Conquer Club

Place Banned People in a Private Usergroup

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Place Banned People in a Private Usergroup

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Concise description:
  • When people are banned from the forum, automatically add them to a separate forum so they have a place to air their grievances and still be connected to the site

Specifics/Details:
  • QQ could be a good option, or a new open usergroup specifically for this purpose

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • for people who are banned who are less forum savvy, they can know they have a place that still loves them
  • keep people connected to and logged onto the website, so when the ban ends they come back
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: Place Banned People in a Private Usergroup

Postby riskllama on Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:06 pm

i like it.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby IcePack on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:47 pm

So what happens when / if they do something bannable in the banned private usergroup area?

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack

Postby riskllama on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:50 pm

the plot thickens...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:07 am

IcePack wrote:So what happens when / if they do something bannable in the banned private usergroup area?

there's no such thing. and it's an open usergroup, so even if they are kicked out, they can just rejoin.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby mrswdk on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:34 pm

You could call it flame wars, and in it people are allowed to do whatever they like.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby betiko on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:03 pm

so when your ban is removed, are you banned from there?
Major betiko

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:17 pm

betiko wrote:so when your ban is removed, are you banned from there?

No, it's an open usergroup. It's just that when you are banned, you get placed in it automatically to facilitate joining (not everyone knows how to join usergroups). There is nothing stopping players from leaving it either. The ban message should include an invitation to post in the group.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:50 am

This whole thing seems to remove the main point of a forum ban. It removes the incentive to change one's ways. Some degenerates might be completely happy posting in a closed group of like-minded degenerates and never bother trying to return to the main population.

The only way I could see this working was if it was a radically-crippled subforum: straight low-ASCII text, with no graphic support or hyperlinking.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:10 am

Dukasaur wrote:This whole thing seems to remove the main point of a forum ban. It removes the incentive to change one's ways. Some degenerates might be completely happy posting in a closed group of like-minded degenerates and never bother trying to return to the main population.

Does it make Dukasaur sad when people make groups and don't invite him to them?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:34 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:This whole thing seems to remove the main point of a forum ban. It removes the incentive to change one's ways. Some degenerates might be completely happy posting in a closed group of like-minded degenerates and never bother trying to return to the main population.

Not particularly. I'm already involved in more things here than I can comfortably manage, and I've had to refuse 90% of the invitations to various groups that I've received.

The point is perfectly intelligible without requiring any psychoanalysis. You're not going to get behavioral reform if punishment is a fun time.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:01 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:

Not particularly. I'm already involved in more things here than I can comfortably manage, and I've had to refuse 90% of the invitations to various groups that I've received.

The point is perfectly intelligible without requiring any psychoanalysis. You're not going to get behavioral reform if punishment is a fun time.

make it kind of a 56K connection page. wait for half an hour for a page to load, happy times! I want my windows 95, and use yahoo search engine on my netscape browser.
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:58 am

Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:

The point of a forum ban is just to remove people who don't want to follow the rules from the forums. If they decide they'd rather just go and participate in a private group instead of posting in some vanilla public forum then I don't see what the problem is. The public forum is rid of someone who doesn't want to follow the rules, the rule breaker gets somewhere else to go and post. Win win.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Beast Of Burson on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Some degenerates might be completely happy posting in a closed group of like-minded degenerates and never bother trying to return to the main population.

CC Prison? :lol:
Cook Beast Of Burson

Postby MagnusGreeol on Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:20 am

Beast Of Burson wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Some degenerates might be completely happy posting in a closed group of like-minded degenerates and never bother trying to return to the main population.

CC Prison? :lol:

- Haa! I actually like the idea of CC prison! Let the degenerates eat themselves up, they can't get to the public, so let the worst of the worst right it out in prison!!
Colonel MagnusGreeol

Postby owenshooter on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:04 am

mrswdk wrote:Does it make Dukasaur sad when people make groups and don't invite him to them?

Dukasaur wrote:Not particularly. I'm already involved in more things here than I can comfortably manage, and I've had to refuse 90% of the invitations to various groups that I've received.

ohhh, look at joe cool!!! ohhh, we get it!!! we get it!!!! let me paraphrase for you:

Dukasaur wrote:

ok, ok, we get it, you are in the cool kids club and the majority of us are not... rub it in!!! sigh...-Bj
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:05 pm

The whole point of banning someone from the forums is so that they have a time out to think about what they've done and whether they like the prospect of being permanently forum banned. That's the end result of continuous bad behaviour. Most people do decide to tone it down if they know that the possibility of a permanent ban is on the horizon.

Giving them a private forum to troll the staff and admins just defeats the purpose of being banned in the first place.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby mrswdk on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:44 pm

It's not a forum ban, it's a public forum ban. There is a difference.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:The whole point of banning someone from the forums is so that they have a time out to think about what they've done and whether they like the prospect of being permanently forum banned. That's the end result of continuous bad behaviour. Most people do decide to tone it down if they know that the possibility of a permanent ban is on the horizon.

Giving them a private forum to troll the staff and admins just defeats the purpose of being banned in the first place.

the staff and admin don't have to visit if they don't want.

You guys miss the point - there already is this place, the only difference is that most people don't know about it. We have these great resources and don't use them and that's what kills the forum. Rulesmongering.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Well... maybe 4 years ago you could argue that this forum had rules and sometimes, the rules could be harsh. It's gone the other end of the extreme now and it might as well be a forum of banned trolls. It's really terrible lol. Don't see why they should have a toilet to mess around in during a ban. Like I said, the whole point of a ban is to give the person a timeout to hopefully dial back their behaviour.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Serbia on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:49 pm

Guys, I think they're actually moving forward on this! There's this new forum, le Circular File, (wink wink! ;) ) which would be the PERFECT forum solution to this request! DY, my hat is literally off my head at this exact moment. Congrats on an awesome suggestion that looks to be on the Fast Track to implementation!
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Return to Suggestions