Conquer Club

Longer turns because of hurricane

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Longer turns because of hurricane

Postby enjoycocacola on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:59 pm

Millions of people are being evacuated from Hurricane Matthew right now. 24 hours isn't enough time for a turn.
Colonel enjoycocacola

Re: Longer turns because of hurricane

Postby IcePack on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Get a sitter?

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack

Postby enjoycocacola on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:34 pm

IcePack wrote:Get a sitter?

I'm not the only one affected by this, so I'm really making this suggestion on behalf of residents of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina who are on CC. There are a lot.
Colonel enjoycocacola

Postby IcePack on Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:11 pm

I understand, but if they pause or make special arrangements for one region then anytime something happens, others would expect the same treatment. Delay the game here there's a flood, delay there a quake, delay here a hurricane.

The built in "fix" is those people would secure a sitter so that this sort of impractical regional coding doesn't have to take place.

This is just my experience / from the past, I don't see it happening. But I'm not official voice in this capacity **

Major IcePack

Postby betiko on Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:26 pm

things happen all the time around the globe, and CC doesn't stop each time something happens
Major betiko

Postby enjoycocacola on Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:42 pm

All right, forget it then.
Colonel enjoycocacola

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:18 pm

enjoycocacola wrote:Millions of people are being evacuated from Hurricane Matthew right now. 24 hours isn't enough time for a turn.

I totally see where you are coming from here...but the other make a good point. :geek:
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:19 am

IcePack wrote:I understand, but if they pause or make special arrangements for one region then anytime something happens, others would expect the same treatment.

Indeed. Heaven forbid that we have compassion for everyone who has to evacuate their homes. Better that we have none at all.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby IcePack on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:57 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
IcePack wrote:I understand, but if they pause or make special arrangements for one region then anytime something happens, others would expect the same treatment.

Indeed. Heaven forbid that we have compassion for everyone who has to evacuate their homes. Better that we have none at all.

I get it, it's just not practical for a small website.

Major IcePack

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:08 am

IcePack wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

I get it, it's just not practical for a small website.

Sure, I agree that it's too much for the administrator to have to be updating for things like this. That's why I support the ability for a user to take their own vacations at a time they choose :-)

Postby IcePack on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 am

Yeah, and they can by lowering games / stopping games for their vacation or getting a sitter. They already have something in place for that (or this)

Major IcePack

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:44 am

IcePack wrote:Yeah, and they can by lowering games / stopping games for their vacation or getting a sitter. They already have something in place for that (or this)

When a hurricane comes, you don't exactly have time to lower your game count.

As for getting a sitter... I find it incredibly unsportsmanlike that people allow others to take their turns for them. I know it's allowed on this site, but I find it to be odious and have no desire to encourage people to act in that way. Plus, not everyone has friends on this site that they can rely on and/or trust to take turns for them.

Postby Extreme Ways on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:21 am

Metsfanmax wrote:

I dont think this is a lack of compassion, rather a lack of being able to execute it whenever somebody whines about an event that happened in their area. If you're being evacuated right now over there, is CC really the thing you worry about most?
TOFU, ex-REP, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
General Extreme Ways

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:48 am

I was reading a report from Haiti where a lot of people who died refused to go into the shelters and stayed in their shanty towns because they didn't want to lose their stuff. If Conquer Club is on your mind in a Hurricane, you need a reality check and probably some psychiatric help.

I don't support longer turns, but I will support free psych evaluations for those who think missing turns matters.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby owenshooter on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:56 am

agree 100% with what Doom said...

DoomYoshi wrote:If Conquer Club is on your mind in a Hurricane, you need a reality check and probably some psychiatric help.

i think the turn limit should be adjusted to what it was during Hurricane Katrina. let's match that. no, how about the adjustment made while 400 people died in Haiti last night...
i think that is fair... the black jesus has spoken...-JĆ©sus noir

p.s.-good thing this is a casual gaming site... *cough*
p.p.s.-i think if this guy really took the time to do this while being evacuated, he is headed down the same road as benjicat...
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby IcePack on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:06 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
IcePack wrote:Yeah, and they can by lowering games / stopping games for their vacation or getting a sitter. They already have something in place for that (or this)

When a hurricane comes, you don't exactly have time to lower your game count.

As for getting a sitter... I find it incredibly unsportsmanlike that people allow others to take their turns for them. I know it's allowed on this site, but I find it to be odious and have no desire to encourage people to act in that way. Plus, not everyone has friends on this site that they can rely on and/or trust to take turns for them.

Fair enough about lowering your game count.
That's why the sitter is an option. I'm sorry that you feel that it's unsportsmanlike, but we don't base our answers on fantasy land what I wish the site would be under ideal conditions. We base it on reality and what's in the rule book - which is sitting is an allowed and accepted thing. I'm sorry YOU don't wish to encourage that, but it's the answer (like it or not).

I'm sorry but there are things onsite that require schedules (tournaments, clan events, whatever) and 500 peoples game schedules shouldn't just be put "on hold" for one person. Because if you do that, then another person has something happen and it's on pause again, and another, and another. Nothing would ever complete.

The only practical answer is that sitting is a required necessity. Maybe that can be improved but it isn't something that's going away. It's just not practical. It has nothing to do with compassion.

If someone doesn't have a friend on the site, I'm happy to have compassion and offer my assistance for sitting them (and I'm sure there would be others as well). That doesn't change the fact that in practice it's just not feasible to handle this otherwise.

Major IcePack

Postby Symmetry on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Would cancelling the game, as long as the other players agreed be a viable option?

Seems like a possible compromise if the game was unfairly affected due to a natural disaster.

Not a solution, of course- but, perhaps something worth considering.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby IcePack on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:05 pm

That's probably something better to consider over vacation, but if it's an emergency where you have enough time to coordinate everyone agreeing to delete you probably could arrange for a sitter just as easily without any coding being done?

Major IcePack

Postby Symmetry on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:24 pm

IcePack wrote:That's probably something better to consider over vacation, but if it's an emergency where you have enough time to coordinate everyone agreeing to delete you probably could arrange for a sitter just as easily without any coding being done?

I would think it's easier than coordinating a sittter. The chat, game chat, forum and PM functions exist to gather agreement, and can be presented after the fact. The request could be presented before or a after- "I'm gonna be offline for a bit while I flee the wrath of Mother Earth" or "This is the story of the hurricane, which is to blame for something I've not done..." (Sorry, Bob).

It's a flawed compromise as an idea anyway, but perhaps a just one.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

REJECTED / Longer turns because of hurricane

Postby owenshooter on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:18 am

Symmetry wrote:Would cancelling the game, as long as the other players agreed be a viable option?

Seems like a possible compromise if the game was unfairly affected due to a natural disaster.

that would get us back into the whole, "SURRENDER BUTTON" debacle from the birth of the site. we don't want that... oh wait, aren't they testing that on the BETA site? sigh...

regardless, this is still the most insensitive post i have seen on this site in quite some time. i just checked all of the OP's posts within the forums and have found ZERO instances of his posting for other increases in turn length due to other natural disasters around the world... the black jesus has spoken...-Bj
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Mad777 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:21 am

I'm part of those who evacuated and yeah it does sucks! However and because I prep myself I have device charger cord and able to play all my games, even do and as TD Group leader I'm also able to process tournament with my iPhone and iPad.

It is not easy but not impossible....

I agree that we all would like things going to our favor during painful moment like this hurricane but world still moving on for the rest of the world.

Be safe guys!
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby owenshooter on Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:51 pm

let me translate this video... when tsunami begins to become more apparent, the people start screaming,

Japanese to English wrote: "WHAT ABOUT OUR CC TURNS?!! SOMEONE LOG IN, GET INTO SUGGESTIONS AND GET US MORE TIME FOR OUR CC TURNS!!! GO!!! NOW!!! DO THIS!!! FOR THE LOVE OF THE BLACK JESUS!!! GET! THIS! DONE!"

the black jesus has spoken...-Bj

Lieutenant owenshooter

Re: REJECTED / Longer turns because of hurricane

Postby Symmetry on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:25 pm

owenshooter wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Would cancelling the game, as long as the other players agreed be a viable option?

that would get us back into the whole, "SURRENDER BUTTON" debacle from the birth of the site. we don't want that... oh wait, aren't they testing that on the BETA site? sigh..

Hmm, not sure what you're getting at here.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:42 pm

are you sure of anything, sym? i'm pretty sure you're going to waste that month of premium that was gifted to you because you're a dick.
Lieutenant riskllama

Next

Return to Suggestions