1st Class pikkio

Postby yeti_c on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:00 pm

pikkio wrote:
yeti_c wrote:The 2nd 'l' in wellington is 2 pixels over the first 'l's 1 pixel...

C.

LOOOOL!! you're really a good observer! :P
i don't know why it happens.. obviusly all the letters in the name are at the same dimension.. but i increase by some decimals that word and the problem is solved. ;) you can see it in the next update.

Yeah - it's because the word wants to be a certain size - but it struggles to increase slightly...

Technically the same is true of the two i's in Fiji - but it's less obvious because they're not next to each other - so it doesn't matter as much...

Because the two l's are next to each other it just jumped out.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby reggie_mac on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Good work on the name changes for NZ, but the Chatham Islands, for consistency, are normally got to via Christchurch rather than Wellington, so moving the link down to where the Wellington / Canterbury link meets up on the south island.

On another note, the line going through the north island almost needs the left hand end to be moved up to at least half way through the east cape, where it is now makes Northland more what we would call Central Districts.

Also, there is some big blob island at the top of the North Island ... there is no island there, it needs to go.

Chatham islands are slightly off, the top island should be the big one, Chatham Island, and the bottom one the small one, Pitt Island. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatham_Islands

Thats about it...
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:35 pm

reggie_mac wrote:Good work on the name changes for NZ, but the Chatham Islands, for consistency, are normally got to via Christchurch rather than Wellington, so moving the link down to where the Wellington / Canterbury link meets up on the south island.

i see this... :)
Image we obviously modify this route and it don't change the gameplay ;)

reggie_mac wrote:Also, there is some big blob island at the top of the North Island ... there is no island there, it needs to go. On another note, the line going through the north island almost needs the left hand end to be moved up to at least half way through the east cape, where it is now makes Northland more what we would call Central Districts.

we change them in the next update, like letters (Pikkio spoke about that). We hope to start the graphic process soon...

reggie_mac wrote:Chatham islands are slightly off, the top island should be the big one, Chatham Island, and the bottom one the small one, Pitt Island.

Sorry but we don't want to be so realistic! :shock:
And we refused in past something similar for graphic reasons (here)

thank you =D>
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby reggie_mac on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:38 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
reggie_mac wrote:Chatham islands are slightly off, the top island should be the big one, Chatham Island, and the bottom one the small one, Pitt Island.

Sorry but we don't want to be so realistic! :shock:
And we refused in past something similar for graphic reasons (here)

thank you =D>[/quote]

Not meaning to be realistic, but the way it is now its just plain wrong, even if you just did a vertical flip on them it would look better. Can't just o swapping islands around :)
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:43 pm

reggie_mac wrote:Not meaning to be realistic, but the way it is now its just plain wrong, even if you just did a vertical flip on them it would look better. Can't just o swapping islands around :)

ok i'll ask to graphic to see what he can do ;)

Postby Qwert on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:50 pm

You need to put in tittle-Update 03-05-2009-page 1-?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Graphicaly-these map is finish,from mine view.
I think that you have to much big army circles,try to create circle where will 2 digit nice fit(24px cirrcle)
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby pikkio on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:28 pm

qwert wrote:Graphicaly-these map is finish,from mine view.
I think that you have to much big army circles,try to create circle where will 2 digit nice fit(24px cirrcle)

actually the army circles are 22x22 px. you said that are too much big, and then tell me to make it 24px (more big than now). did i understand wrong?

i did all the other little changes suggested by reggie. let see in the next. ;)

Postby Qwert on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:34 pm

sorry mine mistake,im using circles 20px,then good to 2 digit fit perfect.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Incandenza on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:15 am

I do have one small issue... there are quite a few dead ends, and while you guys portray them as a feature, not a mistake (i.e. making foggy games more interesting, tho potentially at the expense of escalating games), and that there's one in every continent... well, new zealand, australia, and east indonesia all have 2 dead end terits. I imagine this is intentional, I'm just wondering why those 3 bonuses have 2?
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:33 am

Incandenza wrote:I do have one small issue... there are quite a few dead ends, and while you guys portray them as a feature, not a mistake (i.e. making foggy games more interesting, tho potentially at the expense of escalating games), and that there's one in every continent... well, new zealand, australia, and east indonesia all have 2 dead end terits. I imagine this is intentional, I'm just wondering why those 3 bonuses have 2?

Yes, I intentionally want some dead ends for foggy,assassins and escalating games!.
At start there's only one dead end for continet.
Anyways they are the "results" of ian suggestions, if you look here and here.
And if you want my opinion i don't dislike them. :)
I think we could fix the indonesia, perhaps linking suwalesi to timor.
But about NZ and Aussie, i like very much the actual result so i don't like to change them because they don't create a unfair gameplay.

Postby Incandenza on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:53 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
Incandenza wrote:I do have one small issue... there are quite a few dead ends, and while you guys portray them as a feature, not a mistake (i.e. making foggy games more interesting, tho potentially at the expense of escalating games), and that there's one in every continent... well, new zealand, australia, and east indonesia all have 2 dead end terits. I imagine this is intentional, I'm just wondering why those 3 bonuses have 2?

Yes, I intentionally want some dead ends for foggy,assassins and escalating games!.
At start there's only one dead end for continet.
Anyways they are the "results" of ian suggestions, if you look here and here.
And if you want my opinion i don't dislike them. :)
I think we could fix the indonesia, perhaps linking suwalesi to timor.
But about NZ and Aussie, i like very much the actual result so i don't like to change them because they don't create a unfair gameplay.

