Conquer Club

[GO] Fog of Rank

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: anonymous, or "Fog-of-Player" games (Ā©owenshooter) [POLL!]

Postby Timminz on Thu May 08, 2008 8:08 am

i am the walrus
Captain Timminz

Re: anonymous, or "Fog-of-Player" games (Ā©owenshooter) [POLL!]

Postby bbqpenguin on Thu May 08, 2008 9:02 pm

Timminz wrote:i am the walrus

goo goo ga-choo!
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

New Mode: Hidden Names and Ranks

Postby Mentos- on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:23 am

I've noticed a lot of people complain about how people will join, or not join a game because of the scores of players in the game, and will play differently depending on the scores also.
High rank players might take out low rank players to avoid a huge point loss, and low rank players might take out high rank players to win more points. This is especially an issue in terminator. Although I have not had too much trouble with any of this, I thought this might be a nice addition.

Concise description:
  • Players names and ranks are not shown in the game until the game is over.

Specifics:
  • When a game is filling up with this mode selected, players names and ranks will be replaced with whatever their color is or would be. (Player who creates the game is renamed Red, next to join is renamed Green, etc.) The names stay like this until the game is over, then the names are returned to normal, and the players can see all the names and ranks like in any other game.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Eliminates joining or not joining a game based on ranks.
  • Removes the influence of score on players attacks.

Not sure exactly what it would be called yet, but that's not too important
High Score: 2693
Highest Rank: 35
Lieutenant Mentos-

Re: New Mode: Hidden Names and Ranks

Postby Timminz on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:27 am

I don't know what happened to it, but I know that this has been suggested before.
Captain Timminz

Postby Thezzaruz on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:39 am

Timminz wrote:I don't know what happened to it, but I know that this has been suggested before.

Yea it has been, still a good idea though.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby MrBenn on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:50 am

The original thread is here:
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49707

The idea was called 'fog of players' or something, although 'Anonymous game' is probably better...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby blakebowling on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:17 am

I know I should post this in the other thread (and I will), but I think it should be an option, not a mandatory "Hidden Names"
Private blakebowling

Postby Night Strike on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:10 am

This is a great idea in theory, but there are several flaws in it.

1) How will you know who you're joining a game with? (Terrible effects on tournaments and private games unless they're exempt.)

2) This will actually make it harder to spot multis while the game is going on because you won't know who you're playing.

3) How would you know that your team partner has already joined the game in order to get the second team in there?
Major Night Strike

Postby firth4eva on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:11 am

You could join a game with someone on your ignore list without knowing.
Captain firth4eva

Postby bedub1 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:38 am

Mentos- wrote:I've noticed a lot of people complain about how people will join, or not join a game because of the scores of players in the game, and will play differently depending on the scores also.
High rank players might take out low rank players to avoid a huge point loss, and low rank players might take out high rank players to win more points. This is especially an issue in terminator. Although I have not had too much trouble with any of this, I thought this might be a nice addition.

Concise description:
  • Players names and ranks are not shown in the game until the game is over.

Specifics:
  • When a game is filling up with this mode selected, players names and ranks will be replaced with whatever their color is or would be. (Player who creates the game is renamed Red, next to join is renamed Green, etc.) The names stay like this until the game is over, then the names are returned to normal, and the players can see all the names and ranks like in any other game.

• Eliminates joining or not joining a game based on ranks.
  • Removes the influence of score on players attacks.

Not sure exactly what it would be called yet, but that's not too important

Way to come up with a great idea. Unfortunately, it is just a "patch" and not a solution to the "problem".
Colonel bedub1

Postby Timminz on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:09 am

Night Strike wrote:This is a great idea in theory, but there are several flaws in it.

1) How will you know who you're joining a game with? (Terrible effects on tournaments and private games unless they're exempt.)

2) This will actually make it harder to spot multis while the game is going on because you won't know who you're playing.

3) How would you know that your team partner has already joined the game in order to get the second team in there?

firth4eva wrote:You could join a game with someone on your ignore list without knowing.

Most of these issues could be resolved by having the names listed as normal, until the game starts. At which point, the order would be randomized and the names removed.
Captain Timminz

Postby blakebowling on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:11 am

Timminz wrote:
Night Strike wrote:This is a great idea in theory, but there are several flaws in it.

firth4eva wrote:You could join a game with someone on your ignore list without knowing.

Most of these issues could be resolved by having the names listed as normal, until the game starts. At which point, the order would be randomized and the names removed.

well, you should at least be able to see who your teammate is
Private blakebowling

Postby bedub1 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:14 am

Timminz wrote:

Way to think out of the box. I agree this is a potential solution....but not quite the one "I" would prefer....
Colonel bedub1

Postby Thezzaruz on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:36 am

Night Strike wrote:1) How will you know who you're joining a game with? (Terrible effects on tournaments and private games unless they're exempt.

Ofc there needs to be an option to do (at least) Tourneys and Private games without it (perhaps even BR games). Tourneys could work anyway though but it might be a bit more work for the one running it.

Night Strike wrote:2) This will actually make it harder to spot multis while the game is going on because you won't know who you're playing.

For the lazy "spotters" perhaps, the names would still be shown you'd just have to remember/write down that red and green did this and that instead of lack and twill did... And ofc admins looking at the game at a later date should have the same info as today.

Night Strike wrote:3) How would you know that your team partner has already joined the game in order to get the second team in there?

Your teammate should ofc show all the time (would work really well if we ever get the "make passworded games public" feature.

That's because the ignore list feature is crap atm.

And Timminz idea ain't bad either.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:31 am

...you forgot #4...

4) Game number can't be hidden, so the problem of pre-made teams joining up at once and destroying hapless players will still go on.

...and while I'm at it, #5...

5) Players on the same team can just post in team chat who they are

...which opens up #6...

6) Someone can impersonate someone else for a time, which I'm sure won't result in any sort of undue or misguided flames going on somewhere on the forums.

I've thought about this option for a while, several months, and I can't see any way that it would solve a problem without creating another, potentially bigger, problem.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 am

Playing ranks that are much higher than yourself is a great part of many players' strategies, so I don't agree with deleting the ranking system. And when I see a name I've played before I generally chat more to them; if players had no idea who they are talking to they would chat even less to other players. Hiding a player's name would make everything too impersonal and make it hard to organise rematches and to spot multis. And as a footnote- it's fun to command respect from lower ranks; so don't get rid of the ranks :D
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby blakebowling on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:09 am

e_i_pi wrote:

...you forgot #4...

4) Game number can't be hidden, so the problem of pre-made teams joining up at once and destroying hapless players will still go on.

...and while I'm at it, #5...

5) Players on the same team can just post in team chat who they are

...which opens up #6...

6) Someone can impersonate someone else for a time, which I'm sure won't result in any sort of undue or misguided flames going on somewhere on the forums.

I've thought about this option for a while, several months, and I can't see any way that it would solve a problem without creating another, potentially bigger, problem.

Yeah, let people play who they want, if you want to play whoever PM me for some special links.
Private blakebowling

Anonymity function

Postby oliverseeley on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:04 pm

Player's names are displayed, but they are not attached to a colour.

That way you cannot discriminate against certain opponents because you won't know who they are.
Lieutenant oliverseeley

Re: Anonymity function

Postby drake_259 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:30 pm

NO!!! because strategy goes out of the window and the game becomes only luck based

Also if this was added I'm sure a lot of people would leave cc
Corporal drake_259

Postby lancehoch on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:43 pm

This sounds like an interesting idea. Can you expand on it more and possibly put it into the Suggs & Bugs form?
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:50 pm

I am not so sure... I think I like the idea that you do not know the names more than the other way round. That way, you know who is the one getting 50 troops, and that you should not be attacking some of the other players. I don't really want to suicide against two players building up against each other because I think they are the same person.

The Neon Peon wrote:
Code: Select all
<DELETE ME>
PLACE A CONCISE DESCRIPTION OF THE SUGGESTION OR BUG IN THE SUBJECT LINE!!!

The dice ARE random, lots and lots of analysis has been done on them both internally and by community members.

Search for previous suggestion or bug reports and check stickies before posting something "new".

Delete or replace any xxxxxxx with the appropriate information.
Delete any entires which do not apply.
</DELETE ME>

All this text is deleted, it simply tells you what to do.

[b]Concise description:[/b]
[list]
[*]xxxxxxx
[/list]

Replace the "xxxxxxx" with a Concise Description of the suggestion. It will then look like this in the post:

Concise description:
  • The Concise Description you filled in.

[b]Specifics:[/b]
[list]
[*]xxxxxxx
[/list]

Replace the "xxxxxxx" with the Specifics of the suggestion. It will look like this in the post:

Specifics:
  • The Specifics of the post you so kindly filled in.

[b]This will improve the following aspects of the site:[/b]
[list]
[*]xxxxxxx (you can obviously delete this for bug reports)
[*]xxxxxxx
[/list]

Here you delete the "xxxxxxx (you can obviously delete this for bug reports)" and the "xxxxxxx" and replace them correspondingly with the first improvement this will make to the site, and the second improvement the suggestion will make to the site. It will look like this in your post:

• One thing that will be improved on the site.
  • Another thing that will be improved on the site.

Hope this helped you out. Mods do not look at suggestions (usually) if you do not fill out the form. Makes things so much simpler for the readers.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:12 pm

oliverseeley wrote:Player's names are displayed, but they are not attached to a colour.

That way you cannot discriminate against certain opponents because you won't know who they are.
Very interesting concept. I like it. You would need to make it so that when a player gets killed, His name and color are shown, because you may just need the info if you suspect any cheating going on. Also, you would have to, only show color in game chat. Not the name. Because you would be able to tell what color the person is, by the log. I am concerned with one thing though. It just may turn out in the end, to help cheaters. One thing that we do NOT need is, cheaters getting there hands on a "cloaking" device. LOL. Also you would need to make the identity of teammates known to each other, because You would obviously need to know which colors are friend or foe.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Blinkadyblink on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:31 pm

How much would the log tell you? Would it be like in fog where places are replaced with ?s, or would the names of players be replaced as well?
Major Blinkadyblink

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:45 pm

Blinkadyblink wrote:How much would the log tell you? Would it be like in fog where places are replaced with ?s, or would the names of players be replaced as well?
Players will write in the game chat when they are taking there turns. So, it would be pretty easy to figure out, because the name in the log was at the same time a specific color took their turn. Also, you would need to make the colors random, verses the set order, used now.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby oliverseeley on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Blinkadyblink wrote:How much would the log tell you? Would it be like in fog where places are replaced with ?s, or would the names of players be replaced as well?

The names of the players, as listed in the game log would need to be by colour. You would have all the info about what a players does as you do now except you wouldn't know their name, just their colour. When they speak in game chat, a colour speaks.

The extra thing would be an additional sidebar listing all the player's names who are present in the game. You just wouldn't know who was which colour.

The purpose of this upgrade is reduce the discrimination that low-ranked or high-ranked sometimes receive in games.
Lieutenant oliverseeley

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions