Conquer Club

Battle replay

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Battle replay

Postby League on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:55 pm

Hello!

I don't know if something like this is feasible, but some friends and I have discussed several times during an "epic" battle that it would be a lot of fun to be able to replay the entire battle in quick time. Once in a while you get tangled up in a huge battle that goes on for weeks or longer and it would be really cool to be able to re-watch it from the beginning to see how it all unfolded. You could either be watching your demise, your huge comeback or how you dominated your opponents from start to finish.

Is something like this even possible??
Sergeant 1st Class League

Re: Battle replay

Postby ckdoeswork on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 am

Ah, yeah! This would be great!

So many times I've logged in and checked a map after being eliminated and wondered what moves were made. It's one thing to read through the log, but to be able to watch it on a map would be fantastic. Maybe it could be set up so that you could click through pictures that show what the map looked like at the end of each turn or round! That would be fun.
Corporal 1st Class ckdoeswork

Postby jmyork82 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:57 pm

I have often thought of this idea before and think this would be something kind of cool to see. Almost like a little video of the natural progression of the game. I'm sure there would be a way to record the motions through the log with regular game snapshots, BUT i'm sure there are some difficulties that would go along with making this a possibility.

Either way, I will +1 this
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby IcePack on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Unfortunately suggested before and not feasible

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack

Postby BuckNasty00 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:48 pm

oh yea. I thought about that before. Really good idea. It would be great to have that!
Cadet BuckNasty00

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:43 am

IcePack wrote:Unfortunately suggested before and not feasible
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby BuckNasty00 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:15 am

Do you guys run Conquer Club? Whys it not feasible?
Cadet BuckNasty00

Postby IcePack on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:44 am

BuckNasty00 wrote:Do you guys run Conquer Club? Whys it not feasible?

I don't own or claim to run it, but I'm a volunteer here and have discussed this in the past with admin and it's been suggested / rejected before. I worked on the beta team as well.

The site doesn't remember results of rolls, etc to make this a feasible suggestion. And would take a lot of data etc to collect and store for minimal use / core improvement

Major IcePack

Postby IcePack on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:54 am

Major IcePack

Postby degaston on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:01 am

IcePack wrote:
BuckNasty00 wrote:Do you guys run Conquer Club? Whys it not feasible?

I don't own or claim to run it, but I'm a volunteer here and have discussed this in the past with admin and it's been suggested / rejected before. I worked on the beta team as well.

The site doesn't remember results of rolls, etc to make this a feasible suggestion. And would take a lot of data etc to collect and store for minimal use / core improvement

The site would only need to store the data long enough to send it to the players in an email. (If they choose to opt-in to this.) This could be done once each turn, round, or game. The site could discard the data after it's sent, and something could be written later to allow people to replay the game from the data they have received. Poker sites figured this out long ago.

Not that I expect anything to be done about this.
Brigadier degaston

Postby BuckNasty00 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:38 pm

yea I don't know anything about the techinical stuff so I really can't weigh in on how hard it would be. I mean I understand that the site doesn't have resources etc that other sites do. So I can understand if its too expensive or man power to do etc. Thanks for the response IcePack.
I still think it might be something to keep up in the air and talk about.
Cadet BuckNasty00

Postby owenshooter on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:56 pm

BuckNasty00 wrote:yea I don't know anything about the techinical stuff so I really can't weigh in on how hard it would be. I mean I understand that the site doesn't have resources etc that other sites do. So I can understand if its too expensive or man power to do etc. Thanks for the response IcePack.
I still think it might be something to keep up in the air and talk about.

it has been, since 2006, as he pointed out...

Subject: [GL] Playback/Replay/Rewind/Review/History Game Feature

just not feasible for the site... you can always write your own script/add on, as others have done... good luck!!! i would start with the saved snaps after each round and figure out how to play those rapidly, like a flip book...-Jésus noir

Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby jmyork82 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:48 pm

if somebody wrote a script to take a snapshot after each players turn, and found a way to play back all of those snapshots like you just described, I think that could work, right? It wouldnt require nearly as much memory as if you were trying to replay the capture of each territory. Right?

Notice I have no concept of scripts and computer stuff. ;)
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby owenshooter on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:15 pm

jmyork82 wrote:if somebody wrote a script to take a snapshot after each players turn, and found a way to play back all of those snapshots like you just described, I think that could work, right? It wouldnt require nearly as much memory as if you were trying to replay the capture of each territory. Right?

the site already takes snaps after each turn or has the ability to do it. i know you have the option to take a snap after each of your own turns, but not every players turns. perhaps if that could be captured, a simple script could be written... i however, have no idea why you would want to watch this unfold... i'll stick to the dancing michael jackson!-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby jmyork82 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:20 pm

owenshooter wrote: i however, have no idea why you would want to watch this unfold... i'll stick to the dancing michael jackson!-Jésus noir

You know, different strokes for different folks. I guess it would be cool to watch how a game fluctuates through several turns. Just like its cool to watch a dancing Michael Jackson. ;)
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby ckdoeswork on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:51 pm

jmyork82 wrote:if somebody wrote a script to take a snapshot after each players turn, and found a way to play back all of those snapshots like you just described, I think that could work, right? It wouldnt require nearly as much memory as if you were trying to replay the capture of each territory. Right?

I just want to underline this comment. It reflects my thinking (and lack of expertise) on it.
Corporal 1st Class ckdoeswork

Return to Suggestions