It's just that there's ten dead end terits. That seems like a lot.

What would you think about connecting Chatham/Canterbury along with Sulawesi/Timor? That leaves 8 dead ends, and the only continent that's doubled up is aussie, the biggest and most accessible one.

Colonel Incandenza

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:14 am

Incandenza wrote:What would you think about connecting Chatham/Canterbury along with Sulawesi/Timor? That leaves 8 dead ends, and the only continent that's doubled up is aussie, the biggest and most accessible one.

OK! for me is good today i will link chatam to canterbury and suwalesi to timor. ;)
This evevening ( in italy ;) ) i will post the update.

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:33 am

Incandenza wrote:It's just that there's ten dead end terits. That seems like a lot.

What would you think about connecting Chatham/Canterbury along with Sulawesi/Timor? That leaves 8 dead ends, and the only continent that's doubled up is aussie, the biggest and most accessible one.

None of the dead ends actually matter though Inc - because they are only 1 territory dead ends - you can take them - then move on - as long as you don't advance into them.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Incandenza on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:45 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Incandenza wrote:It's just that there's ten dead end terits. That seems like a lot.

None of the dead ends actually matter though Inc - because they are only 1 territory dead ends - you can take them - then move on - as long as you don't advance into them.

C.

It's more about blocks during escalating games... and like I said, I don't want to get rid of 'em all, but knocking off 2 when something like 20% of the terits are dead ends doesn't sound like a bad idea...

Colonel Incandenza

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Incandenza wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

It's more about blocks during escalating games... and like I said, I don't want to get rid of 'em all, but knocking off 2 when something like 20% of the terits are dead ends doesn't sound like a bad idea...

But aren't blocks a good thing in Escalating?

A true dead end on CC is one that is 2 territories deep - in Board Game Hasbro Risk - then it is 1 deep - due to the advance what you roll rule... it's an important distinction.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Oceania Map v6.1 [D] - 03/06/2009 Update P1&13

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Oceania Map V6.1

Click image to enlarge.

Requested:
show: fix New Zealand
Decision:
Fixed

Requested:
show: Dead Ends
Decision:
Added two new routes.

Now gameplay has the last "forge", no more modification needed, waiting Incandenza stamping.

Open for graphic suggestions. :)

Postby Incandenza on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:55 pm

yeti_c wrote:But aren't blocks a good thing in Escalating?

A true dead end on CC is one that is 2 territories deep - in Board Game Hasbro Risk - then it is 1 deep - due to the advance what you roll rule... it's an important distinction.

C.

Yes, blocks are a good thing, but like all good things, they're best taken in moderation... for instance, while I like Solar System, it's a freaking nightmare for singles escalating. Now, obviously this map doesn't have the blizzard of true according-to-Hoyle dead ends, but I try to keep a close eye on any terit that's only accessible from one other terit.

That being said, I am satisfied with the changes, bonus structure looks good, no big bottlenecks, nothing too unbalanced (and I can't tell you how much I'm glad that pitcairn island got the boot earlier in the process)...

On to graphics... and I have one immediate nitpick: there's an oddly colored island behind the "w" in wallis and fortuna... it's melanisia-colored next to a polynesia terit... so that should probably go...

Colonel Incandenza

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:04 pm

Incandenza wrote:

On to graphics... and I have one immediate nitpick: there's an oddly colored island behind the "w" in wallis and fortuna... it's melanisia-colored next to a polynesia terit... so that should probably go...

Thank you for stamping ! =D>

And for suggestions too.

;)

Come on members, we want suggestions for graphic! :)

Re: Oceania Map v6.1 [D,Gp] - Pg1-14

Postby sailorseal on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 pm

Just for fun I would surround the legend in a cool Oceania looking box and make a cooler font
Nice map
Cook sailorseal

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:25 pm

sailorseal wrote:… make a cooler font

Nice job, nobody ;)

Crazy, but I do agree with sailor … to an extent. I think that you can spruce up the names, but with how crazy chaotic (not necessarily a bad thing … I like this feel because of the way the Southern Pacific really is) the map seems, maybe just italicizing the text would be enough? Do keep the bonus names capital non-italics though.

And I the background doesn't suit me … I think you can do much better. Right now it looks very … for lack of a better phrase, plain, simple, and no offense but something a beginner would do, in contrast to the rest. Keep the subtle-ness of the texture — right now it doesn't interfere with the rest of the map, which would bring the craziness into OD — but I think you can find something more water-like to use.

Oh, and as a small thing, I suggest you either add a bit of Gaussian blur or just take the blur tool and lightly blur the outline of the surfer, as I think it's a bit too sharp for the rest of the map.

Keep at it!
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby icehack on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:30 am

I'm looking forward to trying this out. Looks great!
Corporal 1st Class icehack

Re: Oceania Map v6.2 [D,Gp]

Postby pikkio on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:17 pm

thanx for the stamp!! ^_^

i made some little changes in the graphic. ;) comment please!!

Click image to enlarge.

-the surfer was blured (more on the edges)
-the words are now italic and a bit bigger. the problem with the font is that the words must be little, condensed and clear, cause the less space in the map.. keep in mind that this is the big map!
-i had change the water background. infact, i made the old version before i learn some tricks with my graphic program. now it's better, isn't it? ^_^

for the bonus box, i really don't have ideas.. Onestly i don't like it, but i made it like this only cause i'm waiting a great idea that won't come.. please, help me with suggestion!!

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas